“EXCELLENTE!”

Iberostar Quetzal Playacar
Ranked #44 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 14, 2012

The Iberostar Tucan & quetzal was absolutely amazing. It was easily one of the best vacations I have ever had. It was my second time at an Iberostar (Iberostar rose hall suites) and it did not disappoint whatsoever. I went with my family of 7 and a friend.

The beach was absolutely gorgeous, as beaches in Mexico always are. The water was perfectly clear turquoise, the sand was soft and the beach was clean. Other than it being difficult to find a seat, the beach was gorgeous.

The pool was great too. It was very big and a good temperature, not too cold not too hot. However, I missed having a swim up bar in the main pool. It was not too hard to find pool seats. I liked the different environments of the pool too. There was a more quiet area with shade and calmness and another side where most of the activities were held. Either way, the pool was great.

As far as food goes, we only ate at the resort 4/7 nights. We ate in playa del Carmen the remaining 3 nights. Breakfast was pretty much the same every day, but it was always delicious. I usually ate in the buffet by the pool. Same with lunch. There was always great food for anyone. The Japanese restaurant was delicious. Great portion sizes, great quality food, and fabulous entertainment. My whole family loved it. The Italian restaurant was also fantastic. They provided a three course meal. The food was of excellent quality, and waiters were friendly. We liked it a lot. The buffet was also great. I have heard many complaints on it and do not feel the same. I enjoyed the food and my siblings did too. There was something for everyone. The Mexican restaurant was also delicious. Being someone who isn't fond of Mexican food, I thought it was awesome. My meal was delicious. Thumbs up for me!

The evening entertainment was fascinating as well. My younger siblings and I all enjoyed the shows. We mostly loved the Movie show and the I Have an Idea show. It was fun to watch the entertainment and I knew how hard it must be for the workers to have to make the show so perfect. They did a wonderful job and we were enlightened to see the shows on a nightly basis. I also adored dancing before the show with the professional dancers. Allan, cesar, and Sergio were very friendly and made my friend and I feel special to dance with them. They danced with people from every age too, which I thought was very kind. We loved the pre shows too. Being a participant in 3 of them, they were always exciting. Yohel made sure we weren't nervous up there and the star friends were all encouraging to us up there. I felt so happy to be up there!

During the day, there were also more than enough activities. I especially loved the water aerobics and zunba with Ricardo. He was so energetic and the energy spread to those involved. The dance moves weren't too hard where you couldn't participate either. It was a lot of fun. Also the beach party with the mechanical bull was one of my favorites as well as the running across water and water volleyball. It was always fun to be doing activities, and I had so much fun that I didn't even want to sit and relax!

The rooms were good, but I did not find the beds comfortable because of the hardnesss. Also, animals were chirping all hours of the night making it difficult to sleep through the night. Regardless, the rooms were very nice.

What made the vacation so amazing though were the star friends. I learned every single one of their names and talked to all of them. They were always so kind and made you feel welcome. Yohel was fantastic and always made you in a good mood. He talked to everyone and was always fun to be around, including everyone during the day and night. He was great. Also I thought Eduardo was awesome. He was always smiling and put me in a cheerful mood. I also liked Carlos and Mauricio as well. They were all wonderful. A big thank you to all of you!

I am hoping to come back again in summer. My friend thought it was the greatest week of her life. Thank you Iberostar!

Stayed: April 2012
7  Thank Sammie S
There are newer reviews for Iberostar Quetzal Playacar

Reviewed April 13, 2012

We just returned from this incredible vacation staying at this beautiful hotel. From the time we arrived to the very end the employees were most helpful, friendly people you would have the pleasure to meet. The hotel is incredibly beautiful with magnificient landscaping. The rooms are clean and maid service is impecable. You walk thru a
jungle area featuring monkies, iguanas, peacocks until you reach the pool area and down to this
breathtaking ocean. Many activities in the pool area for children and adults, the employees are fun and entertaining too. Be sure to swim with the dolphins, snorkle and kayak. I promise you, you will have to time of your lives!!

Room Tip: All of the rooms have a nice balcony. We enjoyed our room facing the jungle!!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank pj53
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Our family of six travelled to Iberostar Quetzal for one week in March. Our family consists of two teenagers, two parents, and two grandparents. From the minute we received welcome drinks at the front desk to the time it was departure day, we were treated like royalty. The service was simply amazing at Iberostar and we were all very impressed with the cleanliness of the hotel. The staff and star friends made you feel welcome by inviting you to join in to their many activities daily. There was always something to do for all ages; morning yoga, water aerobics, zumba, darts, dance lessons, bingo--- the list could go on and on. The night shows were phenomenal with live music and dancing. Every meal was just perfect, from the buffet to the restaurants. We could not have asked for a better vacation, and we have already agreed to go back next year, but this time for longer!

