Stayed at the Riu Yucatan for 10 nights in October 2012 and had a really good time there. This is the 5th Riu Hotel that I have stayed in and it met with all my expectations. Having said that, I have to agree with other contributors about " a lick of paint" being required. I have been reliably informed that this will be remedied in 2013.
The location of the hotel is excellent, it is set on a beautiful beach and only a short hop into Playa del Carmen. The only negative is that none of the rooms have either a pool or sea view. As a result of this, very few people use the verandah /patio for anything except drying beach wear.
The only problems that we encountered were down to Thomson and not the hotel management.
(1) They ran out of immigration cards on the flight out, so we were given one in Spanish as we left the aircraft. Because of the time spent due to the difficulty we had in filling this in, we were delayed getting into the queue for immigration etc. As we walked down the stairs another flight had just arrived and we were at the back of the queue. Cutting a long story short this meant that by the time that we got out of the airport the Thomson coach had left without us and no one was at the Thomson stand to meet us or sort this situation out. After much searching we found an English girl from another tour company who had the mobile number of the Thomson Rep. When he finally arrived he informed us that we could get on the next coach for the next Thomson flight that would be arriving in around an hour. Needless to say this was the point where I lost my cool and demanded a private taxi to the hotel, this was at first refused but as I got more and more agitated my demands were eventually met.
(2) We were informed by Thomson 2 weeks before the holiday that "some interior renovation" was being carried out on the hotel next door but that we would be accommodated away from this. Absolute rubbish !
The hotel reception staff were very understanding and some of our friends were relocated the next day. My wife and I decided that we could not be bothered to pack everything up again and stayed where we were, but spent as little time in the room as possible.
(3) On the flight back home a block of around 10 seats in our vicinity had no TV facility or reading light. The cabin crew tried everything within their power to restore it without success but unfortunately it still meant a 9 hour flight home seemed twice as long. Furthermore the second "meal" that we received was inedible it consisted of a stale bun and cheese and crackers served with half a cup of tea or coffee.
This was not a cheap holiday and I expected better service from the tour operator.
Anyway, this did not stop us from having a really good holiday and it wont deter me from staying at this or any other Riu hotel again as the service is second to none.
Whether we travel with Thomson again has yet to be decided.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located in the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km/ 1.9 Miles from Playa del Carmen * In Playacar's resort area, along with the Riu Palace Mexico, Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Playacar and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * Main building and 2-storey buildings * Mexican "Hacienda" style architecture * Surrounded by 40,000 m2/44,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Next to the Mexican Street * 800 m/2,650 ft. From various shops * 55 km/34 miles from Cancun Int'l. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets and Despegar.com so you can book your Hotel Riu Yucatan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Yucatan Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan Mexico
- Rui Yucatan
- Hotel Riu Yucatan Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico