“Great - Again! ! !”

Ranked #18 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Southern California
“Great - Again! ! !”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

This was our 4th stay at Playacar Palace. Even though it rained most of the time we were there (an unusual occurance for this time of year), we enjoyed our week with family and friends - 8 of us total. There was a great Mexican Independence Day Dinner Buffet and Folkloric Dancers dressed in costume for entertainment. The rain was accomodating, and waited until everyone was done with dinner and the dancers had completed their routines. The beach and pool are always clean and inviting. The Spa was awesome! Hubby and I each had a massage. The 'Chef's Dinner' accompanied by wine selections for each course was informative, entertaining and delicious. Our rooms were always clean and well stocked - just LOVE the large walk-in shower. The food in all three restaurants (Buffet, Italian, and Asian) was always well prepared and enjoyable. We all went to the Tempanaki Show in the Asian restaurant and enjoyed the demonstration/show (yeah Mario), as well as the food that was prepared. We went back a second night and had coconut shrimp - out of this world! Staying at Playacar Palace makes for a wonderful vacation, but just as everyone else says, the best thing about it are the employees! ! ! Kudos to ALL of them - too many to mention individually - they all deserve recognition. We are already looking forward to our vacation again next September.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,087)
  • Korean first
west mids
Reviewed October 11, 2013

First I have to say that once we had booked this hotel and read some of the negative comments written we wondered if we had made the right choice.Every negative comment was unfounded and we soon realised we had found paradise !
We are a couple with 2 grown up daughters who had an adjoining room to ours.We requested 4th floor rooms and were obliged. We were expecting a partial sea view and my daughters were disappointed when they knew there would not be a balcony.We asked to be moved and reception said it would be possible the day after which was acceptable.However when we reached our rooms the full sea view totally made up for the lack of balcony and we happily stayed in the rooms given to us .We were not given towels or a flower when checking in but the icy cold refreshing punch made up for this.
Everything in our rooms was spotlessly clean and in working order and when the toilet broke mid week it was repaired within 5 minutes of my calling reception.My daughter locked herself out of the safe at 1am in the morning but someone was there in 5 minutes to sort it out for her.towels were changed daily and room cleaned to high standards and a cute turn down service with chocolates was a special touch and more towels provided if needed.wash products were a good quality and replaced when empty. The hairdryer and straighteners were good and my own were not used.The fridge was restocked daily and I am guessing the mini bar optics would have been too though we did not use those.Some reviews say the jacuzzi bath was not necessary well we all took advantage and used it several times..
On our first morning in the beautiful pool my youngest daughter dislocated her shoulder( this happens often ) the staff could not have been more helpful running about calling medics and getting her a wheel chair and offering to drive up to the hospital. Fortunately it slotted back in and happened 4 further times during the holiday each time the staff were helpful and concerned.
I tried to look for bad condition of flooring and tiles around the pool ( I think some people must have been at another hotel) and found non. Everything in this hotel is maintained so well and there is always some one painting or cleaning to keep standards high.
Restaurants - we used cafe del mar for the superb breakfasts .hot food cooked to order and waiter service fantastic .The waiters even carry the plates of food back to the table a special mention to FRANCESCO who looked after us well.My daughters used room service on several occasions and the food was hot and well presented.Our favourite restaurant was the Italian .we ate in there most nights and the varied menu with al a carte food cooked to perfection .We were waited on beautifully by RAFAEL who made the most delicious mayan coffee and flambe bananas.we used some resort credits to upgrade wines.Try the ribeye steak and the raviolli. Superb.we also used the asian restaurant and sat at the tapanakyi table one evening.a clever display and delicious food and saki.
We spent our lazy days when not out on trips by the pool or beach and ate lunch at the aqua bar.The waiters became our friends and we were treated like royalty. A huge thankyou to JAVIER,JUAN,CARMEN,ISRAEL GERADO,PERLA and BERNEICE for helping to make our holiday so special.You guys are fantastic remembering our names and what we liked to drink.never letting our glasses empty.Tip these guys they deserve it.
The entertainments team are simply fantastic and although you are not pressured to join in they made the fun and games round the pool so good that we joined in most of the activities.ALINE,CESAR,ALEX,IVAN AND DAMARIS thanks for making us part of your family and be warned we will beat you at beach volley ball when we return ,We love you guys !!
We used some of our resort credits in the spa and do not miss out on this .I had a massage ,pedicure and an amazing facial and paid a sum of 20 English pounds in tax for the pleasure.so lovely and relaxing ,
We used other credits on the dolphin swim and upgraded so that we spent an hour in the water with them as well as the catamaran ride. A memorable day -see other reports on our trips which also included the pirate ship and coco bongo all of which were fantastic
We were not pressured to listen to any timeshare talks .it was mentioned and we explained that a 10 hour plane journey would make it difficult. but if you would like some discounts and are prepared for a 3 hour talk from the reps then so be it. we chose not too. We watched 8 wedding during our stay and I can honestly say that each one was different and special/My daughter says she wants her wedding there.the weddings did not interfere with the holiday makers and were a pleasure to watch.
location was one of our reasons to choosing this resort and we visited fifth ave on a few occasions much less than i thought my daughters would but they were happy to stay at the palace instead of shopping.Beware the silver jewelry is very overpriced on fifth ave and my daughters were a little intimidated by men calling out to them asking if they wanted a boyfriend for the night! ,I think the place is very safe and would not have had a problem with them going to clubs etc but think shopkeepers need to be a little less forceful.
All in all a fabulous place and no negatives other than to say a suggestion would be to build a sound proofed night club so us who like to dance could stay in resort .Evening entertainment was fine but needed more opportunities to dance the night away.
Thankyou MR RUBIO( we did not have chance to meet you) and Playacar palace .We will be back

Room Tip: 405 AND 406 have fantastic views over the turquoise water
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank rhiameg
Suwanee, Georgia
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Last week (9/29/13-10/5/13) at Playacar Palace was amazing for our honeymoon location. My fiancee and I were treated like a king and queen the entire week. The day we arrived we spent a few minutes checking in and learning a little bit about the resort credits. Make sure you understand how the resort credits are used and how they benefit you, it's easy to forget them, but you shouldn't. Also learn about the different resorts you can visit while you are there. It's a 30 minute ferry ride and short walk to Cozumel Palace, less than an hour to three different resorts in Cancun. All the resorts are outstanding and offer excellent experiences.

Overall the experience was so amazing that we're already looking forward to our next visit to the resort. The service from everyone there was superior to anywhere we'd visited. The standard response to any request was "it's my pleasure"! Always a smile or assisting hand to help with everything.

The pool and beach as well as the entire resort are immaculately clean. The staff is dressed appropriately and easy to identify. The daily entertainment was amazing as well, games by the pool, exercising classes, trivia and more. The staff was by our side to get us drinks or food non-stop. Wonderful experience

The main resturant featured many types of foods and several items they would cook to order. Everything we ate was delicious and plentiful. The desserts were beautiful and very tasty, I might have tried them all!!! There was food for everyone's need.

Room service was no different. Everything we wanted was delivered to us quickly and delicious. We loved the mini cheese burgers and fries, Thai salad, chocolate cake and so on. You're fridge runs out of beer or cold drinks and all you do is call room service and it's filled.

The SPA was amazing as well. We set up a couples massage and i think that might have been the best treatment I ever had. They had hot and cold tubs, tubs with jets, warm tile beds, showers, you name it they provided it.

I give the resort and staff an A+ and we're looking forward to my next visit!

Room Tip: Use your credits to upgrade your room if youre not satisfied. They will accomodate you if all possi...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Abel M
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 8, 2013

This is an amazing respite from a crazy world. How awesome! Our eyes were opened to a whole new world. Beautiful culture, warm people, so much fun! The Palace staff truly make you feel like royalty! Each day began with Portifrio and Maricella warmly greeting me with a genuine smile by name! Throughout the day the the entire staff anticipates your every need! As the day concludes, Martha and Nora await to make your after dinner fun even richer! The first class service and attention was unbelievable, however, the laughs and friendship shared with them made it so much more memorable!

Room Tip: Beach front is always good!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Carolanne546
Delran, New Jersey
Reviewed October 7, 2013

It took me a while to write this review b/c I really wasn't sure how to rate it. We stayed here from 9/9-9/20 for our honeymoon. Unfortunately the weather wasn't too great and I am sure that put a damper on the trip but we made the best of it. We loved the location of the resort, we loved the entertainment crew and the waiters/waitresses and bar staff! Exceptional service by all.
I agree with most people that the resort credits are confusing and too restrictive.
Unfortunately we were't able to use hardly any of our credits which was disappointing bc it was the main reason we even chose this resort. The romantic dinner on the beach kept getting cancelled due to the weather, and we didn't know if we should book the excursions in fear of a rain day. Anytime we got a nice day -we just wanted to hang out at the pool and beach.

