“Got sick twice in 9 nights. Stay elsewhere.”

Iberostar Quetzal Playacar
Ranked #40 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Holly, Michigan
“Got sick twice in 9 nights. Stay elsewhere.”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

We stayed at the Iberostar Quetzel from Nov. 30, 2012 thru Dec. 9, 2012. This was our 3rd trip to Playacar and our 6th to the Cancun, Playa Del Carmen area. Our 1st at Iberostar Quetzal.

Let’s start with the fact their food gave my wife food poisoning twice in 9 nights. The 1st illness was on our 2nd night there. She spent the entire evening vomiting and in severe abdominal pain throughout the night. She did recover the next day to the point where she could lay around the pool, but had to stay away from most of the food and drinks. The 2nd bout with food poisoning came on our 8th day there. This time it lasted about 72 hours of vomiting, diarrhea and severe abdominal pain. On the 9th evening I had to change my dinner reservations from two to one again because my wife was unable to leave our room for the second straight night. At this time I went to the front desk and requested to speak to the manager about this unfortunate situation. The clerk called the manager and after a couple minute conversation got off the phone and informed me my wife had the “flu” or some other air born virus. They never once even asked me what any of symptoms were or any time frame of the illness. But the manager diagnosed my wife while talking to front desk clerk over the phone. WHAT! They must think I am stupid. They can deny it all they want; this was an obvious case of food poisoning. We ate nowhere else so this would not happen. Numerous other guests were also complaining around the pool earlier that day about illness. Manager would not leave his/her office to talk to me about this situation, my very ill wife. I think that say’s a lot about this resort.

I realize these next complaints have been magnified because of the front desk treating me like I was stupid and the manager’s refusal to talk to me about the situation. I could not make this all up.
Bellboy destroyed handle on my suitcase and never made us aware of it, just took tip and left.

Arrived to room excited to hit the beach. Problem, our safe did not work. We were not leaving our valuables unlocked. After waiting, security did come and fix the problem.

Toilet tank leaked and turned on every 15 minutes to refill tank. Notified front desk on 1st morning of the problem. Told us it would be fixed right away and we did not have to be present. Toilet was never fixed. We slept with the bathroom door close at night to block out the constant sound.

On the 2nd day we realized we did not have a remote for the TV and there is no way to turn it on. Told front desk and they did deliver one to use. We set it aside; we were headed to the beach.

Later that evening while my wife was sick, we decide to watch TV. The TV did not work. They gave us a remote for a TV that didn’t even work. The next day they changed TVs for us.

On our 3rd day maid service completely missed our room. We returned later in the evening to find it exactly as we left it earlier in the day.

We had to have our room key reprogrammed 3 times during our visit. Sounds like a small issue, unless you are sick with food poisoning and it is a 5 minute walk to the front desk one way, 10 minutes to the restroom can be horrifying.

Room service menu was unreadable. Every page was stuck together. I explained to the front desk clerk that my wife was ill and unable to leave the room and she was hoping she would feel up to room service later in the day, but could not read the menu. They said they would send one right up. We checked out with the same unreadable room service menu. No one ever showed up with a new menu.

Food:
Specialty restaurants were good. The Steakhouse, Mexican, Italian were my favorites.
Buffet was average at best. Most of the meat was uneatable, dry and hard to chew. We will probably never know for sure, but this is where we think the food poisoning came from. We never once saw anyone checking food temperatures the whole time we were there. Food sat out for hours and the buffet is not air-conditioned.
The wait staff was excellent and friendly, making this review hard to right. They sure are not responsible for any of these issues.

Room:
The room was basic but acceptable once we had everything fixed or replaced. After all of the above complaints there is no way I say this room was ready for guests. The constant toilet running was annoying after 9 nights.

Entertainment:
Magician was excellent. Staff was friendly and worked hard. Afternoon entertainment and evening shows were similar to all our resorts we have stayed at in the area.

Front desk:
See above. I doubt it is their fault personally. Manager obviously telling them what to say.

Grounds:
The beach and grounds are beautiful and well kept.

I would not recommend this resort to anyone. One third of our vacation was completely ruined because of their food. It sure was not all-inclusive for my wife. While the pool, beach and grounds are beautiful, you can find that throughout Playacar, Playa Del Carmen and all the way up to Cancun. We are so glad this was not our 1st visit to the area, because we would not return. Our first 5 visits to other resorts were excellent with few complaints, so we know how wonderful the area is. You work too hard for your money, and saved for too long, way better options right down the road.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere. Food will make you sick!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank derosh
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Quetzal Playacar, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Guests,

We would like to thank you for choosing our Hotel Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal during your recent vacation in Playa del Carmen.

After carefully reading your review, we would like to express our gratitude for the time you have taken to write your experience you had at our Hotel. We are sorry to hear your holidays with us did not fulfill your expectations.

We would like to apologize for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. We are looking into this situation as our staff must be committed to high standards and personal service in order to ensure continued customer satisfaction. All concerns from our guests are highly appreciated as they represent an opportunity for future improvements of our standards in the demanding and changing world of the hotel industry.

Iberostar Hotels and Resorts work very strictly according to the internal and external hygiene regulations. Our hotel has a specific Health & Safety department which works in association with consultancy of an independent company who is in charge of verifying our hygiene procedures. We would like to inform you that as soon as we have our guest’s reports, analyses were performed on food, ice, water and surfaces and this discarded the presence of viruses. Enteric viruses, which causes vomiting and diarrhea, have the characteristic of being transmitted from person to person (like the flu), so it cannot be associated exclusively or directly with food or drinks.

Once again we would like to express our gratitude for sharing your comments. We would like to remind you that our guests well being is our priority and the hotel will not take any risk when it comes to the hygiene and Security issues.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you and your family back in the hotel in the future under more favorable circumstances.

Warm regards,

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (700)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Canmore, Canada
Reviewed December 11, 2012

It was obvious that they were in their low season. We went just before Christmas and noticed a big difference within one week. Food was tasteless and very repetetive. Our room was never done before 4pm. It was not cleaned properly, floors hardly swept - makes for a lot of sand in the room. Minibar was refilled every second day only with 2 beers - really not 4 star service.....Amazing beach, although no snorkling off this beach.

Room Tip: Very big property. If you have troubles walking, ask to be located close to main lobby. We were righ...
2 Thank Andrea S
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Quetzal Playacar, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing our Hotel Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal during your recent vacation in Mexico.

We regret to hear that our premises did not fulfill your expectations. Your comments about our services represent to us an opportunity to look for areas to improve. The Management will review all our standards about our services in order to try to verify how we can personalize it for our valued guests with the only intension of recuperating your trust and loyalty for our hotels. We deeply appreciate when guest present their concerns in order to ensure an immediate and appropriate solution.

Once more, we would like to express our gratitude in regards to your constructive comment. We also look forward to welcome you back in the future so you can experience the positive changes and become one of our loyal guests.

Kind regards,

Toronto
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We just got back from a week long stay. Other reviewers have described it as magical and I agree. The design of the resort is stunning. It reminded me of some of the eco-resorts that I visited in Costa Rica - but with all of the convenience of a large all-inclusive resort. We were a group of 6 (two young boys, parents, and grandparents) and we all loved it.
Pros:
Grounds: The animals roaming free in the jungle area are amazing. We saw the monkeys every day and the first night walking along the dimly lit jungle path listening to the howler monkeys was eerie (in a good way).
Beach: The beach was beautiful - warm water, sandy, no rocks. Go a few hundred feet to the right past the end of the hotel strip and there is a man made reef. You can swim there from the shore and stand on the concrete blocks once you get there. We snorkeled there every day and saw lots of fish including parrot fish, crabs, and a barracuda.
Swimming pools. There are four: the main pool, a kids pool, an adult pool, and what I called the jungle pool. It is surrounded by lush vegetation and has no chairs set up around it so you feel away from the resort.
Food: Quite good, even for a picky semi-vegetarian. My son said the steak house had the best ribs he ever tasted. I liked the grilled octopus at the Japanese restaurant. My tip for the buffet is to make your own fish tacos. They have a grill set up and you can toast your own tortillas, get freshly grilled grouper from the buffet, and then add any of half a dozen salsas, condiments and side dishes. Amazing. My sons also loved the ice cream place on the beach
Drinks: A bit weak but that is probably a good thing. The mojitos were the best.
It was really a perfect vacation. The only cons I can think of were the shows, which seemed pretty lame but we were up playing tennis everyday by 8 am so we were ready to go to bed by then anyway.
Suggestion: There are activities for adults and very little kids but nothing for kids between about 7 and 14. It would be great to have one activity each day for this age group so the kids could meet each other.

Room Tip: Room: Following the advice of other reviewers we asked for the third floor of building 21 and could...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mlk11
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Quetzal Playacar, responded to this review, December 16, 2012

Just a short note to thank you very much for your wonderful review sent to Trip
Advisor.
Your insightful comments are highly appreciated.
Thank you again for sharing your trip with others who may be considering a stay
with us. Looking forward to have the pleasure of hosting you again and again,
receive warm regards from Playa del Carmen.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Stayed at Iberostar Quetzal for 10 nights end of November - beginning of December and loved every minute. The hotel is located within a gated community of Playacar, which is a lovely and very safe area with beautiful expensive villas. The animation team runs daily bicycle tours of Playacar, which I found very enjoyable. There is a small shopping area about 5 minutes walking distance from the hotel where you can buy some souvenirs. The walk into the centre of Playa del Carmen is longer, probably about 40 minutes. It's very nice, but if you don't like walking, a taxi would be a faster option.

I loved how the hotel complex was set up with a jungle in the middle and all these amazing animals walking around. There were flamingos, agoutis, peacocks, iguanas and other animals that came very close to people. We spent hours just taking photos of all these gorgeous creatures! The surroundings were beautiful as well, with waterfall and small ponds and stone paths through the forest. I felt that everything, including the hotel buildings was in perfect harmony!

Our room was spacious with two double beds. I found the firm mattress to be very comfortable. Everything was in perfect working order, from the TV to minibar fridge to the shower with unfailingly hot water. The room was cleaned every day. Did not have any problems whatsoever throughout our stay. What often annoys me in hotels is that there are not enough lamps, so the room is very dark in the evenings - and that was definitely not the case here, with numerous sources of light in the room, which was an extra bonus!

The buffet restaurant was great, with a wide choice of dishes. Some things were the same every day, some things varied. There were Mexican specialties as well as international food. The fish was lovely, the burger meat was very juicy, fried cheese served for breakfast was very yummy with some guacamole. There were cold snacks and hot foot, savoury and sweet. And there was most definitely enough choice to find something you like even if you are a picky eater. One night there was a table set up where Mexican coffee was prepared - that process is definitely worth seeing!!! Among my other drink favourites were the fresh juices served for breakfast - melon, watermelon, papaya, chaya, cactus etc - I would have liked these to be available for lunch and dinner as well as they were so delicious!

We also visited 3 of the 5 a la carte restaurants for dinner. Japanese was a lot of fun, with show cooking, so bring your camera! The food was tasty as well. Tropical restaurant had incredible starters. The steak restaurant was our favourite with the best steak I have ever eaten, so we ended up going there twice.

The beach is stunning - white sand and warm turquoise water. The sea by the hotel was excellent - no sharp rocks or anything at the bottom that could hurt your feet, just smooth sand as you go in. If you get hungry or thirsty, there are two restaurants by the beach that serve buffet snacks throughout the day and a bar for drinks. There is also an ice cream stand. As for activities, there were kayaks and catamarans, snorkel and diving tours, beach sports like volleball and football and also zumba!

All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, be it waiters and reception staff or the cleaning and maintenance personnel. Everyone would greet us warmly, even if just walking by. The restaurant staff were quick to clear dirty plates and offer refills on water and any other drinks you wanted. You can also see how much effort people make to keep the grounds in top shape - the whole complex is very very clean and taken care of and you can see people diligently working at all times to keep it that way.

So, in short - great location, great hotel, great food, great people! We are already thinking of going back!

11 Thank aprilwitch
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Quetzal Playacar, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Dear guest:

We would like to express our gratitude to dedicate your time and attention to share your kind compliments on the hotel; we are more than pleased to know that you had an enjoyable stay in the Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal.

We feel really proud and honored reading your comments which we will be extremely pleased to share with our staff and extend them your congratulations and thanks.

We sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again at in the next future.

Manotick
Reviewed December 6, 2012

We pre-booked a Quetzal room through SUNWING VACATIONS as the Quetzal rooms are supposedly nicer then the Tucan rooms. When we arrived at the hotel we were taken to the Tucan lobby and told by hotel staff that there were no Quetzal rooms available even though we had pre-booked a Quetzal room. They did offer us a oceanfront room for an additional $60 US per night. We decided to try the Tucan room which the hotel had reserved for us. What a lousy room. It backed onto a noisy and smelly kitchen of the adjoining hotel. After spending a sleepless night in this dark, dingy room, we were more then happy to move to an oceanfront room.

When we tried to pay for the room upgrade with our VISA card, the card wouldn't work in the hotel's machine. We tried four different credit cards with the same result. It turns out, the hotel's machine couldn't read the three digit authority code on the back of the card. VISA was surprised that the hotel didn't contact them. We ended up withdrawing cash from an ATM machine at a cost of $40 US in commission fees for the $360 withdrawal.

The ocenfront room was very nice, however after three days into our vacation, my wife and I became very sick with flu-like symptoms which included nausea, aches and pains and weakness. Later we discovered that the two other couples who arrived with us at the hotel at the same time were sick with the same symptoms. On a positive note, I lost a few pounds as I wasn't able to put anything down for 30 hours.

When we did eat, we found the food at the nightly buffet very repetitive and uninteresting. We didn't try the other restaurants as we weren't sure our stomachs would survive it.

Last year we stayed al the Princess All Suites in Punta Cana. The food, service and rooms were so much better and we didn't get sick.

This was the worst vacation experience of our lives and we have been travelling all over the world for more then 20 years.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

9 Thank ManotickRichard
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing our Hotel Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal during your recent vacation in November.

After carefully reading your review, we would like to express our gratitude for taking the time to address this information.
We certainly believe that our guests’ comments provide us with useful insights to assist our staff to identify areas of concern.

We are very sorry that you got ill during your vacation. We would like to apologize for the inconveniences you encountered with our different services and facilities, the satisfaction of our guests is our utmost concern and we strive to provide memorable experiences for all of them.

Iberostar Hotels and Resorts work very strictly according to the internal and external hygiene regulations. Our hotel has a specific Health & Safety department which works in association with consultancy and an independent external company who is in charge of verifying our hygiene procedures. The analyses performed on food, ice, water and surfaces discarded the presence of viruses. Enteric viruses, which causes vomiting and diarrhea, have the characteristic of being transmitted from person to person (like the flu), so it cannot be associated exclusively or directly with food or drinks.

Also, we like to point out that the rooms of Iberostar Tucan are the same as in Iberostar Quetzal and that both sides share the same facilities.

Hopefully you will return in the near future to experience the improvements in our facilities and services that will be accomplished thanks to our guests’ feedbacks.

Best regards,

Felixstowe, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 3, 2012

This hotel has clean rooms although they were quite dark. The rooms are surrounded by trees and vegitation and if you want to sleep in, then forget it as all the birds will soon have you awake with their dawn chorus. There were also racoons running around in the gardens, peacocks, swans and flamingos.
There is a large amount of water (ponds) either side of the walkways near the reception/resturant area and this could be tricky for those with little ones as there are no barriers to prevent them falling in.
Food is generally reasonable but not a huge selection and the food hall is quite tight for space, the staff are not very attentive but try their best and I could not knock them for that.
swimming pool is huge and sun beds are plentiful, even the lizards seem to find a spare one to sun bathe on. The bars around the pool are few and far between and the waiter service slow around the pool.
The hotel is clean and tidy but rooms could do with a bit of updating but over all a good standard all round.

Room Tip: go to the Moon Palace
Dear Guest,

Thanks for having taken some of your valuable time to send us your sincere comments that help us in our guest satisfaction and quality service.
We are very happy to know that you liked our hotel overall and we will be very pleased to welcome you in a next visit.

Kind regards,

Minneapolis
Reviewed December 2, 2012

My son recently got married in playa at the iberostar quetzal. The weather, beach, and the water were perfect. The hotel room was very nice--although I had to ask 3 times to convince them that my phone wasn't working properly. It's an all inclusive location, which is nice. The food and drinks were average, although we had a fantastic time 1 night at the japanese restaurant. highly recommend that experience. The Italian restaurant was disappointing, honestly. The nightly entertainment was ok--though i thought the magician was actually very good for this kind of setting. Oh, and the jungle with all the animals is really a lot of fun. the hotel. is in a nice location, though probably too far away for a way into town. easy enough to get to from the airport. overall very good. food quality would probably be the way to improve the rating.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DKD

Just a short note to thank you very much for your wonderful review sent to Trip
Advisor.
Your comments are highly appreciated.
Looking forward to have the pleasure of hosting you again and again,
receive warm regards from Playa del Carmen.