“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #21 of 210 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Houston
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We just got back from a 5 day stay at Playacar Palace. The hotel's proximity to the town cannot be beat. it's a hop skip and jump away. The beach was amazing, the customer service was by far the best I've experienced in this area and we've been coming to Playa for over 20 years. The staff is amazing. Some previous posts commented on the shortage of towels. We didn't experience anything of the sort. there were plenty of towels for everyone. The staff here will do anything for you. Perla, our waitstaff on the beach was the best! She knew all of us by name and now I consider her my friend! Gracias Perla por tu hospitaidad. Eres un amor!! Nos vemos pronto!
We are already planning our next trip. We love you Playa del Carmen!!!

Room Tip: if you like privacy, don't get the walk out beach suites. the higher the room, the better.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank lulileo
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Lulileo

On behalf of Playacar Palace Resorts, I would like to thank you for gave us the opportunity to host you on your last visit to Mexico and Riviera Maya. Furthermore, I want to thank you for taking the time to share yours comments with us about your experience here. I would like to say that you are now part of the Palace Resorts family.

To know our guests by their name, instead by their room number or their armband number, is our main difference versus big resorts, and we feel glad you felt it

We are looking forward to welcome you back at Playacar Palace

Playacar Palace G.M.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,122)
  • Korean first
New City, New York
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Okay, so I just got back from this hotel - was there from July 7-14th, 2013. I traveled with my 13 year old son for a gift to him. I chose this because of the reviews, the price, and the $1,500 resort credit.
First I will start with the very few negatives I had. We arrived around 11am at the hotel and our room was not ready. After a very long trip I was not happy, but it was what it was. While we were checking in we received a cold towel, and they gave me a drink. The person at the check in said he would upgrade our room - I said that's great, but PLEASE, as I originally requested, I want 2 double beds. Nothing else (view, floor, etc.) means as much to me as my son doesn't like to sleep with someone in his bed. So after waiting for THREE hours, we finally have our room - note that we basically walked around the resort and did nothing and had to check ourselves. If we didn't check we wouldn't have known. Anyway, we get to the room and guess what? King sized bed. I immediately called down and they said there are no rooms with double beds and I'd have to check in tomorrow. I didn't understand since we reserved a room with 2 beds and that should have been available no? So to make a long story short, we never got a room with 2 double beds and had issues the entire trip sleeping. Now to the resort credits. I don't want to use the word scam b/c that's not really what it is. Misleading perhaps. You may use the credits for a number of excursions that are through the hotel. We went on 3. Tulum express - amazing, Coba - amazing, and swimming with the dolphins - great but the tank was disgusting and it took away from the experience. The other things you can get are not available at this location and you have to travel to their other resorts. Cigars, sunglasses, silver, etc. Oh I did get a tequila package that they said cost $140 (I checked and it was worth about $100...whatever), and my son and I got 2 pedicures in the spa (you can only use up to $300 in the spa). You do have to pay for taxes on any excursions, and in some cases, you have to pay as much as $15pp for transportation. So not exactly a "credit". My cost for using the "credit" was about $95 USD.
That's about it as far as negatives. The other aspects of the hotel were awesome, specifically the service. Everyone is trying to please you all the time. After a while they remember the drinks you like and have them as soon as you sit down for dinner. There are 3 restaurants and one buffet style restaurant where we ate most of the time. Food was average to above average everywhere. Service is wonderful, room service is great, waiters walking around the pool (not so big) and the beach (very well groomed). Location is great - right next to the ferry to Cozumel and roughly an hour or so to Tulum or Coba. Chitzen Itza was 3 hours away so we didn't go there.There is a strip of shops right outside the hotel where you can find some fantastic deals. Just be aware that if you're not used to it, you will get swarmed by every vendor on the street. The entertainment is pretty cheesy, and if you're looking for a place to party, this is certainly not the place to go. A lot of families for sure. There's a Kid's Club for I think the 12 and under crowd too. Overall this hotel was wonderful - mostly b/c of the amazing staff. Outside of the wrong room incident, I would certainly recommend this hotel for you. My son and I had one of the best times ever.

2 Thank BLTZ4G
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear BLTZ4G,

On behalf of Playacar Palace Resorts, I would like to thank you for all your kindest comments about your experience during your stay with us. We are always looking for the way to improve our service and facilities in order to serve you better.

My apologies about circumstances at your room. According to our system we do not confirm kind of bed, unless the category support the bed, Concierge level with king bed for example.

About the Resort Credit, we are already working and trying to improve the offer for demanding guest like you.

All the Playacar family is looking forward to welcome you back at Playacar Palace, your warm home away from home

Des Moines, Iowa, United States
Reviewed July 17, 2013

As always the Playacar Palace doesnt disappoint. The staff is attentive. The resort is clean and beautiful. I would recommend this resort to anyone who wants a smaller resort with capability to walk to shopping, dining, ferry (to Cozumel), and experience the culture of Playa.

Room Tip: conceirge floor!!!
1 Thank lisaakalola
Thank you very much for your support and preferente. All the members of the Playacar Family work very hard day by day, and reviews like yours give us the motivation we need to keep doing it.

Please, feel free to contact me before your arrival.

Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Just returned from a great week at the Playacar Palace. We were there with 18 family members for a destination wedding. Couldn't ask for more attentive service from front desk, wait staff, spa. Our every needs were anticipated and met with a smile and "it's my pleasure" Chef Mario at Teppenyaki was outstanding - he put on a fantastic show for our large group. I can't begin to describe how wonderful Perla is at the pool! I wish she could come back home with us. Use your resort credits at the spa, you won't be sorry! Buffet food selection was good, a la carte restaurants were top notch for dinner. 5th avenue is literally steps away!

1 Thank noonerw
Dear Noonerw

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and thank you for your comments. Perla, Mario and every single person you mentioned has a copy of your letters and they send you their best wishes

We also want to thank you for choosing us for such an important day of your life and we feel glad you enjoyed our service welcome to the Playacar family

Please contact me to make your first anniversary with us even better!

Hasta pronto

Conway, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My husband and I were at Playacar Palace from July 7-14 for our anniversary. We stayed 4 years ago at Sun Palace for our honeymoon and were blown away, so we thought we would changed Palace resorts and get the same type of service.The hotel is in need of an upgrade, but it appears to be in the plans. It wasn't horrible, I was prepared for it. The food is good, drinks plentiful and mostly good service. Perla and Erika at the pool/beach were fantastic, they helped to make this better. And while most of the trip was good, there were a few problems that really left a bad taste in our mouths.

To start, I contacted Mr. Rubio prior to our arrival to request a room and let them know about our anniversary. He passed me along to Elizabeth and Mara. Elizabeth said we could upgrade our room and she would make sure of it. We were not upgraded (I'm assuming because we didn't have credits, but we were prepared to pay to upgrade) and we not put on a high floor as requested. Mara NEVER contacted us, which set us up for an issue later. We were in room 238, which had a nice partial view, however is RIGHT above the pool bar. We had no issue with the noise/music during the day, and it normally was done around 9 pm, or was turned to a VERY low volume.

For the first 3 days, everything was pretty good, no major issues or complaints. However, beginning Wednesday, things fell apart. There was a party occurring at the pool bar late Wednesday night, which initially was ok. Around 9:45 pm they turned up the music. Around 10:45 pm, I went to the front desk to inquire about them turning it down or switching us rooms since we needed to be up early for an excursion. Rather rudely I was told there was nothing they could do and there were no rooms available at all. Fine, I get no rooms, but you can't have them turn the music down?? The music continued past 2 am and we could easily hear it through the closed doors!!

On our first day there (Monday) we put our reservation in for the hibachi table on Thursday for our anniversary dinner and we were first on the list. Roughly 2 hours before our reservation, we were called and told the table was overbooked so can they seat us at a separate table. I told them that was unacceptable, especially since we were first on the list, and it was our anniversary. He quickly apologized and said they would accommodate us. When we arrived, we were told because of the over book, they may need to squish in two more people. If that was the case, why call and tell us we couldn't be seated? We didn't get menus or drinks without asking, and my drink was incorrect when they finally brought it (halfway through dinner).

When we checked in, as well as in emails prior, we let them know about our anniversary. When our anniversary rolled around, we hadn't received the cupcake or wine. I inquired at the front desk and was told we had to check with public relations. Mind you, this is 4 days in and we're just now hearing this? Apparently we were eligible for some other perks too, but of course never received those because when we checked in, we were just handed keys and directed in the general area of our room (totally not what we expected and not what other people had happen either!). Check out was also a mess because they claimed we had three bracelets (it was only the two of us traveling) and wanted to charge us for the bracelet. One look at the paper and he wasn't even looking at our room.

For full disclosure, we traveled through RCI and did the prepay option. With that option we paid less and were not eligible for the credits. We knew this going in and were fine with that. However had we known we would be treated less than people who had credits, we would have reconsidered. I don't know that we will return to a Palace ever again, for sure never Playacar, which is a lot to say seeing as the Monday of our trip we considered buying in.

Room Tip: 238 is right above the pool bar, but has a decent view of the pier and ocean
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jessica L
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Dear Jessica L

I offer you my apologies for not be able of provide you the service you expected. Playacar Palace is a highly demanded, and as we explained at your check-in, the upgrade it wasn’t a payment matter, all the rooms were booked already by the time of your arrival, and as you can understand, we can not take the room from someone else.

About your anniversary, the information is on the system, and your Romantic dinner and a Breakfast on your bed was affered by Nataly, from Guest Service, and also refused by you according to our reports on your reservation.

I appreciate your comments which are very important for us. We are already working to improve our service and product.

I hope to see you back at Playacar Palace soon to see all the future changes to come.

D.Rubio
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This trip to Playacar Palace was a gamble that paid off. After reading reviews on tripnadvisor, meeting the Western Canada Business Rep for the Palace Resorts, I was convinced that this woud be the perfect destination for our wedding. Having not been to this resort, the planning process required a lot of patience and flexibility.

Hotel: the hotel is well kept, and the maintenance staff work hard to keep this mid size hotel immaculate as possible. As a wedding party of about 30 guests, it was nice to be able to see friends and family, and find each other easily in the different areas of the hotel.

Rooms: As the wedding couple, we requested and were upgraded to the full ocean view in the centre of the hotel. However, even the partial ocean view rooms with balconies were quite lovely. King size bed, in room 2 person jacuzzi, free wifi, full bar, fully stocked fridges... It was more than we had expected. Hard liquor was also top shelf liquor which after staying at several all inclusives, was excellent.

Spa: You may use $300 of your resort credits towards Spa services. We were lucky to recieve a wedding gift certificate and had a couples citrus massage. The staff st the front of spa were so friendly, always calling me by name and attentive. The spa massagers were to our satisfaction. What's so fantastic about the spa are the full use of their hydrotherapy pool, sauna, ice bath and steam room. My friends and family were there daily.

As for wedding hair and markup, myself and 6 of my bridesmaids had either both services done or just hair. The stylists did an incredible job. As I had been recommended to do a trial first - it was a bit expensive $172 usd. I did plan it on the day of my rehersal dinner so it was nice to have it done. Ana was my hair and makeup artist, on both my trial and wedding day. I can't say enough about how talented and friendly she is. Trust her abilities and you certainly will feel and look like a million bucks. All my other bridesmaids who brought a picture or ideas of how they wanted their hair and makeup were also pleased.

Pool area and beach: the pool area is nice, and overlooks the beach and ocean. It was not easy to get towels however, as they seemed to continuously be in short supply. The pool bar and swim up bar were awesome, kudos to Francisco and Luis who were awesome! They work so hard, had drinks flowing for our group and just genuinely nice people! Try out the freshly made pizza, all done in a outdoor oven.

Restaurants: cafe del mar (buffet) - breakfast was the Best, it had a good variety of foods, nice presentation but found eating at the other restaurants better. Le terrazza is the Italian restaurant that has a great variety of dishes, it is more formal and has a dress code ( so no board shorts, bikinis etc... Men have to be in long pants). Also it had a great wine list. You can use your resort credits to upgrade to a better wine selection or even use them to take a bottle home. Just remember that tax still has to be paid on all things purchased in resort credits. Lastly, the asian restaurant was probably our favorite amongst my group. We ate there a few times. Teppanyaki requires in advance reservation where you have a chef cook in front of you and does a whole show. Great to watch and the foods delicious. Alternatively, you can walk in and order off the a la carte menu. The food really was outstanding, my favorites: the welcome drink (a sake cocktail), coconut shrimp was simply amazing, white fish wrapped in banana leaf, spring rolls and even their sushi rolls had great presentation and tasted fresh.

Note: my husband and I never got ill from the food or water luckily, however some of our friends and family did - so bring meds to help!

Resort Credits: We were there for 7 days and had $1500 resort credits, which got used towards. our wedding package. Although for some of our guests, it was hard to use up unless you maxed it out with excursions, spa services, product purchase, etc...

As others have said the hotel is very close to 5th avenue, which makes for getting to and from the resort quite convenient. It's a 5 -10 minute walk, and right next to the ferry terminal that takes people across to Cozumel.

Wedding: Dulce was the per wedding coordinator who contacted me to organize details like decor, music, setting layout, flowers, music, wedding pacakages, etc - basically all things administrative and logistics wise was here field. The process started 2.5 months before arrival and a flood of information started coming in where I had to make decision and end up spending a little more than I wanted too. You have to use thier contracted vendors for music, DJ, decor etc. My advice, plan ahead and budget how much you want to spend on these things that are not included in the wedding package. I wished I had known much earlier on and was able to pre budget and determine the final costs. I also did make and add on several of my own DIY projects (programs for the beach wedding that were fans, table number picture frames, place settings with guests names, etc). The onsite wedding coordinator was Karla who I thought was sweet, super calm, and did everything she could to make sure we got exactly what we asked for. Our dinner reception was initially going to be in the south solarium, but found it to be less private. She showed us an alternative space called the Luna terrace that was joined to an indoor room (actually their business centre). The space was perfect for our wedding party of 40. With a panoramic view of the ocean and breathtaking sunset, we couldn't have been more pleased. Bonus: A/C and void of any mosquitoes!

It certainly is a very popular wedding destination. In the week that we were there, there was 3 weddings each day between Thursday through to Saturday, including our own. Hopefully this review has helped others in planning a trip or wedding here. The employees work extremely hard and the service again is fantastic, tipping surely does show your appreciation and I know they very much are grateful as well. It took patience and a lot of trust, and it all was worth it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Crissy H
Thank you for your review, We hope to see you back soon

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 16, 2013

When we were choosing the place to stay in Mexico back in May, we did a lot of research, and I found many answers here, however, not all of them. Hopefully, I will be able to clarify some things for future travelers.
We stayed for 12 nights and got $2500 resort credit. Here is how it works: you can spend it on room upgrade, wine upgrade, certain tours, spa, dolphin swim, special dinners, golf, photo session, wedding, beauty kit, scuba diving. You may not spend more than $500 in spa (if you stay for 7 nights, your credit is $1500 and limit for spa is $300). You can get a discount of certain amount on jewelry, sunglasses etc, but they are so overpriced, it's not worth it, so I am not going to discuss it.
The tours you can get are the following: Chichen Itza, Coba, Isla Mujeres, Tulum, Wet'n Wild, Dolphin Swim (no transportation), Tour around Cancun Island, Paradise Adventure (no transp.), Cozumel Total (no ferry tickets). Our guest service representative, Carlos, said only first seven are available for us, which later we found out was not true.
These tours are only available on certain days: Chichen Itza on Thursdays, Coba on Tuesdays, Tulum and Isla Mujeres: Mon, Wed, Fri, and Wet and Wild on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
I should mention that Isla Mujeres basically incudes transportation and food only (so we didn't go there).
We went to Coba, Chichen Itza and Tulum. After reviews about Wet and Wild I didn't really want to go there and it conflicted with the archeological sites we wanted to visit.
Since we are family of three, including our 5 years old daughter, we wanted for her to interact with dolphins. So the Dolphin Swim is included (you can buy it with resort credits that is), it is at 1:30 and 2:30 every day at Puerto Aventura which is close, but transportation is not available. Again, Carlos failed to mention that the sister property Moon Palace has dolphin interaction that can be paid for with resort credits, and there is a free shuttle every day to the Moon Palace. Neat, huh? You have to book the shuttle through PR person so that they know how many people are going the next day. Shuttle leaves at 11am, and leaves from Moon Palace at 5pm. The dolphin program starts at 1pm, we had to be there to register at 12:30, which gave us about 30 min to find the dolphin interaction place. Kids have to be 4ft or 120cm tall, and our child is 110 cm tall. Again, I didn't know how the program works, and weren't given much details, so we figured I will hold my daughter while she pets the dolphin. Long story short, people at the Moon Palace were surprised we got this type of interaction since it included a ride on the dolphin. But the trainers were amazing: very patient with the child while I was holding her for "kiss the dolphin", "dance with dolphin" stuff, and they took her to the open water and helped her ride the dolphin all by herself.
BTW, since I am talking about Moon Palace, I must say I didn't like it and was very happy that we ended up at Playacar Palace. The beach is horrible: all the seaweed, beach is nonexistent, water is sandy: big no for me. I can play in the pool at home, I go to Caribbean to soak in the sea and play in the sand :) Anyways, the pools at the Moon Palace are great, but too crowded with too loud of music for me. It seems that the place is geared more towards teenagers and 20-something people while Playacar is more of a family-oriented quiet relaxing place.
With credits you can book a romantic dinner for two on the beach. If you have kids, you can leave them in the kids club which is open from 10am to 1pm, then from 2 to 5, and from 7 to 9. Very convenient, they have all sorts of games there: Wii, Kinect for older kids, air hockey, doll house, they draw and paint on easels! The kids rule the place: they can order food and stuff will get it for them, they watch movies at night, they go to the pool (if parents permit), they do "dance around the pool"... staff knows the names of kids: it was so nice to walk on the property and hear stuff saying hi to my daughter calling her by her name. She loved it and asked us many times to send her to the kids club. I mean this is the best indicator they are doing a great job, right?
So back to the romantic dinner: they have a wooden platform on the beach so you can wear stilettos if you want, they set up cute tables for two, decorate them with hearts made of flowers, and serve very delicious dinner: salad, soup, main dish, and dessert. All of that with sparkling wine, coffee and if you want other drinks, they will bring them too of course. We made a mistake of booking the dinner on the last night of our stay (which was my birthday), and since we always have a bad luck, we were joking the whole time what's going to happen. The night before it was raining, but stopped right before the dinner time, so we figured it won't stop for us. Well, it was raining in the morning, so the dinners were rescheduled for everyone except us since it was our last day. They put us in Cafe Del Mar by the window, so we can see the ocean and did their best to have us feel by ourselves: they did not seat anyone at the at least four tables around us for the whole time (from 7pm to 9pm) - that is amazing! Oh, guess what? The rain had stopped in the afternoon, so yeah, we could have had the dinner on the beach. Told you - our "luck" always :)
Others mentioned already how nice the property is, how friendly the stuff is, the food for me was amazing. However, I overheard a couple of people on one of our trips and they claimed the food in Italian restaurant was "atrocious". They said exactly what they ordered and the next night I ordered the same things: I don't know what they were talking about, for the whole time in Playacar the chefs never ceased to amaze me with how delicious the food is. Not only in Italian restaurant, but in all the food places. I remember looking at some food not expecting anything, then placing it in my mouth and being surprised by how delicious it is. It just melts in your mouth...
We went to Teppanyaki twice, had the same chef Mario. We wanted to check another chef and made reservations with him specifically, but he was out, so Mario covered for him. Good for Mario I guess, he will get more practice so all his tricks work perfectly every time. My daughter is a picky eater, so it helped a lot that she saw how the food was cooked. Another time we went to the MoMo No HaNa (I hope I remembered the name right), we ordered Teriyaki Chicken for her and she asked for the second.
When we arrived, we asked for a room upgrade, and were told we were upgraded already - not sure if that was true since all rooms face the ocean I believe. We stayed on the 4th floor facing away from the pool and the pier - for us it was perfect. We like quiet :)
Even though the ferry is right there, the water is clear, blue, warm - perfect! Ferry makes the nice waves when it arrives and leaves. The only thing is the smell of the fuel when ferry leaves, but it doesn't stay long.
We wanted to go to XCaret, and not knowing what tours were included with the resort credits, I mentioned it to the guest service representative Carlos, who used this to sign us up for Elite Club presentation ("which is not timeshare" - they told us every ten minutes). After the presentation we were able to go to XCaret for $25 instead of $373 for three people. During the presentation, our salesman Pepe, said he would send me "good chocolates, no, I mean really good chocolates" on my birthday. Still waiting for them...
A note about souvenirs during archeological trips. Tour guides will be talking about great Maya invention - calendar, they will be telling about Mayan language, and healing stone obsidian. They will be taking you to the Maya cooperatives to buy cartouches with your names, the special dates written in Maya symbols and other stuff. The dates are written differently if you go to Coba/Tulum versus Chichen Itza. The price is slightly different. Coba/Tulum is $25, Chichen Itza is $22, but the paper is better in Coba/Tulum cooperative, and they use all symbols like ugly faces. The Chichen Itza people use combination of ugly faces and numbers written using dots and lines.
The prices for cartouches were better in Coba, don't remember the exact numbers anymore, but something like $7 less than if you buy one on the way to Tulum - that is for silver.
Have pesos and dollars - sometimes it is better to pay in pesos, sometimes in dollars :) If you can't multiply by 12 quickly, use calculator :) If you don't care about savings of a few dollars, especially after paying few thousand for the vacation, don't worry about pesos vs. dollars :)
Remember, if you are paying with credit cards, depending on what card you are using, your credit card company will charge you the foreign transaction fee of about 3%. There will also be discrepancies in how much you'll pay due to conversion between pesos and dollars: we still have to contact Playacar Palace since we were charged more that we were supposed to pay.

I want to say a special thank you to kids club stuff, including Cesar, to spa stuff, including Coral, the bar waitresses, including Ana, all the restaurant waiters and chefs!

To summarize, our stay was perfect with some minor things (lies, not full disclosure of information) which bother me (might've not bothered someone else), so I took one point off.

7 Thank California_Mama_K
Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#18 of 23 in Akumal
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#42 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#31 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#34 of 210 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Playacar Palace? Share your experiences!