“Fantastic stay at the RIU YUCATAN this July”
Review of Hotel Riu Yucatan

Hotel Riu Yucatan
Ranked #63 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I have just returned from a brilliant two week stay at the Riu Yucatan with my fiance and we had a brilliant stay at this hotel and resort. Please don't be put off by other negative reviews on here, this hotel has everything you could want from a relaxing sunshine / beach holiday. It may not be a 5* UK standard hotel but the Mexicans sure give you 5* service!!!! We had really beautiful weather, only a couple of over cast and rainy spells, lots of mosquitos about so try to take stuff with you for this!

We found the room exceptionally clean and fresh with a good powerful shower, huge balcony space and fridge/ optics and had initially expected the rooms to be really old fashioned having read previous reviews on here but we were really happy.

The bed was a little hard but I think in all honesty I only noticed this as again i had read it on here prior to leaving - We didn't need a matress topper. We assumed the hotel is around 15 years old from a plaque at the entrance and we liked the style of the hotel and rooms and it gave it a bit of mexican charm.

The staff at this hotel were fantastic and so friendly and the entertainment team were great, they made sure to greet everyone in the morning around the pool to kick off the day, and the great thing was if you don't want to be involved in the activities they weren't pushy. The water aerobics and other pool sports were really popular. The hotel was full of lots of couples - we also saw few families there but liked that the hotel catered to all sorts of people. The night entertainment was fantastic, Michael Jackson show and a acrobatic show both worth seeing.

The food offered lots of choice, the main hacienda restaurant had plenty of good quality meat/ vegetables / deserts, we never got bored of the food - people who do are those who eat the same thing every night!
We also ate at each a la carte, the best being the steak house!!! We didn't have to wake really early to book these as also previous reports said, we generally were able to book at around 8- 8.30 in the morning. There is also no limit of the amount of times you can eat in them, again ensuring you have plenty of variety of food / restaurants to eat in.

We booked a trip to Maroma Paradise with the scuba caribe team (can be found on the beach) which was excellent, it included quad biking/ speedboating and snorkelling on a catamaran for a special offer. Also booked a trip with Thomson to Chichen itza which was about £80 each but included a trip to a cenote (under wate cave) and Vallodolid - old charming colonial town - it was an early start at 5.30am. We took mexican pesos on advice of first choice reps in uk BUT actually found that once there most trips / shops / watersports / beauty treatments take dollars. We used Pesos for tips.

My tip is watch out with your luggage weight when leaving the UK from GATWICK with THOMSON/ FIRST CHOICE as they weighed our hand luggage ( they only allow 5kg) which was over and they made me put this in my case and therefore was charged extra!!!

We loved this hotel and would 100% recommend a visit here. It was a really beautiful place, lovely people, good food, relaxation - Bliss!

Room Tip: Rooms away from the entertainment block were quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank JadeT2007

Reviewed July 17, 2012

My boyfriend and I had our first holiday together here for 11 nights leaving on the 27th June. I'm the sort of person who always looks at lots of reviews before booking anywhere so thankyou everyone for the reviews - thought I should write one myself for once!

We went with Thomson; the flight was fine and the length was worth it for the holiday! The best thing about the hotel is the staff, they are so friendly and work incredibly hard to make your stay a good one. The bar staff are friendly and chatty and interested in where you are from etc, the restaurant staff are attentive and the cleaners/gardeners never fail to say hola. We were on the top floor of Block 4 - a perfect location near to beach/pool and not too noisy from entertainment. There is no lift which was probably a good thing as it gave us some exercise from laying on the beach all day! A few people have said the beds are uncomfortable and hard, I found it absolutely fine for the first week before my back started to hurt a little but it was probably not just the bed, lots of laying on sunbeds probably contributed too. Rooms aren't modern but who stays in their room all day? Optics are a nice touch although didn't end up using them as much as we thought, the rooms have everything you need and were fine - had to ask for minibar to be restocked once and someone was there to do it literally in 3 minutes and then we had a phone call 30 mins after that to make sure it had been done!

