“Loved Playacar Palace”

Ranked #19 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Bluffton, South Carolina
“Loved Playacar Palace”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2006

Great location! What a deal. All inclusive but close to absolutely everthing.

Great rooms, food and service.

Really couldn't ask for anything more because we love all inlcusive but don't like to be confined to the resort.

This resort has everything.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — No
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Jakelowbat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,088)
  • Korean first
Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Playacar and the Aventura Spa Palace. Both were absolutely incredible! The staff is just wonderful! All lovely people, very courteous and gracious. We had absolutely zero problems the whole time. Aside from a little scorpian on our balcony at Aventura, and they quickly sent someone up to take care of it.

The food is great in both places, but paticularly wonderful at the Playacar. The restaurants at Playacar are just beautiful, and the buffet during the morning and the day are amazing. I live in NYC and the buffet at the Playacar alone was NYC restaurant quality! Aventura food is not quite as good, but still lovely none the less.

We paticularly enjoyed the pools and spa at Aventura, but there is no beach. The lagoon there is fun to snorkel and kayak in. The beach at the Playacar is just lovely, and the hotel is very close, walking distance, from the dock that the ferry comes in to take you to Cozumel.

We went to Cozumel for the day and spend some time at the Palace resort in Cozumel until our snorkeling appointment later that afternoon. Cozumel Palace is not as big as the other 2 palace resorts, but very nice none the less. There is a beautiful infinity pool. And there are steps to walk down into the ocean, and snorkeling gear. Although, no beach. This resort is definitely a place for serious snorkelers or scuba divers. Cozumel has some of the best scuba and snorkeling around. We signed up for one fo the $25 trips at the dock when you get off the ferry. I have to say we were a little worried we had been taken for a ride (untrusting new yorkers and all), but it was one of the best snorkeling trips we had ever had! 3 hours of amazing snorkeling for $25!!!! The guide was very informative, and a great snorkeler. He dove down to the bottom with my underwater camera and took pictures of eels and such for me. I can't freedive that deep, but he could go 25 feet down on his own!

Anyways, the Playacar Palace is absolutely gorgeous, best rooms I've been in, with two person jacuzzi in each room! You'll have a great time at the Palace Resorts unless there is something wrong with you!!! ; )

• Liked — The Rooms and The Food
  • Tips/Secrets — The buffet is amazing! Eat at all the restaurants.
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple
28 Thank Jessicafungirl
Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2006

My husband and I just returned from our Honeymoon. We stayed at the Playacar Palace in Playa del Carmen and it was AMAZING!!! I would recommend it to everyone!!!

First of all, I was a bit worried that we would not have an oceanview room. Boy, was I pleasantly surprised!! If we would've jumped off our balcony and taken 10 steps, we would have been in the ocean! The rooms were so great. We had a HUGE double jacuzzi that we spent A LOT of time in. The bed was SO comfortable. (we are thinking about getting a new bed at home now)

The service was excellent all around the resort. The bartenders and entertainment staff and servers are very friendly and will do anything for you. The one day it rained, I mentioned wanting chips and cheese from the outdoor bar and before I knew it, a bartender (Alejandro) had gotten it for me. They definitely take pride in their work!!

The food was excellent and there was MUCH variety. We especially enjoyed the oriental restaurant (teriyaki shrimp, yum) and the italian restaurant (parmesan soup, yum). And, of course, the drinks were great. Try a banana monkey!! We definitely had our share of chips and cheese and bottled water!!

A few special staff members to say HI to: Alejandro and Alberto at the Aqua Bar, Victor and Gonzalo at the Lobby Bar and Alejandra and Esthella, entertainment staff!!

The staff did a great job making us feel like Honeymooners. We even had a special dinner one night!! It was a great way to spend our first week married. We already can't wait to go back!!

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to email me at: jesshegle@hotmail.com.

Jessica and Chad, Minnesota

• Liked — Great location!!
  • Disliked — Did not want to leave!!
27 Thank MinnesotaUSA
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2006

Just returned from a 3 night/4 day stay at Playacar Palace July 27-30. I'm early 30's my husband is late 20's...we went looking for a relaxing, peaceful, fun and of course great vacation....it met all of our expectations. We booked through goawaytravel--.

Airport drive to hotel is about 50 mins. give or take. Upon arrival we received a nice, refreshing towel and a glass of champagne. Nice touch! Hotel is sleek, white, modern, and semi-upscale. The minute we walked in we were ecstatic. There is not wait ever at the hotel including the restaurants which was exteremely nice to not have to deal with reservations. All staff was extremely welcoming and their key phrase is "It's a please to serve you". After arriving early morning we decided to plan out our 3 day trip (4th day we had early departure so it didn't count)...the guest services will try to get you to do the "Palace Membership" but I was pretty upfront and explained we had not interest we were only there for a quick 3 day vacation and wanted to not use the promotional package offered, being that I planned out our activities prior to leaving. Instead we met with our Fun Jet rep and I explained what interests we had. Within 10 mins we planned out of activities:

1st day there: Went over to Cozumel Palace for great snorkling at the hotel! Ferry ride was fine over (be sure to sit at the top if you don't want that rocky feeling) We borrowed their snorkling gear (which included new mouthpieces so you don't have to worry about that). There were eels, sting rays, beautiful colored fish and the water was crystal clear blue and beautiful. We are all about beach (Never understood why sit at a pool when you are in the Caribbean?). Snorkling gear available till 5 pm, but we found inside the hotel a place to rent them till 7 pm for $5 ea. After snorkling we went back about 7 pm for dinner at the Japanese restaurant...sushi was fair (I'm a sushi eater) and had great dinner (they accomodated my changes to the entree without a problem).

2nd day: Went over to Xel-Ha early am for the entire day...next time I will plan to take a taxi or other means of travel as to avoid the wait on others...it wasn't that big of a deal, but would help us plan our own full day. Xel-Ha was great...there are some areas of brown spots of water in Xel-Ha when you are snorkling, but be sure to venture out further (using life jackets) and snorkel by the cove (great photo opps). We did all inclusive and this was nice since we stayed all day and didn't have worry bout carrying money around. Food was okay (not as great as hotel). Drinks great...be sure to have the Xel-Ha. I did find when we came out from snorkling we smelled of "metal" but a quick rinse in the showers fixed that. We did the inner-tubes and loved it! The water in that area seemed to be much better. Be sure to take every opportunity to have them take your photos b/c you don't have to purchase them, but it's nice to have some choices and memories after your day is complete.

After Xel-Ha we went back and had dinner at the Italian restaurant...I had the beef fillets and they were very juicy and delicious. Be sure to toast with a Kir Royale. Yummy to the tummy! Dessert was great as well! Afterwards, we checked out the "steps away" night life on 5th avenue...we are more into the Latin music so we skipped the Chicken Dance, Macarana stuff and took a cab to other bars. Ask a taxi driver and they'll give you some references,,,,great places include Blue Parrot, Mambo something? and we checked out a hole in the wall bar with a live band...there was a small cover charge of $5 but it included Del Sol beer upon entering, pop corn and they have great Tequila, and inexpensive beer (and of course great tunes such as Mana, Juanes, and great dance music, although there was really no dance floor..we left with the feeling of that was what hanging out at the bar means!

3rd Day: We arose early for the ATV/Speed Boat tour. If to do over again, I would of just planned my entire day (taking a cab or shuttle) at Marina Morona Paradise. There you can start early am at 9 and do a variety of tours (ie. snorkling, ATV, Deep sea fishing, etc). We decided to pay a bit more and do Jet Ski instead of Speed boat. My husband and I share the same ATV and Jet Ski. Water was absolutely gorgeous, blue and we were very glad to have done the jet ski to truely enjoy the water. (We previously did the ATV Jungle Tour in Cozumel the year prior and probably enjoyed that even more b/c that included a "real Jungle tour" ride in a Geo Tracker, lunch on a secluded beach, Tequila factory and other sight seeing events). Note, this tour is not all inclusive. We did have a little trouble with the driver taking us back to our hotel once the day was done, but finally we made our way back (I think we were the only ones I saw having issues with our ride back).

Once back at hotel we only had time to shower and dress for our next and final tour of the Sunset Cruise and Surf and Turf dinner on the beach. This I have to say in a nut shell was very romantic, sweet and relaxing. Our boat (we had 20 other couples with us) did hit some rocks, but our crew quickly got us out of that situtation (no kidding). I took it as an isolated event. This was all inclusive so a variety of drinks were served on the 2 hour boat ride as we sailed. Once on the beach it was a great and fun dinner with dancing included. This concluded our last night and I have to say we truely enjoy every minute.

As for the hotel, it was clean, never had a problem, but yes as you have read before the tiles can be a bit slippery...if I had or need major back, hip replacement, I probably wouldn't take a chance, but from my experience every hotel has tile. The staff was friendly and very accomodating..room service was great and our room (as you can tell we were in and out) went the extra mile to clean our room. the photos posted from others and on Palace web site is a true picture of the hotel. Leave the shampoo, conditioner, hair dryer, lotion (seriously) all at home. Farouk is a great brand and it would've saved me some packing and money had I known these were available. We were celebrating our 3rd anniversary and our first night there we had in our mini fridge a decorated cheesecake and champagne to help us celebrate..very nice touch!

Overall you can see I would go back in a heart beat! (I have to say I did look around for the Hector that was mentioned in someone else's review, but never saw a Hector..I was ready to find him and give him a piece of my mind!)

Anyway, I know some may wonder but we talked them down on us doing all three tours and we paid $400 for all 3, two were all inclusive. Sorry this is so detailed, but it may help someone make their choice of where to stay. (I originally was booked for Riu Riviera Maya, but wanted a hotel that was not overbooked and had the smaller hotel feel)

• Liked — Great location, great staff and very clean rooms (Rooms did NOT have mildewy smell)
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring tips b/c that is how they earn their money.
32 Thank Lgrpa
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Playacar Palace for four nights in mid July. We had a very relaxing time. The Palace is a wonderful hotel. The staff is warm and friendly, especially Francisco. I can't rave enough about the service. Everyone was polite and we always felt welcome. No one bothers you to play games or buy things. The three restaurants at the hotel were great. We enjoyed the food served at the restaurants very much. The Japanese restaurant was excellent! We loved it so much we ate there twice out of the four nights. Because the hotel is small, there is no getting up early and waiting in line to make a reservation for dinner. The hotel is very clean and decorated in a modern, cool style. Our room was nice and clean and the bed was comfortable. We had no complaints at all regarding our maid service or the amenities in the room. We always had plenty of towels and the room was very nice. We loved our ocean view. Every morning we pulled our drapes open and saw that it was just another day in paradise! Included in the hotel package is room service. Every morning our breakfast arrived to our room within 10 minutes of the time we requested. How great is that! The resort is right on the beach next to the to the town of Playa del Carmen. You could walk down 5th Avenue where the shops are many. Some of the shops are upscale and funky. You can take the ferry (next to the resort) over to Cozumel for snorkling, restaurants and shopping. Also, when you stay at a Palace resort you can visit all the other Palace resorts and use their facilities. Since we only had four nights, my husband and I spent all our time relaxing at the Playacar Palace. The beach at the Playacar Palace was pretty good despite Hurricane Wilma. Every day more of it returns. The beach is clean and the water just beautiful. We spent every day at the beach mesmerized by the clear turquoise water. We sat there again every night after dinner, listening to the waves looking at the stars and the lights of Cozumel. We have been to Playa del Carmen many times and stayed at many resorts, but we really enjoyed the Playcar Palace so much and will return again. Also, the four night stay was a nice getaway and we can't wait to come back again soon. We have no hesitation recommending this wonderful romantic resort.

• Liked — Great service, cleanliness
  • Disliked — nothing
27 Thank Mayamaiden
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2006

My husband and I just returned from a week long vacation at the Playacar Palace. This was our first visit to Playa Del Carmen and we will definitely go back. We had stayed at the Moon Palace Sunrise two years ago and we much prefer the smaller, more intimate Playacar Palace. The beach is absolutely beautiful and the color of the water is simply breathtaking.
Our room was very, very nice and very comfortable. It was so nice to sit on the balcony and have such a beautiful view of the water and fun to watch the ferries to Cozumel.
The food is absolutely wonderful. A much smaller selection than the Moon Palace but what was available was delicious. We ordered room service breakfast every morning and it was always in our room by the time we had requested. A quick call to room service after we were through and our tray was picked up promptly. My husband was accustomed, while staying at the Moon Palace, to the outdoor grilled steaks. We did not find these at the Playacar Palace but we took the ferry to Cozumel and had dinner at the Cozumel Palace where the grilled steaks can be found.
We thoroughly enjoyed the smallness of the Playacar Palace. The staff was so friendly and helpful. We became very friendly with the night bartenders at the pool bar (Alfredo and Caesar) and found them to be as entertaining as the shows.
We will definitely go back. We always felt perfectly safe both at the resort and in Playa del Carmen on 5th Ave.
Take a lot of 1's and 5's as it is very difficult to get change in American if you want to break larger bills. All change is given in pesos.
I would rate our vacation as higher than a 5 if that option were available.

• Liked — Friendliness and comfort
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring lots of American small bills
23 Thank goldtreever
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2006

After hurrican Wilma, and the destruction of the Beach Palace (which was our original destination) we decided to stay at the newest Palace resort in PDC. We were pleasantly surprised to find the staff, food and ambiance amazing. The rooms were clean, modern and most have a ocean view. The staff were amazing and a special thank you goes out to Fransisco, Juan, Mercedes, Leo, Netza and Myriam.
Our mission on our vacation was to relax and 'de-stress' and found we could do this at the Playacar Palace. They made us feel very welcome and invited. Within walking distance are a multitude of options including a walk of 5th Ave, the ferry to Cozumel, or even walks through neighbourhoods considered to be 'gated' communities. Everyone we met was friendly and we never felt unwelcome.
We plan to come back in 2007!!

Stayed January 2006
20 Thank nuticanuk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,925 reviews
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#7 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,549 reviews

Been to Playacar Palace? Share your experiences!