“Just a beautiful family vacation”

Iberostar Quetzal Playacar
Ranked #44 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 4, 2012

My husband and I travelled with my parents to the Mayan Riviera, hoping for a great stay at a family resort during spring break. Well, we were not disappointed. What a beautiful, clean, friendly and safe place the Iberostar Quetzal is. The pool is huge, the ocean turquoise and warm, the sand powdery white and the beautiful beach is enormous, palapas everywhere. There are walking paths through the jungle area, where we saw 2 adult monkeys and their babies, peacocks, flamingos, parrots, tortoises, swans, and many more animals. Waterfalls, fountains and lush foliage everywhere. Just an amazing resort, perfect for all ages. My parents are seniors, and often feel out of place at a beach. But this resort was comfortable, very secure and full of families. They loved it, and so did we. Best part was, the well behaved clientele. Very few loud obnoxious drunks to spoil your holiday. Our last holiday was in Puerta Vallarta at a Riu, where we had to endure endless partying and noise. This was the complete opposite.

We generally enjoyed the food, and thought the buffet was very good. Also ate at the Steakhouse, Japanese and Mexican. Only one we didn't like was the Mexican restaurant, but you can get a great picture with a sombrero! Steakhouse was surprisingly good!

Our room was in building 27, which was close to the lobby. Biggest complaint is the noise coming from the Riu across from us, and squawking peacocks and ducks at night and early morning. Felt like we were living the "Jungle Book". Very cool though, a truly unique experience.

No free Wi-fi at this hotel, however, head out of the resort and a 5 minute walk on a very nice, safe street with cobblestone road, will get you to Starbucks for a great cup of java, and free internet. We went to Playa del Carmen as well, which is about a 30 minute walk, or 5 minute cab ride ($7 U.S.)

So much more to say, but other reviewers have accurately depicted events and childrens activities as well. We really want to go back to this resort and would highly recommend it to families. Thank you to all Iberostar staff for your outstanding service. Loved this resort!!

Room Tip: Building 27 is close to the lobby and buffet restaurant, but on the other end of the ocean and pool...
10  Thank palapalovingcanadian
Write a ReviewReviews (4,962)

Reviewed April 3, 2012

Excellant Iberostar Property maintaing the brand standards throughout. Great beach super pool facilities although the usual difficulties in finding a sun lounger that does not support a towel or a book for best part of the day. WHY DO PEOPLE DO THAT!!!!!!!!!!
Food was very good especially the buffet service at the restaurants and bars were first class. Adults only need not worry about children every where.
Entertainment could be better but hey your on holiday not at a Las Vagas Show.
Rooms very clean and bright.
Staff everywhere were very friendly and offered ecellant service. We would certainly reccommened this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Boxerdogs2
Reviewed April 2, 2012

This was our first time to an Isberostar resort after 4 other times in the Mayan at different resort and without a doubt this was one of the best we have been at. The grounds and the staff (star friends) are fantastic and gorgeous! This is a smaller resort that we have been before but in the end it never felt crowded or busy in fact it was just right.

We stayed in villa 22 on the 2nd floor and came with all the standards. For the us and the two kids we made out just fine. In fact, we have heard that the beds are a little hard but we found them perfect and very comfy. The a/c ran most of the time and kept the room a cool 21 degrees all the time great after a day in the sun.

We were able to go to all of the restaurants the best was the Italian followed by the Japanese and Mexican. We never had a bad meal and enjoyed the service. The buffets were good as well, breakfast was always the best meal of the day and even for the one night we ate at the buffet we had a fantastic meal on the Tucan side. If you ever get up early in the morning stroll over to the beach side restaurant for a cappuccino and enjoy the morning sunrise - Awesome!

We loved the majority of the evening shows only a couple we did not, the magic show was great entertainment. We especially like the variety shows involving the audience, where else will you find an audience of men standing in their underwear only, if you go there or were there you know want I'm talking about.

The Quetzal beach is perfect, you can walk out into the ocean and never touch a rock and the waves are great fun. Take a walk down the beach (to the right side) it is secluded and has some great spot for some pictures.

Overall the Isberostar never failed us we loved the star friend staff and the events they held all day, the pools were great and the drinks are fab. Just a great tip for you, tip tip tip, leave a few dollars each day and give the waiters an amount for the great service they will definitely give.

We will certainly look to return to an Isberostar and will promote this resort to all our friend and family as much as we can, we can't wait to come back thank you Quetzal for a perfect vacation!

Room Tip: If you can book a room in villa 20 you will be right on the beach, but for other selection villas 21...
4  Thank DKJN4
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Last year we enjoyed an excellent vacation at Iberostar Paraiso Beach... so this year we stayed with Iberostar but chose the Quetzal since it had the jungle theme which we thought our two small rand children might enjoy. It was a good choice all around and the entire family of two seniors, two adults and two small girls thoroughly enjoyed it. The beach is excellent and has lots of loungers and likewise the pool area is equally stunning. Inspite of signs everywhere that putting out towels in the morning is not allowed, it is a common practice if you want a preferred spot. Lots of activity for the whole family including pool, beach and children's mini club. The children thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it. Night time shows are later than we're used to but quite good. The dive shop, run by Dressel Divers is excellent and free lessons in the pool make it easy to try and guage your interest without cost. Dive trips to Cozumel and the Cenotes were excellent and the dive staff are first class professionals. The same was true of the dive shop at Paraiso Beach last year.
The food at the Buffet(s) was very good with lots of variety and good quality. The Italian restaurant staged a birthday party for our 4 year old grand daughter and she was thrilled. The Japanese restaurant is also excellent. The whole resort is spotless and with a bed topper, available upon request the bed was quite comfortable and the shower was great. We had rooms in building 23 on the ground floor and I would highly recommend that location, especially rooms on the jungle side of the building. The other side did have some night time noise from the RIU next door, but not enough to be an issue. The jungle atmosphere is well done and lots of birds and animals to entertain the children.
The one downside was very poor internet service and there is a cost to use the access, which is in the hotel lobby. Very unreliable service .
All in, we had an excellent vacation at the Iberostar Quetzal. The Tucan next door is essentially identical so whichever you get the experience will be the same. All facilities at either location are accessible, no matter which resort you are staying at.

Room Tip: Buildings 22, 23 or 24 would be a good choice and jungle side is quieter. Central location about equ...
9  Thank JimJudyBath
Reviewed March 30, 2012

This hotel is worth trying at least once. I spent my honeymoon here and my husband and I enjoyed every moment. The food is ok overall. It is what you expect from a buffet. The beaches are beautiful. The pools are great although there are never enough chairs. We would get there as early as we could to get a chair. My husband and I took turns waking up early the last few days and went to back sleep in the cabanas just so we could take advantage of that. Most days they were taken over by childrens floats and towels that were left overnight to reserve for the next day. The pool bar is great. The rooms were well kept and maintained. The grounds are beautiful. My favorite part was all of the animals that you can find living on the resort. It was like staying at a zoo. Some of my favorite pictures were of the wildlife. The vendors weren't too pushy and we got some good deals on handmade jewelry that was beautiful. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the beach if you plan on spending a lot of time there. Or you could enjoy...
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank kds1025
Reviewed March 28, 2012

I had never been to Mexico before and didn't know what to expect. I was traveling with a friend who had been there many times and stayed at many different resorts. When we arrived, we were both blown away.

First off, it's gorgeous. The hotel is set in a jungle-like setting so you feel as though you're deep in the jungle while you're strolling to your room from the pool. The greenery is gorgeous and unique, so it feels like you're in "real" Mexico, and not just a touristy resort.

Second, they pretty much think of everything. Everything is set up for your convenience, from the numerous swimming pools they have (one for kids, one with a swim-up bar, one for sports, and the huge main one for everyone), to the bars everywhere, the numerous restaurants, the entertainment, the little shops with all the necessities.