We went away to get lots of sun and a time to relax after my exams finished and this is what we got :) The beach is the best I have seen, I went to Antigua which was brilliant but this beach beats it. My cousin has been to over 50 countries and also says this beach is one of the best he has seen. We didn't want to stay on the beach all the time though and so to see a bit of 'real Mexico' we went on the Chichen Itza trip. It was a very early start (5.20!) but it means we were one of the first groups at the site and could get lots of good pictures - tour guide was great and very knowledgeable. We then went swimming in a cenote which I was scared of haha but finally went in and it was a great experience although very cold! Finally visited a city but was very hot so just had a quick walk round - then went back to hotel. Cost us about 1600 pesos each so quite expensive but worth it.

I felt brave after the cenote swim so we also went parasailing on the beach - Enrique and many of the other vendors were lovely and friendly however one downside of being on the beach was that it was every day that you were asked to do watersports/buy things about 4/5 times. Only went to the pool one day to try out the bar but the pool was very warm and like a bath - not refreshing at all we much preferred the beach and the sea. One day we got up to watch sunrise at around 6am, was definitely worth it and again got some lovely pictures. Enjoyed watching the volleyball on the beach each day but we were too lazy to join in! There are plenty of daytime activities to get involved in if you wanted to.

The food is nice, some nights better than others - Asian night is yummy and probably as good as the Asian restaurant as you can choose what you want. We ate in the steak house one night which was very very good and a nice change from the buffet which got a little repetitive however not through lack of choice just as I ended up choosing similar things that I liked! We ate in the restaurant by the beach for lunch both days which was very good with a good selection of pizza pasta salad fruit desserts etc.

We took a taxi into Playa del Carmen one night only 70 pesos each way so definitely worth it for something to do - you do get false impressions at first as you pull up by an Armani Exchange shop and other designers however you then get to 5th avenue - a long hilly road full of shops, bars and restaurants. It gives you a better idea of mexico and was great to have a look around but beware of lots of people trying to get you in their shops and sell you things and offers to get high! Didn't let go of my boyfriend the whole time haha.

Only disappointment was that I only saw one monkey haha! Another bad point was that neither of us smoke and often got stuck next to people smoking by the bars/stage. Also I don't like flying and we didn't get seats together on the way home :( I now also have an addiction for pina coladas and strawberry daquiris and my boyfriend loved the mojitos and has been making them himself ever since we got home! The entertainment team work very hard and it is very impressive that they are often in the shows themselves - some nights the entertainment was a bit odd and disjointed though. Was expecting an amazing Michael Jackson show and although the dancing is very good it is all mimed as is the Grease show although still very entertaining and dancing was west end standard (and I have seen over 10 shows). We were lucky enough to see the new circus show one night which was absolutely amazing and definitely west end standard! Can't rave about that one enough!

Many have mentioned the mosquitos on here - we used spray with 50% deet as recommended and I only got bitten once. My boyfriend got about 8 bites. I will stop typing now! Overall we had a fantastic time and I wouldn't hesitate whatsoever to go back to this hotel - paradise :). Despite nearly having a coach crash on the transfer to the hotel and getting stuck for an hour everything else went very smoothly and I would recommend it to anyone!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
12  Thank AmyA94
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We have just returned from 2 superb weeks at the Riu Yucatan. This hotel is simply the best Riu I have stayed in, when compared with places such as Jamaica, Cape Verde and the Dominican Republic.

The hotels location, staff and all round ambience was terrific from start to finish. The entertainments team just never stop, they literally must work 16 hr days and will make your holiday. A big Thank you to 'sexy' Odi, 'your friend' Diego, Danny 'boy' and seniorettas Jenny and Elena. The shows are really well planned a thought out, the Michael Jackson night was our favourite.

The pool bars are always really lively thought the day with Manuel, Carlos and Filimon always on hand to keep the tequila flowing. The main restaurant team are attentive and very welcoming and most importantly the food was great with something for everyone. The rooms whilst not being 'The Ritz' are clean, tidy and all you need for a beach holiday.

Having 2 good size pools and being on the beach really makes this hotel as is proven by the amount of visitors from neighbouring Riu hotels in the bars.

Our Thompson rep Rachel was always on hand to help with anything and the trips we went on were spot on. The Fat Cat Catamaran trip with guide snorkelling (thank you Oscar) was brilliant and the climb to the top of a Mayan Temple in Coba was breath taking, luckily the cenoete swim at the end was just the thing to cool off. Martin and Carla the 2 guides for this trip were very knowledgable.

Overall Playacar is superb as a large purpose built resort, you feel incredibly safe there and 5th Avenue is a must for a night time stroll (only 70 Mexican Pesos).

As you probably guessed I can't recommend this hotel and resort enough wether you go for 2 weeks or 1 you will be guaranteed a great time. Our only tip would be to take Mexican Pesos instead of US Dollars as they are tryin to faze dollars out.

Go there, enjoy it and have a Mexican Flag shot for us.

David, Tracey, Maddie and Keeley
Staffordshire, England

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
13  Thank David G
Reviewed July 15, 2012

This was our first time to Mexico, spending 5 night at the Riu Yucatan for a wedding. I agree with other reviewers, stating this is not a 4 star hotel. The rooms were plenty big and well kept, but if you are like me and like smaller resorts, this is not the place for you. There was a good 10 to 15 minute walk to the beach just from our room. The beach itself was a disappointment after being on several Carribean islands. The sand was full of cigarette butts, trash here and there and was packed with people. The water was beautiful and refreshing, but with so many others, it was hard to appreciate it. The food was decent; there were several options and it was satisfying but I'm not picky in the food department. The location was good as there were several touristy things to do close by utilizting taxi. This resort is great for larger groups and if you like the party sceme, but if you're looking for romance and a little isolation from others, pick another resort.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms closer to the beach so you maybe have a view and so you don't have to walk so far!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank egrasser
Reviewed July 15, 2012

What a wonderful holiday we had in Mexico. The hotel was exceptional!! the rooms were very clean and the mini-bar was a great thing to have in your room. The food was amazing with plenty to choose from. I am normally a picky eater and get bored with the food after the first week but the food here never failed to amaze me it was delicious all of the time. The staff were more than helpful and were always happy and pleasant. We could also use the facilities in the sister hotels next door. The only downside to our holiday was that we went when it was spring break for the Americans and on our second week the hotel was over run with un-ruly teenagers getting drunk and spoiling the nice quietness of the hotel. so anyone thinking of going don't go in March!!!
Other than that were planning another holiday to Mexico and it will most certanly be at the Riu Yucutan.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank 2008jules
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Shame about the Riu Yucatan. Definatley not a 4 star platinum as advertised by first choice. Best thing about the hotel it is on the beach. Food ok very repetative and luke warm so if you want a hot meal go as soon as the restaurant opens. The Oriental restaurant was a let down - again luke warm food. Steak house was nice and the food was lovely and very hot. Other guests very ignorant got to get in their and get their food and chow down - god any one would think all the foods going to go. Room was by the pool and entertainment area which was a pain sometimes when the entertainment went on till 1.30Am and then people walking past your room being rowdy. Room basic but clean bed's hard and towels awful so take your own. You can smoke anywhere in the hotel and there were no "NO smokng areas". sat at the bar - smoke, having lunch - smoke, walk into lobby - smoke not very nice for non smokers. Drinks watered down and weak but depends who served you and what bar you were at. Sun beds total pain got up early one moring for a run 6.45am and most of the sunbeds already had towels on, SAD - just like being in europe,but who wants to go round the pool when you have the lovely beach. Staff were lovely and friendly. To end 5 star staff, 3 star hotel and 1 star guests. Go to Mexico but stay somehwere else.

Room Tip: dont stay by pool area
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CJ1England
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Just got back from this amazing hotel with my boyfriend had a lovely holiday didn't want to come back!!

All the staff were so friendly and happy to help and really made our holiday enjoyable!! Especially the entertainment staff!

The food was lovely I really enjoyed the Asian and Mexican restaurants! And the waiters gave you amazing service in all the restaurants!

The pool and the beach were lovely! Are room was nice decor a bit dated but it didn't bother me at all! You really do get all inclusive with this hotel and good value for your money!!

We went with first choice and our rep Rachel was so helpful she even let me use her laptop for the Internet! And was always happy to help!

Overall I would defiantly recommend this hotel and can't wait to go back one day!!

• Stayed: July 2012
Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
ClubHotel Riu Tequila
#55 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Hotel Riu Yucatan? Share your experiences!