“Another return visitor”
Review of Playacar Palace

Playacar Palace
Ranked #27 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stopped at Playacar Palace two years ago and enjoyed it so much we returned for our honeymoon. The staff and the service were as good as we remembered, we cant remember everyone's name but a special thank you to Nora, Juana, Israel, Sergio, Jose, Gilbert and Perla. Whilst we didnt really get involved in the entertainment the team were really friendly and always stopped to ask how we were. What amazes me is how everyone remembers your name and what you drink and Juana even recognised us from two years ago! The hotel was full but it never felt overcrowded. We had some friends visit us twice from another Palace hotel and each time the staff made it special for us with the chef cooking us a 'special' main course for dinner one night (thank you). We struggled to spend our in resort credits probably because we werent too interested in any of the trips. I bought a pack of the Natura Bisse beauty creams and was so impressed I tried to use my credits up by purchasing 3 more, unfortunately the hotel had run out (as they had the tequila package) - so dont, as we did, leave it to nearly the end of your holiday to spend your credits. We had a conciege room which was beautiful and the maids keep them immaculate. We walked the beach every morning at 0630 and it was hot and sunny. Any downsides? For us it was the noise from the weddings - one disco went on until 0200hrs which I think is unusual because most seem to stop at midnight which seems a reasonable time to me. The first night we arrived, after a journey lasting 22 hours, we were woken at about 0200hrs by wedding guests screaming, laughing and shouting in the corridor (this was why we upgraded to conciege) followed by another guest banging on his bedroom door shouting to be let in at 0300hrs. Another night it was guests carrying on their party by the pool after midnight. Would this stop us going back? Probably not and I suspect most hotels in the area cater for weddings. We did wonder about trying one of the larger hotels if we return to Mexico but talking to the people who have tried both most seemed to think Playacar Palace is more friendly and personal. Oh I nearly forgot! - I drink gin and diet tonic but the hotel doesnt stock diet tonic. Juana said they would arrange to buy some for me which they did, even putting some in the room fridge - how brilliant is that?

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JJandJJC
Write a ReviewReviews (4,638)

Reviewed November 21, 2012

My first visit to Mexico with family members starting on 2nd November was fantastic. A small glitch over room allocation was overcome the next day but from then on "sunshine all the way". The location of the hotel is superb, right on a marvellous beach but the holiday was made perfect by the wonderful staff! First to welcome us was Cesar Catalina, Victor Aine etc. the entertainment staff who everyday remembered our names and greeted us with a big smile! Our wonderful pool waitress Perla made sure we had everything we needed. Not to mention others within the hotel itself, Berenice, Claudia, Johanne and our own table waiter Soltero! Finally on this subject, the most helpful Security Man who helped us early every morning with our pool umbrella who I believe was named Jose Miguel - Thank you for my gift to remind me of this holiday. Such attention to detail by everyone who was delighted that we were staying there. The weather was perfect, the food - such a selection. Only downside was the upgrading of one restaurant but the menu for this was catered for within the Buffet restaurant - and the wedding receptions that were held on the terrace and beach that went on until the early hours. Apart from that, thank you all for a wonderful Birthday Holiday! Thanks - "The Dancing Queen".

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Marion D
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear Marion D

Thank you very much for review. Cesar, Victor, Catalina, Berenice, Claudia…and the Playacar Family really appreciate it. As you mentioned, we try to keep a very familiar and intimate concept where our guest can be known be their names and no by their room or rest band number and I feel happy that you felt that experience.

We hope to see you soon and do not hesitate to write me for any questions or request for your next visit.

Hasta Pronto!!!!

Reviewed November 20, 2012

We came back to the Playacar Palace on a couples trip this year. Our first trip to this location was for our 1st Anniversary celebration in May 2011. Again, it did not disappoint. We love the location of the resort- close to shopping, Cozumel pier, great beach access and the list goes on. Rooms are very well decorated, beds are super comfy, and the jacuzzi tub is wonderful! The personal service you receive at the Palace resorts is second to none! All of the staff are friendly and courteous. We've stayed at several of the other Palace resorts and this is our favorite. It's big enough to offer all of the services of the other resorts, yet small enough to not overwhelm you. We will be back.
If you stay here take a day trip over to Cozumel Palace and use their facilities...great for diving and snorkeling and a great pool atmosphere too. That's another plus of the Palace resorts is you have access to any of their facilities- including food and drink.

Room Tip: Use your resort credits to upgrade your room...otherwise it's sometimes hard to use them all up...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2012

Thank you on behalf of our entire team for the delicate comment you have posted on TripAdvisor.

Al the Playacar Family is pleased that your visit has given you full satisfaction and hope to see you again in our beautiful hotel. All the members of Playacar family send you their best wishes.

Please, contact me for your next stay with us to make all the arrangements of your travel

D.Rubio

Reviewed November 16, 2012

We were at Playacar Palace from Oct. 29 - Nov. 2, 2012. As a travel professional, I have been to many resorts, but Playacar is my favorite.

The staff is incredible, the room was great and the food was excelente! The resort is smaller which makes it more intimate and personal. Location is great!

Front Desk:
Love the different check-in style. They do not have a stuffy counter to check-in at. They have large desks and you sit down with them. Julio Cesar was great, getting us into a room which was ready, since we arrived 2 hours before check-in. In fact, Julio Cesar even remembered who we were when we checked out, didn't have to ask our name....great service!

Room:
We had a partial oceanview king. Room was big, double jacuzzi was nice and loved the shower. (For those of you with thick hair, the water pressure is excellent!) The bed was very comfortable, as were the pillows. Room was cleaned everyday and we had turn down service nightly. In-room Liquor Dispensor, Mini-bar and free wi-fi throughout the resort, who can complain!

Room Service: Quick, good food. Arrived hot and fast!

Cafe Del Mar Buffet - we had breakfast and lunch here. The food was fresh and very good. There were different lunch and dinner themes daily, and I particularly loved Sushi Lunch day! Never had to wait long to be seated.

La Terraza - Italian A la Carte restaurant, no reservations required. Once again, the food was excellent and the service was superb...sorry I don't remember our waiters name, but he was really good.

Mo Mo No Hana - Asian A la Carte restaurant, no reservations required. The food was amazing! We can't say enough about it. The service was great, the host was very helpful and always checked on how our dishes were. We loved the food, our server and the deep fried ice cream!

Aqua Bar - Pool Bar, Grill & Swim Up Bar. I fell in love with Gerardo our first night, at least that is what he told me the next day! Margarita's were my choice and I prefer them a certain way. After only one time explaining, I never had to again! Thanks Gerardo and all the other bartenders who took care of us. I forget our Pizza maker's name, but the thin crust pizza was great for a late evening snack. The servers at the pool were very attentive and once again, exceptional service. Juana, took care of us everyday and taught us some Spanish. She made us feel so welcomed, we can't thank her enough.

Luna Lounge: We went to the Luna Lounge for the Halloween Party (which I won a prize at!). Here we met Alcides (bartender), Claudia (server) and Jair (chef). Alcides is hysterical and keeps you laughing. Claudia became my close friend instantly, miss you girl! Jair's appetizers were excellent and so creative for Halloween. We had so much fun with everyone.

Beach: The beach is beautiful and very wide at the Playacar Palace. The water is great. You can walk very far down the beach, however, it does narrow at some points. We also walked around the homes and rental properties. It was a wonderful site seeing experience. Felt safe the entire time, even though we thought we were lost a few times!

Location: You couldn't ask for a better location. Steps from 5th Avenue, restaurants, bars and night clubs. The ferry to Cozumel is also steps away. It was great not being confined to a resort and we met some very nice people downtown. The store employees and tour operators all want you to stop and talk or buy something, but this is the same at any tourist location in the world. We just smiled and kept walking. Once again, felt safe the whole time.

I have saved the best for last *****THE ENTERTAINMENT STAFF***** Damaris, Catalina, Cesar and Roman. These wonderful people truly made our experience unforgettable. We never joined in activities on previous vacations, but we couldn't help ourselves this time. We wanted to participate in everything, because this crew made you feel like a friend and part of the family. Heck my husband even played Ping Pong....I didn't even know he knew how! We did not bring Halloween costumes, but that didn't stop this great team from helping us out. I dressed as Juana from the Aqua Bar, it was so much fun, even some of the staff thought I was a new employee. Damaris, Catalina, Cesar and Roman go above and beyond to make sure you have fun and were included in everything. I miss them!

