My husband and I discovered Mahekal when it was named, "Shangri-La Caribe" and no matter the name, this resort is fantastic and one-of-a-kind! We have stayed at this resort several times with just the two of us, with our boys and with other couples. Every time seems to be better than the last, if that's possible.
Our last visit was in early December with friends and we had one of the beach view bungalows. Ours was the second row from the front and right on the pathway leading to the bar. We were upgraded to this one and it had a few extra amenities and upgraded decor pieces. Outside the patio we had two large planters and in addition to the normal hammock hanging on the patio, we had some pretty little lanterns, that staff would light at night, giving a real romantic and beach vibe to our little home.
Inside the room we had two double beds, small desk and chair, two large closets, and sweet, stylish bathroom. A wooden, sliding door was the entrance to the bathroom and inside was a funky, metal mirror and wooden pegs to hang towels and clothing. It was updated and just really simple and cool.
Keep in mind, if you are a regular at a "W" hotel or "The Ritz" then this may not be for you. The bathroom is small and simple, and yes, you will have a few tiny, teeny ants once-in-awhile around the sink. It's the beach. Little guys get in and no, you will not die.
I love the chunky, wooden blinds that open up to let the fresh ocean air in and sounds of the birds. This resort has all the amenities you NEED. Nothing extra. No tvs, no radios, no clocks, no telephones...it's Heaven.
The Beach. Let's get down to business. The Beach. I think the section of beach in front of Mahekal is some of the best in Playa del Carmen. Yes, it changes. In December there were sections of the beach that were just completely gone; right up to the porches of the beach bungalows. But I bet it's already changed again. The beach is just amazing. It's the best place to relax on the chairs under a palapa and people watch. Complete relaxation. And no beach vendors to ask you to purchase something. It's awesome. You can drink, eat, sleep, read, laugh, talk, play in the ocean, love your partner, hate your partner, play frisbee or just be on this beach.
Breakfast and Dinner. I LOVE Breakfast at this resort. I've said it before, and I'll say it again,"It's my happy place." I love walking down the beach to the pool area and huge palapa breakfast room or walking down the gorgeous, tiled pathway. Either way you get to take in all the beauty of the ocean and beautiful flora and fauna of the resort. The landscaping is amazing and so gorgeous. They obviously take a tremendous amount of pride in keeping up the appearance of the grounds and it shows.
We love sitting poolside and enjoying breakfast outside. You can either order off the menu, Heuvos Motulenos is soooo good! Or you can go inside and select a nice hearty breakfast from the items they have to offer buffet style. Dry cereals, breads, oatmeal, yogurt, fresh fruit, meats, cheeses and fresh fruit juices. I think it is really good and a nice way to start the day.
The staff are all sweet, friendly and will do anything for you! I cannot say enough about all of them. They make a simple cup of coffee a real treat. I was really wistful when I enjoyed my last breakfast there, knowing that the next morning I wouldn't have the luxury of walking down the beach to have these wonderful people make my day brighter.
The Sunday night Fiesta is really good. Although we spend most of our time experiencing all that Fifth Avenue has to offer, the Sunday night is something that you should do. The array of dishes that are served are all delicious and give you a real taste of some traditional Mexican food.
Again the same wait staff are eager to make your Fiesta fun and they love to offer you a "tequila slammer" before being seated. It's cute how they watch for your reaction. We love to cheese it up and ask for another! lol
The best part of the evening is the Marache band that comes around to the tables and plays. The musicians are extremely talented and have a great sense of humor. When you get into it, they love it and get into it and it's so much fun!
Mahekal is truly a place to relax and enjoy yourself and your family. The staff are warm, welcoming and work so hard to make your vacation memorable. I am so excited that I am returning in April. Mahekal, here I come!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahekal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 198 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen. The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahekal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer televisions. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. The Resort offers meal plans that include breakfast daily and lunch or dinner. This choice gives our guests the opportunity to explore the many dining options in Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelPower so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico