I have just returned from a brilliant two week stay at the Riu Yucatan with my fiance and we had a brilliant stay at this hotel and resort. Please don't be put off by other negative reviews on here, this hotel has everything you could want from a relaxing sunshine / beach holiday. It may not be a 5* UK standard hotel but the Mexicans sure give you 5* service!!!! We had really beautiful weather, only a couple of over cast and rainy spells, lots of mosquitos about so try to take stuff with you for this!
We found the room exceptionally clean and fresh with a good powerful shower, huge balcony space and fridge/ optics and had initially expected the rooms to be really old fashioned having read previous reviews on here but we were really happy.
The bed was a little hard but I think in all honesty I only noticed this as again i had read it on here prior to leaving - We didn't need a matress topper. We assumed the hotel is around 15 years old from a plaque at the entrance and we liked the style of the hotel and rooms and it gave it a bit of mexican charm.
The staff at this hotel were fantastic and so friendly and the entertainment team were great, they made sure to greet everyone in the morning around the pool to kick off the day, and the great thing was if you don't want to be involved in the activities they weren't pushy. The water aerobics and other pool sports were really popular. The hotel was full of lots of couples - we also saw few families there but liked that the hotel catered to all sorts of people. The night entertainment was fantastic, Michael Jackson show and a acrobatic show both worth seeing.
The food offered lots of choice, the main hacienda restaurant had plenty of good quality meat/ vegetables / deserts, we never got bored of the food - people who do are those who eat the same thing every night!
We also ate at each a la carte, the best being the steak house!!! We didn't have to wake really early to book these as also previous reports said, we generally were able to book at around 8- 8.30 in the morning. There is also no limit of the amount of times you can eat in them, again ensuring you have plenty of variety of food / restaurants to eat in.
We booked a trip to Maroma Paradise with the scuba caribe team (can be found on the beach) which was excellent, it included quad biking/ speedboating and snorkelling on a catamaran for a special offer. Also booked a trip with Thomson to Chichen itza which was about £80 each but included a trip to a cenote (under wate cave) and Vallodolid - old charming colonial town - it was an early start at 5.30am. We took mexican pesos on advice of first choice reps in uk BUT actually found that once there most trips / shops / watersports / beauty treatments take dollars. We used Pesos for tips.
My tip is watch out with your luggage weight when leaving the UK from GATWICK with THOMSON/ FIRST CHOICE as they weighed our hand luggage ( they only allow 5kg) which was over and they made me put this in my case and therefore was charged extra!!!
We loved this hotel and would 100% recommend a visit here. It was a really beautiful place, lovely people, good food, relaxation - Bliss!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located in the Yucatan peninsula, 3 km/ 1.9 Miles from Playa del Carmen * In Playacar's resort area, along with the Riu Palace Mexico, Riu Palace Riviera Maya, Riu Playacar and the ClubHotel Riu Tequila hotels * Main building and 2-storey buildings * Mexican "Hacienda" style architecture * Surrounded by 40,000 m2/44,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * On the beachfront * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Next to the Mexican Street * 800 m/2,650 ft. From various shops * 55 km/34 miles from Cancun Int'l. Airport * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Riu Yucatan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Yucatan Playacar Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan Playa Del Carmen
- Riu Yucatan Mexico
- Rui Yucatan
- Hotel Riu Yucatan Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico