“A bliss we will miss”
Review of Playacar Palace

Playacar Palace
Ranked #27 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Quaint, luxurious treat for the entire family.
Thank you to Mr. Rubio and the Playacar Palace staff for making a memorable vacation.
Special thanks to Leo and Donicio for a great service celebrating my daughters 15th birthday.
Perla thank you for taking care of my family and friends in the pool area.
To the life guard thanks for the extra eye on my children.
Luna lounge staff great service all the time.
Great nightly entertainment, great food, desserts and drinks.
To each person that works there thank you for always smiling and acknowledging peoples presence.
We love Playacar!

Till next time,
The Albright Family

• Stayed: July 2013
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

As I said in my first e-mail, when I receives the notice about your arrival "We will treat you as family", that was the only thing we did.

See you next year. Best wishes from all of us to all your family from your playacar family

D Rubio
Playacar Palace G.M.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,638)

Reviewed July 12, 2013

I went for my birthday and it was all that i imagined, service was wonderful and polite. The hotel was gorgeous it was not huge so if you have kids this is a place to go to ... L tours are great if you get a good tour guide but some tours are a little bit expensive but worth it, more days are better because you wont have enough time to do everything, LOVED it, i didn't want to leave.

Room Tip: upgrade! bigger Jacuzzi and more food selection in room
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Briana A
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Dear Jait345

On behalf of Playacar Palace Resorts, I would like to thank you for gave us the opportunity to host you on your last visit to Mexico and Riviera Maya. Furthermore, I want to thank you for taking the time to share yours comments with us about your experience here. I would like to say that you are now part of the Palace Resorts family.

We are looking forward to welcome you back at Playacar Palace

Reviewed July 11, 2013

My husband and I came to Playa del Carmen for five days to celebrate my brother's wedding. We knew this would be luxury, but we were still surprised every day at the amenities, services, and friendliness of the staff at Playacar. Located on a beautifully clean beach, the lounge chairs, volleyball court, and pool reach out to a gorgeous ocean view. Our room was always clean and cool. The pool was always fun and refreshing. We enjoyed a couples' massage with our resort credit and will probably never get better service anywhere else.

The food was amazing. And that is not something I often say about food since I am gluten-free. They took special care of me to make sure I was getting what I needed. They went above and beyond typical gluten-free fare by whipping up GF muffins and even fancy pastries. So good!

We were so pleased with the staff at Playacar. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. We loved getting to know Perla in the pool area, and Rudolfo was always especially friendly and helpful in the Cafe del Mar. I especially appreciated Francisco Dominquez and how he took care to make sure I had GF food.

Thank you for a wonderful vacation!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Heather B
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and thank you for your comments. Perla, Rodolfo, Fracnsico and all the Playacar Family feel proud of bben part of that special moment.They send you their best wishes

We also want to thank you for choosing us for such an important day of your life and we feel glad you enjoyed our service welcome to the Playacar family

Please contact me to make your first anniversary with us even better!

Hasta pronto

Reviewed July 10, 2013

At my suggestion, we traveled to Playacar Palace. I felt 5th ave would be a great spot for alittle night life for the 20 year olds . The area is young and they loved it. But, unfortunately we all got sick, all at different times, so, it wasn't one specific meal, and, NO...., no one had the flu! The problem was, when you weren't sick, you felt, if you ate, it will come back again, and again.
A constant queezy feeling one minute, then you would feel ok, and then, it would hit again.
Playacar is an older resort, no attention to detail. Although this is my first time at a Palace Property. I have stayed at their Hard Rock Properties and they were good ,but, they will point out to you, one property has nothing to do with the other. Not that Hard Rock is 5 star, more like 3 1/2 but they were ok we got what we paid for.
Playacar Palace is an outdated resort. Water filtration must be old and outdated as well. The beach is great. But unless they acquire a better filtration system I would look elsewhere. Out of 16 people, everyone was sick, at one time or another.
We still had a good time.
If they would sink some money into updating the resort, I would be back. It is a small gem of a place. In a fun location. But who wants to go away and spend a couple of days of vacation in bed, or "El Bano".
Love the location. Sink some money into the property, update all of your facilities. There are some doors on every floor that have something like cardboard on them. Tacky, What's that about? Certain parts of the property smell of sewer. Like the bottom floor around the sun suites. When they pump the sewer out of the building it is horrible, all you smell is sewer . This is how you know the filtration is old.
Create a property where no one will become ill . If you do, I would definately try again. Fix the problems ! You know what they are. Your beach and location screams boutique ! Beach makes it worth it. If you build it they will come........! I know I will.......................

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Travelers2everywhere
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and we're very sorry to hear that me did not meet your expectations. We will take into consideration the areas that need improvement. Also, please be assured that health and well being of our guests are always a top priority, and as such we take comments such as yours very seriously. We would like to take this opportunity to inform you that we have strict food quality control measures in place that are tested on a daily basis. Furthermore, Health & Sanitation authorities make unannounced audits to confirm that these guidelines are met, we are proud to inform all our guests that we are in full compliance.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed here for 6 nights & 7 day for my cousin's wedding last year. Although our reservation was mixed up (put us (a couple) in a room with 2 queen beds when we requested a King bed) the room was sorted out after our first night (moved all of our stuff to a King room). I wasn't a fan of the lunch or dinner buffet, but breakfast was good. I enjoyed the specialty restaurants more than anything. Service can be slow, but we also dined in larger parties (6+ people). We enjoyed a romantic dinner for 2 on the beach and were blessed with beautiful weather. We had resort credits and used them to swim with dolphins (highly recommend!), I got a manicure and my hair done for the wedding, he got a massage. We also had the romantic dinner on the beach, toured Coba (ruins) that included lunch at a local restaurant (highly recommend) and also used resort credit to have professional pictures taken (came home with a DVD of over 150 images!). The pools were clean and warm. The bar and wait staff were always pleasant. The beach was clean and our room was made up and turned down every night. We also had room service on the last night and it was a nice way to end our vacation. I would definitely go back! They also did a great job accommodating the 40+ people that were there for the wedding. It was a beautiful beach ceremony and we had the reception inside (Mayan gods were not blessing us with 100% sunny weather).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

We truly appreciate your review, was lovely o receive you at Playacar Palace for such an unforgetable day like your wedding's! Thank you so much! Our top priority is to offer an exceptional service to each of our guest and it is very satisfying to read that this was your case.

Thank you for your recomendations, the most part of them have already improve.

All the Playacar Family will really proud and happy to see this review.
Thank you again and we hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Upon arrival, we were asked about allergies. We mentioned my wife's gluten intolerance. From that moment on, all of the restaurant managers were constantly talking to the chefs as to the best dishes to have for each meal. Special breads and pastries were prepared each day. Even special deserts were available.

Room Tip: Become a Palace member.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DEBlueHen17

Thank you so much for your comment on TRIPADVISOR, we truly appreciate it. Our top priority is to offer an exceptional service to each of our guest. We alse know how special allergies are, and even more ina foreign country.

Thank you for your kind words about our staff, this motivates them to keep putting their best effort in their daily job.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

After reading all the reviews we had expectations that PP could not live up to. This resort is NOT a 4 star resort (out of a possible 5 star). I would rate it a solid 3 star. It is in desperate need of updating. I was told that this will take place within the next 2 years. Once they sink money into this property it will be a 5 star resort. For now, the main thing they have are 4 star employees. The employees are super friendly and willing to go out of their way to service their guests.

The good:

- Location, Location, Location - on a beautiful WIDE beach next to 5th Ave Shopping
- Spa - Brand New - VERY Nice. Went there every day for the sauna & steam room. Had a couples massage, Mani & Pedi - Excellent experience
- Employees - Couldn't ask for a nicer group of people

The Bad:

- Desperate need of updating
- Towels - BIG, BIG, BIG PROBLEM - They would run out of beach towels daily. Came back from a day long excursion around 4:00 pm. Went to the pool - NO TOWELS available. They would run out by late morning early afternoon and it would stay that way the remaining day.
Same goes for room towels. My wife requested 3 face cloths several times in one day. They never arrived. I went to the front desk, borrowed a pair of scissors, went back to my room and cut my custom face cloths from the last remaining clean towel in the room.
- They have an antiquated system in place to reserve spa services, tours and diner reservations – all through concierge. If you find yourself at the spa and want to add a service, you must go back to the lobby to concierge to do it.
- Food – it was okay. Nothing great. Similar to cruise food, maybe a notch or 2 above. Did the Chef’s menu – wish I hadn’t. Every night they have a chef grilling steak, fish & chicken outside by the pool over a wood fire. I would rather have eaten another BBQ meal poolside rather than what was served at the Chef’s Menu

We had a big issue relating to rooms that were promised. They did not fulfill what was promised. On day 2 we switched rooms. Nice upgrade, but would rather have had what was promised.
One big stand out was Mara – she is 2nd in command at the resort. Absolutely loved her. Always a smile on her face. She is 100% service oriented. She deserves a 5 star rating.
Timeshare sales – They tried to sell us on a Timeshare presentation – just politely say no and you should be fine

We did a day at Xplor with our kids (24 -20-20) . GREAT TIME. Some advice – buy tickets online before you leave for a 10% discount. They open at 9:00 am. GET THERE AT 8:30. We arrived 30 min before opening and began to register immediately. We got into the park a few min BEFORE 9:00 and were one of the first on the Zip Lines. There was an hour + line when we were finished doing all the zip lines – get there early.

We did the Dolphin Excursion with our resort credits. Excellent Excursion. Do a late afternoon dolphin swim. We had a 3:30 reservation. We decided to rent a car from the resort $99 a day including insurance. We drove to Akumal Beach to swim with the turtles. You pass the dolphin excursion on the way to Akumal. We rented snorkel gear from the dive shop on the beach. We saw at least a dozen sea turtles, some sting rays and a bunch of colorful fish. We spent a few hours at Akumal, had lunch there and then moved onto the sea turtles. Very memorable day. Don’t worry about driving. Keep at the posted speed limit and you will be fine. Easy to find. Get directions from concierge.

We started off on a bad note due to the room situation and left very happy. We plan on going back AFTER renovations in a couple of year. If you lower your expectations of Playacar Palace, you will have an excellent time.

Room Tip: The Sand Suites are the way to go IMO. We were promised 2 Sand Suites upon arrival and only manage...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank John G
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

I truly regret to read that we were not able to fulfill your expectations. Allow me to thank you for bringing to my attention the areas of opportunity encountered during your recent stay at Playacar Palace. Comments like yours help us to improve and guarantee all our guests a unique and relaxing experience.

We are aware of the lack of towels that affected the hotel during the last week, but that situation has been already resolve. I offer you my apologies about the rooms, with a full house is not always possible to give upgrades, and more even if the rooms are booked.

Please be sure that proper measures have been taken to avoid future discontents regarding these matters. We hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again and provide you the 5 star experience.

D, Rubio