“Can't wait to return to Paradise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Playacar Palace

Playacar Palace
Ranked #18 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Nashville, Tennessee
“Can't wait to return to Paradise!”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

My family and I were looking to venture to an all-inclusive resort for our summer vacation this year, and some family friends of ours suggested Playacar Palace. We took their word for it, and now we will forever be in their debt. Playacar Palace exceeded our expectations every single day we were there (7 days, to be exact). The view from our room overlooked the ocean, and the resort itself was easy to navigate once we got settled. Everything from the food, drinks, entertainment, staff, water, views, experience....EVERYTHING was amazing! Every morning we woke up, lathered ourselves with sunscreen, and meandered down to Cafe del Mar to enjoy the enormous and tasty breakfast buffet. We took a seat on the outside deck where our waiter Ayanei Ceteyda would serve us flavorful coffee and wisk away our empty plates to make room for our next round of fresh fruit, omelets, hash browns, bacon, and poached eggs. Then we would mark our spot in the poolside chairs near the swim-up bar and wait until 10:30 when water stretching would begin. Ivan, Aline, Livia, Cesar, Alexander, and Mindrukis (the Entertainment Team) captured our hearts during our stay, all because of their enthusiastic spirit and contagious happiness that they shared with us each day. They provided daily activities of water aerobics, volleyball, trivia games, silly games, water polo, guessing games, dancing, and tons and tons of laughter. The Aqua Bar staff (Marco, Carmen, Fernando, Sandra Veronica, and company) always made us feel so welcome, and they seemed genuinely excited to see our faces every single morning. The entertainment team and the rest of the pool staff were the reasons that we ditched the excursions we had planned on doing and spent everyday with them, playing games and learning how to make traditional Mexican dishes and beverages and just enjoying each others' company. They offered to show us popular bars along the beaches at night, and they let us dominate the Karaoke night at Luna Lounge when no one else was willing to sing. The entire staff was so happy to serve and just BE with the guests. You were waited on constantly, no matter what your need may have been. They were always going to be there to help make your day the best day ever, always going above and beyond. We heard good things from all of the other guests that we hung out with about the daily excursions to Cozymel, Mayan ruins, Cancun, etc. that they took. We hope that we can fit a few of those into our schedule during our next visit...as long as we don't miss the daily game of volleyball with the guests and entertainment team! If you are thinking of a family vacation, a honeymoon trip, or just need an adventure, look no further. Playacar Palace is your warm home away from home.

3 Thank Kathryn P
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Thank you Kathryn, for choosing us.The entire Playacar Family appreciate your kind words and we hope to host you again on your second visit to Mexico!

Playacar Palace GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,087)
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Had to write a new review of Playacar Palace. We were a little unhappy the last time as VIP members that felt we didn't receive quite the care that we thought we should after investing a considerable amount of money with Palace.

This trip was superb. Great accommodations, great food, fabulous weather and views, and, as always, fabulous service. Sr Rubio and his staff took very good care of us. We had a concierge level room near the ocean as we requested. The service was so good, that we left the room one time for 45 minutes (at 8PM) to grab a bite downstairs, and the turn down crew had come by and cleaned up the room and left us chocolate for dessert! Even left lavender in the scenter!

Food was very good. Excellent BACON!! The breakfast was always the best. The weather cooperated most days and the water, in the ocean and the pool, was like bath water. We couldn't have had a better visit.

Thank you Sr. Rubio! I want to especially thank our servers at the restaurant and the beach for their special care. Dionecio, Miriam, Israel, Sotero, Cristal, Perla, hermana Juana and her sisters on the beach, and of course, Guadalupe.

Room Tip: Ask for a concierge room. It's worth the extra. Go for a room on the south end away from weddi...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Walt3
Dear Walt

I want to thank you for your kind words on TRIPADVISOR . Dionecio, Miriam, Israel, Sotero, Cristal, Perla, Juana, Guadalupe, myself and the entire Playacar Family felt honored of having you at Playacar Palace, your warm home away from home.

Our best wishes for you and your family from Mexico

Franklin, Tennessee
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We were looking for a relaxing place to celebrate our son's graduation from college, our 30th anniversary, and our daughter's 25th birthday. We found it at Playacar Palace. It was all that we had hoped for and so much more. Our room was perfect for sleeping and getting ready for the day. We were out of the room all day and all evening enjoying the activities. The entertainment staff had something planned every day and each evening. It was always family friendly and their positive, fun energy kept it enjoyable. We did not want to be committed to a schedule, so we did not plan on daily excursions and going off the property. We enjoyed the spa, the beautiful pool, the gorgeous beach, the beach volleyball, water polo and other various relaxing, fun activities planned by the entertainment staff. We meet so many nice, kind, fun people throughout the week (the entire serving staff and guests) that it felt like we were leaving a family reunion at the end of the week. We enjoyed the night life of Playa del Carmen in the late evening. The restaurants on the property were such nice dining experiences. It was like an event each time - great food, great service, entertainment and nice, relaxing atmosphere.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor and it was very quiet and easy access to all things.
3 Thank Mark P
Dear Melr H

On behalf of Playacar Palace Resorts, I would like to thank you for gave us the opportunity to host you on your last visit to Riviera Maya in such a special location. Furthermore, I want to thank you for taking the time to share yours comments with us about your experience here. You and your family are part of the Playacar Family.

We are looking forward to welcome you back at Playacar Palace

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 31, 2014

We recently were married at Playacar Palace & had a wonderful experience. Choosing the perfect resort for our destination wedding prooved really challenging, but I am glad we settled on Playacar Palace. I wanted a more intimate & small resort, more modern & boutique in style & my husband wanted more variety/large scale. Playacar was perfect, it's not teeny but it's definitely not big. It's the perfect size. Our room was #423, which gave us direct view of the beach & the pool area & we could literally see where all of our guests were basically at all times! It was easy to see everyone throughout the day. Our group size was 58 people.

I was disappointed that as the bride & groom we weren't upgraded to a Suite or at least to the Concierge floor - all that was upgraded was full ocean view. Some of my guests were disappointed with their allocated rooms - a few had no balconies & some had two twin beds vs. a king. Unfortunately the hotel was not able to accommodate us being in the same area at all although this was requested. I asked numerous times to change my sister's room (maid of honor) as she was without a balcony & her husband smoked but the hotel never accommodated us. Truth is we were never in our rooms anyway, so it's not the worst thing to ever happen! The rooms are comfortable & clean, everything that you need. Fully stocked bar, 24 hour room service, & a very comfortable bed.

Food is super important to us & I have a lot of food sensitivities which the hotel was very accommodating about (gluten & dairy). The challenge was when asking staff at the kitchen if it was gluten free, many staff members didn't speak English so it took me a few days to find out that the "corn" tortillas actually had flour in them. I loved that Playacar had a smoothie bar outside every morning! It was AMAZING to be able to start our day with a healthy green smoothie - they had a blend of greens & we asked to add banana, flax, watermelon & ice & had our very own delicious breakfast every day! The Italian restaurant & the Japanese restaurant were awesome & best of all first come first serve (for the most part). Even though there are only 3 restaurants, we rarely had any wait at all. Lots of variety & definitely the most gourmet of an all inclusive I had ever experienced. The guacamole (obviously) was to die for! One thing is for sure, we did not go hungry at this resort!

The beach is absolutely BEAUTIFUL & was never full/crowded to the point of not getting a beac chair. The pool is lovely, and the ping pong table in water was super fun! My guests loved playing volleyball & it was great to be able to lounge on beach chairs near the volleyball net. The service on the beach is unlike anywhere else. Drinks & food on the beach, NON-STOP & super speedy! Absolute bliss.

Nightlife is a downfall at this resort. There is the Lula Lounge which has the potential to be a GREAT spot, but they don't play any music & karaoke stopped at 10pm just when we wanted to get started. It was definitely a buzz kill & the biggest disappointment to my group. The lounge has great banquette seating, a pool table & a great bar. It definitely needs to liven up! It was clear that this resort does not encourage late night parties. Thankfully, the resort is next to Senior Frogs (super cheesy bar but at least it's something) & also right on the 5th avenue strip so a party was never to far away....

