“Location, location, location!”
Review of Blue Parrot Suites

Blue Parrot Suites
Ranked #187 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed September 29, 2013

This was my third stay at the blue parrot. We arrived on a late flight and our transport was there, as promised. Upon arriving at the hotel to check in, we had to wait 45 minutes for someone to arrive at reception to check us in and get us our room. The room was clean and well appointed. We had a rooftop room, but the gate to our rooftop was locked for Hal of our stay. Since we had a nice patio area outside of our room, we thought that was it. The table outside of our room and the one on the rooftop palapa were dirty, so we used one of the towels to clean it. Upon checking out, I was charged $12 to replace the towel! Firstly, a bit of bleach would've cleaned it just fine and secondly, if the staff had cleaned the table in the first place, I wouldn't have had to use the hand towel!
We felt safe with the security guard posted, but the overnight security guard was a bit creepy and took a real liking to my friend. He asked her out, offered us a ride to the airport and asked her for a puff off her cigarette. Not asking for a cigarette, but a puff from hers! Yuck!
The phones didn't actually work and on several occasions, we had a hard time and a long wait to get anyone in reception.
My suggestions for this once lovely hotel?? Increase the water pressure, have someone available at reception, and have the cleaning staff clean the outdoor surfaces. Since they already have our credit card info, a beach towel for each occupant would be lovely. If they steal it, charge them. The wifi was spotty at best; we wound up using El Taj wifi since it was more reliable.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Kathleen2810

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The location is great. Rooms very spacious and lovely terraces with fantastic views and it is really well located but the kitchens are very old fashion and doors should be changed too as they are very poor quality. But overall, we really liked it and would stay again.
We really enjoyed the use of sunbeds in Mosquito beach resort.
Staff are helpful and polite.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Paua3
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We spent a week on a 3rd floor one bedroom "suite" at the Blue Parrot Suites. The Suites are actually down the street from the Blue Parrot Beach Club, so there is some walking involved to get to their beach club and bar, not a far walk but not right out the door either. I would like to mention that we had 35 winding outdoor steps to our unit, they were very slick when it rained and no hand rail. I would not advise any elder or anyone with a toddler to rent a unit on the top floor, be sure and get a bottom floor only. We had a wonderful upstairs private cabana where we could sunbathe in private and we could see a distant view of the ocean. This cabana was up another 15 stairs, so after climbing 50 steps round and round it could be a challenge for some. The rooms are very outdated, however we moved furniture around to make the room suitable for us. The rate was very reasonable for the unit and the pool is very small and 3' deep at all areas of it, but it is nice to jump in and cool off. Not many people at all at the pool. We did not hear any late night noises at all. It is def very close to the action within walking distance. I would stay at the Blue Parrot again, all the staff was very nice, and our room did not lock well at all but we never had one single problem of theft or concern someone had been in our room. We felt very safe while we were there, and they do have a security guard on duty right outside the gate at all times. If you don't have small children or elder I would recommend the 3rd floor suites as they do have private playapas well worth the hike up the stairs.

Room Tip: 3rd floor if you don't have any toddlers or an elder guest.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank inkwizard
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This hotel was fair. My expectations were not particularly high, as it was a last-minute deal and the price was half of what other hotels were charging. But at $125/night, it should be clean and functioning. Only about half the light bulbs/fixtures worked. The TV remotes did not work. The screens on windows did not work, so there was no option but to remain in AC (which, fortunately, did work). The shower did have hot water. The room was fairly clean, but definitely not spotless. Staff was somewhat helpful. Pool was nice, but unswimmable after 8pm because they put chemicals in it at night. The best thing about the hotel was Mauricio, who was very helpful at the front desk. I liked the fact that they give you beach towels, but I don't like the fact that you have to leave an ID to get one. I mean, they already have all your CC info...The beach this hotel accesses is not the nicest. I went down and up the beach in either direction to find a swimmable beachfront. I did feel safe here as a solo traveler. The hotel was quiet, until the weekend rolled around and with it about 10 young Mexican guys who partyed loudly. The front desk was responsive when I complained, though.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 4, 2012

This was the second time I stayed in the top condo at the Blue Parrot Suites and I couldn't have been happier! The feeling of privacy, ocean views and rocking in the hammocks on top of the world was truly a slice of heaven. A beautiful escape from bustling 5th Ave just minutes away. I felt like I had stepped into another world! On mornings when I would wake up early, I would bring my lap top with a fantastic yoga workout up to the palapa and watch the sunrise over the Carribean! What an exotic treat...throw on my bathing suite and head for the complimentary breakfast at the ocean front restaurant minutes away! What a way to start the day! Returning to the room after a hard day of sun bathing and reading at the beach, the beautiful cool air-conditioned room complete with kitchen and a cold cerveza, was the perfect completion to a nurturing day! Also the best ceviche in town is just two doors from the entrance to the suites! The rooms were appointed in classy casual decor. I will return again and again to this intimate yet inspiring and expansive location when ever I visit Playa Del Carmen! Gotta love those Blue Parrots!

Room Tip: The 3rd level Suite was fantastic, private and great views
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank windhorse55
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We visited Playa Del Carmen recently and discovered Blue Parrot Suites. My wife and I wanted a place near the heart of the action and at first we stayed at other hotels but the noise from nightclubs was absolutely ridiculous. We visited some friends staying at the Blue Parrot Suites and found their place was beautiful, steps from the beach, centrally located and walking distance to everything, and more importantly quite. We bailed on our other hotel and booked a great rooftop/penthouse unit at the Blue Parrot Suites for an economical price. We had two rooms to spread out, and our unit had a private palapa on the rooftop with hammocks that looked out over blue carribbean waters. It was blissful.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 327/328 which had multiple areas (ie: a balcony, a terrace, a palapa) for hanging...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We spent a perfect week at Blue Parrot Suites during the Day of the Dead festivities. We had a third floor suite with amazing views from the palapa and the balcony overlooking the Caribbean. The sunrises were absolutely spectacular. Lounging in the hammocks was heavenly. The service was outstanding. Our room was cleaned daily and having fresh sheets each night was total luxury, especially since we spend each day working beach side planning a future spiritual retreat. The bed was comfortable and just the right firmness for my taste. The complimentary breakfast by the beach was a wonderful way to start each day. Being located in the heart of the Playa beach district also made so many wonderful experiences possible. Great shopping, restaurants and entertainment were literally just outside our doorway. The swimming pool fit perfectly in the tropical landscaping. There was always a security guard on duty leaving a feeling of safety and security, even though Playa impressed me as a safe and comfortable town to be in. The sight and experiences in the area are fantastic. I can't wait to do this again. Thank you Blue Parrot Suites for an absolutely unforgettable experience. I didn't visit the fitness center, so I cannot offer my opinion about it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business