“Great Holiday, overview.”

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Great Holiday, overview.”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Hi,
Travel date - 28th Aug - 11th Sept 2013.
Tips:-
- Excursions must do’s : Coco Bongo’s, Chichen Itza (our guide Elsandro was amazing) and
Xcaret.
- Bring mosquito cream from home and get “Off Family with aloe vera” asap when you land.
- Go to Alux, the restaurant in the cave, there is a reference on trip advisor and facebook for it.
Worth the money, get the tour.
- Refurbishment is excellent; bathrooms do lack privacy in the shower however, big boo boo was
made there by RIU.
- Entertainment is good during the day, there is a show in the evening. For experienced
RIU’ers there is Grease and Michael Jackson, however there is new shows some of which
were excellent. Overall this is was good but once the show ended that was it. Which is
disappointing, as much as the RIU song and dance was “interesting” it did give a nice transition
after the show ended and got people up and in the spirit instead of, “ok lets sleep”.
- Food was excellent; Steak house, Asian and Italian were amazing, we unfortunately didn’t book
for Mexican however we were pleased with the standard food.
- Reservation of lounger’s by the main pool was a problem, there is no reason anyone should
have to get up at 4am to reserve lounger’s (after complaining about the situation to staff etc)
only to find that other guest have thrown their stuff and towels aside and put their stuff in the
place.
- The new chill out pool is great if you want a quiet day just relaxing and the young barmaid
there was lovely and always had a smile and a laugh with everyone.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 7000 block and our rooms were fairly quiet the only noise seemed to be the coaches...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank kzsp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,084)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
santa rosa, ca
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stayed at the Riu Yucatan from Sept.3-8th- wish it had been longer. This was my 9th trip down to Playa Del Carmen in the last ten years. I have stayed at many other resorts, and chose this resort due to the beaches in Playacar (previous stays at IB Tucan and Sandos) and a decision to try something new- the Riu Yucatan and recent renovations.

CHECK-IN: I arrived in Cancun at 4pm- with wonderful transportation by Canada transfers, I was at the resort within the hour. Check-in was smooth and I was off to my room with the help of a bell captain. Although I had not seen the "old Riu Yucatan" the lobby was impressive.

ROOM; I had a suite and it was amazing! I was in Block 5, on the third floor, and despite the lack of elevators, it was worth the trek. I had a view of the pools and beach. At check-in they explained to me that with the renovation and the fact that they were in a "hurricane zone" that they did not have "ocean front rooms." That did not matter- I had a great ocean view! The balcony was large and faced all directions!

BEACH; Playacar has the best beaches in Playa Del Carmen. This hotel is right there- next to IB Tucan and the Palace. The sand is white and soft- you can walk out into the water and no rocks anywhere- waves at times and welcomed/fun.

FOOD; The buffets at the Riu are incredible- great selections and quality. I have to say that I went to the Steak House on the second night and never booked an ala carte after that- the buffets are better!

SERVICE; Excellent service at all times. From the bars to the restaurants, to the front desk. Just dial "9" and they will do everything to help your stay be a pleasant one.

POOLS/BEACH; There was a towel game going on by the pools- I had a great view and watched people in the am placing towels while it was raining on loungers. You could always get a lounger on the beach and most days by the pool without going out at "o-dark-thirty"

ENTERTAINMENT; The entertainment team worked so hard- they were fun to watch and deserve kudos for their hard work- the kids seemed to enjoy! I am not a late night entertainment person so I cannot comment on the resort activities- I could hear the music and it was welcomed.

INTERNET; You get 90 minutes "Free" per day in the lobby. $15/day in your room. The catch is that when you log-in at 9am in the lobby, you are done at 1030 am. So, you cannot login until after 1030 the next day- regardless of whether you used the 90 minutes. So, if you take a day trip, get back at 6pm, you log-in, but the next day you cannot until 1930- in this day and age, it should be free and always available!

OVERALL; I love this resort! I would go back in a heartbeat. I had no problem with mosquitos and not sure of others posts in this regard

Room Tip: Block 5- had 5314- wonderful room!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
8 Thank nanenoon
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Travelled to Mexico for the first time end of July 2013full of excited anticipation-have been to many great places-luckily. This place is very nice-rooms are kitted out quite basically but the food was excellent and abundant. Weather was hot and it is quite humid.

That brings out the Mosquitos-all day and all night. Most brits with white skin (me!) were a feast for them. Now before you dismiss that because you have not been badly affected by Mossies before, heed my warning because I had not been previously affected in all the trips I had been on. My wife had the odd problem.

This became a daily chore of Mossie watch...they fly in quietly and low, bite you before you can react and they are off-catch one with the slap of the hand and horror-loads of red blood splatters-probably mine!! There is no cure-the citronella sprays, strong or standard-the bright coloured bangles, some had green some had red, some had both-the Mexicano Mossie fears none and disregards the claims of the $10 pitch from the bangle sellers. Even the bangle wearers got bitten. Some bites swell up the next day making it impossible not to itch-once scratched, the scab are there for ages-have been back a month and still they are there! So we kept up the routine of the daily Mossie watch with limited success- but who wants to go on holiday to be a sentry-we all want to chill (I go with my kids and 'the book' (my wife normally lies by the pool reading, whilst I entertain the kids! Not this one)

After the second week -by which time I had avoided the Mossies by staying in the pool only to get an ear infection needing antibiotics!!-my wife gave in to the irritation, we visited the Doctor at the Hotel-excellent by the way-waited in the queue of Mossie bitten individuals lined up at 9am each morning. Doc gave her an antihistamine injection in the butt and instantly the irritation calmed-like switching off receptors as it sailed through her veins. If only we had had the injection in week one we would have had a better experience.

So hope this helps. The place is brill-Chitzen Itza and the Mayan Cave with pool is awesome and the kids loved the cold water of the cave, the sea is warm and so blue (obviously salty so easy when snorkelling, don't over do it) and the water park at Xel Ha offers lots the kids love, swim with Dolphins was OK and the Captain Hook night was so-so...good crescendo but slow build!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank TDH1962
Romford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I am absolutely outraged at some of the comments I have read about this hotel. However, rather than attacking other's for their opinions, I'm simply going to tell you the story from my perspective.

It is important, firstly, to say that I am not at all fussy when it comes to hotels whereas my boyfriend could definitely be described as being fussy. We arrived at this hotel on 21st August and was pleasantly surprised with the renovations. We had never been there before, but had seen pictures of its previous image and we thought it looked much better. If you want a 'classic' sort of style, don't stay here. It's now extremely modern in all aspects. You may prefer the Tequila's classic-style which we visited a few times, but we definitely preferred the Yucatan.

The rooms are spacious (particularly for just a couple), have PLENTY of storage space with a good-sized tv, ironing board, iron etc. The bathroom and bedroom are open-plan which some people may not like, but there is a separate toilet. The shower only has a glass door which means that you have no privacy (again, not a problem as a couple, but may prove difficult as a family with teenagers).

The pools, bars and beach are fantastic (the beach in particular - absolute paradise). There are 2 main pools - one with constant entertainment by the beach and another quieter one near the main building. Plenty of sunbeds. People do put their towels down early, but we would go to the busier pool around 8.30am and there were still beds available. There are ALWAYS beds available on the beach, no matter what time you go there. The hotel do lots of things during the day that you can get involved in - football, volleyball, bingo, aqua aerobics, games etc. Not much to do in the evening except for shows (which we enjoyed), but you can always get a cab for £3 down to Playa del Carmen which is full of bars, restaurants, clubs, shops etc. We're a young couple (26 & 30) but were in bed by 10.30 / 11 as there's so much to do in the day that you get tired by the evening anyway. Lots of watersports available right outside the hotel on the beach.

The food in this hotel is outstanding. We never got bored of eating in there 3 times a day for 2 weeks - they cater for absolutely everyone and everything. They do serve the same menu for lunch every day, but they change their menus of an evening for dinner.

The staff were so attentive - you couldn't ask them for anything more. Whatever you needed, they were there before you even had to ask, always with smiles on their faces. A group of lovely, lovely people. The hotel was extremely clean - we even saw the staff cleaning the pool area with a toothbrush!

The mosquitos can be an issue, but I only got bitten 5 times in 2 weeks (which, believe me, was miraculous). I normally get eaten alive on holiday, but I constantly had repellent on which massively worked (the few times I got bitten was when I forgot to put on the spray). My boyfriend got bitten quite a lot more than that, I have to say, but this isn't down to the hotel (the mosquitos were not in our rooms so they can't do much about it).

As well as staying at the Yucatan, you can also use the facilities of the Tequila and the Playacar, both a 5 minute walk from the hotel. You can't eat dinner there, but you can eat lunch and use their pools throughout the day (but most people from the other hotels came to the Yucatan).

Another thing to mention is how security-conscious the whole complex is. It is noted when you leave and return to the hotel by a security guard, even when leaving / returning in a taxi) and they check that you are wearing the hotel's wristband which made me feel completely safe both inside and outside the hotel.

Given what I said at the beginning about my not being fussy and my boyfriend's picky attitude, now is the time to say that we both absolutely loved the hotel and had the holiday of a lifetime. We really didn't have any complaints whatsoever. If we were ever to return to Mexico, we would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Emma P
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2013

The Riu Yucatan hotel has been just renovated and though we did not see the old hotel it is now very very american hotel looking. It is very well situated with a beautiful beach right on the doorstep.The rooms were very nice and were well equipped,although our tv broke down early doors and was replaced with a smaller tv for the rest of our holiday.The beds were changed on a regular basses ,but we thought that sheets always felt damp.The only other complaint about the room was,if you were there as a family with kids is that the shower door was clear glass ,so you have to have no modesty or have to have a open mind.Outside there are two main pool areas,the pools near the beach are very noisy but are great for kids with lots of games,we on the other hand preferred the pool near the reception which was nice and quiet. The food was good at dinner and breakfast ,but lunch was not good with no variety and no change .Now the big problem Mosquito's i came back with over fifty bites.The staff were really friendly and could not do enough for you .Overall we really enjoyed our holiday ,but beware the mosquito's

Room Tip: try to get a room with low numbers its not near the theatre so its quieter
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Robert M
MN
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I want to start off by saying that I am in general not extremely picky, but I will admit that I was disappointed in this hotel. This was our 6th time to Playa del Carmen, the 4th time staying in Playacar. I definitely recommend staying in Playacar. The beach is fantastic here. There is hardly any seaweed and no rocky water entrance, which is awesome, but back to my review of the hotel.

While staying at this hotel you have the option to use the facilities (drinks, snacks, breakfast, and lunch) at the Riu Tequila (across the street, no beach access) or Riu Playacar. We had a drink over at the Tequila and it was very nice. The lobby at the Playacar had the smallest lobby bar I have ever seen, but we liked the layout of it. Overall, the ability to use the other resorts didn't have an impact on my feelings about staying at a Riu, as I thought it would. I figured we would spend more time at the other resorts, but we didn't.

Pros:
The food is good, the best of any all inclusive I've been to
The beach is spacious
The staff works very hard
Plenty of bars
Big room safe (you could easily store numerous laptops)

Cons:
Few palapas by the pool and none at the beach - this is one of my favorite things elsewhere
Not enough chairs at the pool-in busy season you would have little chance of getting a chair
The bathrooms in the room are terrible for families, definitely bring something so that you can hang up a sheet so that you can get dressed somewhere in private (the tiny closet that the toilet is in could work, but it will be a tight squeeze) and to block the shower
The beds are also weird for families (two beds pushed together)

We were in building 1, 2nd floor. I really liked the location. It was near the Ibiza chillout pool, but a quick walk to the pool and beach and a quick walk to the lobby. I would recommend buildings 1 or 4. The first night we were there it poured all night long. We also had no power all night long. I woke up and had to use the wall to feel my way to the bathroom. My husband called the front desk and was told that he should check the breaker. Umm, it was pitch black in our room...anyway, he managed to find his cellphone to get some light and then he went outside and could tell that our whole building's power was out. I understand that this is something that could happen, but for them not to be helpful about it was disappointing. Even if they didn't know that our whole building was out, they should have offered to send maintenance to check it out. Luckily the weather was ok because we had no a/c either. We just opened the curtain for the patio door so some light would shine in and we wouldn't break our faces going to the bathroom. We didn't let it bother us because it could happen anywhere!

We called for a remote for our TV and was told one would be brought up and it never came. We weren't given any washcloths one day and no towels the next.

Be aware that men are not required to wear pants here for the restaurants - which could be a plus! The Italian restaurant was GREAT! The Steakhouse was ok. We didn't try the others. The buffets are nice.

The Riu team members try so hard to get people involved in activities and they did have some fun ones. We didn't catch any of the nightly shows.

Overall, this is not a terrible resort, but I think there are better options out there for the price and we will stick to the Iberostars.

Room Tip: Building 1 or 4
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank iheartplaya
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

As the title of the review suggests my husband and I have just returned from our first visit to the Riu Yucatan, where we had the most amazing two week holiday. I can only base this on the experience we had as some facilities we didn't use during our stay.

My husband and I always stay in 4*+ or 5* AI hotels. Having visited places such as Egypt, Turkey and Greece in the past we decided to go long haul this year. We travelled from Manchester on the Thomson Dreamliner; this in itself was an excellent start to the holiday. The transfer took about 50mins on a nice air conditioned coach. We arrived at the Yucatan late afternoon. The hotel doesn't look much from the roadside however we were welcomed into reception, which is very bright, contemporary and very appealing. The receptionists were very friendly and we whizzed through the check in process and found our room. We were in 1405: a ground floor double room in the new block, right by the Chill Out Pool where the tennis courts used to be.

The room itself was bright and airy; a good size just what we needed to shower, change and sleep in. The room has plenty of plug sockets (we usually take a double plug to give us more but we didn't need it), a large, well stocked, cold fridge (with freezer compartment), a plasma TV, alarm clock, telephone, hairdryer, an ironing board and iron, and optics of gin, rum, tequila and vodka. There is plenty of wardrobe and drawer space (with plenty of hangers) for hanging clothes, with a safe in the wardrobe. My own hair dryer didn't have enough power due to the voltage, but the one provided in the bathroom is more than adequate (I have very long, thick curly hair which I blow dry straight, and this did the job!). The room is split into the bedroom area, with a table and chairs, and the bathroom area. The toilet and shower are separate and yes the shower door is see-through. For a couple this is not a problem, plus there is a glass blocked wall between the bedroom and bathroom. Putting a towel over the door would surely alleviate any issues. There is an ice bucket in the room which can be filled by the ice machines which are located on the ground floor of every block.

The food has been the best food we have had in any AI hotel we have been to. The main buffet restaurant is large and contemporary. It can 'feel' busy although were always tables, however we found sitting in the 'outdoor' section gave a nicer dining experience. There was a massive variety of foods. At each station there was something different. Every nationality was catered for. Breakfast had pastries, continental, smoothies, hot breakfast how the Mexicans like it, how the English and Americans like it. There was hot milk, room temperature milk and cold milk- I couldn't think of anything else we could possibly want! Lunch was served in the beach restaurant or the Italian. We always went to the beach restaurant. Again the variety was excellent with a plethora of foods and drink...and ice cream. Again, dinner is excellent with a different theme each night. My husband is a fussy eater and never struggled to find something to eat each night. We found it not to be repetitive either. We tried two other restaurants, the Asian and the Steakhouse. You need to queue for these by the shop in reception at about 7am the morning you want to go. The Asian is a buffet restaurant and the food is excellent! We visited here twice. The steakhouse on the beachfront was a la carte and we found the steak to be excellent. We would highly recommend both. The service in the restaurants is outstanding. The waiters are quick to clear tables and top up drinks. Having said that, in the beach restaurant at lunch they only clear plates. I know it's hard work (?!)) but you need to get your own drinks! Whilst all the waiters (and all other staff for that matter) work hard to provide the best possible service we found Fabiola (who waited in the outside area during dinner) was outstanding. She was cheerful, welcoming and never let our glass get even below half.

The bars were great serving a variety of different drinks, both local and International brands, great cocktails and wine (the red wine at least, I didn't try the white) was of an unusually good standard. In terms of the entertainment team we didn't venture down to the big pool during the day so cannot comment on the entertainment during the day (it did look fun though as we walked passed) however we did watch some shows in the evening. They had clearly put a lot of effort into the production, but weren't quite Las Vegas standard! The band which played before and after the main show was good.

We stayed around the Chill Out pool during the day where you could find a sunbed at any time of the day- there was no need to get up early at this pool to reserve beds (which was necessary at the other pool). A tip though would be to get a bed under the pulley sunshades. This means that if it does rain (and boy it can rain!) then you can stay dry whilst it passes. This pool has a great bar area, toilets and very shallow pool were you can sit when it gets too hot. The pool can get more 'bath' like in the afternoon when it's hot.

There is a small shop on site which has a small behind the till chemist, which is very handy and fairly reasonably priced too. My husband used the gym which he said was adequate.

We did two trips through Thomson: Chichen Itza and the Platinum Dolphin Swim at Xel Ha. Although slightly more expensive than other companies the service and quality of both trips were outstanding and we would recommend them both.

The weather during our stay was excellent: very hot (hotter than we anticipated and weather reports before we went suggested) and during our two week stay we had one morning of rain and one morning of the most incredible thunder storm. Both days the weather cleared by early afternoon. On some evenings/ nights it did rain quite heavily but was then clear by the morning.

And now to the inevitable...the mosquitos! I rarely ever get bitten in other countries but did here. They are everywhere, even in your room. We had plugs in our room and sprayed ourselves with English and the Mexican 'OFF' spray before we went out but we still got bitten. For the first day or so it can get to you, however it becomes bearable. Use all the protection you can, put a towel under your door and take plenty of anti histamine cream with you!! They sell bands which apparently help a little. They are annoying but they most certainly didn't ruin or come close to ruining our holiday.

All in all we had a great stay at the Yucatan, we felt well looked after in a great hotel and would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family. We don't tend to revisit the same hotel however this would be a hotel that we would definitely consider doing so. Definitely worth a visit!!

• Stayed August 2013
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
#41 of 210 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
Hotel Riu Palace Mexico
#28 of 210 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Hotel Riu Yucatan? Share your experiences!