“LUCKY ME!!!”
Review of Paamul Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Playa del Carmen
Paamul Hotel
Ranked #142 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I recently took a vacation, alone!! No kids, no hubby, just me. I booked a room in Paamul, and have stayed here before but it was long ago before they built the new hotel.

I love Paamul! I did my open water certification with Scuba Mex in 1997 and the dives were amazing.

On my last trip, the whole "scheme" was very last minute...my husband was comfortable with my choice because he was familiar with the place. I spoke directly with Jose and booked an ecological cabana. It was terrific. Peaceful, quiet, convenient. I could not have been happier! then on my last night in Paamul, he moved me to an ocean front suite. Bomb.com!! The restaurant is outstanding and there are lots of ex-pats that actually live in Paamul for a good portion of the year.

so let me sum it up for you...
1. inexpensive
2. relaxing and peaceful
3. friendly people when you want to engage
4. Dive shop on site with super friendly staff (John is the head diver and certified me over 15 years ago)
5. Great food in a restaurant right next to the hotel
6. Decent snorkeling as there is a reef straight in front of your room
7. Convenient! only 12 miles south of Playa del Carmen and close to Tulum too
8. Beautiful rooms; my cabana was rustic, my room was beautiful!
9. Uncrowded and beautiful beach that goes on forever...you just have to "find it"...
10. Safe

If you are looking for everything you need in one place, without a lot of people, this is the place for you. And also, each room has a fridge and microwave. I stopped in the big grocery store in Playa and bought a Styrofoam cooler for my adventures on the road, loaded it up with fruit, pastries, snacks, ice, coke and rum. I was set!! I sat on my porch and fed bananas to the many resident Iguanas. This was one of the BEST trips of my life!!!

Room Tip: You cannot go wrong at Paamul...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank lkhughes

Reviewed March 1, 2013

We stayed just two nights. Great rates. Great view. Great for sunning. Only one restaurant on premise so that could get tiring if you don't have a way to get around.
Don't count on Internet. We did. We were told they had it, but needed to ask for the much guarded code each time. My sister was suppose to work remotely, but that changed with her work and that was fortunate because it would have been a big problem. My husbands mother was sick, so that is how we kept in touch and part of why we needed to. Sometimes you cannot totally disappear on vacation.
It reminded us of checking into a cabin up north in Minnesota. I think that area of service could improve. They have a hidden gem that can improve but I'll tell you guests seem very happy and keep returning year after year.

Room Tip: We chose lower level as we could walk right off to take a walk.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank blooney
Paamul, Owner at Paamul Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2013

We appreciate your comments. We are a small, family run company and upon becoming aware of the internet issues we have upgraded substantially our internet strength and are now offering free internet to every suite in the hotel. In ten more days we will have coffee makers in every suite as well so you can enjoy your coffee from the comfort of your own suite.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Went to Paamul two weeks ago, with the stress of work and daily issues, My wife and decided to go to Paamul Beach for some R&R, surely we did, between the comfort and peace, the Food (OMG) the food, to simply waking up to the sound of the ocean.....Wow.... total stress relief. Would recommend to anyone who just wants peace and quite with out all the commercial stuff, Paamul is the place!

PS. Very happy wife!

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank Jgvfleet
Reviewed February 28, 2013

My wife and I spent three days at the Paamul Hotel with our friend Kevin at the end of our three week vacation in Mexico. Very clean, modern, boutique (12 rooms) hotel on the sea. Paamul is a relaxing, friendly village of 200 or so palapas, mostly Canadian and American retirees. We had a nice stay in Paamul. It is only 20 minutes south of Playa and 30 minutes north of Tulum. Cool place to get away from the hustle of Playa and chill by the sea for not a lot of $.

Room Tip: We had the master suite with very spartan cooking potential.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kmjohn
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had such a great time at the Paamul Hotel and Resort. We loved the relaxed pace and beautiful surroundings. The staff were very courteous and helpful in making our stay comfortable and enjoyable. The restaurant was excellent, the food wonderful and a good value and the service staff were super friendly. We hope to visit Paamul Hotel again soon on our next vacation

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank MNJake
Reviewed February 19, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from yet another trip to Playa del Carmen we love it there, this was the first time we stayed in Paamul and were not sure what to expect! The friend of ours who told us about the hotel said try it you will love it, she was 100% right... We stayed from the 13-15 of Feb. and had a great time, their were just a few things that I am going to post this is not because I was upset with them but because I understand the owners are not onsite and they need to see the comments.

We had dinner the first night there, their were 4-5 employees that I could see from where I was and maybe 10 people in the restaurant. We spend allot of time in Playa but we were charged 80 pesos for a Piña Colada that was served in a Very small Glass. They could have serviced it is a GLOBO or large round glass it uses a but more liquid but you dont feel as if you are being taken.
Also when we were done we asked for La Quenta or the Check and after 4 times the water said ooo do you want the Check.

The second this is that we went to Cozumel the 14th and when we came back our beds were made and the room very clean towels folded ect. The problem was the towels we had used the day before were wet and the cleaning lady folded them as if they were new and they stunk of wet.

The last problem was in the restaurant and that was friday morning, we went to the restaurant and they dont open until 8am so we asked if they had coffee and the kid took his phone out of his pocket and said nope not until 8am. SO we sat there waiting, since I am a gringo the staff must of thought I dont speak spanish which is do 100% and they had mouths like truck drivers. We waited until 810 am and said is their coffee now the other kid said ooo you want coffee it has been ready since 730 am. This is not great for business!

All in all we are planning a family trip in May and are considering returning to the hotel but will keep to eating in Puerto Adventuras and take snacks as the restaurant has allot to be desired.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mexoso
Paamul, Owner at Paamul Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2013

Thank you for your comments. We are a small, family run company and love to hear from our clients. We always strive to be the best we can be. Within the next ten days we will have coffee makers in all of our suites, so you can enjoy coffee from the comfort of your own terrace! Regarding your comments about the restaurant, you are right. We open at 8 a.m. every day. The people you saw before 8 are our cleaning staff and can't serve our guests. And regarding the language of our staff - we are very proud to employ Mayan people who have worked for us for many years. We believe in and support our community and these hard working people who have learned English and excellent service skills. I apologize that they were difficult to understand. I guarantee that the bad language that you thought you heard was our staff speaking in their native tongue, Maya, which is what they use to communicate among themselves. We hope to serve you again during your upcoming trip in May and also hope that you enjoy our improvements.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

This place is beautiful and affordable.The views are amazing and the staff are friendly. You are close to playa del carmen and there is so much to do in the area, snorkle from the beach or just chill by the tiki bar!

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank jerseydonna
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Serenity Eco Luxury Tented Camp
Hacienda Paradise Boutique Hotel by Xperience Hotels
Hacienda Paradise Boutique Hotel...
#51 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Apart Hotel Casaejido
Apart Hotel Casaejido
#33 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Playa Maya
Playa Maya
#101 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
The Elements Oceanfront & Beachside Condo Hotel
The Elements Oceanfront & Beachs...
#95 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Hotel Colibri Beach
Hotel Colibri Beach
#117 of 212 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Paamul Hotel? Share your experiences!