Room Tip: Perfect room location facing pool rather than noisy jungle!
3  Thank ehook
Reviewed April 11, 2012

We arrived on time after a really good Thomas Cook flight from Manchester, good seating and inflight food.- here is a special thanks to Jody of Scarborough Thomas Cook who worked wonders for us.
Easy checking in system at the hotel lobby, and after a complementary drink we went to our rooms, unpacked and looked out of the room.
What a surprise to be met by the view of a waterfall, agoutis, howling monkeys, peacocks, ducks and lizards etc - like an on-tap zoo.
I have to admit that after such a long flight, finding our way around was quite difficult, but you soon get used to it all.
Foodwise, we mainly ate in the buffet restaurent, but also over 2 weeks we did try the a la catres in the Fish restaurant, Mexican, Steak, Japanese and Italian.
The Japanese was good entertainment, but the steak, Italian and Mexican were excellent - as were the staff who worked in these restaurants - the Fish Restaurent (Tropical) was not as good as the others.
However, the regular buffet meals were certainly not repetative and there was always something there that wetted your appetite - the service again was 10 to none.
The bars were very good, with excellent waitress service, but it's a shame that some guests could not say "please" and "thank you", as well as brandishing the dollar bills!
Yes, there was a regular exodus of sun bed towel searchers any time around 07.00 - and if you cannot beat them ......................
The entertainment staff were brilliant and were a pleasure to see, organising this, that and the other - and the shows were good, but might have started a little late for those with younger children.
The beach was white, and most days the sea was turquoise, there were also a number of free facilities you could use.
Rooms, nothing wrong with the beds as far as we were concerned, certainly not too hard.
If you have to use Wifi, go to Starbucks down the road, nice coffee and an easy walk.
Day excursions, try Maya travel in Playacar - Mike Chan, reasonable prices and when our first trip was not as good as it should have been (Chicken Itza on the Solistace) he pulled out all the stops for our next trip to Coba and Tulum etc.
Would we go back, you said it, in 2 years time.
Room tip - Sorry but it's a closely guarded secret

7  Thank SHIBBOLETH34
Reviewed April 10, 2012

We stayed at the Iberostar Quetzal for a family vacation in February. This resort wasn't too big or too small and offered something for everyone. The entertainment staff were awesome, especially Ricardo and his aqua aerobics which was a great way to work off all the great food and drinks. The resort has a great jungle feel with all kinds of animals and birds. All the specialty restaurants were great as well as the buffet which has many selections to choose from. The beach is amazing with many included water sports from kayaks to catamarans. This resort is very close to town that you can walk to or take a short taxi ride. We have been fortunate enough to go to the Mayan Riveria 3 times in the past 14 months and have made Mexico our favorite place to go on vacation. It is our favorite for the beaches, the food, and the wonderful friendly people. We would highly recommend the Iberostar for a great all inclusive vacation!

Room Tip: Higher rooms have better views. We upgraded to a suite which was waterfront with an awesome view.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Holidayspls
Reviewed April 10, 2012

We stayed at Iberostar Quetzal for two weeks in March and travelled there because my brother was getting married. There were 26 of us in total, some travelled from America, and it really was an amazing holiday.
The hotel is spotlessly clean , the service excellent and the food and drink of a very high standard.We visited all of the restaurants but found that we preferred the buffet restaurant as the others were at times lacking atmosphere. We spent most days by the pool and the children had a fantastic time. We had the usual problems of finding a sun lounger and we were victims of towel theft and although we all disagreed with getting up early to get a seat by the pool, we soon found ourselves adopting a 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em' attitude as this was the only way we could find somewhere to sit. Very frustrating!
The beach is beautiful and there are plenty of activities you can take part in or at least watch.
The Star Friends were great and very friendly; we only used the kids club on a few occasions but the lady running it was very sweet and enthusiastic.
The evening entertainment was generally good but started too late for the children to enjoy; the magic show, for example, started at 9.30 for an hour.
Myself and my partner used the gym regularly and were impressed by the quality of the equipment although it was often packed at 7am with people queueing to use the equipement, so I'd advise going a little later.
A few people in our group used the spa and were very complimentary about this service; I took advantage of the free 5 minute massages being offered around the pool on several occasions!
The animal life in the hotel is just amazing although the peacocks became a little annoying after a few days! The monkeys were great to watch and kindly attended my brother's wedding which was amusing.
Perhaps the only criticism that is hotel related is the wi-fi. It did not cost a lot (36 pesos for 15 minutes) but it was a pain that you had to go to the lobby to use it and it wasn't always accessible. I'd advise walking down the road to Starbucks where it is free and by the crowds of people on their iphones and laptops there everyday, I think this is what most people chose to do!
Overall though an amazing holiday and worth every single penny!

7  Thank clarev23
Reviewed April 9, 2012

If you are considering booking this hotel, my advice is DO IT!
This hotel has something for everyone. The location is within the gated community of Playacar, come out of the hotel and turn right and a short walk away you will find Starbucks with free WiFi (very popular especially as the staff are so nice and helpful) and a selection of souvenir shops and clothing shops. You will also find Maya Tours from which you can arrange any number of tours. Mike Chan who runs this place is very helpful and knowledgeable and these tours we found between 20%-30% cheaper than Thomas Cook and Thomson were offering. Chichen Itza is great but Coba and Tulum are better!!!
But back to the hotel itself...
The rooms are a good size and although could do with some updating, were totally to our satisfaction. We were in block 24 which was half way to the beach and the same to the lobby and buffet restaurant. If you find the hotel beds (two small doubles in each room) too hard for your liking then the hotel will provide mattress toppers upon request. There is a safe, iron and ironing board, coffee percolator and hair dryer in each room and the TV has American shows in English and BBC News 24. Each room has a balcony with two chairs, table and drying rack. Room service work hard, mini bar is stocked every 2 days but if you tip regularly then you will find it filled daily!! My only advice is don't use the laundry - if you need something urgently.

We thought the buffet restaurant was great but we very much enjoyed the specialty restaurants as well, especially the Steak House and Italian which were fantastic, closely followed by the Mexican and Japanese - book ASAP to avoid disappointment. The quality of the food in all but one of the restaurants was superb!! (The only restaurant we found disappointing on all counts was the Tropical Seafood - perhaps they were just having an off day) Lots of choices, fresh ingredients, plenty of it and topped off with great service, what more can you ask for?? Room Service is also included in the all inclusive aspect at this hotel - something I haven't come across before - just don't order pizza, its not like you would get in the UK or USA, its quite bland.
Cocktails are lovely too - we lived on strawberry daiquiris, Cosmopolitans, Blue Hawaiians and Margaritas! If there isn't something on the menu - ask, they will do their best to make it for you! Although at the pool bar and the lobby there are cocktail waitress who will come and take your order, its usually quicker to go to the bar yourself, as the ladies take bulk orders for many tables at a time. We did half and half, but always made sure if the waitresses did serve us we tipped them $1 or 20 pesos (cheaper to give them $1 for us UK folk as this only equates to about 65p but 20 pesos is about £1.15).
The hotel is home to not only tourists but agoutis, pelicans, flamingos, Iguanas, Turtles, terrapins, ducks, swans, monkeys, geckos, peacocks, plus other critters we probably didn't even see! Its wonderful!!!
The entertainment team were fantastic, not pushy if you don't want to take part but encouraging and totally committed to their role in making your vacation fantastic! Special mention to Maurizio!

The grounds staff keep the hotel and gardens constantly clean and tidy, we were appalled to see that during an evening stroll on the beach, people who had been sunbathing during the day had left their glasses and rubbish strewn where they'd left it, but the next morning, the sand was clean, cleared and raked, ready for another day, but this total lack of respect by the other hotel guests infuriated me -more on this later..

The sand on the beach is like walking on powder and included in your stay is an hours daily hire of Kayak, snorkel gear or a catamaran - take advantage. You will need to walk about 400 meters to your right in order to get to a public section of the beach where you can see fish when snorkeling. You can walk quite always out before you actually need to swim! Swimming in the sea is a delight and like swimming in a warm bath - once you get in!

If you like me prefer to lay by the pool, then you will need to ensure your towels are down on sunloungers before 7:30am at the latest! People rise early here!! Its not unusual to see people swimming in the sea and sunbathing at 6 -6:30am. Even putting your towels down isn't a guarantee though. We left our towels down one day and went for lunch and came back to find some rude person had taken my towel put it on my wife's sunbed and taken my sunbed!! We were gone an hour! Although the hotel says you cant reserve sunbed by putting towels down - EVERYONE does this so if you don't you will be out of luck!

We would totally come to this hotel again (and we NEVER go to the same place twice), I just wouldn't go when its anywhere near American holidays, the first week was brilliant, a real mix of nationalities from across the world, all just having a great time, but the 2nd week we were here was Easter week and Americans descended and I was amazed at how rude and inconsiderate they were!! I am a dual national and have traveled to the States many times as well as living there for a time and have always thought them to be friendly, amenable people, well apparently not when they are on holiday! They would go to the bar and say "I need a beer" no please or thank you, and spoke quite derogatory to the hard working Mexican staff! They also struggle with the concept of queuing and waiting ones turn. Their children would be screaming and shouting "I wanna ice cream, get me an ice cream mom!!" and they seemed to have no concept or consideration for others who were reading, trying to relax, snooze or listen to music. If you were to smile at them in passing and say good morning on your way to breakfast then they blank you.

Apart from this which totally wasn't the hotels fault - this place is a real tropical getaway with something for everyone. If you can, go low season or when the kids are in school- If I were to return, I would go the mid Feb- mid March - the weather was sure hot enough but without being oppressive and there would be less people to share it with!

Last but not least, when you check in you will get a pack and included in this is a voucher for a free photoshoot and free photograph with adventure photos - one of the shops in the lobby - TAKE ADVANTAGE - their pictures are amazing - I have uploaded one of us on the beach - they cost roughly £10 sterling each if you buy more than one - totally worth it!!

Room Tip: 2405 overlooks waterfalls and lush jungle - great room for lots of wildlife!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple