“Great family holiday and wedding” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Playacar Palace

Playacar Palace
Ranked #17 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Noosaville, Australia
“Great family holiday and wedding”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

We stayed a week and had my son's wedding there. The staff were fantastic, especially Blanca at the bar and Patricia and Isreal in the restaurant, but they were all friendly, polite and helpful at all times. Our room looked out to the ocean, and had everything we wanted, including a spa bath. The only downside was on the last night when we needed to get an early night and get up very early the next morning to catch a flight. There was a wedding that night and it was on the beach directly in front of our room. The music was very loud and it went on all night, so that when the alarm went off at 3:30am, we had had no sleep at all, the music was still going and we were completely unrested. We had a long journey and 4 flights ahead of us, so it was not a good end to what was otherwise a fabulous holiday all round. The resort credits went mostly unused as there were not enough things to use them on. If I stayed again I would use them to upgrade the room from the start of the stay. We tried to upgrade a few days into our stay, but there were no rooms available. We loved swimming with the dolphins, despite initial reservations about their environment and conditions, and were very impressed at the dedication of their trainers and the standard of the facility. The spa was nice but it always took so long to make the bookings, that in the end I couldn't be bothered sitting through another session at the reservation desk, so didn't use all those credits either. I recommend you decide everything you want to use the credits for and book all the spa visits and trips in one hit to avoid wasting too much time doing it. Overall the food was pretty good and there is enough variety to allow you to eat different foods every day. Some of our party did get stomach upsets though, but that is par for the course when you are in countries like that, and most of us were fine, apart from headaches and hangovers from too much alcohol and not enough sleep because we were having too much fun to go to bed!! All in all a very enjoyable stay - just try not to stay in a room where there is going to be a wedding held right outside it, or take good earplugs to muffle the noise. My son's wedding ended at 10am, and I had thought that was the norm, but obviously not. I think the resort should not allow such loud music to be played all night.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
PlayacarPalaceGM, Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear ALassiter

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review on TripAdvisor.com

It was a true pleasure to be part of such an important moment of your life like your son's wedding. Patricia, Blanca and all the Playacar Family send you their best wishes.

We all hope to see you again soon.

Hasta Pronto

D.Rubio
drubio@palaceresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,068)
  • Korean first
Andover, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We spent 8 days from September 12-20, 2012 with my business partner and his wife. The Luna lounge provided a perfect spot for our meetings each morning. We selected this quiet spot for our meetings because of the table being out of the normal traffic zones during the morning. We did not expect any of the service staff to acknowledge us because this is mostly an evening venue. However, we had multiple people come by and ask us if we needed anything to drink or eat numerous times. Managers and wait staff alike acknowledged us each morning and were very willing to help us in any way possible.
As a member, my wife and I have been to multiple locations of the Palace Resorts and by far Playacar Palace has the most incredible service culture of all of them. This should be the model for all other locations. We wrote down the names of so many people when typically it is just a handful that we notice that go beyond what you would expect.
From arriving and being greeted by Jesus (bellboy) and checked in by Cristina (guest services) to the end where Alfredo (manager) and Ivan (public relations took time to say goodbye and thankyou, all of the following people made our trip very nice.
Luis, Alejandro, Alfredo, Veronica, Claudia, Josefina (servers at the pool and buffet)
Jorge, Jair, Djon, Gaspar, Angel (bar tenders always happy to help)
Roger and Jazz (italian servers were extremely helpful)
Javier, Cesario, Raul (servers in the oriental restaurant)
Patricia is the hostess at the buffet in the morning and evening. She alwasy greets with a smile and quick to remember your name.
These are specific names we remember, but the entire staff is to be commended on their "service attitude".
We enjoyed our rooms, spa, beach, and pool very much. I was glad to see that they are doing some constuction and maintenance work to keep the place looking and functioning great. We did not find this to be intrusive at all. We also enjoyed the festive event to celebrate Mexican Independance where the set up staff worked very long hours to erect a flag pole from the pool bottom and set up games and tables for all to enjoy the food and show. Great job to the grounds staff.
The entertainments staff was always mixing around or entertaining somebody Ramon and Tania are the two names I remember, but all four of them worked very well together.
Our rooms were always clean conveniently and turn down worked according to our schedules. The maid staff did a fantastic job leaving animals made from towels and other gestures in the room to show they cared.
I really have little to complain about after being a member for 3 years and visting several locations. The only thing I would ask is that the maid staff consider how well they can be heard in the mornings when getting their carts gathered up. There was one morning where they were quite loud talking and laughing. While it did not upset us I can imagine this would have been intrusive to some guests. We were in room 331 at the time.
We never walked to 5th Ave, but it is very close and probably fun for those interested. We did take the ferry over to Cozumel and visited the Palace while there which we enjoyed.
We will definately be back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Todd C
PlayacarPalaceGM, Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Mr. Todd

Thank you on behalf of our entire team for the delicate comment you have posted on TripAdvisor.

Al the Playacar Family is pleased that your visit has given you full satisfaction and hope to see you again in our beautiful hotel.

Hasta Pronto

D.Rubio
drubio@palaceresorts.com
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

This review is way over due! My wife and I actually spent our honeymoon on this resort on September 2010 (I know is way back, but I had to give this hotel it's credit). The resort, more like a big hotel, is beautiful. It's located very centrally, next to pier and short walk to 5th avenue in Playa del Carmen.

What stood out the most, was the service. From the moment we walked in, we were treated like royalty. We were honeymooners so we received extra attention and nifty little things in our suite and in our stay. The service though, was simply the best service I've had in any hotel stay in my life. I would go back simply for this.

We got a room/suite on the top floors overlooking the magnificent beach of Playa del Carmen. Our room had a jacuzzi and was very spacious. We felt the decor of the room was just a tad out of date but overall it was a great room. It had a small balcony where you can walk out and admire the beauty of the beach and hotel property. Bed was so comfortable.

The resort itself is very big, with various pools and 3 restaurants. There are a lot of lounge chairs by the pool and since the hotel was at minimal capacity, it seemed we had the hotel for ourselves.

The restaurants, oh the restaurants! Simply the best meals I've had in Playa del Carmen. I've been there 2 times already and the meals are very tasty. Every day we went to the Italian restaurant for meals and everyday we came out with smiles. The service at the restaurants is amazing. Various nights we had mayan coffees made at our table as well as desserts. The plates looked spectacular.

One night we had a special dinner table just for us and that was such a special treat (part of the honeymoon package).

We got the $1,500 credit to our room, so we chose various packages for free, such as the Tulum excursion, swimming with the dolphins, a photograph package, spa treatments for both, special beach dinner, special (mega) breakfast at our room and various other nifty treats just for being honeymooners.

Overall, we were sad to leave this resort. We had such a great time and we are planning next year to come back and re-live our experience. We loved this resort and Playa del Carmen.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms overlooking the beach are awesome!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank W0rldViajero
Hampton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

The second week of this years trek brought me to Playacar Palace, Playa del Carmen, Mexico. There are three really great things about this resort: next to the ferry dock, the staff is amazing and the view of the ocean across from Cosumel was spectacular. Now for the bad, the regular rooms are small and out dated; needed more closet space and could ditch the spa tub, at least for me. Typical balcony, about 18" too narrow but the view at night almost negates that fact. Bed was firm but acceptable, everything was always clean. Had to ask for turn down service even though we had VIP bracelets and it was supposed to be included. The spa facilities are offsite – they are working on building one on premises.

Room Tip: make sure you have an ocen view room on the top floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Gus D
Tampa, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

I have to admit this was my first time at an all-inclusive resort and I made the best choice with the Playacar Palace. Location is perfect, the resort is clean, rooms are big and the staff is excellent. They catered to our every need and were friendly and helpful. At poolside both Juanita and Claudia shined as they did everything to make us feel welcome and comfortable. Javier and Alfredo in the Italian restaurant were pleasant and the the Mayan coffee (with a little fire show) was great. Food is good, but don't expect 5 stars as they do their best to provide a full selection to meet everyone's appetite. The only thing I would change is for the resort to build a kids pool separate from the main pool. In addition, we felt extremely safe in the resort area of Playa Del Carmen. Would I good back, ABSOLUTELY!

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the front of the resort are quieter.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rhonda S
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

Just returned from our third trip to playacar palace our second in 3 months for 9 days. This trip was the best of all , with a new General Manager Dave Rubio taking over, many changes have taken place in just 2 short months. Service in all areas has improved , the management staff has become much more visible an involved with guests. A special thanks to the management staff of Fernando,Luis,Mateo,jazz,executive chef Massimiliano, and Sergio for treating my wife and I like family.A new food menu has been introduced in the Lunar bar that is excellente,my wife and I tried everything on the menu and no complaints.Dion and Perla will be more than happy to serve your every need.

The Italian resturant was its usual best and they now stick to the dress code of collared shirts and slacks for men to make the dining experience is a classier one.Hostess Samantha and manager Jazz will make sure everything is perfect they are the best at what they do serving you.Need or want something special just ask they will do what they can to get it done for you.