The spa... Awe... Pure bliss! I can't say enough positive things about this spa. It's A++ & I have been to some high end spas across the world! I had my wedding day hair done without a trial - I was pretty nervous but Nadya was INCREDIBLE. She gave me exactly the hair I wanted & more & was a total pro! The spa itself is gorgeous, with hydrotherapy pools as well! I had a massage & it was wonderful - my only complaint is that 50 minutes wasn't enough. We had $1500 resort credits & like all of our guests & I can say that no one let the $300 spa credits go to waste & all of our guests were raving about their services. What a treat!

The $1500 resort credits were awesome. We used them to upgrade wine at our private events, towards golf & towards the spa. Some of our guests enjoyed some of the excursions as well & all had great experiences.

And finally the wedding. I will start off by saying that I am in the home decor industry & so decor is VERY important to me. I was not the type of person to choose a "themed" decor package, and in hindsight I probably should have gone the themed route. My problem was that I wanted parts of two different themes & the Palace Resorts cannot "mix & match". So I went the "a la carte" route which added up fast $$$. Without photography, our wedding cost around $10,000USD which included simple decor & flowers, DJ (Audio & Lights, Light up dance floor) and buffet dinner. Flowers are very costly in Playa Del Carmen & the decorations to rent are priced very, very high & limited in style. But, it's all in the details & those details really make the event personal. So being the obsessive decorator that I am, I brought 6 suitcases to my destination wedding (only 1 of those were clothes!) - it was A LOT to ask of my wonderful coordinator (Mara). As they are doing multiple weddings a day, it's very difficult to execute a mass amount of details correctly. As a result, some things didn't go as smoothly. I don't blame Mara, I blame myself for being so detailed & not assigning friends along the way. On the day of the wedding, I asked a friend to review my vision & all my decor pieces & ensure all was where I wanted & thankfully I did that & she ensured things were as perfect as they could be. Here's my advice:

If you are having a beach wedding & not buying a theme but doing it all a la carte & there are a lot of details (i.e. play this song after we say our I Do's, place menu inside napkin folded like this, add this sphere to the chairs in aisle, add these table numbers inside floral arrangement, etc etc etc) BRING A COORDINATOR with you! Someone only focused on all those little details & only focused on you. It will save you a lot of stress at the end. OR, make sure you have a friend/family member who is in charge.

I was disappointed that some of my favourite most special decor pieces were taken & not returned to me, although I am not giving up hope that Mara will locate these & return these to us.... because she is the best!

Overall we LOVED Playacar Palace & hope to return in the future! The service is A++!!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Marie-LouG
Dear Marie

On behalf of the entire Playacar Family, I would like to thank you for gave us the opportunity to host in such a special occasion for every family as a wedding. Furthermore, I want to thank you for taking the time to share such a complete review about your experience here. You and your family are part of the Playacar Family, and we hope to host you back soon...with a baby?

Chilliwack, Canada
Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I went for our honeymoon and were blown away by this luxurious hotel and amazing and helpful staff.

Special mention goes to:

Angel - barista extrordinerre. He delivered our "special coffees" quickly, perfectly, and with a big smile every morning.

Buffet staff...

Carmen & Elizabeth

Bellboys
Spa staff
Managers
& everyone behind the scenes.

I have never experienced this level of excellent service in my life!

Best Buy travel got us there from the airport in a timely and efficient manner.

We received a free upgrade from a partial ocean view room to Full Ocean View Honeymoon Suite upon arrival!

We don't drink so we took advantage of 24 hr room service by ordering a couple of scrumptious desserts and bowls of chocolate ice cream for our midnight treats (BEST ice cream ever!)

We got resort dollars by suffering through a 90 minute time sharing sales pitch. We spent these on a couples massage (wonderful aromatherapy massage!)

Because we went 4 months ago now I am likely forgetting to give some praise where praise is due.

I absolutely recommend this resort!

Thank you all so much for this awesome experience. We will never forget you!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Melr H
Dear Melr H
I want to thank you for your review on TRIPADVISOR. The details are the most important in our business and they make the difference. All of us know that and we work hard to control everything, seeking for perfection.

