We stayed at this hotel in November. We had mixed weather, quite rainy for the first 3 days but sunny after that.
We loved the new look of the hotel and thought that the pink worked really well. Excellent reception with really helpful staff. Nice seating areas. Bar in the same area with efficient bar staff. No problems getting branded drinks when asked for. Entertainment in here 3 times a week was very good.
The rooms are exactly as they look on the photos. Clean and functional. As everyone says, the shower is open plan and has clear glass. As previously stated this can be a problem if sharing the room with teenagers. We had to use a towel over the glass door. Okay but not ideal.
I would describe the food in the main restaurant as very good but not amazing. The waiters were very good. Always cheerful and ready to top you up with wine and water. (Though very over worked.) The Italian and the oriental restaurants were very nice. The Steak restaurant was terrible – it was the lunch time restaurant converted for the evening. There was no atmosphere, it needed to be made more cosy, perhaps candlelit with some music playing. Food was not nice. The staff were lovely but very disorganised though in fairness we visited this restaurant when it was torrential rain and very windy. The lunch time restaurant near the beach gets too busy as a lot of the people from the Tequila hotel across the road come to the beach and use the Yucatan facilities. The food is nice.
There are three pools.
The relax pool is lovely and quiet with lots of sunbeds, day beds and hammocks. With gentle music playing in the background with a nice little bar area.
The main pools overlooking the beach are quite lively. We never had any trouble getting sunbeds.
There are plenty of activities going off around the pool area and the beach. The entertainment staff are so friendly and such good fun. On 1 day a week there is a barbecue at the side of the pool.
The beach is really gorgeous – white sand, blue/green sea. The sunbeds get full fairly quickly but as we were always up and about early we had no problems getting one. Not very good for snorkelling
but there is an area about 10 minutes walk to the left of the beach where you can snorkel.
The night time entertainment is mixed some of the shows are really good eg. Fire show on the beach followed by beach party was great. Magic show was good. In fact most of the professional shows were good except for the Grease show which was terrible. Normal karaoke shows a couple of times a week not brilliant unless you really like karaoke.
Tulum – interesting but very hot - took a taxi
Grand Cenote – nice and very refreshing – took a taxi
Explore – An expensive day. Zip wires were not as good as they look – Swim in caves were brilliant. Rafts were good fun .Probably would not have gone if we had known what it was like we had a good day but taking into account it was nearly £100 we think the money could have been better spent. - took a taxi
Akumel beach – caught a bus which cost 200 pesos for 7 and a taxi back 700 pesos for 7.
Amazing day – Fantastic beach. Can snorkel off beach no need to pay for guides. Hire snorkelling gear from back of beach. We saw turtles which was WOW, stingrays and lots of lovely colourful fish. Best day of my holiday.
1 person in our party went on the dolphin trip with Thomson. - Very good- photos extremely expensive.
To sum up we were a family of 7 with mixed ages of 14 year old,20 year olds, 30 year olds and couple in 50's. WE ALL HAD A FANTASTIC HOLIDAY. Yes there were a few faults but the good far out weighed these. The staff are excellent and will do anything they can to help you enjoy your holiday. The beach and the pools are gorgeous. The food in general is very good but not amazing. If you want amazing you will need to pay more money and go to the Palace next door. I would rate the hotel as a good 4 star with good facilities but not luxurious You can go out of the hotel and feel safe. Mexican people outside the hotel seemed very friendly and helpful. No one hassles you. They will ask you to buy but will take no for an answer. Don't agree with previous review that say it is showing signs of wear and tear. It may not be to some peoples taste but was immaculate.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 24h All Inclusive Hotel Riu Yucatan opens all year round and is located directly on the beautiful Playa del Carmen. The RIU Classic Hotels offer comfortable rooms and excellent facilities with great leisure and relaxation facilities, as well as international gastronomy. Enjoy a relaxing holiday - whether alone, with family, partner or friends! The location is ideal because of its proximity to Cancun Airport CUN (55km), Cancún city (60 km) and invites you to explore the area. The hotel has 507 comfortably furnished rooms and offers many amenities. Relax in our spa or get in shape at the gym. 4 outdoor pools, 1 children's pool. For the youngest guests, there is the RiuLand Kids Club (ages 4-7 & 8-12 years) and for adults, day and evening entertainment. For lovers of gastronomy, we offer live cooking stations at our main restaurant, Asian, Mexican, Italian specialty restaurants, Steakhouse, and 5 bars. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Travelocity, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelPower and TripOnline SA so you can book your Hotel Riu Yucatan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Yucatan Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan Mexico
- Rui Yucatan
- Hotel Riu Yucatan Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico