“Wedding and honeymoon - great place.”
Review of Playacar Palace

Playacar Palace
Ranked #27 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We booked our wedding and honeymoon at Playacar palace in June 2011, downloaded the TA app and spent the next year and a half reading reviews on the site! We used the TA app to help choose this hotel for our very special weddingmoon location as neither of us had ever been to Mexico before!

Playacar palace exceeded our expectations and we could not of chosen a more perfect place for our special event. The staff were excellent (too many to mention but we loved Perla at the pool service and David Rubio for helping us with upgrading our room and making our wedding dinner special) everyone of them, the rooms were beautiful, the location is fantastic, the hotel, the food .... we cannot say enough about how great it all was.

The wedding planners in miami before the event were great (contrary to other reviews), we had efficient, regular contact through email with them and Wilma when we got to resort was also great. The ceremony went very smoothly and Wilma ran things like clockwork, arranging things perfectly when we had to move the cocktail hour inside due to the torrential rain! (beautiful sun for the whole trip apart from the wedding day - come on palace resorts could you not of at least ordered us some sunshine!) There were a few minor things like a mix up with the witness arrival dates being acceptable and the wedding planning meeting too close to the wedding date, but nothing major and nothing which made a big difference. We chose to get married on the terrace as we wanted more privacy than the beach wedding location can provide and it was a great alternative with lovely views (it also helped us to shelter from the rain!) The photographer, meal, flowers, hair and make up (salon is fab, used lovely MAC make up), cake, staff were all excellent. We would HIGHLY RECOMMEND Playacar Palace for a wedding.

We had 15 guests also stay at the resort with varying ages coming from england, australia and america who all enjoyed the resort also. The staff were accommodating when people wanted to change rooms and they could not do enough to make sure that everyone was enjoying themselves. The oriental restaurant was under construction during our stay, but in the evening the resort halved the cafe del mar restaurant and it was just as good. It actually worked out better for us as we had our rehearsal dinner in the oriental restaurant but the staff were more than happy to let the kids get some food from the buffet as it was in the same room! the choice of food overall is excellent, the steak in the italian, the buffet choice, the sushi, mayan coffee, flambéed bananas etc . I loved getting a take away box from the restaurant and filling it with salad and pizza at lunch time so i could go out and eat it on my sun bed.

The beach is beautiful, when we made a trip over to cozumel palace (great as we could use all of their all inclusive stuff on our bands) we really missed it as they dont have a beach, but it is also a great hotel and worth a day trip as you can snorkel here. The location of the playacar palace hotel is great next to the ferry terminal and fifth avenue, but still so quiet. Make sure on your first day you meet with guest services and work out how to spend your resort credits we went to Chichenitza, Tulum, Dolphin swimming, had a romantic dinner on the beach, room upgrade to honeymoon suite,massages and used them for my bridal hair and make up.

Sadly we did get sick at the end of our trip but I have to say I dont think it was anything to do with the food or the resort I think we picked up a bug (my husband was sick 24 hours after me) which we could of picked up from anywhere. The staff are CONSTANTLY cleaning the resort (i saw someone brushing the stones around the trees by the pool one morning!) there are no concerns about the hotels hygiene. Yes we did have a few frayed towels and some of our sheets had marks on them but I would prefer that he hotel didn't just throw out perfectly good things due to a small imperfection as you could see that things were clean and that is more important.

The entertainment team at the hotel were great and we enjoyed a fab pool party one evening, casino night, mr and mrs game, Karaoke night, lazy games in the day and much more. Make sure you go to Cocobongos (nightclub in playa del carmen) it was a GREAT night, we had so much fun, worth getting the VIP tickets $125, ask at guest services to help with your tickets. Make sure that you TIP the staff, they work so hard, they really dont expect it but really do appreciate it.

This was the best resort that we could have wished to go to for our wedding and honey moon, we couldnt recommend it more. We are saving already to go back for our tenth anniversary with the whole group!!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank CockneyScouse
Write a ReviewReviews (4,628)

Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

It is our second trip to Playacar Palace and both have been spectacular! The people here make this truly a special place to stay.
There are changes taking place, like the revamping of the oriental restaurant but they offer the full menu in the buffet restaurant so you don't miss anything! There new spa area will be fully open soon but they are offering massages now and it was truly wonderful!
The staff like Mayra and Abigail looked after our every need and no one makes a better margarita in the Mayan than does Angel. The restaurant & bar staff are exceptional and Perla, Martha & Alma always make sure your glass is full!
Highly recommend this resort

• Stayed: November 2012
6  Thank Kevin S
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2012

Dear Kevin

Thank you on behalf of our entire team for the delicate comment you have posted on TripAdvisor. Perla, Mayra, Abihail and all the Playacar family is really please that you enjoy your stay with us

Al the Playacar Family is pleased that your visit has given you full satisfaction and hope to see you again in our beautiful hotel.

Please, contact me for your next stay with us to make all the arrangements of your travel.

Feliz Navidad y hasta Pronto!

Reviewed November 29, 2012

Amazing hotel. Staff were so friendly and got to know us well.Great entertainment and loved the buzz around the pool every day. Thanks to Rudolf in the restaurant who made us a special dessert the night we left!! The location was great and the service was top quality. We stayed in another hotel after this in Cancun but this was our favourite. The rooms were great.We had our own jacuzzi. The mini bar even had litres of spirits as well as your standard fridge. We had a garden room but it was still overlooking the beach. The buffet was incredible particularly for breakfast and lunch.Olivia made the best omelettes and poached eggs for us every day!! We loved the salsa dance and aqua aerobics too. The pool staff were brilliant. Hope to get back there some day. Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Littlestar_7

Dear Littlestar

Thank you for the delicate comment you have posted on TripAdvisor. We try to give a very familiar and personal service and we are very happy you feel that.

Feliz Navidad y hasta Pronto!

Reviewed November 27, 2012

Had never had an all-inclusive experience before- and it was magical. Stayed with 40 people for my sister's wedding and the service we received was top notch. Servers, waitresses, guest services and entertainment staff were phenomenal. Thank you to Juana and Alma for serving us on the beach with their awesome brightness, as well as Victor and Jose Antonio for their constant mention that 'it was their pleasure to take care of us'!

3  Thank jobuy
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Dear Jobuy

It was an honor to have you at Playacar Palace, all of us, including Juana, Alma and Jose Antonio were very honour to have you here.

Don’t forget to contact me like the last time to make all the arrangements for your stay

Hasta Pronto!

Reviewed November 27, 2012

Myself and about 40 more were at Playa Car Palace for my niece's wedding from November 18th to 25th 2012. The hotel was picked out of many by the couple because of its reputation and I must say that it really lived up to it.
It was great! The staff was fantastic, the hotel is great, extemely clean....and the beach is one of the best I have been to in QRoo area. Because of Cozumel Island maybe, the waves are not huge, swimming in the beautiful warm golf is easy. There are lots of chairs, lots of room to move around. Just absolutely wonderful. The younger ones...in their thirties..... could spend the evening and part of the night on the beach, talking and dreaming.
I must add that our beach servers, Alma and Juana were there all the time with their beautiful smiles and quick service. They were always ready to help us with anything we wanted!!!
The front desk attendants were always ready to help. I can remember some names, Andrea, Nancy, but there were others too. We never had to wait for anything. What a pleasure for all of us.
Will I return to Playacar Palace? Oh YES....I am working on it for early 2013.......
Thank you to the hotel staff for making our stay such a wonderful one!!!!

Room Tip: The only thing I can say is that although we had an absolutely stunning view being on the 4th floor...
4  Thank MoumanGrenouille

Dear MounmanGrenouille

Thank you very much for review and all the members of the Playacar Family really appreciate it. We know how important is a wedding for a family and we always so our best to create magical and unforgettable experiences. We try to keep a very familiar and intimate concept where our guest can be known be their names and no by their room or rest band number and I feel happy that you felt that experience.

We hope to see you soon and do not hesitate to write me for any questions or request for your next visit.

Hasta Pronto!!!!

Reviewed November 25, 2012

I had my wedding here in October. My whole family booked here at playacar palace as well. I can't say enough great things about this place!

Resort: Very clean! The resort is a little old but with a ton of character. I really liked the fact that it was not one of those huge resorts where you get lost in. We got upgraded to the honeymoon suite. Such an amazing room. Hot tub in the room amazing views of the ocean and resort. The people that work here are the most genuine people I have ever met! They clean your room twice a day. There is a safe in every room but I did not worry one bit that anything would go missing!! One night I forgot to close the safe and the hotel manager contacted me to make sure that it was open and they did not open it..

Food: The food was good. Lots of options to choose from. I ate everything in sight. I liked there Asian restaurant the best. They also have an Italian one. The buffet is open all day with lots of healthy options as well. They also have appetizers to choose from all day outside while you drink. The wood fire pizza is the best!! I never got sick at all!! I even brushed my teeth with the water And never had any problems or stomach issues.

Drinks: awesome! Love their Miami vise and strawberry daiquiri. My husband loves whiskey and had plenty of top shelf to choose from. We had drinks everyday we were there:)

Resort: we absolutely loved the location!!!! The cleanest beach by far!! Away from all the resorts. Very close to the fairy you can walk there and go to Cozumel for the day. You can also walk to the town of playa del Carmen. Very safe and fun with great food!! We also loved the fact that it wasn't crowded like all the other resorts.

Beach: AMAZING!!! White sand beach no rocks no trash very clean!!! This resort really takes good care of it. Doesn't smell. We walked about 3 to 4 miles down and by far our beach was the best. The other resorts don't take care if their beach and they also had a smell to it the farther you get away from ours. Great beach to have a wedding on!!!

Transportation: to and from airport was very pleasant! No stops, very safe, the driver even stopped and got us dos Equis to drink on our way to the resort. We also didn't pay for transportation the hotel provided it.

Wedding: we had our dream wedding here! They took care of everything! We got married on the beach. We had the pearl shimmer collection. So beautiful. Our weddings coordinator Wilma was great. My flowers were so beautiful. our photographer was phenomenal. They had food and champagne after we got married for our guest while we took pictures. We had our reception at the Italian restaurant after the wedding. Awesome food and our wedding cake was very yummy! Get the strawberry cake! We emailed back in forth for about 4 months before we arrived to make sure everything went perfect. They are very organized when it comes to weddings. They really know there stuff!! You will have no issues getting married here! I really looked into all the resorts and this one is by far the BEST place to get married at! You won't be sorry!!

The only reason why I gave it a four star and not five was because when we first chose this resort to book our wedding here they didn't tell us that the weekend we chose to get married was pretty much at full capacity. Our whole wedding party had to scramble and hurry up and book here or all the rooms would be gone. So make sure when you are booking a wedding here and you have a lot of guest that are traveling and need rooms make sure you have plenty of time and are flexible on dates so you can take your time with booking. That was the only problem we had. I suggest all your guest stay here if your getting married here because they will have to pay a fee to go to the resort for one day I think it's $100. And they also won't be able to participate in all the wedding activities so its much nicer and easier if they all stay at the resort. It's a little bit more expensive then the other resorts but so worth it!!!

We can't wait to go back here! First vacation where I really didn't want to go home! This is paradise!!!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Natasha K
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear Natasha

Congratulations, and thank you very much for review. We know how important the wedding days are for a couple and we make our best to create unforgettable moments.I feel happy you enjoy them with your entire group.

Congratulations for you and for your husband, have a happy and long life together and please feel free to contact me to create and amazing experience for your first anniversary.

Hasta Pronto

Reviewed November 25, 2012

We just returned and had an amazing trip to the Playacar Palace! If you are looking for a quiet, peaceful location that has wonderful food, a great staff, is close to shopping and the ferry to Cozemel, then stay here! Every room has a view of the ocean with sliding glass doors. We usually had coffee delivered every morning and sat on our patio listening to the waves while we watched the sun rise. The beach is great for walking and finding shells, as well as swimming. Although they have a kids club, it is a little small. My girls (11 & 10) did not want to participate in any of the activities there, but Aline from the "entertainment staff" soon had them playing volleyball, bocci ball, and soccer. She was wonderful!!!! There were just two glitches: although we loved watching all of the weddings (at least 1 a day), one went fairly late at late and the resort set up a dance floor outside of our room - it was loud and not how we wanted to end the day. 2: the dolphin swim was part of our resort credit - ask for the upgrade as we did not have the package with the "foot push" - we just assumed that was part of every dolphin swim. We found the resort to be very clean, the staff to be exceptionally helpful to meet any request, and it was incredibly relaxing. If you go, ask for the Mayan Coffee after dinner - you will not be disappointed!

1  Thank Silvana S

Dear Silvana

Thank you very much for review.

We hope to see you soon and do not hesitate to wirte me for any questions or request for your next visit.

Hasta Pronto