“Perfect Anniversary Trip”

Iberostar Quetzal Playacar
Ranked #43 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 18, 2014

My husband and I traveled May 24-31st to celebrate our anniversary. We stayed here on our honeymoon a few years ago, and decided to try it again after reading several other reviews for different resorts. We couldn't have been happier with our decision. Upon arriving, we were greeted from the bellman who took our bags and escorted us to the check in desk. The lady was fast, very friendly and accommodated all of our requests.

Our room 2226 was very clean, and seemed to have been recently updated with new paint, bedding, and furniture. It did get a bit warm at night, but with the ceiling fan on we slept great. On our balcony we could see the water in the distance which was so nice. However, it did back up to the next resort, so at night if it was really quiet in our room we could hear the other entertainment. It never bothered us or kept us awake.

The food was decent. It wasn't the best food I have ever eaten, however, everything was fine. The buffet had a variety of foods to choose from, and if you didn't like something you could get something different. We dined at every specialty restaurant. We did not care for the tropical restaurant at all. We felt the food was very overcooked, and didn't have much flavor. The Italian restaurant was nice and the food was decent. I had a pasta dish with seafood, and it didn't do much for me, however, my husband had another dish and we both loved it. The Steakhouse was wonderful. The meat was flavorful and not fatty at all. Just be aware that since it is a resort, the steaks aren't as big and thick as you may purchase from a local steakhouse or supermarket. Our favorites were the Japanese and Mexican restaurants. The Hibachi was very entertaining and it was fun to sit with others and chat while watching them prepare the meal. The sushi was very tasty as well. If you eat at the Mexican restaurant I highly recommend the Flaming Tequila Beef. It tasted fabulous and you had a wonderful presentation.

The nightly entertainment was fun, sort of cheesy, but it amazed me to see how much hard work the Star Friends put in to make everything exciting. The best shows to attend are the Mr/Mrs. Iberostar and the Perfect Couple. They are hilarious.

All in all everything was fantastic, the grounds staff, bartenders, and Star Friends made it an even better experience.

Room Tip: Email early to request your rooms. Building 21 22 & 23 have easy access to pool, lobby and rest...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Stacy R
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Quetzal Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Dear guest,

First and foremost, we would like to express our most sincere gratitude for choosing IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal for such a special occasion.

We are much honored to know that you chose to come back to our resort after a few years and it brings great satisfaction to us to know that you had a wonderful anniversary with us.

Thank you for your kind words to our quick check in, we are glad to know that our front desk were able to accommodate your requests. Also, we are very happy that you liked your room and were satisfied with the update that we have made. Furthermore, your compliments about our buffet and a la carte restaurants are highly appreciated, especially about the Japanese and Mexican restaurants. We will make sure that our Chef receives your kind words.

In regard to the entertainment team “Star Friends” we would like to thank you for your gentle words. They do an outstanding performance during the day and at night. Your compliments will be addressed to the Entertainment Manager.

On the other hand, we sincerely apologize if the food was not in accordance with your standards. Our Executive Chef and his team are constantly looking for new recipes and spices to please all of the different tastes of our guests, your valuable suggestion will be forwarded to him.

Once again, we thank you for your great review and we hope to be able to host you for many other years to come at IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

IBEROSTAR Mexico

Write a ReviewReviews (5,089)

Reviewed June 17, 2014

The service is excellent from the front desk, to the housekeepers, waiters, cooks and entertainment staff especially Mauricio and Angie. I have been going to this hotel for the last 4 years in the month of November. Love it! I will be there again this November and every year I bring a new family group and recommend this hotel to all we meet that are wanting to go to Mexico. The best thing is that it is family friendly, close to Xcaret, Tulum, and swimming with the turtles is a must. AND as long as I get my SAME requested room I will try no other hotel. Thank you for all the great vacations, Celia Naranjo/California

p.s. My daughter got engaged at your hotel last year and is coming to this same hotel for her honeymoon.

p.s.s. Our shuttle from the hotel, Lomas Travel, is also a group I recommend. They also took care of us on our trips to Tulum and zip lining.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Celia3Naranjos

Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing once again IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

We are much honored to know that you had a great and quality stay with us as we fulfilled your expectations and we highly appreciate the trust you have deposited in us by coming to our resort for so many years, this is truly an honor.

Thank you for your compliments about the service of our front desk, housekeepers, waiters, cooks and the entertainment team “Star Friends”. We will make sure that Mauricio and Angie receive your gentle words.

We appreciate your recommendations of our resort and it will be a pleasure for us to provide a memorable and unforgettable honeymoon for your daughter.

Once again, thank you for your great comments and we hope to be able to welcome you soon at IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

This hotel was brilliant. The food was really good loads of choice and always plenty of it. The beach was nice white and Sandy the sea was calm and could snorkel in it. The pool was large and there was a smaller swim up bar pool kept desperate from the main pool that had children in. There was a jungle in the middle of the hotel with a large variety of wildlife, this was the highlight for me but the animals were kept out of the restaurant areas.
Overall this was an amazing experience the staff were always pleasant and would do everything for you. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar.com
1  Thank Emily D

Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for the time you took to write your comments about your holiday experience at our resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

We really enjoy reading your comments and see that we met your expectations. Our Executive Chef will be very pleased to know that you were satisfied with our extensive variety of food and its quality. We appreciate your remarks on our huge main pool, swim up bar for adults and kids pool. Our beach is really one of a kind and we are glad to have shared this piece of paradise with you.

Our resort is integrated into the tropical jungle and this offers a special vacation experience. We are happy to know that it was the highlight for you. Thank you for your kind words about our exceptional staff.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you again for another amazing experience at our resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

Best regards,

Reviewed June 16, 2014

I want to start saying that I'm a Canadian with South American Background, it means that I love and enjoy latin culture and everything that has to do with it, I've been in many different places and resorts in South America and Caribean... after that being said, now this is my review.... This was my 1st time in Mexico, I've heard so many compliments about how wonderful Mexican people is to turists, let me tell you I was completely dissapointed. I have the feeling they were under staff at the hotel, at the check in they have a very bad customer service, they have so many mistakes and issues and they expect you spend your vacations asking mistakes to be fixed. We were a couple with a young kid, they gave us a Kin Bedroom with no extra single bed, so they expected we will sleep all 3 in the same bed??? No enough bottle of water in the room and when you ask for more anybody has, but if you fight for it, they'll get you some from nowere. At the restaurant employees avoid you as they just don't want to serve you. Food is not bad but is everyday the same, so by the 3rd they you get completely bored, It is a shame, because the hotel is beautiful, the location is very convenient and also I have to say they have a great animation team and the lady Krista at the Kids club she's amazing! I just don't understand why the rest of the staff at check in and restaurant are so rude. In general, I was ready to come back home after the 3rd day, this vacation was just a nightmare at that hotel. I Will never come back to this hotel or any from Iberostar just to make sure.

Room Tip: Never go to that place.
6  Thank Rossana U
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Quetzal Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments about our resort.

Thank you for your comments about our great location and beautiful property, we are glad to know that you enjoyed our entertainment team; your kind words to Krista will be addressed to her.

On the other hand, we are deeply sorry to read that your experience with us did not live up to our usual level of service. We already shared your review with the Management in order to evaluate every situation presented with the different departments involved to make sure they comply with the high standards of service that the staff must provide on a daily basis.

Please accept our apologies regarding the impoliteness of the members of staff you mentioned. Additionally, our Chef will receive your suggestion regarding the variety of the food. He is incessantly looking to offer variety at our buffet in order to please different cultural tastes of our guests. As mentioned before all the matters described by you will be redirected and discussed with the Front Desk Manager, Housekeeping Manager, Food & Beverage Manager and General Manager to avoid any future similar situations.

We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you and your family back in the future in any resort IBEROSTAR worldwide.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

My kids and I just got back from our first trip to Mexico, and what a great time we had! We stayed at Iberostar Quetzal from June 6-June 13th. I was obsessed with the weather forecast, which was not looking good just before we left. I'm happy to say, we did not get any rain! We were in building 21 on the ground floor. The room was a bit musty smelling, and I'm glad I brought an air freshener from home.
We were just a short walk to the pool and the beach, which was beautiful! Hard to find open spots around the pool at times, but we could always find a spot on the beach.
We made reservations at the Steakhouse, Japanese, and Mexican. Mexican was our favorite, then Japanese, then Steakhouse. We were actually kind of disappointed in the steakhouse.
My kids thought it was great that they could go get food and drinks pretty much any time of the day. The buffet was fine, plenty of variety. We are not big "foodies", so if you are, you may have a different opinion. The fruit was always terrific, very fresh!
We ordered room service a couple times, late at night, which the kids loved! It never took very long, which was nice.
There is lots to do at the resort, we tried to do a bit of everything. Pool games, zumba, bingo, bike tour.
We also painted ceramics at a little area by the pool. They have many ceramic figures to choose from, and you can sit and paint for as long as you want. They do some "touch-ups" and fire it for you, and you get it back the next day. This is not included, price depends on the size figure you choose, but we enjoyed it.
We took about a 10 minute walk to Starbucks, and there were several stores there as well. There is an ATM there that dispenses USD and Pesos. The one at the resort is only USD, and the fee is higher.
We did a few excursions off the resort, which were wonderful.
I did read that there are daily snorkeling trips directly from the resort, which we didn't do, but I wish we would have.
We snorkeled at Akumal, which was amazing. I wanted to go again through the resort, but we ran out of time.
The staff here is friendly, the Star Friends are VERY friendly. They work so hard and have lots of energy! The front desk staff should take a tip from them, and smile a little more:)
I had an issue with my WiFi expiring (yes, you have to pay extra for WiFi, and I paid for 4 devices for the week!). My WiFi stopped working two days early. I did not have the User ID and Password that they gave me when I checked-in. My fault, I didn't think I would need it again and threw it away. So they told me that since I didn't know my User ID, they couldn't help me. I would have to pay for two days. I explained that the WiFi should not have expired...I paid for a full week. She said she couldn't help me. We were leaving for the day, so I let it go. I went back later and spoke with someone else, and explained what happened. They had my file with the User ID's and passwords, and she told me to go ahead and sign back on.
Note to self; don't throw out any WiFi ID's or Passwords until after the trip! Note to hotel: If a customer pays for a full week, they should get the full week, and not be told Sorry, I can't help you. Anyway, At the end of the day, it's all good.
Oh, the animals! So many different kinds of animals, we loved them! We even had a stray cat visit us on our patio several days in a row and sleep on the chair.
Great trip, great memories!!

Room Tip: We stayed in Bldg 21 facing the Riu, which could be very loud some nights, until 11:00 PM. Avoid th...
6  Thank kleigh88

Dear guest,

We are very excited to know that you and your family had a great time at our resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal and thank you for choosing our resort for your first time in Mexico.

We value your kind comments on our Mexican and Japanese restaurants and on our buffet which has a lot of variety of food and fresh fruits and juices. Additionally, we are glad to know that your children liked our room service food. Our Chef will be pleased to receive your kind words.

Thank you for your gentle words about our entertainment team “Star Friends”, we are glad that you and your family had the opportunity to participate in some of their exciting activities.

Regarding the musty smell in your room we apologize for any discomfort that this may have caused. We take measures to fight against humidity but in this climate, and our location within the jungle sometimes makes this task quite challenging! Our housekeeping is always eager to promptly assist our guests for any request or issue in the room.

We would like to inform you that we have placed extra sun chairs at the pool and beach area and we have a pool concierge to assist our guests when a sun chair is required. Regarding Steak House restaurant, we are sorry if it did not fulfill your expectations and we will address your kind observation to our Chef to look for improvements.

We are sorry to read that you had issues with the Front Desk regarding the Wi Fi, this is not the holiday experience that we would like our guests to take back home, and we deeply apologize for the miscommunication. Your valuable suggestion has been forwarded to the Front Desk Manager.

Hopefully we will have another opportunity to welcome you and your family for a memorable holiday at IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

Best regards,

Reviewed June 15, 2014

Returned to this hotel in May after previous visit in 2012. Thoroughly enjoyed the holiday and the hotel offers great value for money (which should be taken into consideration when reviewing). The appeal of this resort is the wildlife and this still appears to be well managed. The Peacocks and their chicks in the bar looking for popcorn was especially amusing at times if you strategically place popcorn on the rear of someones chair!
The pool great and quiet, the beach spotless and plenty of shade (unlike the RUI's next door) All staff very friendly and willing to help especially if you engage with them.
The only thing i think does need to make this a better hotel is the a la carte restaurants. They are not a la carte they are specialty. On our previous visit we found the Mexican to be the poorest and this was the case again. The buffet Mexican was so much better. The Italian was much the same, average. The Steakhouse was good as was the Mediterranean however the same vegetables and why the tin foil around the potato i didnt quite get? The Japanese was a good show but the food was average. The particular problem in all these restaurants and i feel it needs addressing is the speed of service. We like to eat at 21.00 and it seemed that every meal was rushed. Others who i spoke too said earlier bookings were similar. I think it is bred from the rigid reservations in the restaurants and feel that other similar hotels we have visited that have no reservations work much better. So work on the quality of the food and relax the service, remember we are on holiday and dont want to be rushed! and the hotel would be nigh on perfect.
Yes there are tiny things but i will let others nit pick or they could spend 50% more money and get what they think they should!!
To all at the Quetzal thanks for another great holiday. I may return for a third visit one day.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ian B
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Quetzal Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2014

Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal and for sharing your comments and suggestions about our resort.

We are very pleased with your nice words about our premises, including our tropical forest and its fauna. Thank you for your kind words about our pool and beach area and the friendliness of our staff. Moreover, we are very excited to know that you were satisfied with our Steak House and Tropical a la carte restaurants.

However, we would like to apologize if the food at some restaurants did not meet your expectations, and about the speed of the service. Your feedback and suggestions have been included in the report we send periodically to our Executive Chef and Food & Beverage Manager for their consideration.

Once again, we thank you for your review and suggestions and we hope to be able to host you for the third time at our resort.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

6-7-14 Iberostar Quetzel- Food/Poor, Property/OK, Beach/Awesome, Rooms were small, beds small and hard. Lots of wildlife on the property made the stay interesting. Ask for building 21 with an ocean view (3rd floor). Beware that the floors in the buildings are stone and although beautiful are very dangerous when wet. My wife slipped on a wet step and fell down them and nearly broke her leg/ankle. Have plenty of 1's on hand as everyone wants to be tipped. Drinks are very weak and not of great quality. Ask for double liquor. Shows were nothing to note. Make sure you go to Senior Frogs. Do not walk/too far. Take a cab for $7.00. Also, go to EXPLOR.

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar.com
3  Thank Richard Thomas B
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Quetzal Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your observations and suggestions on our resort IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

We value your kind remarks to our property, beach and beautiful Mexican fauna.

On the other hand, we would like to apologize if the size of our rooms was not in accordance with your expectations. Additionally, we would like to mention that we recently changed all the mattress to new, pillow top mattresses and our housekeeping staff are always happy to add extra toppers to make the bed softer. We are sorry to read that your wife fell and we also would like to add that we apologize if our liquors did not meet your expectations; our Food & Beverage Manager only offers high quality of national and international liquors.

Last but not least, we will make sure that our Entertainment Manager receives you suggestion regarding the shows.

We wish you might consider giving us another opportunity to welcome you back in the near future at any resort IBEROSTAR worldwide.