Third, everyone who works there is super nice. At first I was worried that they were just nice because it's company policy or something, and that they were being forced to smile, but no! Everyone seemed genuinely friendly. I had friendly chit-chat with many of the staff, they remembered my name and drink orders, and it really felt as though they were content to work there (as opposed to some other places where staff feel bitter to be working in hospitality).

I need to mention the sea. Oh sweet, sweet Mary. The sea is the most beautiful sea I have ever laid eyes on. The water is several different and equally gorgeous shades of blue, depending on the depth of the water. It's not deep on the shore and remains fairly shallow for a considerable stretch, which is great for safety. If you want to go deeper, you always can, but most people didn't. The sand is white and very fine and the beach is kept quite clean. The first day we were there, it was very windy (though hot) and the waves were pretty strong, so we stuck to the pool. But the rest of the week the water was calm enough to swim in and it was amazing. At one point, the water was 26 degrees Celsius. I'll remember that next time I try to dip a toe into the Pacific.

Scuba instructors offer lessons and trips out to sea. There are a few people selling things on the beach, but they don't come by very often and there were about 2-3 of them. They don't bother you, just walk by holding their wares and will come by if you flag them down. Staff walk by and offer massages and spa treatments.

The rooms were large and well-equipped. There were the usual toiletries and some more unusual stuff like a comb, shower cap, shoe polish, sew kit, etc. Very thoughtful on their part.

There were a few things that could have been improved: the beds, for one. When people said that the beds were hard, I scoffed because I sleep on a firm mattress and thought that I would be ok. No, the beds were like sleeping on soft rock. They were so hard that even though I slept on a pillow, my ears still felt the hardness. Anyway, I didn't request a foam mattress top or anything so that was my fault.

Another thing that could have been better was the noise level. First of all, you wake up to the sounds of the many animals that roam the jungle area. That's great, I guess I enjoyed them too much to mind the noise. But one morning, a little before 7 am, I woke up to the sound of cleaning staff talking really loudly (nearly yelling) to each other on the radio outside my door. My friend, who was already heading to the beach, told them to keep it down, but when she came back a few minutes later for the sunblock she forgot, they were still doing it. I was naturally awoken by their loudness and really shocked about that kind of behavior from an otherwise such a fine resort. There were also some late nights when the younger visitors were coming back to their rooms, drunk, and waking people up with their noise. I think this happens everywhere, but it would be great to maybe have some signs or something reminding people coming back that other people are probably sleeping between certain hours.

Finally, the food was pretty average. The best restaurant of those we tried was the steakhouse. That was really flavorful and nice. The others, however, and the buffet, were often pretty bland. Nonetheless, we found the items that were constantly delicious and just ate those.

Some miscellaneous observations: there were a ton of Europeans, Chileans, Argentinians, etc. It was nice to be surrounded by a diverse group. There were fewer "spring break goers" than I expected. Overall, most people kept it pretty classy. The hotel organized a ton of events for people on the beach and at night to keep them entertained, so I thought that was a really great touch. Finally, I may have fallen in love with some of the handsome gentlemen in their employ. Alas, maybe next year.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
8  Thank tns777
Reviewed March 28, 2012

This Resort is excellent. We stayed 7 nights over Spring Break. We are a family consisting of grandparents, parents and two teenagers. We all loved this Resort. It has something to suit all age groups. Lots of activities to keep whomever wants to participate in them very busy indeed. The buffet served up excellent breakfasts, that was always plentiful. The Italian Restaurant was super good. The waiters were always attentive, professional and remembered which one of us took our coffee black, with or without sugar, etc. The walkways through the jungle was spectacular, with flamingos, monkeys and other creatures scurrying about. Edgar, in the bicycles took us biking around the area and pointed out areas of interest. The evening entertainment, starting with audience participation was funny, and the professional dancers and singers were friendly and happy to give salsa tips to anyone willing to try. The zumba, yoga and aqua aerobic instructor was a huge crowd pleaser every day. Yoel needs a pat on the back from Iberostar for making everyone feel as if they are special guests at his home, always smiling and very approachable. We look forward to our next holiday at this Resort.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 1100 - 1200 are close to the beach and pools, very quiet.
6  Thank carita_12