“Good Time & Good Vacation... but need towels!!!”
Review of Playacar Palace

Playacar Palace
Ranked #20 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Deer Park, Texas
“Good Time & Good Vacation... but need towels!!!”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My wife and I traveled from Monday to Monday and had a good time. Weather was great, beer was cold and met lots of great people and new friends. Had a few rain showers on 2 or 3 days but nothing to write home about, they blew thru quickley. Service was very good, food was awesome... no complaints. Only item to mention was the LACK OF TOWELS! Almost everyday was a battle and struggle. Ran out of towels for rooms - ran out of towels for the pool. Please, management - if you read this - fix this problem! This is why I said it was a good vacation vs a great vacation!

Room Tip: Spa is new, only open four months. Very, very good service. I would compare it to LaBlanc.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JerryandLeslie0901
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear JerryandLeslie0901

Thank you so much for your comments. We are working very hard to fix the problem, and it will be in just a few days.

Playacar Palace G.M.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,116)
  • Korean first
ms
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed at the Playa Car Palace resort last week. It was the 2nd time our family has visited this resort. The first was 2 summers ago. We absolutely loved it on that occasion. You can find my review under my contributions. This time, however, did not live up to the previous trip, unfortunately. The main difference is the whole resort credit issue. It is a huge scam. The last time we stayed, the resort credit was definitely a bonus! My husband and son played golf and my daughters and I went to the spa. Our favorite thing we used our credit on was 2 photo shoots. We hd our pictures made on two occasions on the beach and around the resort. I do not remember if they gave us actual prints, but I do know they gave us a CD of ALL of the photos that were taken.
This trip was different. ALOT different!! Honestly, they should do away with the whole resort credit. I would rather not have it at all, than be scammed like we were!
First of all, we had two rooms. $500 credit in each room. We were paying for both rooms obviously, but the credit cannot be combined.
We go to the photo booth to make a reservation for a photo shoot. We were really looking forward to that because it was a lot of fun last time. Can you believe that it costs $650 to take pictures of 6 ppl and you only get 5 prints! Not the CD of all of your pictures---just 5 prints. 5 photos. That is $130 per photo. Plus, because you cannot combine credit from both rooms, we would have to pay the extra $150! PLUS you have to pay tax on the FULL amount even though no money has been exchanged. That's resort tax of 11%. So those 5 photos would have cost us $221.
They don't affiliate with the same golf course that they did 2 years ago, so if you want to play golf, you must travel 45 minutes away to the Moon Palace. My husband didn't want to spend the time traveling there. So, we had $1000 of resort credit to spend. We went to the gift shop to see if we could spend it there. Well, there are 3 things you can spend your credit in there. Sunglasses priced 3 times what they are in the US, on tiny rack of swimsuits with the cheapest one being $127. And finally, sunscreen which was $36 a bottle! Ok, the worst part is, you must spend a minimum of $75, and you can only use $50 of your credit. PLUS you pay 11% tax on the entire purchase. Lastly, I went to the spa to see if I could use it there. Well, I could only spend $100 per room at the spa. Can't combine credit from rooms, so I was limited to a manicure using $67 from one of the rooms. I be darned if I was going to pay the extra $40 that I would have to pay to get a facial. The facial was $140. And don't forget, I still had to pay the tax on the whole $67. It was just the principle! Don't scam people.
The other realt infuriating thing about this trip is the towel situation.
There were no towels I our room when we checked in. Got ready to shower and called front desk. Was told that they would send towels up right away. My daughter came to our room. They did t have towels either. I ave them our only towel I the room: a hand towel. 30 minutes later I called again. Was told again that towels would be sent right up. 30 minutes later I showered and dried off with toilet paper! Went to the front desk to complain. Encountered several other couples with same problem. One couple told me they had been there 4 nights and still didnt have towels!
The next day, our first day on the beach, I stop by the towel hut; guess what? No towels! The guy told me to check back at 4 pm ! They actually paid someone to stand at the towel hut all day and tell ppl that there were no towels!
Ok, that's all the negative stuff. But it's enough to make me lower my rating for sure.
Other than the towel situation, the rooms are awesome. The beds are comfy and the AC works great. Those are always my main concerns. There is a fully stocked mini fridge, 2 big bottles of water, snacks, and a coffee maker. Loved the big bottle of CHI lotion.
The service was wonderful too other than the towels situation. All of the food was good. We ate breakfast at the Buffett every mornin and had lunch at the pool bar every day. Beach bar service is excellent. We tried both restaurants again. Ate at the Asian, Itallian and had hibachi one night. They were all good.
The hotel is beautiful and the service is good. Might still go back. Will just have to remember that the so called "resort credit" is not really a bonus.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank MSmom11
Thank you very much for such an extensive review and thank you for the time to write it. Nothing is more important than the information that a feedback provides, and I will take it into consideration.

I offer you my apologies if the changes that affected the Resort Credit program were below your expectations, and I can assure you we are working very hard to fix the lack of towels, and will be in just a few days.

hope this issue will not deter your future visits to our resort and I ask that prior to your next visit you send me a little note so that I may personally see to the complete success of a renewed opportunity to serve you

Monterey, CA
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Getting to the hotel is so easy! We took the comfortable, air conditioned ADO Bus from CUN and it cost $10 USD and they did not charge for our 18 month old child (other forms of transportation we looked at were going to charge for her); it took about 45 minutes to get to downtown Playa del Carmen, there are no stops in between, and it was a five minute walk from the bus stop to the hotel. We weren't really sure about taking the ADO bus because we couldn't get an accurate location for the hotel from the bus stop, but we decided to just wing it and we're glad we did. When you get dropped off, you're facing the ferry terminal, go right, you will run right into Playacar Palace. Check-in took less than 10 minutes and we even had a partial ocean view for no extra charge. I booked off Hotwire so I assumed I'd get the lowest type of room offered, but I asked for it in the notes and they granted my request. Location is right on the beach, and the infinity pool looks small in the pictures, but it's really an adequate size. The food was amazing for an all inclusive. I wasn't expecting much, but I was impressed! The Asian was very good and the Italian was delicious; we even got two bottles of wine at our Italian dinner off of their included wine list; we didn't finish either bottle but put a pretty good dent in each. The waiter didn't bring it out glass by glass which was nice not having to wait. The sports bar/lounge was a nice place to go, open until 1am. The only issue I had with it was the smell, they used way too much air freshener in there and it's hard to breathe. The location is right off of 5th Ave and you can just walk for miles through all the shops. It's also right next to the ferry terminal if you want to go to Cozumel. The service was top notch and we were never without a drink in hand. Everyone was friendly and we had a great time. We even took the shuttle over to Moon Palace and let the kids play in the pools there. That was a lot of fun as well. All in all, it was perfect and we would stay there again!

Room Tip: Just ask for one!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank chigirl000
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Chigirl000

Thank you for the time to write and porst your review on Trip advisor. We feel proud you enjoyed your service and remember that Playacar will always be your warm home away from home.

Please, feel free to contact me anytime at your next visit in order to make all the arrangements about your room and special details

Austin, Texas
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 7 days and were married last Saturday at the resort. The wedding was perfect thanks to Yazmin. Our room was perfect (110) after a request to switch when we arrived. we had an ocean view with two patios! not much privacy due to being on the first floor but we didn't mind. The access to the beach, pool, and lobby was well worth it. The only complaint I have is that we never had enough towels, and they ran out at the pool as well. But if that is all that went wrong all week, they are doing pretty good! All of the staff were so nice and attentive. They really seemed to enjoy what they do. A special thanks to Marina, Perla, Victor, Alexander, Israel, Sarah, and all the others I have forgotten. You all made our stay unforgettable! We actually went for an afternoon over to Cozumel Palace and were very disappointed after the bar that was set at Playacar Palace. Thank you for an amazing week! Can't wait to go back and have another Banana Monkey!!!

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Paula V
Dear Paula

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and thank you for your comments. Yazmin, Sara, Perla, Israel, Vctor Alex and every single person you mentioned has a copy of your letters and they send you their best wishes

We also want to thank you for choosing us for such an important day of your life and we feel glad you enjoyed our service welcome to the Playacar family

Please contact me to make your first anniversary with us even better!

Hasta pronto

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My in-laws decided to celebrate their 50th anniversary by taking all of the kids & grandkids on a beach vacation. We had five rooms for 14 people total, ranging from 3 year old twins to my early 70's in-laws. I can't complain much as I didn't pay for the trip and don't know how much my in-laws paid, so it's hard for me to judge the value of it. There were some positives and negatives to report.

We flew into Cancun's Airport. My mother in law had arranged transportation to the resort, which is 45-60 minutes south of the airport. With 14 passengers and roughly 28 pieces of baggage, I expected one of those airport shuttle type vans or something bigger. Nope. We we literally crammed into an extended passenger van with only 13 seats and insufficient luggage space. The twins had to sit on laps, and my 9 years old ended up on top of some of the suitcases next to the sliding door. Even worse, half the seat belts didn't work or were missing. While the transport company is different than the Palace resort company, they were specifically recommended by the resort.In hindsight, we never should have gotten into the van in the first place - should have demanded a second vehicle instead. (My MIL complained and for the return trip we were given two vans.)

At the resort, check in was fairly easy. since we had the All-Inclusive option, we were required to wear wristbands the whole week, which was kind of a pain if you aren't used to wearing a watch.

.We were given an ocean view room on the 4th floor. They view from the balcony was nice. We had two double beds, not queen beds as we'd been led to believe. They told us the only bedding options were a King or two doubles. The room had a hot tub in it next to the sliding door to the balcony. I think the kids used it twice the whole week, and honestly, I wish we didn't have it, so they could have given us real queen beds and maybe a sofa or couple of chairs in that space instead,

There was no carpeting in the room at all, which is apparently true of all of the guest rooms, just like with the hot tubs. We had a mini-fridge which was restocked daily, as well as a small four bottle liquor dispensary for rum, vodka, tequila, and scotch. We didn't touch the liquor due to the lack of mixers in the room. (Only soda and orange or apple juice.) The TV was good, although the cable/satellite channels were very hit or miss about being in English or Spanish. There seemed to be no pattern to them.

Housekeeping service usually came in the late afternoon, but not always. Once they knocked on our door at 8:30 am before my wife & kids were even awake. The housekeeping was good, but the towel service was haphazard at best. Initially, our room was stocked with only two bath towels, one hand towel, and two wash cloths. I called and two more bath towels were delivered.
The next day, we got 4 fresh bath towels, no hand towels, one wash cloth, and one bath mat. It seemed like they were constantly short of hand towels and wash clothes. One day we got towel service early and were stocked with 4 bath, 0 hand, 2 wash clothes, and 2 bath mats (one for the hot tub, one for the shower). After housekeeping came, we returned to find only 2 bath towels, 0 hand towels, 0 wash clothes, and 0 bath mats!

The resort has three restaurants, but two are only open for dinner, so everyone usually eats in the other one, Cafe Del Mar, for breakfast and lunch. You can get room service 24 hours a day if you want. Cafe Del Mar had a good selection of breakfast food. Lots of bacon every morning, although no sausage as Americans are used to. What they labeled as sausage was either hot dogs or an Argentinian sausage, which was very sweet with minimal spices. Fresh Orange, Grapefruit, and 'Green Juice" were available daily. The Green juice contained, cactus, broccoli (i think), and other veggies, and smelled just terrible, but was actually not bad tasting once you drank it. There was always an assortment of pastries, oatmeal, and cereals available, as well as other more exotic offerings. Every time we tried the cereal though, it was always stale. The Belgian waffles were very good, as were some of the potato dishes in the mornings. If you are a coffee drinker, they give you a Keurig-type machine in your room. I didn't try it, as I don't care for the coffee they produce. The coffee served in the cafe was very mild, and refills were virtually never offered. A couple mornings I walked into town near 5th avenue just to hit the Starbucks there for something closer to what I'm used to.

The lunch buffet at Cafe Del Mar usually included cold cut meats, a salad bar, and various beef, chicken, and fish dishes. A chef working a grill cooked burgers, fajitas, steaks, and more to order. More exotic dishes were also available, and I tried and like many of them, although less adventurous eaters may not. One of my daughters made a habit of just ordering buttered noodles for lunch & dinner, as there was nothing else suitable for her tastes.

Dinner at Cafe Del Mar was similar to lunch, We ate dinner at the Italian restaurant one night, to very mixed reviews. On the one hand, the food was excellent, With my steak one of the best I've had in a long time. One the other hand, the service was awful. Our party of 14 was split between to tables (understandable), but the kids got their food 15 minutes before most of the adults and 30 minutes before the last of us!

We ate dinner at Momo No Hana one night also. It's the Asian restaurant there. They have a normal menu with various Asian favorites, or a Teppanyaki table where they cook the food in front of you. Those need to be reserved, and I suggest you do it several days in advance. We reserved the Teppanyaki table. We were originally told the seating limit was 12, but when we got there, they were able to fit all 14 of us in. The service at this restaurant was excellent, as was the cook's show. Most of us got combinations with Filet Mignon and Chicken, or Filet and Shrimp. I tried the Filet and Salmon. We were given a soybean appetizer that was difficult to eat, literally. No matter how much I chewed it, I couldn't get it ground up enough to swallow!) The Miso soup was good, slightly fishy, which the kids didn't like. The fried rice was excellent, some of the best I've ever had. the adults were given drinks made of Sake, Ginger, and lemonade, which were so good most of us ordered additional rounds! The whole meal and experience was wonderful. The only downside (besides the soybeans) was that one of my daughters got very bad indigestion from the food, so I had to take her back to our room before we got to try the fried ice cream.

The pool was good, although I would have liked it if they had a section deeper than 3-4 feet, which they didn't. This must be a local thing, as one day we took a shuttle up to the Moon palace resort and their huge pool had the same limits. During the heat of the day, sometimes the water felt like a warm bath - not very refreshing.

The beach at Playacar Palace is good, but not great. The water was always greenish, and there is a distinct lack of sea shells on it. But it was pretty deep, up to 100 yards from the pool area at times. It was far, far better then the beach at Moon Palace, which has to be one of the worst I've ever seen. But it wasn't as nice as the Beach at Maroma Beach, where we went horseback riding. THose waters were pure turquoise and the sand looked clean and beautiful.

Bar service was generally very good. The only beer available was Doe Equis, in regular and Amber styles. I drank the amber most of the time. Cocktails were good, generally rum based.
My wife drank many Mojito's, which she enjoyed. My MIL and SIL drank lots of Pina Colada's, and several of us tried the Rum Punch and Planter's Punch drinks. The bartenders also made Shirley Temples and Strawberry Smoothies for the kids.

Location wise, the resort is the closest one to the dock and Ferry to Cozumel, literally 100 yards away. It's a short walk to 5th avenue for shopping, bars, and restaurants. The resort generally had one of the best exchange rates around when converting US dollars to Pesos.

There was a different show or activity nearly every night, sometimes in the pool area, sometimes in the lobby.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

I offer you my apologies abot the lack of towels I can assure you we are working very hard to fix it, and will be in just a few days.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I went here for my honeymoon. It was fantastic.

The quality of the service is what made this place so special. Examples: 1) My wife wanted to drink coconut juice straight from a coconut so a few of the staff climbed up and cut down a coconut for her and made it a drink. 2) Our menus were a little slow to arrive at the Asian restaurant so the waiter and manager (Angel and Luis) spent the night making it up to us - they gave us special sushi, specially prepared fresh caught fish, and a special dessert all of which were not available on the menu.

The food itself was worth the money - the Italian restaurant and Asian restaurants were both exceptional. The standard Mexican restaurant (buffet style) was also incredible. All the ingredients are fresh and expertly prepared and you can see the chefs making it in front of you. Room service food was also really tasty and came pretty quickly.

The room was great... Clean, hottub, blacony, big shower, and a great ocean view. I stayed in a partial ocean view which was nice and had a view of the beach and resort. We then upgraded to concierge room which was full ocean view and that was also nice.

Compared to other palace resorts, this one was supposedly more chill and quiet which is why I picked it ... It was exactly as I had hoped. In the evening, the beach was mostly empty with just a few scattered people. During the day it was never crowded but still had a lively atmosphere. My wife and I enjoyed several evening / sunset strolls and also in the morning, there is a beautiful sunrise over the ocean if you get up early enough.

We stayed 5 nighs so we could get The 1500 dollar resort credit. It has very limited usage though. You can only spend max 300 of it at the spa but that was enough for a joint 80 mins couples massage so we were ok with that. We had hoped to use the rest of the 1500 on various tours/activities but there are only certain ones that you can use the credit on and they only go on certain days (e.g. The chichen itza tour was only on Thursdays) ... So just make sure you call ahead of time to get the list of included tours and activities... also when you arrive, make sure you sit down with them and plan out your activities so you dont miss out in something you want to do. ... My wife and i did the dolphin swim, snorkeling and sting rays on Cozumel, and the chichen itza tour through palace resort... They were all great - clean buses, good guides, and fun activities.

We also wanted to do some fun jungle adventure stuff so we did the extreme Tulum tour with a company called aventuras Mayas - this included snorkeling in an underground lake, rapelling and zip-lining through the jungle, and a tour of the Tulum ruins, as well as lunch. For $109/person that was fantastic value for a one day trip and I would highly recommend it even though it wasn't included in the resort credit.

Overall it was an exceptional resort that offered us everything we wanted. The price was up there 3000 total for 5 nights and 6 nights... But honestly it was worth every penny and I'd definitely do it again.

Room Tip: Get a partial ocean view room... You can see the resort as well as the ocean but the rooms are setup...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tiojtraveling
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Deas Tiojtraveling

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us and other travelers your impressions at Playacar Palace. It was a great pleasure to be at your service.

I hope to be able to welcome you back at out home again.

Hockley, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We had just spent nine days at Moon Palace which was a massive resort and we thought we would spend 5 days at a smaller resort on the beach. Both properties have the same ownership so there were some similarities.
We are both in our sixties and we asked for a quiet room. When we arrived from our 30 minute drive from Moon Palace we were shown to our room which overlooked the pool and the loud speakers! A bingo session was in fall force so that was a bit of a disappointment. We asked to be moved and although that did not happen until the next day, the way they dealt with the request was marvellous. The new room overlooked the beach and another property. Fantastic view down the never ending beach . We could not have been more pleased. The room itself was very comfortable and although not as good as Moon Palace ,we were happy.

The beach was excellent and the drinks service was as good as you can get .

We were given 1500 dollars of credits which we could use in the spa,various trips or even golf. We did not bring our clubs with us and to play we would have to hire clubs and then be driven back to Moon Palace to play. As we played twice the week before we decided not to . We therefore hardly spent any of our credits.

The lobby bar was not air conditioned and ,whilst we were there ,not well attended. We felt it was not a pleasant place to have a drink before or after dinner. There was a sports bar which was air conditioned and we preferred to go there when it was open.

We ate at the Italian four of our five nights and must thank Jazz for making us feel so welcome.From time to time it was noisy but not as noisy as the Asian restaurant which we just could not use,but that may be an age thing.

The clientele of the Hotel was very much family orientated with groups of families ( mainly from USA)covering two or three generations very much being the norm. We spoke to a few guests and it would seem that people come back year after year and cannot speak to highly of the place. The family mix of guest was not our ideal (particularly in the restaurants) so we would probably not come back to this resort.We would however consider other Palace resorts if we came back to Mexico

The theme that went through both this resort and Moon Palace was the amazing quality of staff which is a great credit to "Palace"

Room Tip: Room 239 overlooks the bar and could be noisy. 546 overlooks beach and another property and is much...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
I want to thank you for your kind words on TRIPADVISOR. Was an honor to have you and your entire family at Playacar Palace, your warm home away from home.

Myself and all the Playacar Family members are waiting for your next visit, and you know you can contact me for questions or request for your next visit as you did it before.

Our best wishes to Hocley from Mexico

Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#18 of 23 in Akumal
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#44 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Playacar Palace? Share your experiences!