“My sweet home at Playa”

and 1 more site!
Maya del Mar
Ranked #179 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

Love this place from the first sight! It's totally different from all I've seen before. So nice jungle inside. They even have pool but who need that if the sea two steps away. Love the decoration of the room. It is fantastic! Love the view from the balcony to the 5ta avenida. They have no elevator. But the hotel guys always happy to help you. Love the girls housekeepers, my bed was always decorated with the towels and beautiful flowers! Great location. You are in the center of everything. And just 10 mins by walk from ADO station. So when you arrive from Cancun airport you don't need a taxi. 7eleven, farmacy, Banorte bank with ATMs - everything is few steps away. Always helpful guys on the reception. And of course I should mention the owners of this hotel - they are nice couple, very friendly, always trying to improve their small paradise called Jungla Caribe. Thank you very much! I really love your place and I'm going to back soon, sure I will book your hotel again! :)
Jungla Caribe es el mejor in Playa del Carmen!
Muchas gracias! Hasta luego!
Saludos de mi parte a todos!

• Stayed: October 2012
There are newer reviews for Maya del Mar

Reviewed September 28, 2012

I am back from a 7 nights stay at Hotel Jungla Caribe and I can't wait to go back there. The staff and the management of this hotel is really great. I had been welcome like a king and been treated that same way the whole week long. The decor is outstanding and when you are inside the garden you feel peace and tranquility. The hotel is located on Quinta Avenida which is a great location right in the center of everything, restaurants, boutiques, souvenir shops, grocery store, banks, etc.......... Although 5th Ave (Quinta Avenida) is very busy and sometimes noisy, I never felt any of that inside the hotel. I had a suite and felt like home there. Whenever I had to ask for anything in this hotel, people were listening and helping. Thanks to all the staff, I wont name any of them cause I would not like to forget anyone. One day, the room had not been cleaned for whatever reason ! I told the front desk and immediatly they took care of it. The suite is very big, lot's of space and the only negative thing was the air conditionning that was noisy. Honestly, just need to put earplugs. If I go back to Playa del Carmen, I am going back to Jungla Caribe Hotel, I was looking for great staff, great management, those things are really important and I found it and found Paradise !!!!!!! The gardens, the swimming pool, the patio, the terrace, everything is perfect for a great time and great vacations.

Room Tip: suites are in the back of the hotel with patio and a great view on the garden
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank pfsb007
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We had a room high up to avoid the noise but the Mariachi band at the restaurant opposite played until 2am every night we were there. Needed ear plugs. The rooms are pretty basic. There are a lot of stairs to get to the higher rooms. The stuff is friendly and helpful though, and the price is right (don't book ahead, negotiate when you get there).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lloydoblt
Reviewed July 29, 2012

A small hotel with helpful, friendly staff a short block from the beach! For me, the exotic decor adds to the enjoyment of Playa del Carmen. My suite was large and clean, and very quiet. I had requested a quiet room because I am a light sleeper, and was put in a room with balcony over looking the garden, at a very reasonable price. I like that the swimming pool is covered; the sun can be brutal, especially in the summer, and it was a very refreshing place to cool off in the shade after spending time on the beach. July is a very crowded time in Playa del Carmen, and the Jungla-Caribe was a quiet refuge (in the location where I was staying). There is a container where you can refill your water bottles (be sure to have a bottle with you). My only criticism was the hard pillows. The bed is hard, which is typical in Mexico, but wasn't uncomfortable,

Room Tip: If you need a quiet room, be sure to request one.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank lorettam55
Reviewed May 15, 2012

I have been traveling to Playa Del Carmen for the last 26 years and have stayed at several places in all price ranges. On my last trip I stayed at Jungla Caribe and it was the best experience I have ever had in Playa. The owners, Rolf and Barbara, are the nicest most gracious couple you will ever meet. The staff is the best I have encountered in all of my world travels and the hotel itself is in the most convenient area of Playa. The charm and ambience it exudes makes it all the more pleasurable. Thank you Jungla Caribe!
Will R. USA

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank WilliamBKR
Reviewed April 1, 2012

Very lovely Boutique-Hotel, the decoration of house and rooms is chosen with exquisite taste. Service and cleanliness are on highest standard. Warmly welcome, and always helpful for any kind of question.

A delicious restaurant belongs to the house, and after a few minutes walk is waiting a turquoise sea with white beach. You can have massages at the beach, which I enjoyed a lot.

Highly recommendable Hotel - for being fit for a queen !!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank pamedebzvird
Reviewed March 10, 2012

First of all, don't believe the posted prices on their website or other online sources... I emailed the hotel directly and the prices were dropped by a over a third! And this was February, not exactly low season...

So overall a really fun place, unusual brightly-colored art throughout (a lamp made from Ken & Barbie dolls!!) and a lovely tile staircase to our top floor apt. (the room we stayed in was actually called the 5th street apartment) Room was almost as fun and colorful as the lobby, very large for a hotel room, not brand-spanking new but clean. Bed was a bit hard but we actually slept really well. Was a kitchen area as well that we did not use but looked decent enough. Large bathroom with tiled walk in shower.

Safes in the room were nice to have, everyone there was friendly but you never know... They also let us keep our bags in their lobby after checking out as we were taking a late night bus. (valuables were kept in locking pockets of course)

It is quite noisy though, (I did end up using my earplugs) so that was a downside. Definitely makes you feel like you are part of the boisterous atmosphere of Playa del Carmen which is what's it all about there anyway!

Still would definitely recommend to appreciators of unusual art or anyone looking for something a bit different then the resort-y, Americanized hotel experience.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple