“Shshshsh”
Review of Paamul Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Playa del Carmen
Paamul Hotel
Ranked #131 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Cuernavaca, Mexico
“Shshshsh”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

This is the kind of place that I would go back, and back, and back and never get tired of it.
The owner was more than accommodating and met our every smallest demands. The rooms are spacious with beautiful terraces 100 feet away from the Caribbean.
It is small and hopefully it will remain this way.
We will come back!!!
Thanks Jose,

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Latusi

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We would have never found this hidden gem without you! After spending 3 nights at a rugged beach-front casita in Tulum it was so nice to arrive at the Paamul Hotel and have a bottle of cabernet wine waitng for us. Add to that air conditioning, a blow dryer, television, fridge and comfy beds and we were in heaven.The rooms were spacious, sunny and clean.

The hotel has a small, refreshing pool, nature trails through the jungle and along the beach, a dive shop and a restaurant. The restaurant is Brazillian and Mexican is open 8AM- 8PM. We had breakfast there and dinner. The dinner was a mixed grill and the very best meal we had our entire week in Mexico. I will write a separate review of the restaurant. The area is quiet at night but Playa del Carmen is only 15 minutes away by car if you desire more action.

We enjoyed the big porch with comfy couch, chaise and chairs. We would sit and read, chat with our neighbors, have cocktails and watch the waves roll in. The beach was excellent for snorkeling. We reserved the rooms and paid in advance and the rate was $100 including tax. Amazing value!!

Paamul is a small, quiet community that consists of the hotel (about 11 rooms), eco-cabanans, a residential neighborhood of new homes and rv's under thatched roofs. It is guarded, quiet and friendly.

We rented a car which was easy and Paamul is directly off the main road 307 South about 70 minutes from the airport. We stopped at the grocery and got beers and snacks since there was a fridge.

Tips: bring your own bug repellant for walks through the jungle, beach towels, good books and snorkel gear.

If you like natural beauty, great snorkeling, good food and total relaxation go to Paamul Hotel!!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 3 but all hotelrooms face the ocean. The eco-cabanas are not ocean front but stil...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank likethewind27
Ottawa, ON
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I sincerely hope this place doesn't get too popular. We stayed here for two nights, then left for Playa Del Carmen for three nights, then returned to Paa Mul for another two nights. We stayed twice in one week, is what I'm getting at.

As you drive into the Paa Mul area from the highway towards the water, it's clear that this is a trailer park. Don't be put off by this. The trailers are covered with thatched roofed structures, tastefully decorated, clean, and are filled with American and Canadian ex-pats who are all too happy to help you find your way if you arrive at night, as we did. These trailers and their often cemented-in structures are constantly in flux and being sold to new disciples of the area. Open kitchens, lovely verandas, all being sold for around 80K and up, apparently.

The hotel is directly on the beach. DIRECTLY. Sixty feet from the lower rooms and you're in the water. You step off your covered porch into sand. The "cabanas", are a completely different animal and are not to be confused with the hotel, but often are. The hotel is a large off-white structure that looks like condos. This is what you want. HOTEL. Be clear to everyone there when you arrive. If you drive down the main road from the highway, you'll drive straight into the office. That's where you get your key, check-in. I stayed in both room 4 and 5, within the same week.

Booking and reservation payment is done via paypal throught the owner, but you can pay the balance in the office with a credit card, pesos, or USD.

Wifi - It wasn't working at all on our first two days, but was thankful not to be distracted. It's spotty, so you have to stay on the hotel staff about getting it repaired if it's not working. When it's working, it's fast. Was only able to get two devices logged in at a time and only on our second stay that week. I feel ridiculous admitting that I used wifi in this amazing little place on vacation.

AC blows cold. The only time we really used it was a night as it's a bit damp in the room (you're 60 feet from the beach, so it's little wonder). To that end, we didn't have the greatest sleeps of our lives. On the plus, you wake up to the most incredible sunrise and private ocean view for 100$ a night. There are families of iguanas that live underneath your porch that sun themselves all day long at arms-length from you.

There is satellite TV with Sky Network, but only a few english channels . Don't bother. Relax outside.

Restaurant. Food was good, a little pricey by Mexican standards. A good variety of mexican dishes and usual hamburger suspects. If you can't finish your meal, they'll literally wrap your plate in plastic wrap, hand you a new fork and knife and you can walk the 100 feet to your room and put it in the in-room fridge and pop it in the microwave for the next day. I hear there are units in the hotel that have a full kitchen option for 25$ more a night. Maybe next time. We did end up spending a few too many pesos at the restaurant as there was no other option. Ceviche, steak, fresh pico-de-gallo. Cocktails are ridiculously overpriced. Pre-drink before heading here. If you stay a 2nd time, breakfast is included here (only toast, freshly squeezed orance juice and coffee), but did save us on spending extra when we didn't need to. I can never really get a feel for staff attitude in these places, but there was the commensurate amount of politesse, and they did cut up limes for our tequila (for our room) a few times. That was appreciated. A little spanish goes a long way too.

There is a little shop at the end of the main Paa Mul road that has usual pop/beer/chips/water, but not much else, so don't count on them for liquor or substantial food stuffs.

The beach is shallow, with plenty of fish and coral, soft sandy bits, and it's no more than 15 feet deep even a couple of hundred feet from the shore. The only worrisome fish we saw was a lion-fish and a barracuda - but apart from that there's plenty to see and very kid-friendly. The beach is public and locals trickle in, but there's rarely more than 10 people on the beach or in the water. It's idyllic and almost hard to believe this place isn't swamped. You'll have the entire bay to yourself quite often. A bottle of water (tap) to wash your sandy feet off before entering your room is a good idea.

I think a 4-5 day stay here would be plenty and am thinking about my next escape here.

It's not perfect, there's not much to do, but it's everything we could have hoped for.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Stu_W1
Hudson, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I recently took a vacation, alone!! No kids, no hubby, just me. I booked a room in Paamul, and have stayed here before but it was long ago before they built the new hotel.

I love Paamul! I did my open water certification with Scuba Mex in 1997 and the dives were amazing.

On my last trip, the whole "scheme" was very last minute...my husband was comfortable with my choice because he was familiar with the place. I spoke directly with Jose and booked an ecological cabana. It was terrific. Peaceful, quiet, convenient. I could not have been happier! then on my last night in Paamul, he moved me to an ocean front suite. Bomb.com!! The restaurant is outstanding and there are lots of ex-pats that actually live in Paamul for a good portion of the year.

so let me sum it up for you...
1. inexpensive
2. relaxing and peaceful
3. friendly people when you want to engage
4. Dive shop on site with super friendly staff (John is the head diver and certified me over 15 years ago)
5. Great food in a restaurant right next to the hotel
6. Decent snorkeling as there is a reef straight in front of your room
7. Convenient! only 12 miles south of Playa del Carmen and close to Tulum too
8. Beautiful rooms; my cabana was rustic, my room was beautiful!
9. Uncrowded and beautiful beach that goes on forever...you just have to "find it"...
10. Safe

If you are looking for everything you need in one place, without a lot of people, this is the place for you. And also, each room has a fridge and microwave. I stopped in the big grocery store in Playa and bought a Styrofoam cooler for my adventures on the road, loaded it up with fruit, pastries, snacks, ice, coke and rum. I was set!! I sat on my porch and fed bananas to the many resident Iguanas. This was one of the BEST trips of my life!!!

Room Tip: You cannot go wrong at Paamul...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank lkhughes
minnesota
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We stayed just two nights. Great rates. Great view. Great for sunning. Only one restaurant on premise so that could get tiring if you don't have a way to get around.
Don't count on Internet. We did. We were told they had it, but needed to ask for the much guarded code each time. My sister was suppose to work remotely, but that changed with her work and that was fortunate because it would have been a big problem. My husbands mother was sick, so that is how we kept in touch and part of why we needed to. Sometimes you cannot totally disappear on vacation.
It reminded us of checking into a cabin up north in Minnesota. I think that area of service could improve. They have a hidden gem that can improve but I'll tell you guests seem very happy and keep returning year after year.

Room Tip: We chose lower level as we could walk right off to take a walk.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank blooney
Paamul, Owner at Paamul Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
We appreciate your comments. We are a small, family run company and upon becoming aware of the internet issues we have upgraded substantially our internet strength and are now offering free internet to every suite in the hotel. In ten more days we will have coffee makers in every suite as well so you can enjoy your coffee from the comfort of your own suite.
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Went to Paamul two weeks ago, with the stress of work and daily issues, My wife and decided to go to Paamul Beach for some R&R, surely we did, between the comfort and peace, the Food (OMG) the food, to simply waking up to the sound of the ocean.....Wow.... total stress relief. Would recommend to anyone who just wants peace and quite with out all the commercial stuff, Paamul is the place!

PS. Very happy wife!

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank Jgvfleet
Cedar Springs
Reviewed February 28, 2013

My wife and I spent three days at the Paamul Hotel with our friend Kevin at the end of our three week vacation in Mexico. Very clean, modern, boutique (12 rooms) hotel on the sea. Paamul is a relaxing, friendly village of 200 or so palapas, mostly Canadian and American retirees. We had a nice stay in Paamul. It is only 20 minutes south of Playa and 30 minutes north of Tulum. Cool place to get away from the hustle of Playa and chill by the sea for not a lot of $.

Room Tip: We had the master suite with very spartan cooking potential.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Aventuras Club
Aventuras Club
#1 of 13 in Puerto Aventuras
Serenity Eco Luxury Tented Camp

Been to Paamul Hotel? Share your experiences!