My wife and I have returned to this resort for the last 12 years. The place has changed a little by adding more swimming area and the addition of two theater bars, probably 7 years ago. They are preparing to do a 3 month remodeling that will include another pool, rearrangement of the lobby and buffet, and sprucing up the rooms a bit. The beach was perfect 12 years ago, then it was gone for a couple of years, now it's back to almost perfect. We really like the facilities, but the big draw for us are the workers who we have made friends with over the years-Israel, Juverly, Benito, Eduardo, Roger, Beatrice, Naomi, etc.
We had a problem with our travel agency this past visit and two girls at the front desk (Carolina and Nadia) spent hours on the phone, trying to remedy the problem. It was not their job to do so, but its just the quality of people that Riu hires. We have never had anything missing from our room, even though at times we have left money on the dresser. The maids will not take tip money unless it is left on a pillow. We tip 2 or 3 dollars a day, plus whatever small Mexican coins we have.
There were plenty of beach chairs, and they have started to bring chairs to wherever you want to sit. Always before, we had to go find and drag our own. The chair hogs still selfishly put there towels around the pool chairs, then wander out around noon to use them for a few hours.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 24h All Inclusive Hotel Riu Yucatan opens all year round and is located directly on the beautiful Playa del Carmen. The RIU Classic Hotels offer comfortable rooms and excellent facilities with great leisure and relaxation facilities, as well as international gastronomy. Enjoy a relaxing holiday - whether alone, with family, partner or friends! The location is ideal because of its proximity to Cancun Airport CUN (55km), Cancún city (60 km) and invites you to explore the area. The hotel has 507 comfortably furnished rooms and offers many amenities. Relax in our spa or get in shape at the gym. 4 outdoor pools, 1 children's pool. For the youngest guests, there is the RiuLand Kids Club (ages 4-7 & 8-12 years) and for adults, day and evening entertainment. For lovers of gastronomy, we offer live cooking stations at our main restaurant, Asian, Mexican, Italian specialty restaurants, Steakhouse, and 5 bars. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Hotel Riu Yucatan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Yucatan Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan Mexico
- Rui Yucatan
- Hotel Riu Yucatan Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico