My husband and I stayed at the beautiful Riu Yucatan October 26-November 2, 2012. This was our 6th stay at the resort. We last stayed there in 2008, having stayed regularly, next door, at the Riu Palace Mexico for the past four years. We enjoyed our stay at the Yucatan very much, and I want to take a few minutes to share some of our thoughts. First of all, the bar staff is beyond amazing. Without fail, EVERY bar staff member exceeded our expectations. They are knowledgeable, tolerant, friendly and efficient. We always felt well attended to, even as it compared to our Riu Palace Mexico stays. They are a true treasure for the resort. We found excellent service at the terrace dining area for the main buffet as well. The chefs were friendly and attentive along the buffet line. We did have some inconsistent service in the main buffet and at the Mexican specialty restaurant, but the food was of excellent quality.
The pools were the cleanest and clearest we can remember in recent years. In fact, pool cloudiness and a surface scum had put us off of the Riu Yucatan a bit in recent years. We were thrilled to see that has been corrected.
In addition, we found the relocation of the pool activities to the north side of the walk up bar at the pool an excellent idea! The activities held there were well done and we really enjoyed watching them. They had an excellent choice of music, and they did have quiet hours as well. The Animacion team is outstanding, and the resort is to be congratulated for their efforts. Each morning the team members said good morning to each guest who was poolside at 10 a.m. The effort was well received.
Our room was well cleaned and made up in a very timely manner each day, we were wanting for nothing. Our room was decorated nicely for my husband’s birthday, and we had some lovely towel art.
The grounds are beyond compare, they are lush and green. We saw monkeys in the trees, and the grounds keepers were constantly grooming the vegetation to make sure everything looked perfect.
The beach is beautiful and clean. There are a great number of palms on the beach and the pools have many palapas if you desire shade. But don’t worry, there is plenty of warm Mexican sun to be had as well, if you prefer not to be sheltered under a palm or palapa.
We found the food and drink selection, and entertainment to be great. The grounds and facilities look lovely and lush, much like I remember back before Wilma struck in 2005. My first visit to the Riu Yucatan was in 2001, and I will always sing its praises. The Riu Yucatan is to undergo extensive renovations in 2013, and I have high hopes for how the resort will look when we return! All in all, we had a most excellent time, and look forward to returning again after the renovations are completed!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located in the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km/ 1.9 Miles from Playa del Carmen * In Playacar's resort area, along with the Riu Palace Mexico, Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Playacar and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * Main building and 2-storey buildings * Mexican "Hacienda" style architecture * Surrounded by 40,000 m2/44,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Next to the Mexican Street * 800 m/2,650 ft. From various shops * 55 km/34 miles from Cancun Int'l. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Priceline and Hotwire so you can book your Hotel Riu Yucatan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Yucatan Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan Mexico
- Rui Yucatan
- Hotel Riu Yucatan Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico