Having just returned from the Riu Yucatan i feel compelled to write especially after reading many negative reviews. In my opinion this hotel is first class in all aspects, ranging from cleaners to management and overall service that the hotel provided.
We flew on the dreamliner from Gatwick. We were so impressed with this aircraft and certainly did not feel the need to upgrade or have extra leg room seats. The experience once off the plane was truely horrific going through immigrations. We were in the queue for about 1 1/2hrs and it was bedlam as well as being extremely hot. There were so many other planes that must have landed at the same time as there were many nationalities in line. Make sure you read your immigration form properly when filling it out as many of us had to leave the queue to complete it correctly.
On eventually arriving at the hotel all i can say is wow. The lobby was fantastic. I imagined that all the pink would look cheap, however i was wrong. To me it just looked grand.
Our room was very spacious. Yes, initially it smelt damp, but it so humid there it was not suprising. After a while you didnt notice this. The idea of the optics in the room was very good. The mini bar was stocked up every other day. The shower was very powerful and shower gel was topped up during the stay. The room was kept spotless by the maids with lovely towel art every day.
We chose to stay by the relaxing pool as it was much quieter for us, however if you like activities and a lively atmosphere then this is the pool for you. Beware when walking by any of the pools, the ground is extremely slippery when wet.
The beach is gorgeous with beautiful clear sea and lovely white sand. We never spent our day on the beach so cannot comment on the availability of sun beds.
The food was first class. I never grew tired of the buffet. There was a huge selection to cater for all needs. The speciality restaurants were of good quality. My particular favourite was the asian and the steak. My only gripe is that the dress code should be enforced. It states long trousers in these restaurants however people came in shorts, baseball caps and looked like they had just come of the beach. They should either enforce this or say that there is no dress code.
All bars were excellent. I particulary enjoyed all their cocktails. The bar staff were so hard working. We never had to wait for a drink (that was without giving a tip). We did tip the staff for good service however it was never expected.
We just went on one excursion to Chichen Itza. We booked through Thomsons and i have to say that the price was very reasonable. They guaranteed that they would be one of the first coaches to arrive to avoid the crowds and i have to say they were true to their word. When we left at midday all the other coaches were arriving and it was a nightmare.
Playa Del Carmen was a 40 minute walk along the beach or road. It was nice for a change of scenery.
The thomson reps were excellent and avaiable for most parts of the day. I have never been anywhere that the reps were around so much.
There was an ATM in the hotel which we did use, and there were no issues for us. The reps said it was much safer using the one in the hotel or attached to banks than the stand alone ones in PDC.
We would definately return to Mexico without a doubt. My opinion was that it was a fantastic hotel. I know everyone has their opinion when they give a negative review, however book this hotel and see for yourself and make your own mind up. I am sure you will not be disappointed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located in the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km/ 1.9 Miles from Playa del Carmen * In Playacar's resort area, along with the Riu Palace Mexico, Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Playacar and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * Main building and 2-storey buildings * Mexican "Hacienda" style architecture * Surrounded by 40,000 m2/44,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Next to the Mexican Street * 800 m/2,650 ft. From various shops * 55 km/34 miles from Cancun Int'l. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Yucatan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Yucatan Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan Mexico
- Rui Yucatan
- Hotel Riu Yucatan Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico