“What more can be said? Wonderful!”
Review of Playacar Palace

Playacar Palace
Ranked #23 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed April 24, 2009

My wife and I and our 13 yr. old son enjoyed the Playacar Palace the week of April 5-12, 2009. The resort was just as previous reviewers have said. Food was very good both in the ala cartes and the buffet. We didn't get the best room in the house as far as a view goes, but it was large enough, clean and comfortable and very nice. The public spaces of the resort are well maintained, and always clean and inviting. I think the thing we enjoyed the most were the people working there. They are without a doubt the most friendly, enjoyable people we've ever experienced in an all-inclusive resort. Everyone greets you as you pass in the hallways, lobby and pool areas. The servers in the restaurants are top notch. They greet you with a smile and make you feel very welcome, and they go out of their way to serve you. It creates such a great atmosphere! My personal favorites were the guys and gals that worked the "Aqua Bar" (poolside/swim up bar). A shout out to Carlos, Gonzalo, Carmen, Fernando, Antonio/Gaspar and the nice lady at the grill.. never got her name. These people were the absolute best! My drink was always full, anything I needed they got for me and treated my family like royalty. Ask them to show you their tricks, very entertaining. The activity people were great also. Eddie, Juan, Sergio and others kept things hopping at the pool with games, music and a few laughs. The hotel is within an easy walk of Playa del Carmen's 5th ave. shopping area which makes shopping very convenient. We had a fantastic time at the Playacar Palace and highly recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank roblinick
There are newer reviews for Playacar Palace

Reviewed April 23, 2009

My family & I ( 3 families ) stayed at the Playacar Palace from 4/8 to 4/15/09 , and we could not have been more pleased with our selection. I am in charge of selecting the " right " resort , and I always agonize over the choices , while trying to pick the perfect place for vacation. We travel with my 2 grandbabies ( age 5 & 3 ) , so we like small , compact resorts with great food and not too many complicated processes for dining reservations . Checkin was easy , fast with cold towels , champagne , the rooms were ready at 12 noon - that doesn't happen too often - the buffets were excellent , and the alacarte restaurants were delicious - no reservations required - never a wait more than a couple minutes - the staff was sooo attentive , food selections were varied and tasty . The pool was lots of fun with water aerobics , lots of pool games and fun , and the wait staff served drinks and food poolside all day . Rooms were beautiful , most with oceanview and view of the ferry , and all with in room large jacuzzi tub . Whenever you wanted to shop or have nightlife , the town of Playa del Carmen was walkable and safe . There were about 7 tours included - we only did one which was fun - the zipline canopy tour , and you could use any of the other Palace resorts for the day - we went to the Cove Palace - brand new and lovely - all the food and drinks,etc were all included there as well . All in all , we really enjoyed the Playace Palace , and I would definitely go back . We have been to most of the Caribbean islands , and several destinations in Mexico , and this hotel is right up at the top of my list.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank griffsgram
Reviewed April 11, 2009

Our stay was four days right in the middle of Easter week, when everything is overcrowded. We got just what we asked for: A middle size hotel, not crowded, no need for reservations at the restaurants, great food in all venues, and most importantly, a first.rate service from everybody. The rooms are nice, ample, the AC works to perfection, a nice view to the Caribbean, a good sized Jacuzzi in the room. Drinks are good enough, Wines, although not spectacular, are well chosen in general. What could be improved? The gym is not inside the hotel (it is very nice, though, weel equipped and transport is free) and it closes a bit too early for my taste (6 PM). The pool lacks depth (1.5 m in the deepest area). Certainly invited to come back, mainly because of the people that work here.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GSMF
Reviewed April 5, 2009

just got back from a wonderful stay. This was our 3rd stay there and the employees that were there when we were there last remembered us. They all say "welcome home" when they see you. . They cant be nicer and friendlier. The only complaint I have is that they now have this concierge class. So if you stayed in one of those rooms before (as we did) and wanted to stay again you had to pay extra. We are Palace members and paid a lot of money for our membership but they seem to be taking things back from us. We used to get a wine list in the restaurant, no more. Top shelf licquer is hard to find. But that is ok if they serve the crap stuff at the pool cause most people take a sip and waste it anyway, especially the young kids. They should stick to beer. I guess the economy is creating some of these problems. The food was better than ever before. Ill write more later on

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mrslick
Reviewed March 23, 2009

This was my first all-inclusive experience and was extremely wary of what was in store. I normally stay at Ritz Carltons and was expecting a significant drop off. To my surprise and elation, the Playacar Palace was fantastic. Its about 40 mins from the airport and the surrounding areas seem a bit suspect but once you get to the hotel, you realize why this place get such great reviews. The hotel itself is a bit aged but they do a great job with the upkeep and it is spotless. My wife commented when we got to the room that it didnt smell like a hotel room. We had 2 connecting rooms with a beautiful ocean view. It was fine but if i had a do over, i would insist on rooms with balconies. Again, the room was spotless with fully stocked liquor cabinet and mini fridge. TV is a bit limited with english speaking channels but does the job. Wireless internet was perfectly fine and the unlimited long distance phone was a nice touch. The staff at the hotel was great. They were not in your face at all but the minute you needed anything, they were immediately there for you and were accommodating, polite and friendly. The food was my biggest surprise. I was expecting trays of mac and cheese and hamburgers. What we got were a vast array of choices that were not massed produced. Plenty of dishes for kids as well as more adult choices of beef, chicken, salads and lots of "local" flavor as well. The pool setup is great, lots of chairs available, a great bar and a small beach. If you are looking to hang at a beach all day, this isnt the place for you however, the pool is just above the beach so you are practically on it anyway without the hassle of sand all over you. The service at the pool is a bit spotty, you are better off getting up and ordering a drink or food from the bar yourself (you'll appreciate the exercise anyway). I cant speak for the tours but the people i was there with all had good things to say about them. We did a swim with the dolphins with my kids which was really nice however, considering the cost (figure $600 for 3 kids when all is said and done), id skip that and wait to do it in the states. Wasnt the most upscale venue but was still the highlight for my kids. The market right outside the hotel was a lot of fun. Everything is negotiable so dont get sucked in. Couple of minor critiques; the diet coke from the fountain was not very good (and probably not diet coke) and the room keys had to be re-programmed at least once a day which was annoying. The hotel is not quite as elegant as a Ritz however, it was clean, i didnt see a bug the entire time and you felt like you were at a 5 star resort. One more thing to mention, this was a company trip and we had events every night at the hotel. The events were top notch, with great food, entertainment and service. We ran a golf tournament at the beautiful golf course run by the hotel, very challenging championship course located at the same site as the spa which my wife said was amazing. I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone who runs incentive trips or business meetings. My salespeople had the time of their lives and i know they appreciated not having a big incidental bill at the end of it. If you are a little picky about where you like to stay (ie, a little snobby) and are looking for a great place at a reasonable price, GO THERE!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
5  Thank storapps6
Reviewed March 23, 2009

Me and my husband went to Mexico for our honeymoon last September. We stayed one week in Moon Palace 5star and one week in Playacar Palace 4star...
Al I can say is Moon palace is no where near as nice as this hotel.

The location is perfect right in the centre of Playacar, its really safe and lots of things to do. Stunning beach and great staff.

If your going to Playacar then this is the hotel to stay at.

Food was strange - Italian was really good and so was the Oriental, Mexican on the other hand was terrible and I mean terrible! We had to order room service as the food was so poor. Dont let this put you off. Just dont eat there! Eat elsewhere.

Roms are really clean and are very modern. I will defo go back and visit again.
They have a Wii Fit in the kids games room which we played on one night. Great place great staff, great beach.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank soulsis6
Reviewed March 8, 2009

My husband and I just got back from our Honeymoon at the Playacar Palace. We loved it! The location is the best....steps away from 5th Avenue - Playa del Carmen.....steps away from the ferry to Cozumel. The service was incredible and the food was delicious!! We took the ferry over to Cozumel and went to the Cozumel Palace (another great resort) for the day! We had a great time there......the water was gorgeous...great for snorkeling. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone! We truly had an wonderful Honeymoon! Best all-inclusive I've ever stayed at!!

Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
#47 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#32 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Viva Wyndham Azteca
Viva Wyndham Azteca
#74 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#40 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#16 of 21 in Akumal

Been to Playacar Palace? Share your experiences!