The entertainment staff has completely changed consisting of Ramon,Catalina,Cesar, and Tanya they are excellent at keeping you busy all day if you wish , or just have a friendly conversation with them no pressure. Play volleyball, bocce, aerobics in the pool, water pollo, bingo ,and fun pool games, it's all up to you.At night they turn it up a notch and make for a fun evening', or just take a walk to 5th ave and enjoy the excitement there. I commend you all for the great job you do and thank you for making my trip the best.

A new brick pizza oven has been introduced at the pool bar,it is a great addition to the bar for a afternoon snack of fresh baked pizza.
The spa that is being built on site will be opening in the middle of November and will be a much welcomed addition to the resort being able to stay on location for your spa needs.

The Asian resturant is being completed remodeled and will add Japanese style dining or just order off the menu it should be a very fun and interesting experience looking forward to that on our next visit in December. Thank You Raul for the great service and attention you gave us while making our dining special each night we were there.

At the pool bar Angle and Jorge will make sure your drinks are full all day, there service is second to none. Thank You guys.
Breakfast and lunch were excellent with a lot of variety to choose from,Sergio,Erika, and Israel, keep up the great job you do it was my pleasure spending the week with you all.

The beach is one of the best or the best around, beautiful powdered sand and the ocean is a fantastic aqua blue.There are plenty of chairs and umbrellas on the beach and if not ,don't be afraid to ask it will be there pleasure to serve you because that's what they do. Tipping is also a nice way to say thank you, because we all need a little appreciation once in awhile.

With everything being said I highly recommend this resort to anyone, like anything else it's all what you make of it.Thank You once again to everyone and my wife and I will see you all in December reservations already made.

because we all need to be appreciated once in awhile.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Steven B
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

We got married at the Playacar Palace for our Destination Wedding. It was easy to plan with Wilma via email and a good experience. Of course it being a Destination Wedding, nothing always turns out the way it should. I would say, only 70% was the way that I wanted it to be. That is disappointing but... what can you do? Also, it rained on our wedding day (off and on) and so the ceremony had to be inside on the 5th floor instead on the North Solarium was would have been AMAZING! I was sooooooooooooooooooooooooo sad, I almost cried. :( It was not as beautiful as I wanted it to be. I worked soooooooooooo hard with the decorations etc... it was a true bummer! But again, I guess that is what you get when you have a beach wedding... mother nature is a MEAN WOMAN!

*Everything else was AMAZING!!! The Service, the employees, the room service (free bottles of champagne when you call room service and request it) you get that NO WHERE ELSE. My husband and I been to other resorts in Mexico and they did not do that, you were not even allowed to walk around with a bottle of anything unless you bough it yourself, everything there was poured in glasses. Any who, we ordered a bottle of champagne almost every night to toast in the Jacuzzi. It was great! Towels service would also come right away.

*The spa was great, we used our resort credit (be aware you do have to pay 11% tax on all resort credit activities), but 11% was worth it for us! :)

*At the buffet they will also give you a TO GO BOX if you ask them to and you can take the food anywhere you like and eat it = AWESOME!!!

*Also, one night my husband and I went to the Italian Restaurant and I just did not feel well. We told the waiter that I do not feel well and I want to just cancel my food, but he said "No way!" and that we will have the food delivered to our room. :) Now, that is service! I was so impressed! We went upstairs, I got comfortable and the food came shortly after.

*The room: Clean, nice, we had a espresso machine on our Governor Suite, two TV's, big living area. Just awesome! (Room 410)

*The pool was lots of fun. Great way to meet other people and get tipsy! :)

*Luna Lounge was also OK, wish they had more activities at this resort but I guess they are lacking in that because the hotel is smacked right in the middle of downtown and people go there for fun. The bartender in the Luna is AWESOME! FUN!

*The beach was also just the best. They bring food, drinks and ice cold bottle waters right to you and they are always around. You are never looking for them... I really, really, really enjoyed that. :) I was never thirsty (or hungry) at the beach, which was hot!

Overall ... I would go there again! :)

Room Tip: We got room 410 (Governor Suite) for our wedding for 2 weeks and it was amazing. Awesome view, aweso...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank babri2010
PlayacarPalaceGM, Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Dear LondonSimon

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and thank you for your choose us for such an special moment of your life.

We are really glad you enjoyed our home and please, feel free to contact me for your first aniversary.

Congratulations and hasta pronto

Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#2 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,821 reviews
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#30 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#9 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,049 reviews

Been to Playacar Palace? Share your experiences!