We traveled to the Riu Yucatan Playacar for a quick getaway in January 2013 which was a wonderful break from the Chicago winter. While we enjoyed our time away and have had great experiences with the Riu chain, I don’t know that we would return to the Riu Yucatan Playacar in the future.
What we liked about the resort:
Service - The service was EXCELLENT. We were very impressed with every employee we encountered. This is truly where the Riu chain excels.
Beach - The beach is absolutely gorgeous. The sand is so soft and the water was warmer than the pool. It was crystal clear.
Spa - The spa was nice and the services I received were fabulous.
What really needs improvement:
Food - The food was mediocre at best. After our first dinner at the hotel we decided to take a taxi into Playa del Carmen each night for dinner. While this was very enjoyable and the food was great, it was an additional cost that we had not expected.
Chair hogs – trying to get a chair after 8:30am was close to impossible. I just don’t understand how people can just ignore the rules. There are a lot of mature trees around the pool so it was hard to get loungers by the pool in the sun. After the first day we went straight to the beach for the day (which was really nice).
Restocking the in-room refrigerator – having the refrigerator in the room is a wonderful option, but refilling it every two days is unacceptable. This should be a daily addition. We found that we quickly ran out of water each day.
Pool temperature – the water was freezing cold. While I am sure that a pool heater would not be needed all year long, it sure would be a nice addition during the winter months.
Alcohol options – for a four star resort, we expected to have a better quality alcohol selection.
Our bed – instead of having a king size bed we had two full beds that were pushed together, just plain annoying.
We understand that the hotel will be renovated soon, so hopefully they will address some of these issues during this down time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located in the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km/ 1.9 Miles from Playa del Carmen * In Playacar's resort area, along with the Riu Palace Mexico, Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Playacar and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * Main building and 2-storey buildings * Mexican "Hacienda" style architecture * Surrounded by 40,000 m2/44,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Next to the Mexican Street * 800 m/2,650 ft. From various shops * 55 km/34 miles from Cancun Int'l. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Yucatan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Yucatan Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan Mexico
- Rui Yucatan
- Hotel Riu Yucatan Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico