Stayed at the Riu Yukatan for 10 days at the end of September/beginning of October and had a great time. There were four people in our group (two couples). We all agreed that we were thorough impressed with the beach. This is the clearest water I’ve seen since St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands. We went in the ocean 9 out of the 10 days. The water was so beautiful…and very calm and clear. Some days I’d bring some bread to feed the fish. They never ran out of towels…and there were always chairs available at the beach and by the pool (though we only went to the pool a few times since the ocean was so beautiful). The staff were all very friendly and helpful….especially Lupita. We found the shows at night were fantastic compared to the other resorts. We especially liked the Michael Jackson show….Marcello is so talented!
I have to mention that there are a lot of mosquitos and if you have an allergy (as I do) you should go prepared. I got 13 bites within the first two days…and didn’t know how I was going to be able to survive the remainder of our trip. When I mentioned it to the front desk they sent someone to spray our room. I also started using my bug spray on a regular basis. When we went to Playa Del Carmen I purchased Benadryl and took one before bedtime every night. Didn’t get another bite for the remainder of the 8 days. Yay!
The food was very good. The only ala carte restaurant we tried was the Asian one. The food was okay. The most impressing thing was the delicious fried ice cream dessert. We ate at the Dining Room for the rest of the meals, and we found it lived up to the Riu standards that we are accustomed to.
We purchased a Calling Card from the machine near the Front Reception Desk for $20. My husband carried it around in his wallet. Still had over $10 left on it when we tried to use it again and noticed that the first 4 digits of the number had rubbed off. Of course, they were the only digits that were actually needed to use the card. And of course, the card company said they couldn’t help us without that number. I guess that’s a money grab for them because most people don’t expect those numbers to rub off that easily. So if you do purchase one, make sure you write those numbers down and store for future reference.
If you are a non-smoker, you will not like the fact that smoking is permitted everywhere on this resort, except the main dining room…and even there you may be exposed to it if you sit near the opened doors to the patio. For some reason the lobby can get especially bad….some days we actually felt nauseated from all the smoke. Unlike the Riu Playacar, at the Riu Yukatan smoking is even permitted at the beachside buffet restaurant.
Since this was their rain season, the weather was a little unpredictable and, unfortunately, we did see some rain on most days. Luckily we only lost one full day to it…which is the day we took a taxi to downtown Cancun .
Ten days was nice, but on hindsight I wish we had gone for two weeks. There is so much to see and do in Mexico. We took a tour to Tulum and also stopped at Paradise Beach (so beautiful!). We went to the little town of Playa Del Carmen on two occasions (once at night and once during the day). Lots of good shopping there, plus drug stores with very reasonable prices. It’s only a five minute cab ride from the hotel or a 25 minute walk on the beach.
We had a great trip, and I was very impressed with the Mayan Riviera. Would definitely go back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 24h All Inclusive Hotel Riu Yucatan opens all year round and is located directly on the beautiful Playa del Carmen. The RIU Classic Hotels offer comfortable rooms and excellent facilities with great leisure and relaxation facilities, as well as international gastronomy. Enjoy a relaxing holiday - whether alone, with family, partner or friends! The location is ideal because of its proximity to Cancun Airport CUN (55km), Cancún city (60 km) and invites you to explore the area. The hotel has 507 comfortably furnished rooms and offers many amenities. Relax in our spa or get in shape at the gym. 4 outdoor pools, 1 children's pool. For the youngest guests, there is the RiuLand Kids Club (ages 4-7 & 8-12 years) and for adults, day and evening entertainment. For lovers of gastronomy, we offer live cooking stations at our main restaurant, Asian, Mexican, Italian specialty restaurants, Steakhouse, and 5 bars. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelPower so you can book your Hotel Riu Yucatan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Yucatan Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan Mexico
- Rui Yucatan
- Hotel Riu Yucatan Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico