“Very good”

Ranked #54 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Paris, France
“Very good”
Reviewed January 8, 2012

So it is playa des carmen and you are neither one tattooed 20 something nor going to spend a week in an all inclusive resort away from town: la tortuga is your hotel.
From the warm and friendly welcome from Anna at front desk, to Fernando who will hold the door for you, the whole staff is nice and ready to help.
La Tortuga is 1 mn away from 5th avenue and very central.
Free wi-fi was available from our room (but slow!)
We were in room 116 which is very nice. We had a private upstairs terrace with Jacuzzi and a hammock in front of our downstairs terrace. Bathroom had a giant bathtub which was nice.
The only downsides : the club "coco bongo" next door can be noisy. It woke us up around 4am the first night (but not the night after).
The breakfast at El bistro is quite good except for the juices that were from a bottle and not freshly squeezed as I had hoped.

Overall I would stay there again.

Room Tip: 116 has its one private roof terrace with Jacuzzi + a hammock in front of ground terrace.
3 Thank matdiver2
La Tortuga H, Manager at La Tortuga Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 27, 2016
Dear Valued Client,
Thank you so much for sharing your comments with us. It makes us really proud and happy to read a review like yours. For us to have such loyal customers like yourself and to receive such encouraging and positive words is the best reward, for all our hard work and obsessive attention to detail and your comments means that we are truly achieving that La Tortuga Hotel & Spa is renowned for and that is exceeding all expectations of our clients.
On behalf of management and staff, we wish you all the best for the future and we sincerely hope to have the opportunity in welcoming you back to La Tortuga Hotel & Spa soon. Keep in touch with us through our facebook page, there you can learn about all our promotions and free upgrades for our repeat clients…
La Tortuga Hotel & SPA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 6, 2012

We stayed at this hotel during our new year's holiday. We went with another couple who chose the hotel based on all of the reviews. The staff was the best part of the hotel (and they were truly awesome) followed by free breakfast and it was located relatively centrally-close to beaches, 5th ave, etc. The rooms were slightly better than mediocre, our tiny room smelled stale and musky, the poorly designed shower flooded the entire bathroom, the air conditioner leaked in the room and so we had to perpetually keep a towel under it, speaking of towels-there were exactly 2 bath towels and 2 hand towels and we had to beg for more, the closet had like 5 hangers and no drawers, just 3 shelves, no iron, no ice machine. And we were lucky with our room, our friends had to switch theirs 3 times-one room barely fit their bed, no closets, shower didn't work at all, etc. They also did not clean the rooms properly-maybe just changed the towels (not sure if they changed the sheets), definitely didn't clean the floors or remove/replace dirty cups and glasses. And the set up of the hotel was strange-it was an open courtyard design with the rooms facing the inside the hotel and the foliage covered the sky, so we never had sunlight-we're in Mexico and we can't see the sun?! You can't really use the pool due to its odd design. Overall we were really disappointed until we realized that the hotel is very cheap throughout the year, however since we stayed there during new year's, the prices tripled. I don't think we will be returning.

6 Thank shiva b
LaTortugaG, Guest Relations Manager at La Tortuga Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 14, 2017
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review La Tortuga Hotel & Spa . We truly value the opinions of our customers and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations, and once again I apologise for that, we are working to achieve a better service and your comments are a great help to identify our areas of improvement.

Kindest Regards,
Washington, DC
Reviewed January 3, 2012

1. If you ever deal with this hotel chain be careful with your credit card, they keep your card number and charge without authorization as they want. We were overcharged for 4 more nights and have to report fraud. If you deal with that management be very careful.
2 the reason we left hotel 4 nights earlier is that rooms have no air and hotel is not clean. Room smell bad, air conditioning unit distributes dust blowing straight in your bed. When we turned it off, then we realized there are no windows except the door to the courtyard. Noise can be avoided if you have ear plugs, but what to do with the army of bugs, there is no net or curtains to protect from bugs. We spent 2 nights sitting on bed and fighting mosquitoes. Our doctor told us that there are bad diseases in MX you get via bugs.
3 exit strategy. We asked to let us out. We cannot continue vacation in such conditions. Manager became rude and told us that if we do not agree to pay for all nights we were going to stay he will get Mexican police put us in Mexican jail. I called US embassy, and will continue working with gov officials to find out if such statements are approved by Mexican gov against US tourists.
Anyway, manager said that if we pay him for one more night that we did not stay in the hotel he will let us out. I gave my American Express card. Johanna on the front desk wanted to keep the card, for what? But when other tourists saw her physically fighting gave it back.

When we stayed in their sister hotel in Tulum my husband gave front desk his debit card.
They charred that card for extra 4 nights without authorization at all.

It is a shame that in such a tourist friendly place such hotels and management can do business.
It is a shame that for the first time in Mexico we have to be concerned for our safety as the La Tortuga manager (Benjamin he said his name is) stated that if we write bad review we will not get out safely.

Shall it be a police matter? But who will compensate for lost vacation time?

Feel free to ask me any questions.

