“Traveling gluten free”

Ranked #20 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Newark, De
“Traveling gluten free”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Upon arrival, we were asked about allergies. We mentioned my wife's gluten intolerance. From that moment on, all of the restaurant managers were constantly talking to the chefs as to the best dishes to have for each meal. Special breads and pastries were prepared each day. Even special deserts were available.

Room Tip: Become a Palace member.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DEBlueHen17
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you so much for your comment on TRIPADVISOR, we truly appreciate it. Our top priority is to offer an exceptional service to each of our guest. We alse know how special allergies are, and even more ina foreign country.

Thank you for your kind words about our staff, this motivates them to keep putting their best effort in their daily job.

Playacar Palace G.M.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,117)
  • Korean first
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed July 9, 2013

After reading all the reviews we had expectations that PP could not live up to. This resort is NOT a 4 star resort (out of a possible 5 star). I would rate it a solid 3 star. It is in desperate need of updating. I was told that this will take place within the next 2 years. Once they sink money into this property it will be a 5 star resort. For now, the main thing they have are 4 star employees. The employees are super friendly and willing to go out of their way to service their guests.

The good:

- Location, Location, Location - on a beautiful WIDE beach next to 5th Ave Shopping
- Spa - Brand New - VERY Nice. Went there every day for the sauna & steam room. Had a couples massage, Mani & Pedi - Excellent experience
- Employees - Couldn't ask for a nicer group of people

The Bad:

- Desperate need of updating
- Towels - BIG, BIG, BIG PROBLEM - They would run out of beach towels daily. Came back from a day long excursion around 4:00 pm. Went to the pool - NO TOWELS available. They would run out by late morning early afternoon and it would stay that way the remaining day.
Same goes for room towels. My wife requested 3 face cloths several times in one day. They never arrived. I went to the front desk, borrowed a pair of scissors, went back to my room and cut my custom face cloths from the last remaining clean towel in the room.
- They have an antiquated system in place to reserve spa services, tours and diner reservations – all through concierge. If you find yourself at the spa and want to add a service, you must go back to the lobby to concierge to do it.
- Food – it was okay. Nothing great. Similar to cruise food, maybe a notch or 2 above. Did the Chef’s menu – wish I hadn’t. Every night they have a chef grilling steak, fish & chicken outside by the pool over a wood fire. I would rather have eaten another BBQ meal poolside rather than what was served at the Chef’s Menu

We had a big issue relating to rooms that were promised. They did not fulfill what was promised. On day 2 we switched rooms. Nice upgrade, but would rather have had what was promised.
One big stand out was Mara – she is 2nd in command at the resort. Absolutely loved her. Always a smile on her face. She is 100% service oriented. She deserves a 5 star rating.
Timeshare sales – They tried to sell us on a Timeshare presentation – just politely say no and you should be fine

We did a day at Xplor with our kids (24 -20-20) . GREAT TIME. Some advice – buy tickets online before you leave for a 10% discount. They open at 9:00 am. GET THERE AT 8:30. We arrived 30 min before opening and began to register immediately. We got into the park a few min BEFORE 9:00 and were one of the first on the Zip Lines. There was an hour + line when we were finished doing all the zip lines – get there early.

We did the Dolphin Excursion with our resort credits. Excellent Excursion. Do a late afternoon dolphin swim. We had a 3:30 reservation. We decided to rent a car from the resort $99 a day including insurance. We drove to Akumal Beach to swim with the turtles. You pass the dolphin excursion on the way to Akumal. We rented snorkel gear from the dive shop on the beach. We saw at least a dozen sea turtles, some sting rays and a bunch of colorful fish. We spent a few hours at Akumal, had lunch there and then moved onto the sea turtles. Very memorable day. Don’t worry about driving. Keep at the posted speed limit and you will be fine. Easy to find. Get directions from concierge.

We started off on a bad note due to the room situation and left very happy. We plan on going back AFTER renovations in a couple of year. If you lower your expectations of Playacar Palace, you will have an excellent time.

Room Tip: The Sand Suites are the way to go IMO. We were promised 2 Sand Suites upon arrival and only manage...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank John G
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
I truly regret to read that we were not able to fulfill your expectations. Allow me to thank you for bringing to my attention the areas of opportunity encountered during your recent stay at Playacar Palace. Comments like yours help us to improve and guarantee all our guests a unique and relaxing experience.

We are aware of the lack of towels that affected the hotel during the last week, but that situation has been already resolve. I offer you my apologies about the rooms, with a full house is not always possible to give upgrades, and more even if the rooms are booked.

Please be sure that proper measures have been taken to avoid future discontents regarding these matters. We hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again and provide you the 5 star experience.

D, Rubio
Hazlet, New Jersey
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We attended a Wedding at the resort. We had a great time. The staff was excellent, so helpful and attentive. Almost any request was quickly and cheerfully attended to. The food was great in the buffet restaurant. We didn't get to try the other places. The beach was beautiful and the pool/pool bar was great!! Just two minor complaints, we requested 2 beds and got a king with a cot. My daughter paid her own way and she had to sleep on a cot. The other problem was the lack of towels by the pool. Get your towels early! The location is walking distance to shopping and Senor Frogs. Overall, it was a great place, alot of fun and we would definitely go again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for taking the time of sharing your experience with us. All the Playacar Family truly appreciate it. It is a pleasure to know that you chose us as hosts and that we were able to exceed your expectations making of that celebration a unique and memorable experience. I was pleased to know that your relaxing vacation with us was highlighted by the courteous attention of our staff, comfort room accommodation & amenities, and enjoyable food in our restaurants. It was a delight to see you enjoyed our evening entertainment and experienced relaxing moments at our spa facilities. Allow me to confirm that the lack of towels has been already corrected.

Comments like yours have always been of great assistance in fulfilling this mission. We are looking forward to having you as our guests again and make every effort to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We are on our 6th day at the Playacar Palace. We are here for a wedding and this is the first time we have stayed at an all inclusive resort. Historically we have avoided all inclusive properties as we prefer to have the flexibility of a condo with a kitchen. We also enjoy getting out in whatever locale we are visiting and trying new restaurants and experiencing the area. When you stay at an all inclusive, you feel you are "paying for it anyway" and aren't motivated to explore. That said, the food has been good. The hotel has 3 restaurants plus a pool bar. Breakfast is our favorite and the pool bar is a good option for lunch. Tonight we are trying the Asian restaurant which we have heard good things. We are traveling with our two young children and having an abundance of food and drink at your disposal is pretty nice. I am bothered at the amount of waste but trying to not think about it. It seems like people are eating and drinking all of the time.

What we keep commenting on every day is the amazing staff- primarily the restaurant and pool servers and the housekeeping staff. Perla, who works at the pool, is fabulous! She has been there every day of our stay and has been so wonderful. She is always checking on you to make sure we are comfortable and our needs are met. I recommend tipping the pool staff on your first day. Gustavo is housekeeping has done a beautiful job with our room and does special touches to bring a smile to my children's face every day. Catalina in the Kids Club is so friendly and never seems to appear tired even though day after day she is entertaining everyone's children. I don't know how she does it!

The hotel is clean and the rooms are spacious. We have an ocean view room but I would recommend getting one with a balcony. Do not open your windows to the sea. Moisture in the air fills your room immediately soaking the floors. Our youngest child slipped and fell twice within 10min of our arrival. We had to mop the floors with a towel. Speaking of towels...you will read on other reviews about the shortage of towels in the room and particularly at the pool. This is no joke. We were at the pool all day yesterday and from 9:30a until we left at 6:30p and there were never any towels. None. For anyone. It is really a shame that a beach resort hotel can't provide enough towels for their guests. We all just drip dried. Each day our room would be cleaned beautifully however we would be left with 1 or 2 towels for 4 guests. No hand towels etc. I'm not sure why the hotel can't seem to rectify this as it is annoying and inconvenient.

Aside from the lack of towels and if you don't get bothered by the negatives that an all inclusive resort can bring, I think this is a great property. We have stayed in hotels all over the world and I have never experienced a staff that is so friendly and happy to be at work. The training they receive is remarkable. It is a great option for families with young children and anyone looking to relax. The gym is on the small side and gets crowded quickly.

Don't get suckered as we did to sit through the sales presentation to purchase a membership. Unless you are ready to sign up after your presentation, it isn't worth your time. Take the ferry and explore Cozumel. The Palace property on Cozumel is nice and there are excursions you can do over there. We rented a jeep and drove around the island. We stopped at various beaches and it was nice to "get off the reservation."

We would consider returning to the Playacar Palace but would like to experience Playa del Carmen next time.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Sammyhoward
Thank you in the Playacar Famili's name for giving us the opportunity to be your hosts. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to your home away from home and guarantee that your future stay is excellent, surrounded by a relaxing atmosphere and a warm professional service provided by our team

Tucker, Georgia
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is a terrific all-inclusive in Playa Del Carmen. You are literally beside the ferry to Cozumel, and when staying at the Palace you get complimentary service at any other Palace in the area. Great concierge service set up trips, dinners, etc. at our convenience. Exceptional service and style. I cannot wait to return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nathan G
Thank you very much for taking the time of sharing your experience with us. It is a pleasure to know that you chose us as hosts of your honeymoon and that we were able to exceed your expectations making of this celebration a unique and memorable experience. I was pleased to know that your relaxing vacation with us was highlighted by the courteous attention of our staff, comfort room accommodation & amenities, and enjoyable food in our restaurants. It was a delight to see you enjoyed our evening entertainment and experienced relaxing moments at our spa facilities.

Please, feel free to contact me for your next stay.

Playacar Palace GM
San Antonio
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed at Playacar Palace from 6/25-7/2/13 with my husband and two teenaged kids (18 & 16). I booked a resort view room because I heard that most rooms had a nice view. We initally were given a nice size room with 2 beds on the third floor in the back of the resort with our balconey facing an ugly area of construction. It was a depressing view and 3 construction workers kept staring at me and my daughter as we were hanging out on the balconey. My husband went down to the front desk to see if we could use our resort credits to get a room with a better view. We were then given room 112 which was on the first floor and the balconey opened straight out onto the breathtaking pool and beach! The room only had 1 king sized bed but we were able to move the furniture around and were able to fit 2 roll away beds in the room. It was a tight fit but definitely worth the view! They charged us 750 resort credits for the upgrade but we only paid $81 in taxes on it for the whole week. We also had problems with the maids leaving us only 2 towels for the 4 of us but when I would call down to the maid service about this then they would bring us as many towels as we needed in about 5 minutes. We called the front desk about several things (towels, roll away beds, waters) and they were always very prompt about taking care of our requests. It was the best room because the pool waiters would walk right up to our balconey to serve us drinks or food when we would hang out there during the day or early evening.
Every morning, my husband & I enjoyed waking up early to jog on the beach, or through the town of Playa del Carmen or through the pretty neighborhood of Playacar to see the cool beach houses. I never felt uncomfortable or unsafe and saw many policeman/guards patrolling the area. We even enjoyed the gym which had free weights, machines, ellipticals, treadmills, and stationary bikes. Pool/beach towels were always available in the mornings but were more difficult to come by during the day.
We are beach people and hung out there most of the week. The beach had white sand and very calm, clear, aqua blue water all week. There were plenty of beach chairs and umbrellas available but you weren't allowed to move them near the ocean. I brought some blow up inner tube floats with us and loved floating in the water watching the fish swim by. The waitresses were attentive and brought us drinks all day long. My family enjoyed the daily volleyball games on the beach with the workers and other guests. The Cozumel ferry, which is right next door, never bothered us and would bring waves in the water as it approched the dock.
There is a bar & grill right by the pool where we ordered food for lunch every day. You can order food from the waitress on the beach but it was a lot faster to just walk to the pool grill instead. They served a variety of food such as pizzas, nachos, hamburgeres, sandwiches, quesadillas, guacamole, etc.. In all the restaurants at the resort, if they didn't have a particular type of food on the menu or at the buffet, all we had to do was ask our server and they would promptly go see if they could get it for us. We were never told "no" for our requests. Their employees work really hard in the hot sun all day but always have a smile on their faces- our family always tipped them for their efforts. There were games and music at the pool throughout the day.
We enjoyed the food at all of the restaurants. The Italian restaurant was delicious but had a very fancy feel to it and took about 2 hours to get through all of the courses. I think it would be very difficult for young children to sit through that long of a meal. The Italian restaurant never had a wait. The Asian restaurant was really good too (especially the sushi) but didn't take as long to get your courses. However, some nights there would be an hour long wait for it. My husband would just go down there and put our name on the waitlist as me and my kids were getting ready for the evening. The only restaurant that takes and requires reservations is the Hibachi part of the Asian restaurant. It was a very entertaining show/presentation which took about 1.5 hours and the food was good there too! The buffet restaurant had delicious breakfasts (which didn't really change throughout the week) but had a large variety of breakfast items with an omlet station. The dinners at the buffet always had some type of Mexican food but then would always have a different nightly theme of another type of food (french, italian, asian, etc..) My family always found something they enjoyed in all the restaurants and none of us had any stomach issues with the food, drinks, or ice.
The only excursions we did were on our own. Took a cab to Akumal (25 minute ride) where we snorkeled on our own and saw fish & sea turtles and ate lunch at a cool beach club/restaurant called La Buena Vida in Half Moon Bay. Took the ferry to Cozumel ($26 rountrip per person) and hung out at the Cozumel Palace resort (no beach) all day. It was about a 15-20 min (hot) walk from the ferry. If you are elderly, have young kids or just don't like to walk then take a cab there. Enjoyed eating and drinking there for free all day (their outdoor grill had a slightly different menu), played water volleyball in the pool, and loved the great snorkeling (snorkeling gear is free) off their reef- saw tons of great fish there!
We also went to Coco Bongos on Friday evening ($70 per person with an open bar) and had fun dancing all night and watching the show- its quite an experience! This is an extremely crowded place so don't go there if you can't handle crowds. Its cheaper if you go during the week.
Before we left for vacation, I checked the weather forecast and it showed at least a 40-60% chance of rain every day which made me nervous. It only rained a few times while we were there and it mostly would just last for about 30 minutes (and would feel good because it would cool us off). We would see showers on the horizon almost every day but for the most part they would just blow away.
This is our 8th visit to the Cancun/Playa del Carmen area and our 2nd time to stay at a Palace Resort (we stayed at Beach Palace last year in Cancun). We have loved our stays at the Palace Resorts and will recommend them to our friends! Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Room Tip: There are some rooms with depressing balconey views. Try to get an upgrade or just spend the money o...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Angusgirl
Deas Angusgirl

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us and other travelers your impressions at Playacar Palace. It was a great pleasure to be at your service during this family vacations.

I hope to be able to welcome you back at out home again.

Lansdale, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Last June, we traveled to Playacar Palace with our children and despite some bumps at check in (really? we booked adjoining rooms but they have none at this resort?), management made things right and we ended up becoming Palace Elite Members because we loved the location and the service. We were so excited to return with our four children this year to the resort for a reservation in the Presidential Suite booked with Palace Elite back in January.

We arrived at the resort, enjoyed our welcome cocktail and when we gave our name, the agent could not locate our reservation. Wait- there it is- but it is booked starting the next day! Now we are here sipping sangria and told that the resort is fully booked and we will have to move to the sister resort, Moon Palace in Cancun. Realizing that we had little choice, we took a taxi ride ($120 and an hour 0ne way) to the resort and checked into the Presidential Suite. Moon Palace was nice but very large and the room was out of the way of everything so we let the front desk know that the next day, we'd be returning to Playacar as planned. We were told that our room would be ready by 1pm.

Sunday morning comes and we check out of Moon Palace and then get in the cab for the return 1 hour trip (and another $120!) back to Playacar. We arrived at 1pm and alas were told that our room would be ready at 3pm!! Determined to keep things positive, we met with our vacation planner to hear about use of our $1500 per room credit and were told that this year, we are only able to use it for two excursions, Tulum or Wet & Wild, or $300 at the spa, and would need to pay 11% tax on any services utilized. We were then also told that our reservation credits were not appearing and so we most likely had none available but they would check.

Our room was ready at 2pm and we checked into our room and went to the pool. There were no towels there for our group. We were told to return in 30 minutes and two hours later, there were no towels still. By the way, for every day of our trip, we received either no towels, one towel or two towels for our group of six to share at the pool. The resort apparently has an ongoing problem with towels now that I have read recent reviews. It is evident as rooms also were short on towels.

Service even as an Elite member was disappointing. I was consistently hearing from both my Elite Vacation Planner and the hotel manager that they were working on making us whole and the result would be forthcoming. We checked in on Saturday initially and finally on Monday were able to use some of our resort credits when they were confirmed. Also we received no compensation at all except that on Friday the afternoon before we checked out, they awarded us an additional 500 resort credits which were useless to us (we left with over 2,000 unused credits anyway!). They were so overwhelmed with complaints from other guests, they just didn't seem to be able to do anything. If you're a diamond member, you can get towels and reserved seating at the pools but other than that, membership means little here anymore.

A few other comments: Service is slow if you need something (pillow selection, roll away bed, notifying housekeeping of the flooding in your room from the rain!) expect to call more than once. The change in the overall feel of the resort in one year was astonishing. No poolside grill setup as it was daily last year, no change in décor of the restaurant to reflect the nightly theme, etc. Food is good here and always plenty and the staff will bend over to help to please you, but when it comes to actually addressing any issues, management just smiles and makes promises with no apparent intent to make things right.

Playacar Palace remains a beautiful beachfront resort that is suffering from a change in ownership or the company's establishment of priorities elsewhere. I regret that we jumped into ownership only to find out that the value of this has immediately diminished. The people of Mexico and the shop owners on Fifth Avenue will still warm your heart but after making such an investment, you expect a dependable reservation and a towel by the pool every day. Arriving in Mexico with your family to find that someone messed up your reservation just isn't acceptable and losing a day and $240 just isn't right.

If you read my review of last June when we first visited, you'll see how very much things have changed!

Room Tip: If you're traveling with kids, note that most rooms do not connect so you will be separated! I w...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ann Marie E
Dear Ann Marie E

Thank you very much for your kind comments and your observation.

Allow me firstly to apologize profusely for the inconvenience you experienced and secondly, send you my gratitude for taking the time to let me know in person of this situation.

As I share with you a year ago, our top priority is the satisfaction of our family, like you. A hotel is not an island in the middle of the sea, self-sufficient. We depend on so many other departments, suppliers, travel agencies, etc. None of them are perfect. At the end we are the ones we afford the circumstances, and trust me, we try to do our best, every single day. In the good days and in the bad days, always with a smile.
I respect and am aware about the nonconformity about the lack of towels, that is one of the dependence I mentioned before, but I can assure you that we are not overwhelmed with complaints.

I offer you my deep apologies, and I hope this issue will not deter your future visits to our resort and, as I mentioned in June 2012, send me a little note prior to your next visit so I may personally see to the complete success of a renewed opportunity to serve you, as the Playacar Family did it last June

Playcaar Palace G.M.
Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#18 of 23 in Akumal
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#44 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Playacar Palace? Share your experiences!