“Relax, have fun & enjoy”

Iberostar Quetzal Playacar
Ranked #40 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Relax, have fun & enjoy”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We spent a week en feb'13 with my wife a 3 boys (14,12,10) and we had a great time.

Everything worked fine, the room was spacious and comfortable (be aware of the beds, quite hard). The staff was eficient and friendly.

The entertaining team worked hard to make fun activities for everybody!!!

The "jungle" inside the hotel is great an so are the animals. You can't avoid loving the beach, it is perfect!!!

The food was simple but good enough. This is not a luxury hotel, is a very good all inclusive to enjoy with the family.

Room Tip: buildings 21 & 22 are closer to the pool, 23,24 & 25 are well in the middle. Try to avoid 26...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank shunets
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Quetzal Playacar, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear client,

We are enormously grateful for your kind review and for sharing it with the rest of the online community.

It is fantastic that you enjoyed our flora & fauna we feel so proud of, and that your whole family, including your teenage children had so much fun :-) We will be congratulating our entertainment staff because they try hard to make our guests’s holidays very enjoyable.

Regarding our beds, we would like to inform you that we have foam bed toppers at the guest’s request when you prefer a softer bed. You can request them at the front desk or guest services.

Thanks for choosing us, we hope we can welcome you back to you home away from home Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal.

Best regards,

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (684)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Milford, Indiana
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed here for a week with 2 other couples and the place is very well maintained, the staff very friendly and always asking how they if they could do anything to assist us or just asking to make sure things were going ok. They work very hard too. Not sure where they get their energy. :} The food was ok. The beach was beautiful.
We thouroughly enjoyed our stay so much so that we tried to stay a few more days but they were booked up. :(
We will go back!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

2 Thank weezy532
Dear guests,

Thank you so much for choosing Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal for your recent vacation and for writing such a lovely review on TripAdvisor.

We are grateful you appreciated so much our well maintained grounds, our food and above all our wonderful staff, who go above and beyond to ensure our guests have memorable holidays. We will show them your feedback so they can feel motivated and encouraged to keep going the extra mile.

It is a shame you could not stay a few more days, but we are looking forward to your next visit, it will be an honor to welcome you back!

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We were very impressed with this all-inclusive resort!! The grounds are lush with many different tropical plants and trees. Many different animals and birds make their home there. The walkways, through the center court between the Quetzal and the Tucan hotels, are Mayan ruin-like and therefore quite uneven to walk on especially in bare feet or heels. Also can be a little tricky at night since the paths are sparsely lit. Another option to get around is to use the more even and better lit pathways on the outer edges of the resort.
The attractively painted stucco buildings are three story high with beautiful tile floors throughout. All have thatched roofs for a very authentic feel. Balconies are spacious with nice greenery in their individual planters. Some rooms face into the courtyard and depending on each buildings location, you may be facing a flamingo pond with waterfalls (closer to the restaurants & lobby), jungle (mid resort location), or pool area (closer to the beach). Some rooms face toward the outer edges of the resort and look down at the main walkway to the beach with nice trees and greenery all around.
Rooms are very clean and include a small fridge (stocked with 4 water, 4 beer, 8 sodas) , coffee maker, flat-screen TV, and spacious stand up shower (no bath tub). Air conditioner was quiet. Water temperature in shower was variable at times. Toilets did not flush with much power and therefore sometimes had to be flushed a few times (typical of Mexican plumbing?). TV worked but there was some static sound. Beds in some of the rooms are very firm (but still quite comfy) while others have new pillow top mattresses. Room service provided between 11am-11pm.
The pool area is large and very pretty with many loungers and shady spots to relax. The water temperature was very comfortable during our stay. The only complaints are that the ONLY hot tub, situated in the middle of the pool, was basically the same temp as the pool. And the separate pool bar (nestled in the jungle area) gets too cold to enjoy once the sun goes behind the trees after 2 or 3 pm.
The beach is ABSOLUTLY BEAUTIFUL with many shady palapas and loungers. You can also ask for a beach umbrella and move your lounger closer to the water's edge. There is kayaking, sailing and other water activities. Jet skies and Para-sailing is available at additional cost. You don't have to go far from the beach to get a bite to eat or a drink. Just put on your t-shirt or cover-up and the lunch buffet is just steps away. Or you can grab a hamburger or hot dog and fries at the outdoor grill. A stand serving hard ice cream is popular too. Only complaint were the drinks made at the beach bar. We tried several different cocktails and none ever tasted anything like what they should. Pina Colada had NO taste at all. The orange juice they used tasted like Tang. And even though they seemed to be pouring a lot of alcohol into those drinks, I never could taste it or get much of a buzz and I'm NOT a seasoned drinker. Only one beer on tap...Dos Equis. Mojitos at the pool bar where quite good though.
Lots of activities all day long if you want to keep busy and meet people. We only did the bike tour at 10am-11am which was a lot of fun and nice to see the surrounding neighborhood. We also rented bikes for $5 that came with a lock and a basket. great if you want to take a ride to Playa del Carmen and do some shopping, eating, sight-seeing. The Star Friends activity staff are so friendly and down to earth. We really were impressed with all the employees working at this resort. EVERYONE was so friendly, kind, and helpful. People who work at this resort look like they enjoy what they do and enjoy being there.
The food at the buffets and the other restaurants was 7/10. We really were happy with most of the food we ate and we never got sick. It would really be great if they had made-to-order crepes but that's just a suggestion. Pancakes, waffles and French toast were all kind of dry from sitting around too long. The Japanese restaurant was excellent with great food and a great show. The fried rice along with sautéed beef, chicken and shrimp was super filling and tasty! Mexican and Steak restaurants were enjoyable as well. Filet Steak was the best!
The location of this resort is 2nd from the end of a strip of hotels. A short walk along the beach will take you to a more wild & natural beach area. A small shopping plaza that includes a Starbucks with free Wi-Fi (buy a coffee or ask someone for the password) is a short 5 to 10 minute walk when you exit right, outside the resort. Playa del Carmen is a 30 minute walk away from the resort or a 5 minute taxi ride away ($7 US). From there you can take a ferry to Cozumel or get a mini bus ride to Downtown Cancun for $4 US. (Collectivo Mini Bus on Calle 2 between 15th & 20th Ave.)
Over all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would definitely come back, providing we get a deal for similar price next year.

Room Tip: Buildings 21 & 22 are closest to the beach. Third & Second floors have more privacy if you d...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
14 Thank AlohaMama64
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Quetzal Playacar, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your detailed review! We are thrilled to learn that you enjoyed so much the settings and surroundings of our hotel, your room and facilities, our fantastic pool and the wide range of activities offered at the resort.

We would like to thank you for your constructive criticism on certain areas of your room as well as the hot tub & swim up bar area in terms of temperature. We have forwarded this feedback to the head managers so that they can take it into account and take actions where necessary.

We will also forward your comments on the drinks at the beach bar to our Food & Beverage Manager to reinforce training where may be lacking. He will be informed of your suggestion for the buffet as well, to make made-to-order crepes!

Our staff will be congratulated for a job well done, they are essential to achieve our main goal which is your complete satisfaction, so we are happy that you were very satisfied in that respect.

It would be wonderful if you came back to visit again so that we can show you our improvements!!

London, Canada
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Iberostar Quetzal from Dec. 14 - 18th for our first anniversary, and loved it. This was one of our favorite all inclusives and that says a lot, because Mexico isn't one of our favorite destinations. The Iberostar Qutezel is more humble and has character and a personal feeling that many huge resort don't have. We love nature and wildlife and we were so impressed by how the resort was built into the jungle, rather than clearing it away. The grounds are flawless and we loved the maturity of the landscape. We stayed in Bldg 15 on the second floor and the room was fine. Comfy bed, small fridge, nice TV, coffee maker and ample towels and the A/C and safe worked. The staff were great - friendly and helpful. The food is OK, we had no trouble filling up at the buffets. The pool is fantastic - it's very large and I never had trouble finding a loungers. The water was a bit cold for me though, but I'm wimpy like that. The beach is incredible!! We walked the beach to Playa del Carmen and it took about 30 minutes (with a triple shot margarita, I might add:) I recommend you find a restaurant in town and get authentic taco's - they are delicious! I caution you though, Playa del Carmen can be VERY overwhelming. Everyone tries to get you in their store or restaurant and many will try to take advantage of the tourists. For example, when we paid our bill at the restaurant, I watched my husband put 3, $20 bills in the folder. He checked it twice, we distictly remember because we wondered if there was enough left for a good tip. The waiter came back after taking the folder to the register, and said there was only $40 in the folder. We argued with him, refused to pay......but it's his word against ours. Seeing as there are armed guards on main street.....we just paid the $20...again. It was just so unfortunate as it tainted a really fun afternoon and more unfortunate is the exact reason I have been turned off of Mexico - just got taken advantage of too many times. My husband came up with a fantastic idea afterwards though. Use your phone to record everything. If you have to negotiate with a taxi driver - record the conversation when he quoted your rate. That way he can't try to charge you more when you arrive. When you pay a bill in a restaurant, take video of the money and the server taking it away. Tell them you are recording. It's hard for someone to rip you off, when you have them on tape, right? Anyway, back to the resort. My only legitimate complaint about the resort was the swim up bar. They built a sort of 'rock garden in the jungle' style of pool with a waterfall. It looked very nice from a distance. Once you get in, there are broken tiles on the bottom you cut your feet on, the sides of the pool are quite stained and dirty looking and it's just generally worn. The worst part was that it only got direct sun in the morning and the jungle prevents any afternoon sun. This made the water really cold and without sunlight, I shivered for an hour before bailing out entirely. Having said that, the day we left, the resort had roped off the aqua bar and drained the pool and jackhammers were lifting all the tile. They were clearly doing a complete overhaul of the swim up bar and I'm super excited about returning in the future to check it out.

Room Tip: We saw a family of monkey's from our balcony in buidling 15! They were so close we could almost...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LondonEnzo
Dear guest,

We would like to express our gratitude for dedicating your time and attention to share your kind compliments on our hotel; we are more than pleased to know that you had an enjoyable stay in the Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal.

We especially want to thank you for your positive comments regarding our friendly and helpfull staff and the wildlife in our jungle.

We sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again at in the next future.

Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Reviewed February 15, 2013

The overall stay was excellent. The employees that entertain the guests are excellent providing a vast array of things to do. They are also talking to the guests to see if they are having a good time. At anytime there was a problem they were quick to find a solution. I would recommend this motel to anyone.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. It seems like you had an excellent stay and enjoyed what we had to offer. We strive to adhere to our guests every need above and beyond their expectations and we hope this is what you encountered with us.

Thank you again for your review and nice words about our staff.
We hope we can welcome you back soon.

Best regards,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I would love to share my experience at Iberostar Quetzal on 15-22 January 2013. Before I have decided to choose this resort for my wedding, believe me, I spent a whole month (from 8 am to 4 am every day) to find the perfect place for my wedding. I have never been in this resort and I am very glad that I did choose exactly this one. As other people say about this place, it is very beautiful jungle landscape, gorgeouse beach, friendly stuff and hundreds of animals. Trust me, when you see it you will be in love in this place!!!
Any how, my wedding coordinator was Alejandra. She is very nice young women. Alejandra did help me everywhere and everytime. She is absolutely hardwoking person and she loves her job (this is major point). If you are not sure about something on your wedding day just ask Alejandra and she will give you a right decition of your issue. For example, I was complaining about beach ceremony and cocktail hour during 2 days defore wedding day because the ceremony was at 4 pm and it was very crowded at that daytime. Every bride probably can understand me :) I just didn't want to see the potbellied men with bottles of beer right in front of me... The most terrible thing that those people can make the pictures where the bride and groom as a background :(
So, Alegandra gave me an advise to change my beach ceremony to jungle area and coctkail hour from jungle to beach (fter 5 pm there are no people). It was very good idea and believe me jungle area is much more better than beach for wedding ceremony. And also cocktail hour on the beach was more convenient because my photographer could make the pictures of my husband and me and the same time we were not leaving ours guests during cocktail hour.
Regarding the restaurants, if you have not a lot of guests my advise is Italian or Mexican retaurant. These two are very good for small group (not more than 40-50 guests). And don't be cheap :) reserve it for whole night from 6.30 to 10.30 pm.... It will cost you just a little extra!
Long story short, my guests and I got a great experience! For sure we will come back again :) Our thanks to staff and of course Alejandra!!!
My husband and I just did one big mistake that have not bought the trip for 2 weeks :(((

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Anastasia K
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing your lovely review; we too are delighted you had an amazing wedding.

We appreciated being chosen as the location for your wedding. Your wedding day and experience should be nothing less than amazing - and we hope to see you on your future anniversary and special celebrations.

Your review will definitely help other potential Bride and Grooms considering Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal as their venue so thank you once again for writing, we appreciate it.

Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future where we hope you will enjoy your return visit just as much!

Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2013

In January 2013 we travelled to the Quetzal as a family of four adults staying for two weeks. We were greeted with welcome drinks & the reception staff were friendly & helpful from the word go. I had requested top floor rooms in Block 23 & we were allocated rooms as close to that as possible.

The rooms were large & spacious and very nicely decorated with traditional Mexican art. The beds were the most comfortable I’ve ever come across in a hotel! We had a jungle view room which I had specifically requested hoping we would get monkeys on our balcony, we didn’t see any from our balcony but we did have a peacock visit us every day.

The main restaurant is huge with plenty of tables. We never once found it hard to find somewhere to sit and never had to queue for food until the last two days of the holiday. As a vegetarian I thought the food selection was brilliant. There was plenty of variety & the food was cooked to a high standard. There was a Mexican section every day serving traditional Mexican food including fajitas, nachos & quesadillas. The meat eaters in our group said the meat dishes were excellent. We visited the Mexican and Steakhouse a la cartes which were both really good. We also took advantage of the inclusive room service which was 11am – 11pm and the midnight snacks in the Tulum Restaurant which was 11pm – 4am.

The swimming pool is huge with plenty of sunbeds and parasols. The swim up bar is in a separate pool and a great place to enjoy a cocktail. The beach is beautiful. There are plenty of sunbeds but by around 10am most of them were taken so anyone coming down late morning would not be able to find a bed. The sea was gorgeous & really warm. Swimming was an fun adventure as the waves are almost good enough to surf! There was waitress service on the beach & around the pool which was excellent & have never known at a hotel.

The animation team were probably the best I’ve ever met on an all-inclusive holiday. They were always friendly and genuinely seemed to love their jobs. There were activities all day including aqua gym and beach zumba with the brilliant Mauricio as well as salsa and meringue dance lessons. The weekly beach party was a lot of fun. We had read negative reviews about the evening entertainment but were really impressed. They were great dancers and every show we saw was great. Before & after every show the Star Band performed who were fantastic. We did venture to the disco Mascara a few nights which is open 11pm – 3am. The space was great and the DJ was good but the place was pretty much empty which was a shame.

There were plenty of drinks to choose from on the cocktail menu. If you wanted it stronger just ask or if you want a particular brand, Baileys, Jose Cuervo, Bacardi, again just ask.
We had booked a trip to Chichen Itza before the holiday with Yukatreks. This was a great day out & excellent value for money. Two of our group travelled to Tulum via a hotel offer. This was a good day but the ride there was terrible as the coach seemed to be falling apart, broken seats, wires etc.

We visited Coco Bongo (Playa del Carmen) & booked this through Elsa, the Coco Bongo rep at the hotel. This was by far the best place we’ve ever been to & ended up going again before we left!

The Quetzal is set around a jungle which made it an incredible hotel. Everywhere you walk you’d see wildlife including peacocks, agoutis, coatis, flamingos, monkeys and iguanas. They even had parrots and tucans. The hotel situation is stunning making this hotel stand out from any other I’ve stayed in.

One of the best things about this hotel is the staff, including animation and waiters. They always had a smile despite the long hours they work and could not do enough for you. The restaurant staff were quick to bring drinks & clear the tables. They were really humble people and happy to be there.

The only gripe was the Thomas Cook rep. The transfer to the hotel should have been one hour but took well over two & our pick up for departure was five hours before the flight which meant we would miss lunch & as we had arrived only in time for dinner we would therefore miss a meal. The rep had no interest in this and showed a poor attitude.

All in all this is the best holiday I’ve ever been on & I would not hesitate to go back. In fact I’m already looking to book for next January!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank LCoker
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal for your visit to the Playa del Carmen and for taking the time to provide such a detailed review of your stay at our resort. We really enjoy reading your comments about you enjoying the friendly and professional service. Your positive words our comfortable beds, the entertainment and our food variety are much appreciated.

We truly appreciate all guest feedback as it provides inspiration to our team and allows us to continuously strive to achieve the utmost level in customer satisfaction.

We hope to welcome you back in a near future and have the pleasure to host you!

Iberostar México