“Superb Experience at Playacar”
Review of Playacar Palace

Playacar Palace
Ranked #21 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Watford, United Kingdom
“Superb Experience at Playacar”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

My family and I have just returned from a 3 week holiday at the Playacar Palace. My wife and I and our 2 daughters aged 11 and 7.

The overall experience was very good and we had a thoroughly good time at this small and friendly resort.

Firstly the Positives

Number one was the truly fantastic staff who make this resort the experience it is. I will undoubtedly miss some off this review, for which I apologise but will do my best to remember the staff that stood out.

Elizabeth, a manager at the resort. We were allocated room 448 which was as we booked but to be honest a bit cramped for all 4 of us and all our luggage for 3 weeks.
I requested a larger room if possible and Elizabeth moved us to room 102 which was a sand suite. This room was nearly twice the size and opened up right onto the beach with fantastic sea views. This really got our holiday off to a fantastic start and we were extremely grateful.

Gasper the porter - upon arrival, after an 18 hour trip, his welcoming smile and offer of anything we needed there and then really set the benchmark for the staff. He truly meant it as well.

Perla and Leonardo,Martha and Anna around the pool were there providing drinks, snacks, food, whatever we needed. Very friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them at any time.

Aline and Ivan from the entertainments team were very good. Remembered our names straight from the off and always had time to chat and make us feel welcome. Even though I didn't win one lazy game for the whole time :)

Angel and Renee in the buffet restaurant stood out particularly. Lovely guys and good fun.

Diego and Pedro in the Italian restaurant were superb. Especially on our Wedding anniversary. The table decorations and service were especially thoughtful and memorable.

David the security guard to whom I chatted with at 6.30am every morning. Top bloke.

Xavier in the Luna Lounge was great fun, had some real laughs with him and your drink is never empty. Magically refilled with the right drink just at the right time.

Victor, the Tapenyaki chef in the Japanese restaurant was very good and entertaining. Shame I didn't catch all the food but his skills were appreciated by all and really engaged with the table.

The towel animals our maid left in the room was a particular delight to our daughters. They could not wait to get back to the room to see what amazing creation was on the bed next.

To be honest all the staff are always there to serve and provide anything at any time. A true credit to the resort and will definitely be the reason we would return to the resort.

Other positives were the quality of the food in all the restaurants, for all meal times. Selection was always good, quality was great and you can really eat what you want 24 hours a day.

My wife said the Spa was fantastic and she had the best massage she has ever had.

Entertainment in the evenings was of good quality. The fire and aquatic shows the kids enjoyed particularly. The hypnotic show was brilliant and was really entertaining for everyone who attended. One night we met Armondo a magician who performed memory and card tricks. He was great and we didn't have a clue how he did most of the illusions etc. He should get more air time to be honest.

We liked and used the resort credits. Basically you get trips, Spa, golf etc for a fraction of what you normally pay. We used all of ours and thought it was good value for money.

Another positive was the location and size of the resort. Location could not be better, right next to the Cozumel ferry and a minute walk from 5th Avenue. In terms of size we really liked it as we got to know half the staff and half the guests quite well. Made the whole trip friendly and cozy.

Suggestions
We do have some suggestions that need to be brought up and do need addressing by the hotel.

Firstly, they really need to install insectecutor's in the pool bar. On most days the wasps were a real issue for anyone getting within 10 feet of the bar.

Secondly the hotel does need some refurbishment as it is looking a little tired in a number of areas, as others have mentioned in other reviews. General decorations, repairs need to be carried out. For example the vanity panel in-between the urinals in the Luna Lounge toilet was hanging off, painting in rooms was flaky, the exterior needs totally redecorating. When it rained there was too much water ingress into the hotel through doors etc. Whilst this does not detract from the overall experience, the investment will make the resort match the performance of the staff.

Thirdly, I think they should really re-think the Jacuzzi in the rooms. Takes up too much room space in my opinion and they cold use the space for larger beds, seating, cupboards etc. My kids used it once as a novelty and it wasn't looked at again.

Overall we would highly recommend to friends and family. As stated the service is second to none, staff very friendly, resort is small, friendly and ideally located. Very secure as well with resort security and police in general in Playa Del Carmen

Thank you to all the staff, sorry for anyone we forgot to mention, we are sure we will see you all again.

Room Tip: If you can get a sand suite. Our room 102 was great. Rooms 100 and 200 are even better (Friends we m...
1 Thank RobW1970
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear RobW1970

I want to thank you for your kind words on TRIPADVISOR. Was an honor to have you and your entire family at Playacar Palace, your warm home away from home.

I already sent a copy of your review to every single person mentioned. Elizabeth, Gaspar, David, Angel, Pedro Victor, Ana, Martha…send you their best wishes and thank you for remember them.

I also, want to thank you for you suggestions, we are already working hard to improve all the mentioned points. Today we are painting the building, remodeling Luna Lounge, our lounge bar will be a Show-Lounge Bar every night, refurnishing the lobby bar with brand new seats…There is no time for rest.

We all hope to see you soon. Our best wishes for you and your family from Playa del Carmen

Playacar Palace G.M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,104)
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The service at this resort makes the resort!!! The staff is outstanding! We love the waiters in the Italian Restaurant, all the bartenders were awesome and so so friendly!!! We had an issue with transfers and the General Manager came out and personally took care of us. The bellman did everything he could to help us out and make things right too! Everyone at this resort went above and beyond to be sure we had an excellent trip and we did!

Room Tip: I love the ocean view rooms!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
When the guests came to our hotel, we treat them as our own family, and we pamper them as one of us. That was the only thing we did during you stay.

We really want you see you back soon, hasta pronto

Playacar Palace G.M.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Just got back from Playacar Palace and I would like to start off saying what a wonderful experience me and my family had. It was totally unforgettable. We stayed at this resort fourteen nights and did not want to leave.
This is my third visit to Mexico, all five stars, all inclusive, etc. and by a mile this was the best by a mile. We have travelled to other destinations around the world-Egypt, Jamaica, etc. and this was definitely the best.
The Resort was exceptional in terms of QUALITY of food, restaurants, rooms, pool, etc., FRIENDLINESS of all staff, CLEANISINESS, ENTERNTAINEMENT and the SPA.
The staff were great. David Rubio, the General Manager is doing an excellent job, very approachable and a ‘hands on’ guy. What he expects from his staff he is willing to do himself.
The Entertainers, Ivan, Alexandra, Cesar, Catalina, etc. etc. etc. were excellent and have got it completely right, in terms of balance-not over burdening visitors but doing just enough to get you involved if you want to. They are willing to
I have kids aged 8 and 13 and they loved Kids Club very much, excellent staff, funny and kept them entertained all the time.
The Restaurants and staff were amazing. They have not sacrificed quality over quantity. The choice is very much thought off. Instead of having loads of restaurants and sacrificing quality, they have kept to enough to maintain the excellent quality that one expects from a top end restaurant. The Food and Beverage Manager is a lovely person and also has got it spot on with the choices and the changing of the daily menu’s to keep all taste buds occupied. The Oriental and the Italian restaurant are ‘to die for’.
The SPA was also amazing. My wife said it was the best treatments she has ever had and I had a full body massage as well as enjoying the Jacuzzi, hydro pool, etc. and it was awesome.
Overall I can with my hand on heart say this was the best holiday we have ever had. My kids were actually cried when we left as they made so many friends from England, USA, Canada, etc.
We have already started to look at going back to this place next year. That’s how good it is.
Anyone that has written a bad review needs there head checking as in no means I could find a fault.

Room Tip: All rooms are good but I was in a partial sea view (415), looking at the pool area, beach and sea. I...
1 Thank Pin B
New Windsor, New York
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We had a great time and the service was excellent :)
Already looking to book our next trip back.
The room was clean and well maintained every night before we went to sleep.
The restaurants are very good. We enjoyed the Italian restaurant very much and I recommend asking for Pedro
Location is excellent... Ferry is 1 block away to Cozumel
The beach is beautiful and well maintained.

New York City, New York
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We were here for almost a week for our wedding so this will be a lengthy review.

This originally would have been rated as "Very Good" but with issues that came up during our stay: 7/17-7/23 and after our stay, I just cannot do it. I'm giving this an average rating since the staff here is very nice and their service is very friendly. The front desk was wonderful in the middle of the night when our flight was delayed and we had to check-in after 2am local time. Thank goodness for 24 hr room service! We did not have any towel issues during our trip at all which was great! But our guests did get the switcheroo w/ the products in their rooms. We had a concierge level and did not get l'Occitane products but had CHI. Other friends started off with one and got refilled with another. The CHI hair dryer and flat iron are a nice touch and the in-room safe is easy to use but some of us had issues with broken safes *wouldn't open* and had to call down for service a few times.

My nephew celebrated a birthday while in Mexico. The asian restaurant Mo-mo-no-ha-na was accomodating to our large last minute group of 15. We were given 2 tables and they even got a bday cupcake and sang for my nephew! Lovely dinner and the staff as well as the manager Angel were great!

All our bfast & lunches were spent at the buffet Cafe Del Mar and they had a great variety of food. Salads, freshly grilled *fish, chicken, pork, burgers, calarmari, etc, hot items and lots of desserts. The staff here is friendly & attentive and the one young female grill chef *forgot her name* was awesome!! She always grilled the fish/meat/seafood just right & was efficient w/ the long lines. Great mojitos, coffee and juices too.

Our group took full advantage of the pool bar and loved the bartender there. He had great drink suggestions to keep everyone "hydrated" throughout the day. Everyone also enjoyed eating at the pool. Waitstaff at the pool is also efficient and go by often to check if you want drinks.

Late night every night was spent @ the Luna Lounge as it was nicely air conditioned & always had entertainment as well as an awesome bartender and waitress. They kept the drinks coming, were friendly and fun. There's 2 pool tables and during our trip we saw a singing performer, an illusionist *great one!* & karaoke night.

I had a few appts at the spa for massages, hair & makeup test and hair and makeup for our wedding. I had the citrus massage *good*. The spa facilites have: sauna, steam room, hot tub, etc. My hair and makeup appts were great, my stylist/makeup artist had 17 yrs of experience and did a lovely job. The only complaint would be the horrible lighting they have for the styling chair as they are not makeup lights but are just high hats which act as harsh spotlights beaming down and make it hard to see how even makeup is. New lighting is needed for the makeup applications to make it easier on the artist and the guest.

We had a welcome dinner set during our stay for our guests @ Terrazza and the food & service were great! We had a resort photographer booked for this dinner since we were not using them for our ceremony. NOTE: although photo package A was part of our wedding package, when confirming the photog we were told of a $69 fee we had to pay for "shipping" bc it takes 6 days for the photos to process & since we were there until Tues morn, they would not have sufficient time to complete our booklet & single print. To not lose this part of our wedding package, we paid this fee. Photography was only for 1 hr so we selected the 1st hr of our dinner. On the night of the dinner no photog showed up. Our wedding planner Yasmin quickly worked on this and had another photog fill in an hr late. He was nice and professional, looked like he had the right equipment & took a lot of pictures for an hr. We just received our book and single print on 8/16, nearly a month after our dinner. Book was mostly filled with blurry photos and we're sorely disappointed in having spent $69. I was definitely glad we didnt use the resort photog for our wedding itself. So beware.

We also booked a group ATV excursion for our group using resort credits for all of our guests and only my husband & i had to pay the full amount since we had put all our credits towards our wedding pacakage. We had received confirmation from Palace Resort *Daniela*, which clearly listed everyone & stated next to each room their conf# & the resort credits charge + *tax *the only portion they are responsible for* that was to be charged. All of our guests had ample resort credits and most if not all had leftover credits upon checkout. Despite this, the resort incorrectly charged our group the full amount INSTEAD OF using resort credits + charging ONLY the tax. For those of us who accidentally found this info while at the front desk for something else, we were able to get it corrected. Unfortunately, some of us left on early morning flights & were not aware of this issue until checkout but were unable to get this fixed and were NOT allowed onto airport transfers unless the invoice for the erroneous charges was signed. Thank you for being so great to our group. We were not made aware of that last part until our return to the States. At this point, Palace Resorts has not been helpful and as of today 08/26/13, we are still working on getting the charges back. What was a great group outing has turned into such a headache and we're just sorry anyone had to pay for something by being bullied.

NOTE: If you plan on using resort credits for any activity, spa appt or anything at all they're eligible for, check your room's charges right away to make sure all charges are correct. Otherwise their error may turn into your headache.

Our ceremony, cocktail hour and reception were great. Our wedding planner Yasmin, her assistant, the host Antonio and the rest of the waitstaff/bartenders did a wonderful job. During our ceremony on the beach it was definitely crowded so there were a lot of people in the background of our pictures. I have no idea if the staff tried to ask any of them to move but we pretty much ended up with the busiest pool & beach day as our wedding day. No way to know this but can get interesting when you're trying to take wedding pictures & some woman is screaming at her children for 15 mns from 20 ft away. Or having people walk by during our ceremony and stop right by us and look. We were happy with the food that we had selected for our cocktail hour as well as our reception and our cake was YUMMY!!! *Tres Leche w/ whipped cream* We were sad we couldn't take the rest with us...

The morning after our wedding we had our complimentary honeymoon bfast in our room. This was lovely & there was tons of food, fresh fruit and juice/coffee. We did miss out on the bottle of sparkling wine & cupcake that we were supposed to get upon arrival which was never delivered but we didnt throw a fuss. We did also get complimentary Palace Resort tshirts as souvenirs.

Since we were so busy we were only able to take advantage of our Concierge beach VIP area late on our last afternoon. We were excited to finally try the wings all our guests had raved about & just relax/finally enjoy some time on the beach. We were rudely informed by the waitress working our section that the kitchen was closed and we could only get drinks. It wasn't even 4:30pm. Isn't the snack bar open til 6pm? what did we miss here? I asked if any food at all was available since we were starving and she replied no so we just ordered drinks. After she left, I got up and walked up to the pool bar and people were munching away. The pizza oven was still going & the gourmet pizzas were going to start. I stood around for about 10 mns while the same rude waitress went to get me a menu. The chef was friendly but the waitress was very rude and kept making comments. After ordering our pizzas I asked if it was possible to have them brought to us on the beach and the waitress replied with an emphatic "NO." So I stood and waited. After a few mns another waiter came by to see if i needed help and after I told him I was waiting for pizzas to go back on the beach, he informed me that they could bring it out to the beach. No problem. The waitress then scowled at him while he continued to smile and tell me all was ok. Eventually it was the pizza chef himself who delivered our pizzas. Had I known, I would have just waited but thank you for ruining the ONLY time we got to spend on the beach as a newly married couple. So much for VIP beach service. Although I must say she was the only rude waitress our entire trip. That's pretty good.

Our last night in Mexico we had our special romantic dinner at Terrazza that is setup by the resort. We wish we hadn't had a late snack from the pool's pizza chef but we were so full and yet still tried some of each course. All the food was delicious, artfully plated and the service was attentive and very nice. We were just so full and tired from our whirlwind week that we didn't linger as long as we wanted.

All in all we had a memorable time at Playacar Palace. Met some great people and our only wish is that it had not been marred. We had originally planned on returning for an anniversary trip but now we are skeptical.

Room Tip: Rooms on the end with balconies facing the ocean are the best with unobstructed views if you are pay...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Caroline L
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We visited this hotel for 10 days in August 2013 and had a fabulous holiday. It is the best hotel for customer service and all the staff were friendly and helpful. Our room was spacious with all amenities and cleaned daily with fresh towels and bar restocked. All the restautants had a good choice of food, which was always presented well and delicious.There was entertainment every evening in the hotel, although 5th Ave was a 5 minute walk away which has a array of shops, bars and restautants with live entertainment at many. We used the hotel credits for a trip to Talum,Swimming with dolphins and stingrays and numerous visits to the Spa, which was new and luxurious with a good choice of treatments.There were areas in the hotel in need of a repaint, although this was obviously ongoing and people were measuring around the pool area to upgrade, however this did not effect our stay. I would recommend this hotel and resort for an enjoyable holiday and can't wait to return. Well Done Playacar Palace and all the staff who worked so hard to please.

Room Tip: There are two rooms in corridor next to bar area and italian restaurant, which were noisy, however w...
1 Thank Karen G
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you very much for your warm review Karen. We all, the Playacar Family, hope to see you back soon.

Playacar Palace GM
Biggleswade, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2013

My wife and 11 year old girl stayed at the Playacar Palace from 27th July until 10th August. The service is second to none. We had a room on the bottom floor which was a minute walk to the pool and restaurants. There are 3 restaurants. The Asian, the Italian and a buffet style restaurant that we used for breakfast. Make sure you try the omelettes...fantastic. All 3 restaurant were good. It depended on what mood you were in really. The Italian was the best in my opinion. Make sure you have a Mayan Coffee and enjoy the show. The pool is very nice but we found that people were reserving loungers fairly early which is always annoying, If you can't beat them then.....

The entertainment was a bit repetitive bit to be honest we were always back in our room about 9 pm unless we walked to 5th Avenue which is 5 minutes away. We are not as young as we used to be (well my wide isn't!). Resort credits are good but you do have to pay 11% tax, but for what you can get it is well worth it. Excursions, spa, golf lessons wine upgrades etc.. We had $2500 but only spent $1400 as we didn't have enough time to spend it all. You can only spend $500 on the spa mind you. So we ended up spending $150 odd dollars (£90 odd). You can upgrade your room but to be honest we only slept there so it was not an issue and the room was OK. Every room has a Jacuzzi. Ours also had a balcony and although it was a resort view we could still see the sea. The area around it was undergoing some work but we hardly used the balcony so it was not a concern. We did a presentation to become members and although it is a good idea on the face of it, we did not want to be tied into this and it was quite expensive (although they do reduce the price when you say 'No'). We did however get a free trip to Xel Ha out of it so it is well worth the 1 1/2 hours spent. Xel Ha is an Eco Theme park with snorkeling etc. but watch out for the food. We had bad stomach upsets for 4 days after visiting this place. Also visit Tulum (Mayan ruins which are 1 hour away) and not as far as Chechen Itza which is a 4 hour drive. We did not go to Cozumel (the ferry is next to the resort), we had planned to but ran out of time. We did visit the Moon Palace in Cancun and used their facilities however. This is a much bigger place but very busy. It depends what you want. We liked the smaller more intimate feel of Playacar. The beach is lovely at Playacar and all in all this was a fantastic holiday. We did have initial concerns having read some reviews (run down place in need of an upgrade etc.) but these were unfounded. A great break. Thank you Playacar Paalce

Room Tip: Try the mud slides (cocktails). Try the Mayan Coffee and omelettes at breakfast. If you go off the...
1 Thank mickeycorleone
It is very rewarding to read such complementary comments regarding your stay at Playacar Palace. I am glad to know you enjoyed every step of the way, since your arrival; being taken care of by our front desk personnel to your latest tour. It is a pleasure to know that the Playacar Family continue toproviding an outstanding service to our guests. We all at PLayacar Palace look forward to welcome you back and provide you many more memorable experiences.

Playacar Palace G.M.
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#46 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Playacar Palace? Share your experiences!