Very smooth check in after a long flight from UK. Our room was on groung floor very clean & cleaned every day although at different times each day. The room was getting tired & is ready for the refurb next year, but how long do you spend in the room anyway?
Can't say that we had any complaint about the noise from the sister hotel next door which you would expect from the major renovation going on. We never had any problem finding sunbeds on the beach & easily found shade if we needed it. Beach kept very clean. Can't comment on the pool as we would rather be on the beach.
Would not even bother to queue for reservations for the specialist restaurants as the 3 restaurants are not really anything special. We did try all three but there is plenty of variety in the main restaurant, but after 2 weeks a little repetative.
All bars gave good service & the staff soon get to know what you drink!! Glasses & ash trays always cleared away very quickly. Entertainment was ok at night some better than others - tip check at the other 2 hotels you can use (Tequila & Playacar) for what their show is that night. Michael Jackson worth seeing.
Didn't have much problems with mosquitos only a few bites but sprayed ourselves with Jungle formula spray before going out at night - mostly bitten in morning on patio.
As we have been to Mexico before we had done some trips anyway we tried Coco Bongos which was really good, 3.30 am came very quickly. There is always something to watch either on stage or in the air. Recommend this one. The speedboat explorer is really good even for me as I am unable to snorkel due to ear problems. Avoid going on the Sian Ka'an Truck Safari, it was 2 hours on an extremely pot holed road with very little to see except trees & bushes on either side almost up to the road so apart from seeing sea turtles and a few dolphins (not very close) then you could snorkell & swim if you wanted, it was another 2 hours back up the same road.!!!
A total waste of $324.
We took the ferry over to Cozumel & took a taxi round the island $80 for 3 hours with a very good driver. Make sure you are back at the ferry in plenty of time, the 5pm one was full about 4.30 so there were people left behind.
You can walk into Player del Carmen in about 30 mins, fine if it's not hot but only 70 pesos for a taxi. It is quite safe walking out at night round the hotels and you can use their bars at night for variety.
If you have any pesos left you can use them at the aiport in part payment then pay the remainder in dollars, ponds or use your credit card.
This is an ideal location for a chilling beach holiday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located in the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km/ 1.9 Miles from Playa del Carmen * In Playacar's resort area, along with the Riu Palace Mexico, Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Playacar and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * Main building and 2-storey buildings * Mexican "Hacienda" style architecture * Surrounded by 40,000 m2/44,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Next to the Mexican Street * 800 m/2,650 ft. From various shops * 55 km/34 miles from Cancun Int'l. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Yucatan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Yucatan Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan Mexico
- Rui Yucatan
- Hotel Riu Yucatan Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico