“Riu Yucatan”
Review of Hotel Riu Yucatan

Hotel Riu Yucatan
Ranked #65 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed December 28, 2012

The Riu Yucatan is a very nice hotel, situated in the Playacar section of Playa Del Carmen. I mention this because the Playacar section of Playa Del Carmen, is a gated and secured resort community, which only serves to enhance the appeal of the hotel. You are tucked away in a gated community and not subject to peddlers every time you walk off property.

I have stayed at several other Riu resorts, so I sort of knew what to expect going in, and I was not disappointed. The resort is large, and rather spread out, so you never feel "on top of" one and another. The food was very good, and plentiful, with loads of variety -- I don't think that I ate the same thing twice in the two weeks I was there. The drinks were well made, not to weak, not to strong, and best of all they were plentiful and easy to get with no wait.

I cannot say enough nice things about the staff at the hotel, check in was quick and easy, my room was always clean, my mini bar always fully stocked, and when the time came, check out was quick and easy too. As good as the rest of the staff was, the bar and animation staff were even better, the animation staff got to know your name, and what activities you enjoyed, and did their best to get you involved and having fun. The bar staff would get to know your name, favorite drink, and strike up conversation and get everyone talking and having a good time.

The grounds were beautifully set, and well maintained with a true tropical feel, while the buildings seemed to blend into the backdrop. The rooms were a little dated, as was the decor in the lobby and main restaurant, but this really didn't bother me. I herd the place is to receive a remodel in the spring, so I am sure the place will get all "spruced up" for my trip back next winter.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank mikedoughty1
Write a ReviewReviews (6,101)

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Yukatan hotel is very clean, sheets changed every 2 days , towels daily,a row of optics in your room and drinks replaced often.
Staff very helpful,any problems in your room are dealt with immediately.
A wide variety of food with lots of seafood, (my favorite) we tried all the A la Cart'e restaurants and they were all very good.no one needs to go hungry.
Lots of free beach sports which you don't get very often in some places but sometimes quite noisy in the afternoons whilst trying to relax on the beach, the sea was beautifully warm, and i could feed the fish which came right up to you.after the beach you can drink cocktails before going to your rooms to change,
we did use the pool and the pool bars were very good,with good shaded umbrella's, which were lacking on the beach, they should provide some there as it can get very hot during the day.
Evenings were quite casual,but no quiet bar to relax in, it was quite noisy as there were lots of people there. i would prefer a smaller hotel where its more personal, the entertainment was very noisy and every evening they gave out awards that had been won during the day, this took up half the evening so the shows were only on for an hour, quite good shows but a bit reppetative, dancers almost every night, so a bit boring doing the same thing every night,we went to the Riu Tequila one night but it was just the same there.
We did a couple of boat trips, ferry to Cozumel, a lovely Island, and another to snorkel on the reef,onto an uninhabited island,just birds there,then to another island with lots of little shops, it rained all day, only 2 days a year when it rains and we picked one of them!!!!
I would definitely return to Mexico but would stay at a smaller hotel next time.
We were a group of nine ages ranging from 36 to 74.
I would not pay the extra £199.95 for the premium seating with Thomson's, the seats were no wider than economy,but did have 3 inches more leg room, no footrests and the seats didn't recline any further, the food was supposed to be better but we didn't think so, we did get free drinks but don't drink that much. we did have a fleece blanket and a pillow, wow!!!. the seats we booked we didn't get either way.so not worth the extra.

Room Tip: Hotel rooms are situated in blocks 3 stories high. no lifts,our room was 4107, ground floor and was...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank vicki06
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Have been traveling to Riviera Maya for the last 5 years and have stayed primarily with the Bahia Principe, Barcelo and Palladium chains. Two years ago we stayed at the Tequila and it was not bad.Stayed at the Yucatan for a week December 18th.
This is a very tired property, at best a 3 and and a half star property and nowhwere near the five star it claims to be when you compare amenities and offerings to what others in similar range are offering. The only five star about this property is the location and the beautiful beach.
You still walk around with room keys wrapped around a six inch gizmo with your room number on it and the key itself, no electronic card entry system here. The TV in the room is a 19 inch old Zenith. a throwback from 1997 which had to be replaced once in our case.
Rooms are very tired and small, a small shower is available with no bath tub.
They have a cheap shampoo dispenser which also doubles as your soap which when you press a little too hard falls apart. Ours fell apart on at least three occassions during our stay. Last I checked 5 stars provide you with all sorts of room amenities.
The food in the buffet restaurant is again average, the breakfast selection being the worst of any of the hotels we have stayed at Riviera Maya. The animation/entertainment team needs a lot of work, not the greatest.
Again just my opinion, but as there are other properties in the same price range that are far better, I would not return to this property.

9  Thank migguel
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Since I have always relied heavily on TripAdvisor reviews, you can rest assure that I truly mean what I write for this review! My family (mom, dad, sister, brother-in-law, and my 14 yr old son) and I arrived at Riu Yucatan on December 19th and were immediately impressed with the fabulous staff at the front desk. Everything was set up for us quickly and easily, and we were on our way to having the time of our lives! Between the entire staff (always so cheerful and nice, friendly, and so entertaining), the food (we all loved the buffet, the Steakhouse, and the Mexican restaurant, and some of us are picky eaters!), the variety of extra activities to choose from, the layout of the resort, the drinks, the scenery and wildlife, the pools, and the beach, this vacation was PERFECT. The only bad thing about this trip was having to go home!

4  Thank US_Mexi-Kim
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Overall Great Hotel
Staff - The staff spoke English and were very attentive...Management were available and approachable
Supper - The Asian "a la carte" was excellent and easy to get into...Buffet was good
Lunch - Best to wait for the lobby restaurant at 1 PM instead of the the beach restaurants...way better.
Beach - Beach was good (lots of sand, no rocks) but better to go towards the Palace side...less fumes from Jet skis and boats...not much to see in the way of snorkeling...Always a few lounges left at the beach...even at 10 or 11 am...no annoying loud music or overly zealous staff in the mic...very peaceful.
Rooms - Had everything you needed..flat screen would be nice...get the foam topper if you don't like the bed too hard...mini bar filled every second day...leave a note and tip in the fridge if you want extra of anything (for day trips and stuff)
Wildlife - The monkeys are awesome...but they do bite so let someone else feed them and get your camera ready...and keep your comments to yourself about not feeding them...nobody likes a busybody know-it-all, including the monkeys.

In conclusion - Yucatan is a great hotel in the typical Riu fashion...that being said it is getting a reno this summer so if you can get into the Palace next door(just finished a huge reno and better food) for about the same price do it...it was about $20.00 a day more when we booked but we wanted the savings as we spend a lot of time in town and down in Tulum anyway. Don't be tempted by the price of the Lupita, way too far from everything...or the Tequila, pain in the butt to get to the beach and idiota Animation Team...their rep is bad even with the staff at the other Riu hotels in PDC

Room Tip: Building 3 is super quiet and good location in the middle between the main lobby and the pool...if y...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank heavyd67
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We stayed for 2 weeks in Dec for my birthday. As other reviews I agree the bedrooms were not up to scratch but the dining rooms, outside areas, bars and terraces were all excellent. All the staff from the barstaff, restaurant staff, glass collectors to the animation team were all lovely, they work long hours but were all smiling and happy all of the time, how do they do it they are marvellous and made our holiday. The dancers in the nightly shows, some of whom were the animation staff were excellent. The beach was clean with plenty of sunbeds but you have to get up early to get one by the pools. The only criticism I have is that although the hotel has a policy of not reserving sunbeds this is not adhered to. Towels were put out early as we got up around 7.30 most days and already half of the beds had been bagged. Also it would have been nice to have sparkling wine but this wasnt available although the sister hotel did serve it. Having said that all the drinks were plentiful so its not an issue as we were having cocktails most days. The food is varied and good with something for everyone. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: our room was quite close to the outside bars and was quite noisy
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Plettie
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Good Points no staff expect tips .very clean. always easy to get to the bar , they are very attentive. Lovely people , great wild life , good choice of food. Bad points did have an upset tummy for the 2 weeks i was there, cockroaches and smell of drains as well as mossies filled my room from day one staff were quick to come up but couldnt do much other than spray air freshner and fly killer? . Entertainment terrable felt like ground hog day Nardia very rude insulted me and made my daughter cry and she supposed to be part of the entertainment ? come on guys give the job to someone who wants it.
Resturants poor lack of choice better off with buffet.
all in all we did have a good holliday but did need to point out the above .

Room Tip: dont get room 2218 unless you like cockroaches and smell of drains 24/7
1  Thank princessbobo123