Three of my girlfriends and I booked an all-inclusive stay at the Riu Yucatan through CheapCaribbean.com. We were looking for a relaxing vacation, and that's exactly what we got! We spent most of our time at the beach, which was beautiful and clean, and we never had a problem finding chairs throughout the day. We also took advantage of the swim-up bars in the nearby pool area. However, if you are looking for a little more adventure, there are also representatives from different tour companies in the lobby, as well as people on the beach, offering a variety of activities (snorkeling, swimming with dolphins, etc.).
The resort has two buffets and three restaurants that require reservations for dinner, Shanghai (an Asian buffet), a steakhouse and a Mexican option. Overall, the food was fine, but it had a mass-produced, industrial quality, even at the restaurants (choose the steakhouse or the Mexican place over Shanghai). I was also a little disappointed with the drink selection: the only beer available was Dos Equis, and the cocktails tasted artificial. Breakfast was the best meal of the day, with fresh tropical fruit juices and handmade doughnuts.
Overall, we had a great, relaxing experience at the Riu Yucatan. The rooms were clean and came with fully-stocked fridges and liquor dispensers. All of the staff members were friendly and spoke English very well. That said, you may have to go to a different resort (you can walk or take a shuttle to the surrounding Riu properties) or into the towns of Playa del Carmen or Cancun for other activities like shopping, clubbing, etc. Just don't forget the sunscreen!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located in the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km/ 1.9 Miles from Playa del Carmen * In Playacar's resort area, along with the Riu Palace Mexico, Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Playacar and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * Main building and 2-storey buildings * Mexican "Hacienda" style architecture * Surrounded by 40,000 m2/44,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Next to the Mexican Street * 800 m/2,650 ft. From various shops * 55 km/34 miles from Cancun Int'l. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Yucatan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Yucatan Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan Mexico
- Rui Yucatan
- Hotel Riu Yucatan Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico