“Excellent service, but we expected more from Riu”
Review of Hotel Riu Yucatan

Hotel Riu Yucatan
Ranked #60 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Elmhurst, Illinois
“Excellent service, but we expected more from Riu”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We traveled to the Riu Yucatan Playacar for a quick getaway in January 2013 which was a wonderful break from the Chicago winter. While we enjoyed our time away and have had great experiences with the Riu chain, I don’t know that we would return to the Riu Yucatan Playacar in the future.

What we liked about the resort:

Service - The service was EXCELLENT. We were very impressed with every employee we encountered. This is truly where the Riu chain excels.
Beach - The beach is absolutely gorgeous. The sand is so soft and the water was warmer than the pool. It was crystal clear.
Spa - The spa was nice and the services I received were fabulous.

What really needs improvement:

Food - The food was mediocre at best. After our first dinner at the hotel we decided to take a taxi into Playa del Carmen each night for dinner. While this was very enjoyable and the food was great, it was an additional cost that we had not expected.
Chair hogs – trying to get a chair after 8:30am was close to impossible. I just don’t understand how people can just ignore the rules. There are a lot of mature trees around the pool so it was hard to get loungers by the pool in the sun. After the first day we went straight to the beach for the day (which was really nice).
Restocking the in-room refrigerator – having the refrigerator in the room is a wonderful option, but refilling it every two days is unacceptable. This should be a daily addition. We found that we quickly ran out of water each day.
Pool temperature – the water was freezing cold. While I am sure that a pool heater would not be needed all year long, it sure would be a nice addition during the winter months.
Alcohol options – for a four star resort, we expected to have a better quality alcohol selection.
Our bed – instead of having a king size bed we had two full beds that were pushed together, just plain annoying.

We understand that the hotel will be renovated soon, so hopefully they will address some of these issues during this down time.

Room Tip: Request a room closer away from the stage area if you like to go to bed early, otherwise you will de...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gordo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,052)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
manchester
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We are a couple (59) went for 2 weeks up to 5th Mar 2013. We really enjoyed our stay at this lovely hotel and almost gave 5/5. The staff, restaurant ,cleaning ,bar staff,reception, the boys looking after the loungers and the animation team could not have worked harder and were always pleasant and helpful. We had a couple of minor problems with our room which were sorted out inmmediately and the reception phoned us to check we were happy.Our holiday rep (Thomsons) excellent too.
No problem getting wine in the restaurant, quick service or if you prefer help yourself from taps. Red wine I thought very good. Rest of the drinks , apart from the beer (my problem I only like European beer) were excellent, brandy particularly so. Cocktails fine, mojitos and chocalate martini my faves.
Food excellent lots of variety.Enjoyed all the restaurants (one night almost ruined by drunken shouting from one table, should have been asked to leave, the waiter apologised to us after what passed for a chimps tea party had left, this was very much a one-off). Different atmosphere in each restaurant meant each night different. My only problem I was often full from lunch.
A beautiful long beach about 20 mins or so walk to P. del Carmen. Possible to get bus from there to Cancun or ferry to Cozumel.
Possible to use the facilities of 2other nearby hotels plus if needed 2 in Cancun.
Lovely gardens and lots of wildlife, monkeys galore.
I thought the entertainment at night was good we did not get bored at all. Mariachi show fabulous, A GREAT SINGER. Most of the shows were dance routine based but there were also live bands and a singer on and a lively beach party one night for a change. Best of all NEVER a problem getting served.
My only problem here was with the behaviour of some of the guests. A minority of the US /Canadian guests seemed obsessed with shouting and whooping at the bars. Why this fake "look at me I'm drunk" should have irritated me I don't know but it did.
My advice to the hotel please No Smoking in the reception area, and everyone drink out of the glasses/ cups provided by the hotel, no need for gluttons to be walking around with huge flasks brought from home.
We asked for a quiet high floor room which we got, the room was fine though they are to be upgraded.Overall very good value, very good staff.
I am not really a snob and got on really well with lots of people from all over the world, good chats with some ladies (and a guy) from Minnesota, met a lovely Candian couple and enjoyed International aqua aerobics.

Room Tip: The higher block numbers are very quiet and peaceful
9 Thank chrisngail
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Went for two weeks from Feb18th. Third time all inclusive in Mexico, second time to a Riu Hotel and first time to Playacar.
The hotel overall is fine, it is kept very clean and tidy and the work ethic of the staff in maintaining it this way cannot be faulted in any way, they are always cleaning and tidying up. The staff were wonderful, cheerful and very freindly. The room we had was 9319 and as we had requested by e-mail in advance was a very quiet room and on an upper floor. In truth not many rooms have much of a view other than the tops of trees. It was very clean and well provisioned but was ready for a make over which, of course, is planned for this hotel.
The grounds are good and well maintained and the wild life entertaining.
The swimming pool gets very busy and lounger saving not long after dawn seems to be the norm. However we always prefer the beach and around 8.00/9.00 had no trouble getting sunbeds.The beach did get busier later on but I think it would be rare not to find any room.However if you turn up at say 11.00 you are not going to be in prime position.
The food overall was very good and in keeping with class of hotel and good value for the money. We preferred the buffet simply for the choice and variety available. Loads of fresh salads and a good range of hot dishes.Only grumble would be all the meat dishes were overcooked for my liking.If you like you meat rare/pink forget it.We also liked the Asian buffet but in truth were disappointed with both the steakhouse( limited choice and pretty average steak) and the mexican( better choice but the maincourse fajitas were the most blaned and tasteless fajitas I have ever had).
Great servive in the restaurant and we sat most eveings on the terrace outside and were very impressed by the service especially from Leo and all his team.
The bar service was in the main very good and Israel was exceptional. Ask for brand name drinks at all time and you wont be disappointed.However the "Baileys" was awful!
One real disappointment was the entertainment which seemed very repetitive in the team dancing to taped songs in the format of a show.Whilst the name of the show changed and the songs changed the danced routines merged into one.However plenty of people seemed to enjoy this and perhaps it was just us. One evening we were really enjoying a live lady singer only for her spot to be cut short for the show to start playing taped music to a dance routine I could have sworn I had seen before.Suggest more live bands/entertainment and keep the dancing shows to a couple of times a week.
Overall we enjoyed our stay but probably would not return. The downside was even being on the beach you could not avoid the music coming from the pool area. There are no quiet areas to sit and sunbathe and whilst the receptionist told us the second pool was a quiet pool this is a nonsence as it is only a few yards away from the activities pool. We were also unimpressed with the antics of some of the other visitors ( early spring breakers?) drunk at 5.00pm very loud and simply a pain! On a number of evenings we walked to the RIU Tequila over the road which was much quiter and if we went again would probably choose this rather than the Yucatan.
The hotel is in a good location the quality of the beach is great and the sea if very clean. Depending on the wind it can get quite rough and a strong current to watch out for.
Good value for money, very clean, lovely staff who work very hard.

Room Tip: Block 9 is very quiet. Blocks near the pool/entertainment area will be noisy in the evenings.
10 Thank jcw357
Fergus Falls
Reviewed March 12, 2013

My wife and I went to the Riu Yucatan on Feb. 25, 2013 for a week.
Check in went well, and our room was almost ready, even though we got there at about noon. We grabbed lunch and then went to our room.

The room was much smaller than the one we'd had at Riu Palace Las Americas in Cancun. We were in building #6, which is about as close to the ocean and pool area as you can get. Our view was out to a sidewalk. Almost none of the rooms have an ocean view, as the buildings are set back and there is the pool and bar areas before you get to the beach. We were the closest building to the pavilion where the nightly entertainment was, but only one night did we hear it, and it was over by 10:30.

The room was kind of musty smelling, and when we got home everything had be washed...even our suitcases still smell. The rooms were kept clean, and though they were somewhat dated, they were ok. The septic system must have vents in the area of building #5 & #6 because the smell was terrible at times...it must depend a lot on the wind, or lack of it.

The staff throughout was very friendly.

I choose Riu because of the "included" sail boats, kayaks, and other activities. On our first two days beach staff wouldn't let anyone take out the sail boats because it was too windy (it wasn't that bad, if you were experienced), and other resorts were letting their sail boats out.
Then, when the winds died down they had other excuses, like: "the waves are too big," even though other resorts had their sailboats out again. I finally had to talk to a "boss" who gave the ok. Then they only gave you 1-hour, even though no one else was waiting (they have three Hobie Wave catamaran sailboats). That was frustrating...it seemed they just didn't want to have to rig the boat and drag it to the waterline! Although, you could ALWAYS take out the jet skis ($$$)!!!

The food was good. The Ala Carte restaurants were good, although the steak at the Steakhouse was tough (though flavorful). We ate at the Asian and Mexican restaurants twice each. The Asian was the best we thought.

If you scuba dive, check out Alberto's Scuba in Playa del Carmen. They were awesome...and I've dove all over the Caribbean! They only take small groups, and their prices were among the best:
$65.00 for a 2-tank ocean dive and $95.00 for two Cenote Dives. The Cenote dives would have cost us $160.00 each through the hotel trip people. PLUS- Alberto's supplies ALL your equipment needs (including wetsuit) at no extra cost. Other places wanted $15 on up!

The Wi-Fi (in the lobby only) was a bit of a challenge to use, but we figured it out with help from the front desk. You only get one connection (90-minute max) each 24-hours. So, if you have a smartphone, tablet or both, connect wisely...you could do one in the AM and one in the PM each day. I was showing I was connected to a service called "TELCEL" and was receiving texts through that service even though I had my cellular data turned off and I was connected to Wi-Fi. The front desk told me I would be getting billed for that...I'm not sure how or why. I guess I'll see when I get my next bill.

We both got bad diarrhea on the last day. And it stayed with us both for 5-days after we got home! Because of our symptoms the doctor said it was likely a bacterial issue...often brought on by poor hand washing during food prep and/or fecal contamination. I didn't like to hear that.

We walked the beach into Playa del Carmen one day. They tell you it's a 20-minute walk...it was all of 40. Then we walked the sidewalk on the way back to look at the other side of all the resorts. That was fun.

Overall it was pretty good. It's hard to be real excited when you come home sick for a week after though.

Room Tip: Buildings 4, 5, 6 are closest to the beach and pools. 1, 2, 3 are right behind them, between the bea...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Timothy B
SD
Reviewed March 10, 2013

This is a mixed review...

Here are the positive aspects: The resort was very clean, the staff were hard workers in trying to please the tourists and very helpful, and the grounds were well kept. The buildings are older but well maintained. The lobby building includes the front desk, gift shop, main dining buffet area, and a bar. The rooms are located in several separate buildings, which contributes to a quiet sleeping environment. There are outdoor bars and restaurants by the pool/beach area, and two swim-up bars. The sand is powdery soft and the water is a beautiful clear aquamarine color. There are lots of activities for those who want to participate. The monkeys in the trees are fun to watch and the coatis on the grounds.

What I didn't like: I wasn't prepared for all the topless sunbathing or all the thongs...by all shapes and sizes. Not much of a family atmosphere and there were very few children. The beach was VERY crowded and not very relaxing. In addition to being elbow to elbow on the sun loungers, there are also lots of people strolling up and down the beach at all times. A neighboring Riu resort without beach access has their guests using this beach. Also, there is nothing I can see that would prevent anyone from the nearby homes or condos from entering as there is a nice covered walkway from the street directly to the beach of this resort. The beach also has volleyball and soccer if you're near the end by the equiptment rentals. PS- the non-motorized water sports that are included in your stay actually cost $35 to take a "lesson" if you want to take the boats out. Also, the pool area was very busy with the "loco" games daily. I couldn't really find a quiet, relaxing spot by the water anywhere. :(

Tips for other travelers: The buffet has extremely good food and enough of a variety to please . We didn't feel the food at the specialty restaurants was any more special than the buffet. Bring a large mug or cup, as they have 8 oz. glasses and you might get thirsty by the beach or the pool. You will need to be in the lobby to use the free internet. You have to wait a full 24 hours to use it again, so be aware of that prior to departure if you're hoping to do online airline check-in. Also, I recommend requesting a mattress topper right away for couples, as the bed is very firm and is 2 queen beds pushed together. You can access the other nearby Riu's by showing your bracelet when you enter. Taxis into Playa del Carmen for shopping are $7 regardless of the number of people in the cab, or you can do the 25 minute walk. We booked our day excursion trips through Anny, with United/Delta vacations who is in the lobby bar area daily 8-10am to be available to customers.

While we had a good time, this was our first trip to Mexico and we prefer the Sandals resort atmosphere we had at Jamaica, due to a less crowded, more relaxing beach/pool environment. That being said, the staff were excellent and the food was very good at this resort, and we met a lot of nice people as the fellow tourists were very friendly.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the ampitheatre area where they hold the evening entertainment. Building 7 n...
4 Thank dwo321
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I went here in September 2011, it was fantastic, the staff were fantastic, the food and choices were fantastic and the beach was beautiful. You can go for a lovely walk outside of the hole, and there is a Starbucks up the road from the hotel.

The entertainment was fantastic, everything was fantastic and one thing I will say, if you go to the steak house, wear loose clothing because you will need the space.

Defo can't wait to return!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank lisat102
United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We are a couple in our late 40s going to Mexico for our Silver Wedding Anniversary, we travelled from Birmingham with Thomson. Unfortunately we were delayed around 45 mins due to technical issues, then had to touch down at Manchester airport for refuelling (the air craft could not take all the fuel needed for long flight at Birmingham) This took another another hour !! The whole flight was in excess of 13.5 hours, drawn out and tiring. We booked exit seats at around £100 per couple, which is £25 each way. Anyone who is thinking of booking the premium seats, forget in my opinion, the seats are uncomfortable according to friends we made. The seats only have about an inch extra in premium etc and you are packed in like sardines. The seats in economy are quite sufficient and about 34 inch leg space. We always fly exit seats and we had more comfort. If you fly Virgin then the premium are really worth the money. Of course the choice is up to you, i can only advise. The drinks and snacks on the flight were ridiculously priced, eg, 2x pringles, 2x crisps and two teas in excess of over £10.....

When we landed at Cancun, the nightmare of hustle and bustle began, very slow getting suitcases off onto the carousel. Once suitcases are received you go through the red or green light, you want to pray you get the green light, if not you have to tip out all your luggage in view of everyone. On the flight you have to fill out two forms, one for the whole family, the other for the exit tax. Remember to keep that teared off piece of paper, we kept in in with the passport. You require this to get out of the country. Once outside in the glorious hot sunshine, the men are at you to take you to the Thomson coach. Of course they want tips. Next time we go, we would do it ourselves, but being worn out, they showed us the way. It is not hard to find. Once on the coach you get a Thomson booklet for the welcome meeting the next day. It takes an hour to get to the Riu Yucatan and it was the first stop. Suitcases off and then we were all ushered into a lovely reception.

The check in was so simple and easy. No need to show passports etc, there were a few of us that got off at the RY, all keys etc, information, a towel card each and a lovely welcome drink took 5 mins. We just needed to fill a card out with name and address that is about it. You are given a room number and it is on your keys to the hotel room. A sticky note with your room number goes on your luggage so the lobby staff can bring it up to you.

I can go on forever on this hotel, but because a lot of reviews on trip advisor are true, i shall break it down, so it is hopefully easier for you to take it in.

Hotel Lobby - Is open plan.

There are two guest telephones next to reception with private door.
You get 1.5 hours of free wifi or, buy a card from next to shop in reception for 200 peso for 24 hours.
Other wifi you buy on your mobile via their web site they give you at reception (more expensive)
You can buy phone cards.
There is one great bar, a fridge next to it for snacks.
two x shops for t shirts, sun creams, holiday gifts.
The lobby is a smoking area, loads of ash trays supplied.
One Main restaurant - great selection, loads of choice. Tips were given every night to our gorgeous fernadao (sp?)
At the back of the main restaurant is the Asian restaurant which is bookable between 0700 until it is full.
There is a female and male toilet in reception.
All reps in the foyer of all nationalities.
Rep boards with trips and return flights.

Every night in the reception/foyer is a theme night, something always going on, eg, Gambling night, games, Mexican and we had a live female singer, lovely voice.
Sofas, tables and ample chairs as well.
With the free wifi, this will only work in reception, whatever time you go online, is the time you go free the next day. If you pay, you can get it in the bedroom, theatre and reception.

The guest rooms, we had 4703

Very quiet and in between reception and the beach bars, the third floor, great view of the jungle.

In the rooms you have the following

Large kingsize bed, very very comfy , not hard.
4 x optics in bathroom, Tequila, Brandy, Vodka and Rum.
Fridge refilled every two days with, beer, large water, soda, and fanta, 7 up etc.
A toilet.
shower built in with shower curtain, always hot
loads of towels
Iron & ironing board in wardrobe
Old style safe fixed to the floor in wardrobe with safe key you need to keep with you.
Ancient CRT TV with minimal stations for British guests.
Chest of drawers large
Bed side cabinets either side of bed.
Table and chair in room.
Very large balcony
Fixed inside patio door is a mosquito mesh door, so you can keep it open at night as protected by the mesh, so no mossies at night in your room.
Air con fantastic, easy to use.
2x plastic chairs and table on the balcony, also a small clothes dryer outside. If you want to have your clothes washed, then that service is available.
Blankets if it gets cold in the wardrobe.

Jungle Setting.

12 Monkeys, quite noisy
Guinea pig/rabbit like creatures
Racoons
Birds
and a resident cat !

Down by the Sea

3 x pool bars , it does get very noisey around the pools, day and night.
Theatre - great shows grease, Michael Jackson, Mayan show, Mexican show, they are lovely. The entertainment team work non stop and it shows, always smiling and get the crowd going. There are toilets at the side of the theatre.
Kiosk to pick your beach towels
Restaurant that doubles up as the steak house at night opens for snacks at mid day
Behind the steak house is the Mexican restaurant with a toilet
From behind the mexican you can pick up the free buggy cart and go to neighbouring Tequila and playacar hotels.
No beach bar/toilet
Beach is turquoise, and soft sand, gorgeous, plenty of beds etc

To Reach Playa del Carmen by Beach.

Go down the steps to the beach, once on beach head left and walk as far as the ferries to Cozumel, or when you see the bar "Senior Frogs" This is the longest way and can take up to an hour depending on your walking speed. This then starts up an array of shops from tack to designer. If you want CoCo Bongos then that is situated on 12th street at the left side end.

Outside the front of the hotel.

Follow car park around you will find,
A few shops
a pharmacy
Doctors clinic
If you need the Doctor, reception said they charge $100, but she doesn't unless you need to go to the hospital, you will need dosh though if you need the pharmacy after the doctor has given you a prescription. Meds are expensive all over PDC or Playacar, £7.50 for 50 paracetamols for example. If you get migraines do not hesitate to see the Doctor, mine got that bad and the migraines are due to the low sea altitude, it was very high and i needed BP tablets, i was in agony, but they worked and i have claimed my money back from the insurance company.

Outside the hotel from the front.

Under the arch at the end of the car park, turn right, over the road, maybe 3 mins you can try out with your wrist band the Riu Tequila, nice hotel, similar layout but food is not as good nor the choice, you can use this hotel as you wish all day except for dinner at night. THE playacar plaza with an array of shops is just past the Tequila. Over the road again RY side, walk for about 8 mins then you reach Playacar hotel, also similar but a lot quieter than the other two. Never ate or drank there.
Carry on past the Playacar for 30 mins you will pass on the same side ruins as you walk into Playa del Carmen, a lovely walk and you get shade where you do not on the beach. Takes roughly 30 mins at a gentle pace, or £3.50 (70 Pesos) in a cab. If you want a cab, do not pay cab prices on campus, haggle outside they are cheaper.

Departure Tax

You can pay in several currencies

800 peso per person including children
$65 per person
£45 British pound

My advice pay in peso it works out cheaper.

Trips at the plaza

We booked at the travel agency it is called Maya Tours next to Starbucks, they show you what your trip entails on a huge lap top, very reasonable, we did Tulum, Coba Ruins had lunch, went to the Mayan villages and went to Akumel beach at the end to swim with turtles in the sea. Trip pick up 0730 and back by 5pm. You do a lot, the tour guide was fabulous, lunch which was great was all included plus beer, and water, soft drinks all free in a small mini bus. You have the choice around coba of free bikes or you can travel for a quid on a tuk tuk style bike which was great fun. I wouldn't advise at the plaza to use the kiosks, you will be with different nationalities and you do not get get the personal touch. They certainly have mixed reviews from other guests we have spoke to.

Reports of illness.

One report on trip advisor said there was a sickness bug going around . We were there the same time and did not see or hear anything.

Stealing

we locked everything away in the safe, not one thing went from our hotel room, we were happy with all the great staff, house keepers etc, and left tips every day and came back to flowers, and towel art. Safe keys have ribbon on, so you could walk around with it around your neck?

Thomson Reps

We had Lindsey and Miquel, they live in the hotel and so therefore they keep good times for you to see. A very good welcome meeting, very knowledgable except for not mentioning about the clinic ! There trips are way way to expensive, you see for yourselves, go elsewhere they are same trips but double the price.

I would like to say we had a great time and met some fantastic holiday friends, so hi to the Speedys (Ruth, Brian and little Elliott) our friends from Cornwall ( Julie and Ralph), Madge from Benidorm ( Great Yarmouth), our canadian friends and everyone else from my Benidorm crew.

The hotel is closing for 3 months, the tennis courts are going, a pool in its place and bar, the lobby being upgraded and the rooms. Also a new restaurant in reception is being built. I do hope they do not spoil the Mexican feel to it. We heard the Playacar hotel is being knocked down, but do not quote me on that its hearsay.

We would love to go back and we will sometime after the refit.
You will not be disappointed, you will not get a friendlier hotel.

Michelle & Sam UK

Room Tip: 4703 in between restaurant and swimming pool, jungle view and quiet, top floor.
16 Thank Derwentrocker
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 8,323 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Yucatan? Share your experiences!