“Superb experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Detroit, Michigan
“Superb experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

I will start by saying that we are Palace members. We have been to the Moon Palace a couple of times with no issues.We could have stayed there again, but I wanted to take advantage of our member ship to stay at the Playacar Palace and visit the Cozumel Palace for a day trip. I was skepticaI that they could match the Moon palace, but I think that living in the shadow of the Moon makes these people try even harder. The service was exceptional. Altough the resort is a little older than some, they are coninually updating it. The japanese restaurant was shockingly good. I saw a review that someone had a bad experience with the sushi, but the hibachi grill was awesome. My kids loved the show, and the food was great. The rooms were as expected very clean, extra towels, bath accessories, etc were just a phone call away. Infact, any call to housekeeping was followed up with a call from the front desk to make sure we got what we asked for! Now that's service. As others said, the staff makes this place. They are great. Fabiolo took great care of us. The entertaiment staff made sure my kids (and me) never got bored, thanks Victor and Ceaser. (I'll be back for a ping-pong rematch next year). Great overall experience, will definitely be back.....So long Moon Palace. I would like to think that our membership somehow gave us an advantage, but everyone I saw was getting the same treatment. attached is a pic from our room.

Room Tip: Because resort is small, I don't believe there's a bad room in the place.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Bob P
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Mr. Bob P

Thank you for the time to write and porst your review on Trip advisor. Our main difference and goal is to know our guests by name and is even easier when we have kind and loyal members like you. We feel proud you enjoyed your service and remember that Playacar will always be your warm home away from home.

Please, feel free to contact me anytime at your next visit in order to make all the arrangements about your room and special details

Playacar Palace G.M.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,068)
  • Korean first
London, ON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

My wife and I have been staying at all inclusive resorts for the last 15 years and have used tripadvisor a lot over the past few years and I would have to say that the reviews on this place were pretty accurate. This resort is a little worn, much smaller than the one's we've been to in the past but seemed MUCH less congested than many other resorts despite>80% occupancy. We were pleasantly surprised with this little resort. The room we had was great. Lower level with a nice patio to the beach. The food was excellent for all-inclusive especially the Japanese and the Italian (which surprisingly did not require resos). As someone who works in an operating room I was especially impressed with the attention to cleanliness and proper food handling especially compared to many other caribbean resorts.

After reading a few of the reviews I was quite skeptical about being able to use the resort credits but we had no problem at all and used the resort credits for upgrades on wine and the spa with NO problems at all, not sure what some of the others experienced but we had no issues. One associated concern that we had was being hounded about timeshare and this did NOT happen even once, a big relief. The beach is great and you can walk for miles. No seaweed, just clear, gorgeous water. The resort is right next to town and the Cozumel ferry but this really didn't bother us but might not be for those that want that secluded feeling.

The staff get many accolades on tripadvisor and they DEFINITELY deserve it! In 15 trips to the carribean this was the best staff by far! They are incredibly friendly; they knew my name by the second day. They are almost always smiling and it feels like they enjoy being there and serving you. The beach service is non-stop as opposed to non-existent at many other places we have stayed. We had a problem with our AC and the repairmen were there in <15min and worked for an hour to get it running right and then even came back to check to make sure it was functioning properly! A problem with the safe was fixed within 10 min of the call

My wife took ill one evening and the guest relations manager Jorge arranged a doctor to come to the room within an hour as well as calling the next day to follow-up. Thanks Jorge and to your doctor!

Finally, what was probably most obvious is that the staff were a representation and extension of the seriousness, professionalism and work ethic that the GM David Rubio brings to the resort everyday. He was extremely visible and involved, omnipresent, friendly and extremely approachable. He would listen to ANY concerns you might have had and we even saw a couple of changes we mentioned implemented the same day! We were just so impressed with this individual and his genuine efforts to make this the best resort possible.

Thanks for everything Mr. Rubio, we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Room 101 is great. Angled, big and the patio opens to the beach. Book the spa when you get there as...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank rileyLondon_ON
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Mr. Riley,

All the Playacar Family truly appreciates your comments about our service, and I want to thank you for the time to write your review on Trip advisor. Jorge, I and all the people that make Playacar Palace possible, do our best day by day to create memories that last forever. I hope you enjoyed your moments and the SPA and remember that Playacar will always be your warm home away from home.

Please, feel free to contact me anytime at your next visit in order to make all the arrangements about your room and my best wishes to you and your wife to London

Bayonne, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Overall this resort was very good aside from one unpleasant experience. The location is beautiful and the rooms are nice and comfortable. The shining star for the resort are its employees! They are extremely friendly and very attentive. They go out of their way to serve and are very appreciative of the tips we left (I was amazed and disheartened to see so few people tip these young hard working men and women!). The food was very good in the buffet restaurant for breakfast and lunch and exceptionally delicious in the Italian Restaurant that served dinner. The Hostess and Head Waiter were very professional and the waiters were incredible (we greatly appreciated the exceptional service from Antonio; he never stopped to amaze us!). Overall we had a wonderful experience from dining in these two restaurants. The one downside was that we got sick eating Sushi in the Asian Restaurant (major GI problems for 2-3 days). If I had to guess it was the Tuna; hence we never ate there again. Despite this bad experience, we were quite pleased with our stay in Playacar Palace and will return one day. We also visited their sister resort, Cozumel Palace, which was very nice as well although much smaller. We also took a tour to Tulum that was great and a nice time in their Spa.

Room Tip: Ask for at least a partial ocean view. Might want to get a room away from the bars since they can ge...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HMW67
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
All the Playacar Family truly appreciates your comments about our service, and I want to thank you for the time to write your review on Trip advisor. Our main difference and goal is to know our guests by name and not by wrist band or room number. We feel proud you enjoyed your service and remember that Playacar will always be your warm home away from home.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

All of the staff are extremely attentive and friendly, and they make every effort to ensure that their guests have a wonderful stay and are taken care of. I want to acknowledge one particular example that i believe clearly exemplifies the 5 star customer service I experienced at the Playacar Palace. I had an unfortunate incident in that when I got home from my trip it was almost a week later when I realized I had left multiple articles of clothing in a drawer in the hotel room. I thought for sure I would never see them again, but Jorge Cosio at Playacar Palace was wonderful in working with me, and he and the staff were able to identify all of the clothing i had left behind and actually ship them back to me in the U.S. to my home address. I am extremely grateful to everyone there for being so kind as to make the time and effort to search for the clothing i left behind and then actually ship them back to me in the U.S. I truly believe they went above and beyond on this matter! Thank you!.

3 Thank Erica M

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

We totally empathise with Lacey L and sincerely hope that their deplorable situation will improve before the wedding!

My family of three couples (two in their early 30s and us in our early 60s) spent one week there recently and we were left exhausted and frustrated by its incompetent and suffocating bureaucracy. Forms, forms and yet more forms to be completed and transferred on-line for the least little service. The whole "resort credits plan" - together with still being charged taxes even when you book these "complimentary" services - exacerbates an already unwieldy system.

We all settled our bills on our final night to guarantee a smooth check-out prior to our long, overnight returns to England. Nevertheless, my son and daughter-in-law were presented with a $300 bill when they returned their key cards the following day and we were due to board our complimentary mini-bus to the Airport. Since we had kept records of all additional spending and this had been settled up the previous evening, we asked them to explain what the $300 was supposed to be for. Nobody could!

The Manager was eventually called to the scene and he informed us that, since it was a Saturday, it was not possible to access any details about this $300 charge until the Monday. His suggestion? That my son forked out $300, the matter would be looked into on the Monday and a refund would be made if the charge were found to be a mistake! No-one was prepared to comply with such a blatantly foolish idea when we knew it was the hotel's error.

Our fellow would-be passengers waiting on the mini-bus for their lifts to the Airport were becoming increasingly agitated. It may well have been this which eventually - after half an hour of haranguing - spurred the manager into apologising and conceding that it was most likely to be a computer error. This had happened before, apparently. Knowing that, why could he not have saved us all that distress at the end of our holiday?

We had spent our first week at the Moon Palace Grand and a fortnight at the Sun Palace in 2011 so we were optimistic about what we could expect at Playacar. We were to be disappointed.

On the plus sides, the food and staff in the Italian restaurant (especially the manager and Pedro) are top notch, as are the waiters and waitresses in the hotel and on the beach and the therapists in the Spa.

On the down side, the rooms are OK but average by Mexican standards; our balcony was cramped and its ocean side "view" almost totally blocked by a palm tree; lower level rooms around the pool bar were horrendously noisy at times: there were no where near enough much-needed parasols around the pool and on the beach to offer one for each room and the arrival, departure and computer systems are chaotic.

Room Tip: Avoid lower rooms and those around the pool bar.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PigsonTour2010
Berlin, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

In January was our first visit to Playacar Palace. The manager, David Rubio, was a "hands on" manager who made our stay extra special. All of the staff, service and food were better than we ever expected. Over the top service.
The beach there is one of the best we have seen in Mexico. We would recommend Playacar Palace and are looking forward to returning again.

1 Thank PatW01

Regina, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

I had a great time and Loved the staff at Playacar Palace! The food was great from the buffets to the Japanese restaurant and the staff and waiters where fabulous. There really wasnt anything I could have wanted for. The place was clean and the room was wonderful and kept very tidy. The staff was extremely friendly and were almost friends by the time we left. I would recommend Playacar palace to anyone going to Playa Del Carmen.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,821 reviews
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#30 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#9 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,049 reviews

Been to Playacar Palace? Share your experiences!