It was our honeymoon and I guess I thought we would have received a little more "pampering?" The first issue was with upgrading the room!! No where does it state that you can not use the resort credits to upgrade to a honeymoon suite. We were very upset about this since we went back and read all of the fine print and nothing is mentioned. They simply said the travel agent should have told us- but she knew nothing about this!! It is not right to blame the travel agent when that information was not properly communicated anywhere. She knew as much as we did.
Check-in was fairly easy although we weren't given a welcome drink or flower like everyone mentioned. This doesn't really bother me though. We were in the lobby another day when people were checking in and they came over and handed us drinks and a flower so it made up for it :)

The first room we received had a very small balcony (we enjoy spending time out there so we asked to switch rooms to have a larger one). They were able to switch us the next day. Our next room was much better and then we decided to pay and upgrade to the honeymoon suite at the end of our stay. Loved that room and view- wow! I felt like we were at the front desk a lot to fight for things, although in the end they did work with us. The assistant manager did everything in her power to help us- she was great.

I do not think this hotel is run down as some review mentioned- they were always painting, cleaning, fixing things etc. It was very clean and looked great to us. They work hard to maintain it and it shows. The Luna Lounge was under construction which was a bummer bc it would have been great to have another place to hang out during the rain. It became a bit boring to do the same thing every day when it rained but not much you can do about that. We bought umbrellas at a local store and headed out on 5th Ave when we were really bored.

The food was amazing- prob the best we have ever had at a resort. Room service was also fairly quick and delicious! We ate at the Italian restaurant twice and the Asian one 3 times!! Delicious!!! We were given a special romantic dinner in the Italian restaurant for our honeymoon and they made it really nice for us. There was a honeymoon cocktail arranged for us so that we could meet other couples- that was fun as well. We were supposed to have a romantic breakfast in bed but it was a no- show on the morning we requested it. We let the front desk know and it was rescheduled for the following morning at 9am. It came at 7am! Needless to say we were still sleeping and the food ended up sitting there getting cold so that was really disappointing.

The spa is amazing!! The service is great and the massages are incredible!

So like I said-some ups and downs. For everything we were frustrated about, they did redeem themselves and did something to make up for it and I can't let that go unmentioned. :) It was greatly appreciated. I just wish there was no reason to have to go through all of that up front.

I dont know that I would return- nothing really WOW'ed us about this resort but it is still a really nice place and I don't want to take anything away from it! The pool on the beach was awesome- can't get anything better. The location and proximity to 5th Ave was superb too. We love Mexico though and will surely be back to visit!

We did go to Isla Mujeres Palace and Cozumel Palace- great resorts from what we could tell.

On another note- wi-fi worked great and it was easy to call home from the rooms (free long distance calling from rooms.) The beds were very comfortable as well! Pillow menu and aromatherapy are awesome.

Thank you for all you guys did and your otherwise exceptional service.
Ivan Miguel, Gerardo, Jesus (bellboy-HUGE THANK YOU to him- he went above and beyond for us), Perla, Mario (amazing hibachi chef), and so many wonderful people in Cafe del Mar and both of the restaurants that I can't remember all of their names....you all deserve a special "Thank You" for making us feel so welcome and taken care of- you are all great.

P.S. Tipping a few dollars goes a long way- take care of your staff ;)

Room Tip: Most have a great view but ask to see the room first if you aren't sure. The higher the better...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dana M
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We went here for our honeymoon and it was amazing!! the beach was perfect, staff was unbelievable, food, and atmosphere were excellent! The only thing you have to do on your own is literally use the bathroom. Everything we wanted and needed the staff was there to provide it. Even though it is all inclusive, I highly recommend bringing a few dollars for tips. I'm not sure if it was my tips or just their excellent service but a few dollars always kept a drink in my hand, water in my glass and fresh towels every time I went to the beach. We plan on visiting again in March. If you go, look for Francisco the bartender in the Luna Lounge, Nora and Martha the cocktail waitresses, and Antonio the server at Terezzas. Easily our favorites!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
NEW JERSEY
Reviewed October 7, 2013

After going on more than twenty cruises, my wife and I, along with two toher couples decided to visit an "All Inclusive" destination. The Playacar Palace was the best choice we could have made. The staff was friendly and attentive. The food was better than many of the cruises that we have taken. The beach and pool were convenient and clean. There was food and drinks whenever we desired them. We can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Full ocean view room was beautiful. Make sure there are no palm trees obstructing the view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
#4 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar
#7 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Playacar Palace? Share your experiences!