“Paradise on earth”

GreenLeadersGold level
Cheshire
“Paradise on earth”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Just returned from our 3rd visit to the quetzel, this hotel never fails to impress me each time.
Fantastic service all round,restaurant waiters, rm service, bar staff, reception staff, star friends to the cleaners, i mean everbody is just so nice and polite nothings never to much trouble.
The rms are very clean and comfortuble, beds are so comfy, the maid done a excellent job.
The food is to die for, loads of choice, specialities reastaurants were yummy, steak house and italian were my favs, gorgous food, excellent service.
The lobby bar is lovely, great atmosphere, drinks the real brands, who ever says there watered down need a reality check, very generous measures and also fantastic service.
The hotel grounds are imaculate, jungle is lovely, loads of little animals everywhere, child friendly,
Star friends are so hard working day and night, as is everyone else.
I would highly recomend this hotel, ive stayed in many hotels but this is heaven on earth to say the least,
Anybody that has a bad review to write, must be from another planet
So fellow holiday makers, go find out for yourselfs, ill be back next year as usual
Until then enjoy.

2 Thank Sue571
IberostarMexico, Quality manager at Iberostar Quetzal Playacar, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear guest:

We would like to express our gratitude to dedicate your time and attention to share your kind compliments on the hotel; we are more than pleased to know that you had an enjoyable stay in the Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal.

We feel really proud and honored reading your comments which we will be extremely pleased to share with our staff and extend them your congratulations and thanks.

We sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again at in the next future.

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (675)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Vermont
Reviewed November 9, 2012

This was our first family vacation with our 10 month old, second time to this area and fourth all inclusive. I spent hours doing extensive research as I knew we needed an affordable, but relaxing vacation. This place is great and truly one of the best 3.5 star all inclusives out there. I know you sacrifice room and food quality when picking a budget resort, but I was very pleased.
Room: Check in was easy and Dennis was a huge help. He got us a stellar room, room 2406. BEAUTIFUL balcony overlooking a running stream and pool with birds. It is where they have the jungle massage hut. I loved reading on the balcony everyday during the baby's morning nap.
Grounds: The grounds and animals make this place nicer than any five star hotel I have seen in the area. I like modern hotels, but hate the concrete, sterile environments they are often built on. The shaded, open, jungle like landscape was AMAZING! We never felt hot in any of the buildings and we didn't really need the air conditioner in the room much, but then again the end of October is pristine weather. Also all of the shade on the resort was wonderful. We could walk to meals without a hat or worries the baby will get burned.
Food: Ok, I knew the food wouldn't gourmet for the resort price point, but it was really hit or miss. Room Service was awful as was the lunch by the beach, BUT when items were good they were very good. I am not talking about the taste or types of food, but rather the quality. It was like they had two different kitchens (which I am sure it is all one) and two different types of food. One place the beef would be a fake meat kind of thing and at another place it was a beautiful cut of beef, well seasoned and flavored. We didn't like the restaurants as when it was a miss you couldn't choose something else. The buffets were good and breakfast was very yummy consistently. The few items I found that were of high quality and taste were so good it was well worth wading through the low quality selections.
Beach and Pool: AMAZING and big. We never reserved as we don't believe in hoarding from others and we never found a problem finding a palapa and in a great location. We often went to the beach or pool after baby morning nap around 10 or 11 a.m. and we always found a perfect location with plenty of shade. I guess we went at the right time as I am sure it would be harder at high season. Favorite moment is laying on lounger on the beach with baby sleeping on me and I raise my arm to find a mojito being given to me. Now that is the life.
Service: These people are great. TIP them well. I also was unsure how intrusive the star friends and activities would be from other resorts I have been to, but they were friendly and respectful. The activities were overbearing and when you wanted to be included they were very sweet about it. You could find lots of quiet places around the pool or beach and never even know an activity was going on.
Another note: Wow, this place was CLEAN, rooms, grounds, buffet.....I was amazed by this as it is in a jungle setting.
All in all a wonderful first family vacation with our new baby. This resort is by far the best for the money. Our trip cost was mostly for the airfare. The price of the resort was by far way cheaper than any decent hotel in the Unite States. Someday we will be back. I know our baby is dreaming about when he can eat lots more sand again.

Room Tip: Jungle side in block 24 are wonderful rooms. We spent most of our time with the balcony door open to...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank KittyCake
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your delightful review; it was a pleasure reading it! We were happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us to the fullest!
We thank you sincerely for having chosen the Iberostar Tucan & Quetzal for your recent Mexican vacations and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Best Regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We had two blissful weeks at this resort with our son, his girlfriend ans our two grandoughters age 7 and 10 from the 17th october to the 31st october and we had a fantastic time.
The staff are friendly and we lost our younest grandaughter to the mini club, while our eldest one went diving and snorkling for the first time and is now hooked.
We have been to Mexico 4 times and to this hotel twice as it's the best. Our rooms over looked the flamingo's which was very pretty, there are also iguanas, agoutis, monkeys, racoons, peacocks and so much more. The food was wonderful and ate in each of the restraunts twice as well as the buffet there is the Mexican (I can recomend the Tequila flambayed Kabab),the Japanise, the steak, the fish and Italian, they were all exceptional and the staff were polite and friendly.
We had a wonderful time and we cannot wait to go there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Dawn244

Just a short note to thank you very much for your wonderful review sent to Trip
Advisor.
Your comments are highly appreciated.
Looking forward to have the pleasure of hosting you again and again,
receive warm regards from Playa del Carmen.

Kansas City, Kansas
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I have been to Iberostar Quetzal/Tucan 3 times in the last 3 years. I love everything about this place. First off, the theme! I don't want to go to Mexico and feel like I am in America! So no, I don't want to go to a Hilton look alike. I feel like I am in Mexico here. The jungle theme is awesome. This last trip I saw monkeys everyday. I love the feeling of seclusion here too. With all of the vegetation and trails and small buildings that you are roomed in, you definitely feel like you are in a beach jungle.

Which brings me to my second point. The beach! It was a little rough this year, but it made it fun! Jumping in the waves, floating around. It was fantastic. (I don't really have any reviews about the pool, why swim in a pool when you have a gorgeous ocean? But it was huge and beautiful.) If you walk a mile down the beach, to the left, you will get to a secluded beach, with no hotels, or city. The rock formation and the palm trees are amazing.

Back to our beach though, I found great shells! Like mini conch shell looking shells. I have a saltwater fish tank, and I brought them home, and put them in there. There are a few fish on the beach, it's actually really cool. We walked down the beach for a while, and saw a huge dead puffer fish. Sounds gross, but it was really cool. I mean you are at the ocean! I can't believe how people were grossed out by that. It's the ocean! What do you expect!

Actual rooms? To me, they were nicer than your average Holiday Inn room, but they weren't five star. But I don't care. I did not pay for the rooms, I payed for everything else. The rooms were nice. The beds were fine, unless you are a drama queen. They had a pleasant look overall. You have a mini fridge with water, soda, and beer. You get towel animals. You have a safe. And you have a deck or patio. I had a great time!

Food. Well I am vegetarian. And I had no problem, so if you eat meat, then you should be just fine. People complain about it being the same thing blah blah blah. Well they have a new theme every night! It's a buffet, did you want them to serve you steak and lobster every night at a buffet????? That is what the steak house is for, and the Italian restaurant, and the other two.They had great salsa, pasta, potatoes, and just a bunch of stuff. Desert there isn't my favorite however. Other cultures, obviously have tastes for different things, so it is different. But overall, food is good.

Shows? Some are a little boring. But overall, I HAD SO MUCH FUN!!!!! The Star Friends try really hard to entertain you, and they come up and personally invite you to come to the shows if you are hanging around the resort during the day.

Surroundings. Playacar is awesome. It is so much fun to go shop around. Senior Frogs is a must! It is fun! Beautiful, and an all around blast!!!! We went to Maroma Beach Paradise for speedboating and atv-ing. It is so fun.

Okay, if you are staying in the area, and want to do some good snorkeling. GO TO AKUMAL BEACH. My boyfriend and I took a collectivo bus, for about 5 bucks, and got there in about thirty minutes. First off, it is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. I swear, right on the beach you have rocks with urchins, and beautiful complex shells, and fish; all in 4 inches of water. I didn't take a tour, but you can, I'm glad I didn't. You swim out a while, and I saw multiple multiple sea turtles and sting rays. Don't be scared of the rays. They are very friendly and beautiful animals. Oh and a little squid! I saw a squid! We snorkeled for probably an hour and swam right next to the turtles and rays. Then we went to eat at Lol Ha Restaurant that is on the beach. It was delicious. Then we went back out, and swam really really far, and of course saw lots of animals, fish, turtles, rays. And we got to reefs. There are really reefs with corals, and fish. This was the highlight of my trip.

Overall, this is a beautiful resort. I reccomend it to anybody who wants a great price, good experience, and fun.

Room Tip: I was on a top level, facing the forest, and got a monkey on my balcony. So if you are into that.. Y...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PalmTreeClimber

Best Regards,

Reviewed November 2, 2012

I stayed there on a girls holiday on 7 November 2011 for 7 nights. Our room looked out to sea and had the luxury of stepping straight out onto the golden beach where the bar service opened at 9am and the beach restaurant served everything the main restraurant served for breakfast and all through the day. There were a la carte restaurants hidden all around the "jungle" gardens where monkeys and other animal walked free around the grounds. The staff were so friendly and the entertainment staff were fab working hard with plenty of activity during the day. The gym was clean and well equipped.

All the amenities and food and drinks were absolutely excellent and I am looking to go back with my husband soon so he can experience the scuba diving on site. I would highly recommend this for families, couples and friends.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Buttee
Dear guest:

bingley
Reviewed October 30, 2012

my husband and i stayed at the quetzal from 6th to 20th october. what can i say? it was absolutely fabulous! the grounds are amazing with different animals wandering about and the jungle is fantastic. where else can you go on a jungle trek to get your meals? monkeys iguanas agoutis and our favourites some little raccoon like animals that were so gentle they would eat grapes[their favourite] out of your hand. the restaurants were great especially the japanese and steak house but the buffet had loads of variety and all were piping hot. you could get whatever you wanted at the bars even named brands at no extra cost. also any cocktail you wanted, just tell the barman what spirits etc you like and he will make you one amazing cocktail. my favourite was a mud slide, baileys vodka crushed ice and cream. mmm... lovely! now the beach. wow! it is everything you would expect from a carribbean beach. white sand turquoise warm sea and very clean. we had no problems getting a sunbed with parasol any time of day. same goes for the pool which is huge and also very clean and warm with the added bonus of daily entertainment thrown in from the star friends are very hard working and very friendly. they also put on very good shows at night. they have so much energy! we also met some lovely people there who helped make our stay even more enjoyable. one couple were on their fourteenth time there so that says something about this hotel. it is so special. we have been to the dom rep three times thinking that was beautiful but we can honestly say this resort is the best and we are definately coming back next year. cant wait!

Room Tip: block 21 is near the pool and beach then you can walk through the jungle to get to the lobby and get...
4 Thank brenda r
Carlisle, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at the quetzal, the staff were very friendly and the service was excellent. Everywhere was kept clean and tidy.
We really liked the jungle habitat and the close proximity to the wildlife, we saw monkeys,some unusual birds,the agouti's and our room looked out onto the trees which was good as we saw monkey's up close.
We had a few cloudy days but nothing that spoilt our holiday and the rain showers were very brief.
The trip to Chichen Itza was wotrhwhile if not rather long and tiring and we went on the half day to tulum which was also worthwhile. We also spent a day in Playa del Carmen which is an half hour walk or a short taxi ride away,good for shopping.
I think it's geared mainly for families as there were lots of children around.
The only downside was the entertainment in the evenings which were a bit dated,like butlins in the seventies!
I would recommend this hotel to others going to Mexico.

Room Tip: Go for the 22## blocks
8 Thank Laura W
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Quetzal Playacar, responded to this review, October 29, 2012

Just a short note to thank you very much for your wonderful review sent to Trip
Advisor.
Your insightful comments are highly appreciated.
Thank you again for sharing your trip with others who may be considering a stay
with us. Looking forward to have the pleasure of hosting you again and again,
receive warm regards from Playa del Carmen.