After booking this hotel using expedia I wasn't convinced before going if I was going to be delighted with our choice but I was definately proved wrong. The hotel is only about 40 mins drive from Cancun airport and we hired a car and were able to park for free on the street in front of the hotel
Located within 10 minutes walk of the centre of Playa the hotel is in a fantastic location and is in the nicer quieterpart of town with non stop bars and restaurants onr after another on the main street - Fifth Avenue
Hotel is right on the beach which is amazing - no shortage of sunloungers - and service for food/drinks as needed. Rooms were basic but very rustic with lovely pointed wooden roofs and little porches with hammocks. Had AC and fans as very hot day and night. Went H/B had breakfast every day in Lomo restaurant - second restaurant was closed for duration of our stay? Basic buffet and menu options in addition for free - only complaint is the water for tea/coffee was not boiling but luke warm.
Never had dinner in hotel as fun to try different restaurants/bars downtown - never had a bad meal and good value. Great selection of great quality restaurants. The only negative about the resort is the swimming pools - neither are really long enough to swim lengths - ok to cool off but normally this is one of my prerequisites when choosing hotel. It is not critical when the beach is so close however this was disappointing.
Bar area is nice with happy hour daily 5-6pm. Good selection of cocktails but difficult to know whats in each one as no description. Also nice hotel lobby and library area for reading with wireless access
All in all very positive experience, fab beach, great location in Playa, relaxing ambience and exactly the place to stay especially if you don't like the big impersonal resorts that lack character and are too far out of town
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahekal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 198 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen. The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahekal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer televisions. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. The Resort offers meal plans that include breakfast daily and lunch or dinner. This choice gives our guests the opportunity to explore the many dining options in Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, BookIt.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico