“Don't stay here if you want to relax. "theres nothing we can do, sorry"”

Hotel Riviera Caribe Maya
Ranked #21 of 173 Playa del Carmen B&B and Inns
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Don't stay here if you want to relax. "theres nothing we can do, sorry"”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Booked this hotel based on tripadvisor reviews that put it on the "could be good/could not be good" category. I booked this hotel for a week (7 days) over New Years with the understanding that New Years eve could get a bit loud.. I was ok with that.

The good - Hotel is in a good location close to 5th ave and shops that tend to be less aggressive with tourists. The hotel is also close to Mamitas Beach Club where you can get a discounted chair rental for days at the beach. The beach at Maitas fill sup fast, so get there early. the maids are the best thing about the hotel.. they work hard.

The bad - This hotel is right next door to a new night club, Voga that blasts music until the wee hours of the morning. The hotel neglects to tell people this and once you're in the hotel and have paid, you're stuck with the room and the noise. The nightclub operates thursday through sunday nights and even with earplugs you WONT be able to sleep. It's insane. My travel companion and I had no idea this would be the case until we arrived to the hotel one evening and could not even hold a conversation with one and other without yelling... it was that loud. I asked at the front desk and their answer was "were sold out, nothing we can do". The beds are insane.. imaging the cheapest mattress in the world..covered in wood and wrapped in plastic.. this is what the bed is like. My companion and I even though about going to the pool and sleeping in the lounge chairs as that would have been more comfortable. I needed three massages to compensate for the hard mattress. The room smelled of sewer gas if the bathroom door was closed. The wi-fi works for about 5 minutes while you are holing your devices in various angles to try and get reception. The doors to the rooms are flimsy and there are no peep holes to see who might be outside your door. The rooms have a key with a giant key chain that you either have to leave with the front desk or lug around with you all day long.. annoying. They charge 1.00 a day to use the safe.. dumb.. it should be included.

I had it with this hotel on day 5. No help from the front desk. Their answer to everything is "were sold out, there is nothing we can do" or "what do you want me to do about that".. very annoying. I am a very savvy traveler and do not require luxury.. just basic accommodations and a comfortable place to sleep.. this hotel cant even get that right. I checked out two days early and moved to a resort where I knew that I would have less noise and comfortable bed to sleep in. Upon checkingout the front desk asked me why I was leaving and I explained. They offered no apology only that I was NOT getting a refund for two days. Nice. Thats the type of service you will get at this hotel.. all about them taking your money!

I left two shirts in the closet and called to see if I could come get them.. suddenly they disappeared.. even though it was two hours later.

Room Tip: If you must use the hotel.. avoid room 204
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank tlabossiere

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 5, 2013

My family and I stayed in one of the suites in the hotel. The location is wonderful. It is 1 block from 5th Ave., where all of the great restaurants and shops are, and 2 blocks from the beach. Because it is not directly on 5th Ave., it remained quiet at night, but it was still close enough to walk to everything.

The hotel itself is very nice. Our rooms were large and the bathroom was very big too (though it did not smell so great). The room was clean and the cleaning staff did a very nice job each night. There is Wifi in the lobby, but not in the room, but we preferred this since it ensured we didn't spend too much time on our gadgets. You can also rent a safe key for $1/day, so we felt very safe and knew our things would be secure. We did not find the mattresses too hard, as some other reviewers did. The AC worked very well.

The staff was VERY friendly and helpful. They gave us recommendations and were very pleasant to deal with. There is a small pool in the hotel which has chairs, hammocks, and palm trees surrounding it that was clean and refreshing. The price of the room includes a modest breakfast at a cafe a block away (coffee, juice, and a croissant). They also give you beach towels and coupons to a beach club that is about 2 blocks away which was a really great spot to relax.

I also want to note since I did not see this in other reviews that we rented a car for the duration of our stay, and even though the hotel does not have parking spaces, we did not have trouble finding parking on the street and never had to park more than 1 block away. Also there is no elevator so if you are on the top floor like us, you will have to walk up 2 flights of stairs.

Overall, staying at this hotel really helped make our vacation wonderful. I would definitely stay here again and would highly recommend it to friends. Great deal for the price!

Room Tip: King suites have 2 rooms with king sized beds and a large bathroom with a jacuzzi tub.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Hadashadas
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed December 9, 2012

This is a boutique hotel that has a great location in Playa - only one block from 5th street and all the shops and restaurants of the pedestrian mall. It has a neat lobby, circular staircase and fun wall-less shower that you step into (no door, no curtain). These equal a fun architecture. There were no screens on the windows, but I guess people usually run the air conditioner. The pool area is small and quite pretty. It was too cool for us to swim, but the pool looked nice. Our only complaint was that the bed was rock hard. Still, I would stay here again. It was a very weel-priced hotel and a great value.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cindy B
Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

We booked a place 2 blocks away and totally hated it. Went looking for a new hotel ran into Riviera Caribe. And were happy to find a room for 4 days.
The room was very clean the bathroom great. This is a great boutique hotel. Me and my Girlfriend loved the hotel. You are 1 block away from 5ta Ave. And 2 blocks from the beach, and mamitas beach club. The AC and fan worked perfect. The bed was a little hard for my liking but no big deal. The water pressure and temperature was fine. Staff was very helpful and always had an answer for our questions. The place was very peaceful. The pool is small but relaxing and clean. And every single thing you need is a couple of blocks away. The value is great especially if you are a traveler and not a vacationist.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank rafaluna
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

Our first reaction to Hotel Riviera Caribe Maya was it should be more expensive. With a stylish design, large, clean rooms and super-helpful staff there's a lot going for it. There's an attractive pool area (although fairly shady) and wi-fi too. It's an easy wander to the beach and the hotel has a discount at a beach club for sun beds, umbrellas, etc.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank j5183v
Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

i have stayed here many times and have always been happy. i brought my parents in this last trip and it was magnificent! we stayed in suite 208. it was spacious with a beautiful balcony and huge bathroom. we enjoyed lounging by the pool and visiting nearby restaurants. mamitas beach is the best in playa and only a couple if blocks away. cabs are plentiful right outside the door and everyone working there is so nice. paola runs a beautiful hotel, and i will be back very soon. it's my home in playa!

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank tande13
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This hotel was a perfect option for us where to stay in Playa del Carmen. Location is a few meters from the main street and also one more block from the beach. Lots of restaurant all around so we did not need a food service in the hotel. We always really appreciate when we could use the swimming pool in the afternoon. Staff of the hotel were friendly and helped us with everything we asked them for.

• Stayed June 2012