Our best wishes for you and your family from Mexico

Playacar Palace G.M
Reviewed May 30, 2014

This was a family vacation + attended a wedding with extended family. We stayed 9 nights with a 31/2 yr old and 7 mth old.
Resort - small place with all the amenities and rooms close by and so was very convienent. Needs renovation. our room # was 446 - we had paid for full ocean view. the view from the room and balcony was only partial view - but were told by front desk that this is what it is. It was definitely not full ocean view...resort credit is a big disappointment and a scam - you cannot use more then $400 for spa, and have to cancel 24 hr in advance otherwise you loose credit and still have to pay the tax... tequilla package was good. booking trips privately was much cheaper and convienent. Front desk was always helpful. Our room key/card stopped working 2-3 times for no reason, they fixed it without hassel but this required 2 trips to front desk.
Food - was avg not gourmet- I think they buy ingredients for all resorts and there is nothing exclusive about the restaurants. Steak was rare and not the best cut when asked for well done. Tiramisu was frozen at italian place. orders were frequently forgotten. Mexican night was good, but we had much better food on the street and not expensive. Pizzas were baked fresh and good. Deserts were same every day for lunch and dinner. Was expecting better fruits but this could be due the season we visited in. Tapanyeki was ok.
Drinks - Liqour choices were much better then the other places we have been to - good whiskey/scotch, tequilla. Crown Royal, Grey Goose, Blue Saphire, Tanquarey etc... Wines can be avoided. Beers choices were limited but good. All the bartenders were really good with mixing drinks like you would want. Servers were fast and very attentive.
Staff - This is the best part of the resort and if we go back, this would be the only reason. All the staff members were polite, friendly, attentive and greeted with a smile. You ask for anything and they will do it. Ayanei and Ceteyda in breakfast area were always there to help and served with the most honest smile. They all work 12-15 hours / day 6 days a week. Entertainment team always were upto something and kids area was well looked after. They only take kids above age 4 yrs without adult.

I should specially mention Maria Vicenta Vazquez Mendoza - she was not our housekeeper but my cousin's - who had forgotten her gold chain in the locker. Maria found it and returned as it was - You would not find such honest staff anywhere and I have the believe its the staff that keeps this resort going.

I have heard Moon Palace is better with kids but both ours had a great time. Milk, food was good and nobody got sick...

Location is good - walking distant from the shopping/tourist area.

1 Thank Vishal P

Was an honor to host you and your family, and I offer you an apology for those disappointments and I hope you could give us a new opportunity in a future.

I recommend you and everybody, to contact the General Manager if things are not according to your expectations on your next travel. Give the hotel the opportunity to change the “color” of your vacations. Every hotel will be happy to exceed you expectations, and you will enjoy a great stay. An average or bad review post travel will not give you your vacations back.

Please, send our greetings to your family.

D, Rubio
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 7 days. Nice hotel but small. Been to riviera maya many times so I like staying at different resorts. This hotel is very pricey for the location. The resort is small so don't expect many restaurant. More of an adult resort so if u have kids stay at another one. No things for kids. I didn't travel w kids so for me it was ok. 1 buffet restaurant that needs more variety specially in their breakfast. One Italian restaurant with the same menu for every day food was good. Not many entertainment shows so if you plan to stay in hotel all the time u will be bored. The Resort credit is not that great they only cover very small tours n only on certain dates. It's a catch but not worth it. Staff is very friendly. One day we went to explore the sister hotel moon palace that was great huge resort and they had great shows. Great buffer restaurant bars you name it. Would never stay at playacar palace again. But would try the moon palace. If you wanna stay in the town of playa del Carmen try something else like the Royal or the Riu those were short distance to the Quinta avenida shops and a bigger resorts. Hope this is helpful information for future travelers. P.S: playacar palace practically dead after 9pm. Again tooo over price for the type of hotel!!!!

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank katysbb2012

Our Resort Credit is a very popular product with a few limitations, but so much better things that make it very attractive. Playacar is not a Party Hotel, Our guests look for relax and our night Shows from 9PM and life music after the Show at Luna Lounge are the kind of activities the majority our guets demand.

Please, send our greetings to your family.

D, Rubio
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#7 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort

Been to Playacar Palace? Share your experiences!