And lastly, David Rubio, we would like to thank you. You have an excellent staff at the Playacar Palace, which is a direct reflection of your management. I just figured out today, you were at the desk next to us when we checked out. Didn't you offer me a job? LOL

We hope to be back soon!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank FrantasticVacations
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Dear Frantastic Vacations

Thank you very much for review, Me, Damaris, Ramon, Catalina, Julio, Gerardo, Jair, Alcides…and to make it short and all the Playacar Family really appreciate it. As you mentioned, we try to keep a very familiar and intimate concept where our guest can be known be their names and no by their room or rest band number and I feel happy that you felt that experience.

All the staff has great memories of you, and by the way, the offer of your job is still on the table, you will be our best and more international ”Waiters”!!!
Hasta Pronto!!!!

Reviewed November 16, 2012

We wern't supposed to stay here, but I was looking for an upgrade, and I wanted "the best" as I was intending on proposing to my girlfriend while on vacation on Mexico. Trip advisor shows it near the top when it comes to all-inclusive. I couldnt have chosen a better hotel. Every room has a jacuzzi! The room has a mini fridge with sodas, beer, juice and water, and you are provided vodka, tequila, and rum in the room. Room service is provided, which we took advantage of, and EVERYONE on the beach was so courteous and quick in bringing drinks to us. We made sure to always tip them, but they didnt hang around like they expected a tip. Once, we ran down to the water and left a tip for her under our empty glass, she took the glass but still left the tip :( I made sure she got it though. Anyway, the whole place is very clean, and we got "Resort Credits" to spend. We used them to swim with the dolphins, a spa trip, and on our last night, dinner on the beach.

I dont think I could ever go to PDC and not stay at Playacar Palace. I have been spoiled!

Room Tip: They are doing construction around the hotel, and while we were literally right outside of the const...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Mark984
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2012

Dear Mark984

I would like to thank you for selecting Playacar Palace as your destination on your most recent vacation to Mexico.

The Playacar Family appreciate your comments and the time to write it..

We are looking forward to welcome you back at Playacar Palace, and don't forget to write me before your arrival to make all the arrangements

Reviewed November 15, 2012

I spent four nights at this resort (Nov 5th-9) and had a wonderful time! This resort is small, so it is great for a romantic getaway, and is just a short walk from Playa Del Carmen / 5th Ave if you want to go out for the night to party.

The room was amazing. Huge, double jacuzzi in the room was an awesome addition, liquor dispenser, modern decor and comfy bed. Can you really ask for more!?

The Staff here really "wowed" me - always a friendly hello in the hallway, amazing service at the beach. As soon as I am done a drink, they are right there to put another in your hand!

The food was awesome. You certainly will not go hungry.

A True 5 Star.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank CanadianGal12345
PlayacarPalaceGM, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Al the Playacar Family is pleased that your visit has given you full satisfaction and hope to see you again in our beautiful hotel. All the members of Playacar Fernando, send you their best wishes.

D.Rubio

Reviewed November 15, 2012

My stepson and his beautiful bride were married at this resort on Friday, November 9, 2012. The wedding was beautiful, the staff was exceptional and the service amazing. We had an fabulous time until the moment we left the resort. Although we only ate and drank on the resort property, 35 of the 37 of us became violently ill at the conclusion of the trip. Some of us were wheelchaired off of the airplane, several missed days from work, and several of us have been to the doctor for fecal cultures. While we only drank bottled water, we believe perhaps there was a problem with the filtration system that provides the ice. We have yet to receive an adequate response from this resort about the cause of the problem. My satisfaction with the resort has turned to dissatisfaction given the final experience.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank Nancy S

Dear Nancy

Thank you for taking the time to write and post your review on TripAdvisor.

I am sorry to read that you have had a bad impression during your stay with us about our professionalism.

During the last eight years Playacar Palace has been recognized as a hygienically and sanitary safe hotel for the board of tourism with none penalties. From your report we checked all the processes, including the ice and the water, that we have been working with for the last years and all the results were negative.

The training of our is a very important part of days, and all our food and beverage staff is certificated by the state government

Happily, the most of our guest who visit Playacar applaud our methods, quality and our care for the guest

I thank you and the other members of your group that have written reviews on TRIPADVISOR the last days, and I offer you and apologize for not be able be at the level of your expectation

I wish you luck in your future travels and do not hesitate to contact me personally for further remarks or questions.