“nice relaxing stay”
Review of Playacar Palace

Playacar Palace
Ranked #26 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Just returned from a week stay and was totally relaxed . Christina , who met us after check-in was awesome. She handled all our excursions and saw to all of our needs all week. She even brought towels out to us when the towel service ran out by the pool. Food at Italian was good. Sushi bar was excellent while service inside Asian was only fair and at times everyone looked as though they had no clue as to what was going on but the food was good. Angel at pool bar gets my high five for great customer service also. Beach is great as well as location to places downtown. Will be back next year for sure as members!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Thank you for your review on TRIPADVISOR . All of us, including Angel and Christina, truly appreciate it.
We are happy you enjoy our restaurants, specially Momonohana, our Asian restaurant that was remodel a few months ago. Also our hew head chef from the Restaurant, has landed directly from asia after several years of experience in China, Japan, Thailand…

Please, feel free to contact me for your next visit, and I am at your disposal for any need

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We had eaten at the Playacar Palace when we had previously stayed at the Aventura Palace, so we were expecting good food. To say that the Italian restaurant was superb is in no way an implication that the other restaurants were not. The staff were fantastic - the barman in the Lobby bar asked me why he had seen me in the other bar, and when I told him it was because it served a beer he did not have, not only did he have it from then on, there was always a cold one waiting for me. Our Diamond concierge, Yvet, could not be faulted, nor could Elvira. We had our daughter and son-in-law with us, and their son, who is eighteen months old - what a time he had.

My only reason for not recommending this hotel is that I want to go back myself, and I would not want to be disappointed if it were fully booked because of my review.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Crapaud_9

Thank you Capraud_9 for that honest review on TRIPADVISOR .
Yvet has been part of the Playacar Family just for a few months, but a lot of guests are saying very good things about her. Also Elvira, who is an asset in our Hotel.

Thank you again and, feel free to contact me for your next visit, and I am at your disposal for any need

Reviewed June 23, 2013

I just returned from Playacar Palace and my wife and I loved it. We have stayed at Adventura and Hard Rock in Punta Cana but we wanted to try something new. They are all part of Palace Resorts but all three are a bit different. If you must have a beach than Playacar Palace is the one you want. I would also call it more intimate than the other two we visited. You can hang out poolside to be part of the crowd or go to the beach and relax. So I'll make this simple.

Food, Great ( Not Ruth Chris great but better than a cruise ship by far)

Nightly entertainment, Good, but the Fire Show is awesome and a must see

Poolside entertainment, Good and their acts are funny. My only complaint is they seem to take a siesta from 1:30-3pm and disappear. When in Rome I guess but continues entertainment would be nicer.

Pool Towels, How can you run out of towels at 2pm? Time to buy more towels.

Service, Awesome,

Spa, Awesome, they even had a birthday cake for me and sang me Happy Birthday after my service. That was really nice. So make sure you tell them about special day's.

Booze, It's odd that each bar has different types of booze, It's like that at every resort for some reason.

Rooms. all good, I'm allergic to feathers and house keeping was on the ball in switching out my pillows. Great job.

I judge my vacations by how sad I am having to leave. I'm pretty sad so yes I would recommend this resort and I'll return.

Room Tip: All rooms are great, Higher is better.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank wooster68
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear Wooster68

Thank you for your review on TRIPADVISOR. You can consider yourseld already member of the Playacar Family and we will feel honor to receive you again.

We really hope to see you back soon, and please, do not forget to write me in order to make all the arrangments

Reviewed June 21, 2013

We recently returned from a week at the Playacar Palace in Playa del Carmen. This was our first time staying at this Palace resort and we were not disappointed. Once again, as at every other Palace resort, the service was superb, the food wonderful and the beach amazing!! The location was great. We took advantage of the ferry right next door and went and visited the Cozumel Palace for a day. We wandered into town one day for some shopping and another day took the shuttle to the Moon Palace. The staff at this resort went out of their way to make sure we had a great week. We were there to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary, and took advantage of the romantic dinner on the beach. I would highly recommend this resort. It was made extra special by our concierge Arturo, Javier at the lobby bar and Francesco, our waiter at the VIP section at the Cozumel Palace.

1  Thank Esther493

Dear Esther 493

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us and other travelers your impressions at Playacar Palace.

Is an honor to receive guests who become family during their stay. Javier, Arturo and all the members from the Playacar Family truly appreciate it.

I hope to be able to welcome you back at out home again.

Playacar Palace G.M.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Beautiful resort, nice rooms (with an ocean view), excellent food options, and a great all-inclusive deal. I went here for a wedding in April of 2012 and had an amazing time with a group of about 30. The level of service was top-notch and the beach was beautiful! It's close (walking distance) to a lot of other things to do (shopping, dining, golf) and you can use resort credit to golf. The golf course is also all-inclusive while you play! To top it all off, the price is very reasonable so you don't have to go broke for an amazing experience. Highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank nycsundevil

Thank you very much for your review, and for taking the time to write your experience at Playacar Palace.

In fact, we are not a "party hotel", but we feel happy you enjoyed you stay with us

I hope to be able to welcome you back at your home again.

Playacar Palace G.M.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We first stayed at the Playacar Palace some five years ago and loved it; when I decided to end our June 2013 twentieth anniversary trip with two nights in Playa del Carmen, the Palace was high on my list. Honestly, after our two nights there in June, I'm torn about how to rate this hotel. Parts of our stay were absolutely lovely, while others left something greatly to be desired.

We booked through Travelocity and requested two double beds, as we were traveling with our two children (ages 12 and 14, one boy and one girl). Yes, it was our wedding anniversary. While we had booked two rooms at the hotel that kicked off our trip (Grand Riviera Princess platinum suites), we booked just one here because, frankly, the rates were too high to allow us to book two (it was already over $1000 USD for the two nights). We booked the highest room category available on Travelocity: the deluxe ocean view room (so a two category upgrade from the resort view or partial ocean view rooms, but not a concierge level or honeymoon suite room). From reading Travelocity's descriptions and those on the hotel website, I was under the strong impression that this guaranteed us a full ocean view with a balcony or patio. Unfortunately, when we checked in, this proved not to be true. Our first issue was that our request for two beds apparently did not make it from Travelocity to the hotel; I'd tried to reconfirm via email the week preceding our trip, but received no response from the hotel at all. Peter, the gentleman checking us in, claimed we'd been "upgraded" to a sand suite. I should have insisted on the room we'd booked at that point but, as we'd already been waiting three hours instead of the promised one for the room (although the beepers the Palace provides are fantastic--no need to stalk the desk!), I just went with it. This was a mistake. We were shown to a first floor room (107) that opened directly onto the main walkway that runs along the front of the hotel. There was no balcony or patio--just a shared bench with some cushions. Worse, the lock on the door didn't work and our door was immediately opposite the stairs up from the beach. This means that everyone coming up from the beach looked directly into our room. Plus, the pool was mere yards away, blasting happy, loud pool noise, and the hotel was in the process of setting up a rehearsal dinner and their bar was about fifteen feet from our door. While I can imagine that this room might be desirable for some people (perhaps if you have small children and need to be back and forth to the pool lots?), it was a nightmare for us. There was no privacy without pulling all of the curtains (and thus negating the ocean view for which we'd paid) and I had a fourteen year old daughter. The idea of trying to change in the bathroom and keeping the curtains closed for the next two days wasn't acceptable--so back to reception I went. Unfortunately, this time, Peter claimed I'd been given the room I booked and not an upgrade. He also said the resort was completely full and there was nothing he could do. He refused to get the manager. We then had a long conversation, with him emphasizing that we'd got the ocean view we paid for and me emphasizing that the view was arguably lovely… but there was zero privacy in the room and I did not feel safe with my kids and a broken door lock! Eventually, a new room (339) was found for us. Unfortunately, this room only had one bed (a king) and Peter could only give us one rollaway because all the others were in use so… we had to put our 12 year old son in the bed with us. Hardly romantic, although the view and the privacy were excellent. Plus, we were left sitting in our original room for two hours waiting for the hotel to transfer us. Ironically, although it was never mentioned to us, that new room might in fact have been an upgrade to the concierge level as it had the concierge room amenities mentioned on the Palace website.

This really started our trip on a sour note. After that, it was fantastic except for housekeeping (who seemed to like to take away all of our towels and replace none of them--fortunately, we were able to get replacement towels during the evening). The pool has a lovely vibe and the drinks and food service are outstanding there (Martha certainly took care of us!). We also had no problem getting shaded loungers whenever we needed them. If there's a towel game at this resort, it certainly didn't affect us.

We ate at both the Oriental and the Italian restaurants and loved them, although the Oriental won hands down. We ate at the regular (non-teppanyaki) table and they had a huge fusion menu, along with a fairly extensive selection of suishi. We had no problem getting seated right away. The Italian place also had an absolutely fantastic violinist and a slightly strange magician (I would have preferred to enjoy the violinist, but my husband was amused by the magician's spoon-bending trick). The breakfast buffet was also more than sufficient--they even had fresh doughnuts our first day, and some of the best waffles we've ever had. Definitely try the mango margaritas!

The beach was absolutely gorgeous and the location to Fifth Avenue certainly can't be beat. Would we return? Only if we could swing two connecting rooms. For a family of four with pre-teen/teenage children, the rooms are too small for comfort, plus, since the toilet and shower share a room, there are some logistical issues in getting ready. Next time, we'll look at the loft suites at the Cozumel Palace. It would be fantastic, however, if the Playacar Palace added some family suites to their offerings.

1  Thank amf1

Dear amf1

I want to thank you for your review and offer you my apologies if the room was not according to your expectations. The room given was a Sand Suite, the next category over a Full Ocean View. The direct access to the beach trough your balcony, or de sitting area outside of it are their main difference.

I feel happy to know you enjoy our restaurants and service, and It will be an honor for us to receive you back in a near future.

Our best wishes for you and your family from Mexico

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We recently spent a week at the Playacar Palace for a family vacation. After spending many days agonizing over which resort to choose, and reading many reviews we choose Playacar Palace. It was as expected, a very nice all inclusive resort. Here's the breakdown from our perspective:

The service is outstanding throughout the hotel. Whether front desk, pool bar, beach staff or restaurant. There was not one request that was not addressed with a smile and professionalism. These people make the hotel what it is, a warm, welcoming, and relaxing environment.

The credit system: The hotel issues credits you can use for day trips or upgrades. We found the trips offered limited and did not interest us. You can only spend $300 at the spa. This does not leave much to spend credit points on. We opt'd for a room upgrade, and although a room was offered to us, it did not have two beds. We should have requested room upgrade before arriving. We used some for upgraded bottles of wine, which was very nice. If you do upgrade and get to the concierge floor you have reserved beach chairs around both the bar and beach, highly recommended.

The pool/beach: Pool although not as large as other resorts was quite big enough and enjoyable to lounge around, swim up bar, good wait service and tasty little outside restaurant for burgers, pizza, nachos etc. The beach is nice & quiet. The waters pretty calm. No body surfing or snorkeling from this area. The beach is also right next to the ferry pier. Good and bad, when the ferries come in diesel fuel drifts thru the air, yet we walked over, jumped on the ferry and spent the day in Cozumel at the Palace's sister property. Snorkeled, ate & drank there for the afternoon(all inclusive). It was a great little day trip and very convenient. We rented Jet skis from the little shop next to the hotel. We also hired same company to take us on an afternoon snorkeling down the coast a bit ($45 pp). Worked out perfect for short afternoon excursions. There is also a Senior Frogs next door, good fun for a more lively time.

The rooms were fine. Clean & in good order. There was some painting in the hallways going on when we were there, so it seems the hotel keeping up with maintenance. We did not find anything in disrepair. The Spa worth visiting.

The Italian Restaurant was superb. They have two different menus they switch out, if you don't like one go back and try the other. Order a Mayan Coffee and watch the fire show! The Sushi was great, however the Teppanyaki grill was less then par. The food over cooked, lacked flavor and although different types of meat was ordered we all received the same. The Cafe, main buffet restaurant was above average buffet food.

Day trips: We paid for two tours. Rio Secrecto Natural Reserve, swimming thru caves. And Mayan Adventure Snorkeling Tour, where you go to three different locations to snorkel; cenote, open cave and then snorkel thru a lagoon to ocean reef. Both of these tours I HIGHLY recommend. The tour guides were educated & informative, it felt more like a national geographic tour then a tourist trap. Both offered lunch and got you back to your hotel mid-afternoon.

A few overall cons: The hotel needs more umbrellas. The weddings; although it can be lovely to watch a bride & groom married on the beach at sunset one of the wedding parties (there were 3 in the week we were there) arrived with 20 plus very loud and obnoxious guests. They overran the hotel with no regard for others. There was no getting away from them. Certainly not the hotel's fault but something to consider when planning day trips, which is what we did to get away from them.

We would go back. The location a plus. Maya Rivera is quite awesome, I'm not sure there is a bad place to stay just one that works best for you. We enjoyed that this was a "smaller" resort with a mostly quieter vibe. The Cozemul Palace was a younger crowd, hopping parting environment around the pool...very fun to visit for the day.

2  Thank caadam4
PlayacarPalaceGM, Director General at Playacar Palace, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

I want to thank you for your kind words on TRIPADVISOR. Was an honor to have you and your entire family at Playacar Palace, your warm home away from home.

Myself and all the Playacar Family members are waiting for your next visit, and you know you can contact me for questions or request for your next visit as you did it before.

Our best wishes for you and your family from Mexico