7 Thank KateGold
Benfernandez, General Manager at La Tortuga Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 12, 2012
Dear TripAdvisor friends,

I normally do not write any responses, but in this case I feel compelled to do so, since these guests have gone beyond reporting and have written what is not a review but includes defamatory and disparaging comments, that are not only inaccurate but down right lies that can create a very bad image of me as the manager and our loyal and honest employees.

I have personally worked with this company for 6 years and have spent a total of 18 years in the hospitality industry. It is my job to handle many different situations with a wide variety of guests from all over the world. I have a very clear view of my role in the tourism industry as a professional in a business that feeds many people in our country. My integrity and my position is what has always motivated me to handle my business with respect, even when I have to deal with difficult or stressful situations.

I must clarify, in light of this review, that never in my entire career have I conducted myself without respect and never have I threatened any guest. The conversation I had with this woman, after I had spoken with her husband, was over the telephone. I was in Tulum at that moment it would have taken me an hour to return to Playa del Carmen. The gentleman informed me he wanted to leave without paying as they claimed to be suffering from asthma and breathing problems due to what they described as very unclean and unacceptable conditions in the hotel. I explained I would be happy to help them to find another lodging option, since it was clear to me they just wanted to leave. I went on to explain that they must pay for the nights they had booked in room 202, which has an 8 X 7 ft. door to a private balcony and a 7 X 5 ft. door to an open air garden. I will also mention that even though we have extensive tropical gardens and landscaping, we keep control of insects with the use of safe, biodegradable products.

When they were about to leave, during the checkout process, the woman signed the credit card voucher with a signature different to the one on the reservation card with the credit card. Clearly she was intending to refute the charges as her husband informed me they would do during our exchange on the telephone. It was her husband who threatened me saying the hotel and company would regret it if we did not fulfill his demands. Yanina, our receptionist kindly but firmly asked the couple to sign the credit card voucher with the same signature as appears on the credit card. The woman, who was the cardholder, signed only a with a scribble. Then her husband wanted to sign on his wife's credit card. According to national and international banking regulations, the voucher slip must be signed by the cardholder and this was explained to the couple as well. After all this, the woman finally signed the voucher but without recognizing the charge of the New Year's Eve dinner that they had enjoyed in our restaurant.

We are a serious and ethical company, with more than 10 years of consistent service and I would invite customers to base their opinions and decisions on the overall experiences of first time travelers and the many repeat guests we have had the pleasure to welcome throughout the years.

Please do not hesitate to ask other travelers about their experiences with our hotels or contact me directly with any questions.
Thank you for your consideration.

Benjamín Fernández
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 1, 2012

This was our first time in Playa del Carmen, and did we ever luck out with this hotel! The reviews on tripadvisor are bang on. Great location, short walk to all clubs and restaurants, the pier (ferry to Cozumel), and the beaches of course. The service in the hotel was the best we've ever encountered - they went above and beyond to help us with every aspect of our stay. Our room was average, but very clean and comfortable. Breakfast was delicious, and we loved that they served it until 12noon (and 2pm on Sundays for the late risers). The hotel is a little paradise and we would not hesitate to recommend to friends and will most certainly return in the future.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Tilburg
Reviewed December 29, 2011

Hotel la Tortuga is a little oasis on 10th avenue. For everbody who hates the big all inclusive resorts this should be your choice. The hotel is nice and quiet with lots of personal attention of the staff.

We had a great time and got to know most of the staff pretty well. I got sick after a few days and the girl at the reception made sure the doctor came to the hotel within an hour even when it was christmas sunday. These things make a huge difference on your holiday.

The rooms are kept spotlessly clean, the breakfast is excellent every morning and you feel like you are taking care of. Its a nice boutique hotel with about 40 rooms and no children allowed. We had a nice room with a rooftop jacuzzi, what a luxury! So if you are looking for tranquility this is the place to be. And still you are only 20 metres away from the crowdy fifth avenue.

I want to thank all of the staff: Mickey, Chiapas, Santiago, Fidel, Morgana, Claudia, Pablo and anyone else i may have forgotten.

Is there anything to improve on? Well maybe a few things: There is no possibility to dry your wet swimming trunk on your balcony, the water in the pool is a bit cold and sometimes there is no one to serve you at the bar. But these are just minor inconveniences.

Room Tip: Get one with a rooftop jacuzzi
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Poolaap
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed December 29, 2011

Location right in the middle of playa del Carmen. The rooms are beautifull as is everything in this hotel. the staff is very friendly and helpfull. We stayed in a standard + room. it was great but had no closet space...

• Stayed December 2011
La Tortuga H, Manager at La Tortuga Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 28, 2016
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 28, 2011

My boyfriend and I booked to stay at La Tortuga in August as part of our travels down Mexico and into Belize. We found our stay very relaxing. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, the room was clean and comfortable with a lovely little balcony to sit with a chilled beer and enjoy the pool view. The pool was clean and very well set out. The restaurant food was delicious and the breakfast included was a particular highlight for me! The location was great, not far from one of the bus stations which was great for us backpacking and just a short walk to the beach and great restaurants and shops.

We loved this hotel so much that we decided to book it again on our return from Belize up to Cancun for our flight home, choosing to stay at Playa rather than Cancun for our last few days.

We hope to visit again sometime in the future!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple