“Fantastic Vacation”

GreenLeadersGold level
Winnipeg
“Fantastic Vacation”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

We visited the Iberostar Quetzal March 2nd to 9th, 2014. This was my second time at this resort as I attended a wedding here six years ago. My husband couldn't go to that wedding and I knew this would be exactly the type of resort he would love.
Well, I got that right. He loved it and I loved it all over again.

We went with Air Canada Vacations and I thought it was well organized. After arriving at the airport, it was very easy to find our transportation to our hotel. We were with a total group of eight people. Check-in went rather smoothly with Marcela, a very lovely young lady with a good sense of humour. We were provided with a welcome punch drink which I thought was a nice touch and refreshing.
Marcela assigned us to building 27. From reading previous reviews on the hotel, some said it was too noisy as it was by the Flamingo pond and the Entertainment area. So I questioned it and she could not accommodate a change for us that night, but said she could if we came back tomorrow. She said, this was a very nice room and maybe we should try it first. Well, Marcela was right. This room was perfect. It was on the top floor, King bed, corner unit. The view was wonderful. I quite liked the view of the Flamingo pond. The entertainment at night was not loud at all. Nothing a good pair of earplugs could cure if it really bothered someone. This was, I believe, a junior-type suite as it was quite a bit nicer than some of the rooms we peeked into when the staff were cleaning.

I don't understand why people complain about the food. We loved the Buffets and thought there was great variety. In fact, we enjoyed the Buffets more than the special restaurants. For breakfast, we would go down to the beach to eat. Later on, we went back to the Cozumel buffet to try breakfast as there is more variety. Lunches were usually at the beachfront and I must say, the burgers were quite delicious.
We had no problem booking our three special restaurants that you are allowed to have.
We ate at the Tropical, and La Hacienda. We also booked the Steak House, but ended up cancelling it in the end. My only complaint with the special restaurants was with our waiter at La Hacienda who made a sneering laugh when my husband and I chose the same meal as our choice. Not sure what that was all about, and we were surprised because all other staff were polite and helpful.

The grounds of this resort are amazing. Walking through the jungle paths is a delightful, gorgeous walk. It is fabulous that this resort was built around nature. The Agoutis, Flamingos, Cranes, Iguanas, Peacocks and Peahens, Howler Monkeys, tortoises, are all at home here. I even saw the resort cat.

We thought the Star Friends were really great. They often walk the beach and go up to the guests just to say hi and chat for awhile. It's not all about trying to get you to do activities. If you decline, they don't push it. There is so much you can do, all day long if you are not the type to just lie around at the beach. You will be very busy, if you want to be. We did play tennis in the evening, but a light or two was burned out, and the tennis balls are old as the hills. I think they should be regularily changed. Small issue. Their evening entertainment is all about fun. It is not always the best show you've ever seen, but if you don't appreciate the effort, you shouldn't bother going or talking about it. They are a lot of fun.

The beach is quite beautiful. Six years ago, I had arrived just after a storm had pretty much destroyed the beach and there was very little of it left with palapas falling into the ocean. Looking at it today, you would never believe it was the same beach. Facing the Sea, you only have one hotel to your right. After that it is just jungle and beach and a long, wonderful, safe walk. To the left, you can walk all the way to Playa Del Carmen. We did both. When entering the sea, there are no rocks or stones, just soft sand.

The pool area is huge and beautiful. The one thing I wish would change, but I know never will, is the fact that people "save" the loungers. We were up everyday at 6:00 a.m. and still could not get a lounger under a palapa. The hotel says it has a policy in place to prevent this, but it is not enforced. In the end, we would just get a beach umbrella at the towel hut and use that and that was perfect. However, these beach umbrellas are in sore shape and need to be replaced. I would definitely suggest that. I think it doesn't look that great for the resort to have umbrellas that are torn and falling off the spokes. We saw hotels further down the beach that have umbrellas, that are large and beautiful and really make their place look elegant.

About a 5-10 minute walk down the main front, boulevard street is an outdoor shopping centre. It is small, but good enough to get a few items and a change of scenery. You could then easily walk to Playa Del Carmen. It would be about a 35 minute walk with ruins and beautiful homes along the way.

I think the location of this hotel is exceptional. All in all, I would highly recommend this resort and I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: We had room 2752 which is in the middle, facing the jungle, looking down on the Flamingo Pond. It h...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
9 Thank AprilBWinnipeg
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Quetzal Playacar, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Appreciated guest,

Thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal resort for the second time.

We are pleased to know you have enjoyed all the amenities we were able to offer during your stay. We are much honored to receive such comment and to see that you have shared your experience with other readers of Trip Advisor traveler’s community.

We are very glad to know that you can appreciate how we improved during these last years and happily remain in your memories!

Thank you for highlighting our facilities, your room allocation, our tropical grounds and our wide gastronomy that contributed to a pleasant stay for you and your husband.

We value your kind suggestions in regards to the improvement of our beach umbrellas and tennis court lighting. We will share your valuable remarks to our maintenance manager in order to check these particular points in detail.

We apologize about the attitude presented by your waiter at La Hacienda restaurant. Our staff is committed to high standards and offers a kind service to ensure continuous customer satisfaction. Be sure that when guests present their concerns corrective actions are taken.

We will be much honored to welcome you again!

IBEROSTAR México

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (700)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Balmertown
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Nice place, friendly staff, beautiful beach, a lot of animals, birds running around and monkeys can be seen in the trees. Cons: bring bug spray as we ended up coming home with bites that are unbelievably itchy. From what I could find out on google they are from sand flies. Also not enough palapas on beach.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

3 Thank wesrose
Appreciated Guest,

On behalf of the General Management of the IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal resort, we thank you for taking the time to post your nice note at the Trip Advisor traveler’s community page that will positively help other travelers to choose our beautiful resort in the Riviera Maya for their vacations.

We appraise your nice note regarding the hospitality and friendliness of our team members, and also, for your fine words regarding the natural landscape of our privileged location in the Mexican Caribbean.

Your tips about the use of insect repellents are very useful for any future tourist to this tropical destination.

Please consider to give us the opportunity to host you again in the near future.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

Greeted by the monkeys on day one which started a great week. Fifth time to this resort and not disappointed, we expected some aging however the rooms and buildings are very clean and constantly maintained so it appears the same as our first visit in 1998. Food is above average, service is great and the entertainment staff are always busy. night shows were better than expected. overall with the monkeys and other wildlife and level of service and food this is a great place.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

5 Thank Ryan P
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Quetzal Playacar, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

First and foremost, on behalf of the Management of IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal, we want to express our gratitude and sincerely thank for your positive observations about our resort, but most likely for your continuous preference for a fifth time with us.

During these years, our resort has experienced different changes to improve our services and quality; however we care about conserving the style that characterizes our hotel. We really appreciate your recognition.

We look forward to hosting you and your beloved family back again in the near future.

Sincerely yours,

Canada
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Loved the grounds.The hotel must have been at full capacity but pool and restaurants never felt crowded. The pool is close to the beach . We stayed in block 20 which is ocean front. From the balcony you get a great view of the sunrise .The hair dryer was only blowing cold air but they replaced it as soon as we called .The new one was fine..The staff are excellent. They are very friendly. Mauritzio does a great job with yoga /stretching in the morning. Liked the fact that he did the activity in Spanish and English.Room was well supplied with bottled purified water ,coffee and teabags.No clocks around so learning "What time is it ?" in Spanish is useful although everyone speaks English . The location of the hotel makes trips to Xel ha and Tulum not too long.Walk into Playa del Carmen is about 30 mins along the beach or $7 by taxi.
The beach is well maintained .
Food was ok.Smoking is allowed in the lobby bar which is not an enclosed area. They could make one bar on either the Tucan or Quetzal side completely non -smoking.NO free wi-fi in the hotel.

Room Tip: room 2021 is an oceanfront jr room with king bed . It is a bit of a walk to the lobby but we enjoy...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Us14
Dear Guest,

First and foremost, on behalf of the General Management of IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal, we want to express our gratitude for choosing us as your host for your Mexican vacation.

Thank you for your valuated comments regarding our team members, especially Mauricio from our Star Friends. We are always attentive to please our guests with our traditional hospitality, and also; we appreciate your comments for the location of your room, our services, gastronomy and privileged orientation in the Playa del Carmen area.

We esteem your recommendations regarding a non-smoking bar location. In accordance to our health and safety procedures and quality controls, smoking is allowed at certain open air areas where it could be not a major disturbance to our clients. However you can be certain your comments will be considered.

Once more, we thank you for writing your review with other Trip Advisors travelers. We will be very happy to have the opportunity of hosting you back again in the near future.

Sincerely yours,

Ohio
Reviewed March 8, 2014

The adage you get what you pay for rings true at the Iberostar. Greatly under staffed. Staff not so friendly, if you could locate anyone. Food service poor. There are so many other resorts in the area I would not suggest Iberostar at all. I booked a trip to Tulum and was told I would arrive there in 45 minutes. Not true 2 hours later I arrived . Cancun Passion was the bus . Would never recommend this as well.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
6 Thank JOJO816
Dear Guest,

On behalf of IBEROSTAR Tucan and Quetzal, we would like to take this opportunity to express our gratitude for choosing us for your recent.

We are sorry to hear that your experience with us did not live up to our usual level of service. We would like to mention that this is not the kind of feedback we usually get and certainly not the quality service we aim for. However we have already shared your comments with the General Management in order for him to take a close look into our procedures.

We look forward to having the opportunity of building up your trust and preference for our brand.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you and your family back in our resort in the future under more favorable circumstances.

Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Beautiful hotel, great beach, good food and good drinks and most of all the friendliest staff ever. We ate at the Japanese, Steak and Italian restaurant and they were all good but our best one was the Italian. Now a special THANKS to NATHANAEL, he is a waiter in the morning in the buffet and at night at the Italian restaurant and he is by far the friendliest, most genuine person we have ever met and very attentive. He is always not just smiling but laughing, I cannot say enough about this new friend that we made. THANKS AGAIN NATHANAEL!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Sandy257
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Quetzal Playacar, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are very grateful for your great appreciation on our resort, its quality and services.

We thank you so much about your compliments to our team members, and particularly to Nathaniel, who provided you with great hospitality. We feel really proud after reading your comments and we will be very pleased to share them with him, extending your congratulations and thanks.

We are eager to welcome you back to our beautiful resort, and hope you give us the honor!

Runcorn
Reviewed March 7, 2014

February 1st for two weeks. First time to Mexico, what a lovely time and here are my views,
To get there was with Thomas cook head wind so an 11 hr flight. Quick through the airport and then the transfer. This took three hrs because of the drop offs, the Iberostar being the last one. I would recommend a taxi from the airport and not the transfer.
The hotel was fantastic the staff were so helpful and nice. There were staff cleaning the hotel throughout the day, looking after the grounds and making sure that all was well.
Rooms were absolutely fine comfy bed tea making facility and soft drinks and beer in the fridge replaced every two days.
The food was plentiful and varied for all tastes, salads, curry, pizza, pasta and much more.
The pool was vast and spotless, there is an adult swim pool and bar looked great but not for us. A small child's pool.
The beach was stunning, went here every day, sea warm and clear. In the mornings we walked to the headland to the right of the hotel, took about 30 mins beautiful walk with no hotels, just jungle and beach. Turn left and walk you go towards Cancun, this was busy with hotels but still a nice walk.
The star friends worked hard to keep everyone entertained lots of games if you wanted them and left you alone if you wanted peace.
Went on the X plore day with the zip lines, amphibious vehicle and caves, fantastic fun and a full day. We also swam with dolphins on the Delphinos trip a half day wonderful experience, but the photographs were extortionate and you cant use your own camera.
Ladies and gents if you want a beautiful hotel as busy or quiet as you want it, lovely relaxing grounds and beach with very good food and glorious weather, then look no further.

Room Tip: Blocks 20 to 23 nearer the pool and beach and a little quieter.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank RuncornErin
Appreciated Guest,

On behalf of the General Management of the IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal resort, we sincerely thank you for your wonderful comments regarding our property and team members, including our Star Friends!

We highly value your compliments regarding the cleanliness of our premises, the variety of our gastronomic choices and in general, the great stay we provided you that complemented your travel experience in the Riviera Maya.

Thank you again for your kind note and for your preference. We look forward to welcoming you again to our tropical resort in the heart of Playa del Carmen.

With our best regards,