“My heart stayed at Playacar Palace”
Review of Playacar Palace

Playacar Palace
Ranked #20 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Los Angeles, CA
“My heart stayed at Playacar Palace”
Reviewed November 23, 2008

I absolutely LOVED this place! The location was like the famous Corona commercials and the things to do were numerous.

The hotel was all-inclusive and boy did we really take advantage of that. We ate at the international buffet, the Italian restaurant and, my personal favorite - the asian place. Our waitor Josue was amazing...truely my new friend. In addition, room service is 24 hrs...as in turkey club sandwich and fries at 3 am. He he!

I loved going on all of the included tours (Chichen Itza, Tulum, swimming with the dolphins!). And I loved that we could go to any other Palace Resort and wine, dine, and be entertained there as well...totally included! Some of the other Palace Resorts were so beautiful and fun. I highly recommend going to Xpu-Ha Palace, where you can snorkel, kayak, and see a zoo of animals.

I must say, however, that Playacar Palace was especially unique. There is so much do: Karaoke nights, the fire show, the circus show, the Mexical Folkloric show, poolside games and activities, and the amazing aqua beach! There are like 6 colors in that water! There is also the famous "Senor Frogs" next door and 5th Ave., a long street with shops, bars, and extravagant-looking restaurants. And above all, I absolutely ADORED the staff. They are some of the most genuine people I have ever met (and I have done my share of traveling around the world). These people truely make me feel better about human beings as a whole. It's nice to know that there are still a lot of quality people out there. I will treasure that forever.

In conclusion, I thank my bro and his wife for their 10 years of marriage and allowing us to go to paradise to share their renewal of vows. I will never forget this place. I will never forget the good times with my family. I will never forget the good times with my new "amigos." As they say... "fue un placer."

Hasta pronto!!!!

• Liked — All-inclusive, the staff
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
6 Thank SLuque

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,116)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed November 20, 2008

We traveled to Playacar Palace in the middle of November with some family members to celebrate our wedding anniversary and renew our vows and can't say enough about the great service we received from ALL the staff. We have also stayed at other Palace resorts before.

The Restaurants are fantastic. The buffet for breakfast and lunch is great, good variety, we loved the different “tropical” juices every morning. They knew exactly what type of juice we drink in the morning and they would serve it even before we ask for it; that’s how personalized the service is.

I totally recommend both the Italian and Japanese restaurants for dinner. They both offer excellent menus and the staff can’t make enough to accommodate any request you may have. If you go to the Asian restaurant, make sure to ask for Josue, the best waiter EVER, he is officially our “amigo” now, everyone is just ready to help you in whatever you may need. On top of all that, you also get room service 24 hours!

Our wedding coordinator Dulce was excellent, I didn’t have to do anything just had to show up, and be ready to have a great time. She took care of everything else always with a smile on her face. We have the best memories ever.

The entertainment staff was awesome, very friendly and always trying to keep the crowd going, but nothing out of control, you decide if you want to participate or not. Our group love to do different things, so we did enjoy everything from karaoke night to salsa classes.

The rooms are super clean and every room has a jacuzzi tub.
The spa is fabulous too; it's 5 mins away from the Hotel. All the tours are also included, I highly recommend Chichen Itza and Tulum, amazing beach! The beach at the hotel is not big, but it’s enough to enjoy. Beautiful turquoise water.

Finally, you can't beat the location, it's close to town in 5 minutes you're in 5th ave...small street with lots of stores and restaurants.

• Liked — The service
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank ilovetraveling21
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed November 15, 2008

My wife and I are avid Carribean travellers so take this with a grain os margarita salt.
This hotel is not the massive multi-building, 2,000+ room type place. It has less than 300 rooms and since we were visiting prior to high season, it was probably half caacity. We never had to wait for a table, or cocktail, or lounge chair.
The rooms are big enough for 2, or maybe 4 if two are younger and if modesty is not an issue. In-room beverages, beer and cocktails always replenished, and they'll change items out if you like.
The pool arae has a decent swim-up bar, as well as servers who'll bring drinks. About 4 or so, most of the pool is shaded. It is still comfortable. The only regret is there is no hot tub in the pool area.
There were some children there, but they were well mannered.
The breakfast is enjoyable and varied, with odd-named juices to try each day. Vampire juice made with beets and other veggies/fruits was the carziest!
Lunch is buffet (same restaurant as breakfast), or poolside (burgers, fries etc). What we missed was the a la carte lunch at the restaurant at the spa/golf clubhouse, which is a 5 minute shuttle (free) from the lobby.
The Spa (we think) has a gender-separate whirlpool and sauna/steam, as well as a full service spa. The Couples Romantic Massage was enjoyable, but for $260 USD, we could have had 4 or 5 massages on the north side of the Marina (to Cozumel), where a man has 2 tables and canopies to shield you from the mid-day sun. I was told a one-hour massage was $25.
Speaking of that area, you can go there to soak up sun after the pool area gets shady. 5 minute walk. The guys will try to sell you everything. One guy said he would take "less advantage of us" than the others. He used more common parlance.
The hotel has great vacation planners who assist you with tours and spa/golf services. A daily shuttle to Moon Palace is provided. Adventura Spa is about 15 minutes and you'd need a taxi.
Nearby areas to consider: Tulum, Xpa-Ha, Cozumel (and Cozumel Palace) and the broad array of shops within walking distance of the resort. The Ferry leaves at different times each day and costs about $24 USD per person round trip.
We are sure to return, and we usually prefer to explore "new" places before a return visit, so that says a great deal.
There are some nightly activities and the fire show is one that you should get seated for early, you'll have seats and you'll have a good view. Consider the edge of the pool between the steps and grab a chair.

• Liked — 45 minutes from Airport and Access to all Palace Resorts in the greater area
  • Disliked — Wish it had a whirlpool/hot tub in the pool area to keep friends poolside after sundown
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John-Jane-Midwest
UK
Reviewed November 12, 2008

Our friends daughter, although living in Bermuda, decided to get married in Mexico. This hotel was highly recommended, so 30 of us set out from the UK and America to stay at the Playacar Palace.

This is one of the smaller hotels in the chain but it turned out to be one of the best. Not too crowded, so plenty of sun beds and the service and food was second to none. From the cleaners to the waiters, the staff just couldn't do enough for you.

You can also visit other hotels in the chain taking advantage of the all inclusive package.

This is without doubt one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at and I would highly recommend it.

• Liked — Everything
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EasyriderUk
Stuart, FL
Reviewed November 3, 2008

We just came back from Playacar Palace. We had a wonderful time in this property. We ( 4 adults, 2 kids) were impressed with the location, SERVICE, food, etc. This was one of the BEST vacations we ever had (we travel quite often).

We also visited XCARET and Tulum. Both were amazing. Don't miss them.

Complaints...None.

• Liked — Service, location, and food.
  • Disliked — Nothing that I can think about.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Stuart_traveler
Deptford, NJ
Reviewed October 25, 2008

This was our 4th time to Mexico and our 4th palace resort. Once we stayed at our first Palace (Moon Palace - 5 years ago) we never went back. This vacation was no exception. The resort is clean, contemporary and comfortable.

The room: As usual, the neutral decor, comfy bed and the all important hot tub. In this one, the hot tub is at the front of the room near the doors to the balcony which I loved, because you could see the ocean from it. My boyfriend took a little issue with the level of privacy for the WC because of the frosted glass door; didn't bother me any.

The pool: Lovely, clean and plenty of space. Every day we had a space inside the pool, with our chairs on the ledge. The pool bar was convenient. The view is amazing. What else can I say?

The "beach": Although there isn't much beach, this didn't affect me one bit. The water is beautiful and you can walk right down from the pool into the ocean.

Entertainment: The entertainment staff was awesome - they worked hard to get everyone involved and they had something called the "lazy game" where you could just sit in your chair and they came over to each group and asked a series of trivia questions - however got the most questions right won a prize (a t-shirt or other palace paraphernalia); one day we won a t-shirt after a tie-breaker question. There was a magic show one night. I was prepared for something a little cheesy - but I was pleasantly surprised that is was high quality; I was even pulled on stage for a trick.

Food: Although there isn't much selection, its very good. The buffet changes daily and has a ton of different dishes including made to order omelets. The Asian restaurant was excellent and we got the signature flaming dessert.

Palace Resorts are top notch. After trying many others, we always go back to the quality and "sure thing" at Palace Resorts. If you want feel like royalty, I highly recommend this resort.

• Liked — Everything
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank vacationofalifetime
Memphis
Reviewed September 23, 2008

Great place. However:
* wish we would've taken our own SHEETS- theirs felt like Sandpaper.
* No Hot Tub outside. That would've been nice. We went in the middle of Summer & the beach water was cold. I was Shivering every time we got in. So a hot tub beside the pool would be nice.
* No DVD player or rental.
* Only a few channels on TV. Very Boring tv. (Maybe they've changed this?) When stuck inside with a sleeping husband, There was not much to do. Wish there would have been SOMEthign on tv. I would have loved to have rented some good movies... Maybe just bring your laptop & dvds for entertainment.
* Limited night menu - room service

Everything else was great!

• Liked — the friendly people & food
  • Disliked — Small room
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#18 of 23 in Akumal
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#44 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Playacar Palace? Share your experiences!