“Not a hotel, barely step up from a backpacker's hostel.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel El Tukan

Hotel El Tukan
Ranked #136 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Avignon, France
“Not a hotel, barely step up from a backpacker's hostel.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

No ice available. They sent me two blocks away to buy ice, despite the fact that they have a full-service restaurant available.

Terrible air conditioners. Weak window units that are underpowered. The room was constantly hot and humid.

Terrible linens. A thin 'blanket' and a springy 'mattress' that was a little rough but I've had worse (in the Army for example.) With the weak air conditioners they must think you don't need a better blanket or sheets, however the point of the air conditioner isn't jus temperature, but humidity control. Being in a tropical climate, there's nothing worse that sweating while sleeping.

Nice exterior environment except for slippery, narrow rock paths and steps which make luggage or stroller transport treacherous.

They did provide baby cribs which was nice.

Breakfast buffet was adequate and fairly ok.

Perfect location.

No refrigerator in-room, although with an ice machine this wouldn't be an issue.

Ants on the countertops. Small ones. A occasional giant carpenter any was found in the curtains. A few broken railings in the balcony so it's dangerous for small children.

Very thin, see-through curtains. Expect your room to be flooded with light constantly. Terrible to be woken up at sunrise every morning.

Front desk staff (at night) was very nice. The guys that helped with the luggage were also great.

No chairs in the room, so if you want to sit at the desk and do any kind of work, it's useless.

No elevator. Lots of uneven steps. A big pain if you have little kids and have to tote then up and down the stairs (along with the stroller and assorted stuff.)

We had a two bedroom 'suite' and we received: two towels, 8 bottles of shampoo, 4 soaps. But two towels total.

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank Superacidjax
operaciones1, Gerente at Hotel El Tukan, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
We are very sorry your experience with us.
We can ensure that the foundation of our company is to give satisfaction and total quality to our customers.
Unfortunately we have no report of the details written on their part.
We hope your experience will be allowed to return back to the hotel to improve printing.

management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

Be carefull when booking this hotel. After rescheduling my stay to be delayed by one day, hotels.com confirmed this was OK with Tukan and there would no changes in the cost. On my next to last day, Ricardo Buc from the front desk informed me the rescheculed days was not in there system and I had the option of paying for an extra night (which was twice the amount booked with hotels.com) or pay $60 for a late payment fee (which was twice the amount quoted at check-in) and leave the hotel. While trying to contact hotels.com to resolve this, Richardo said I had 15 minutes before the the price for an extra night would go up an additional $50. Less than 5 minutes passed when Richardo said I would be charged the additional $50. I ended up paying for the extra night and hotels.com would not provide a refund for the mishap.

While trying to resolve this at the front desk, another guest commented she was trying to deal with her own issues (she was visably frustated with the front desk). Richardo (who was standing right next to us) just went about his business without a comment or an apology.

Tukan managment... please look into this (best case, fire this [--]).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank Russell G
operaciones1, Gerente at Hotel El Tukan, responded to this review, May 7, 2013

Travelers are raving about these Playa del Carmen hotels

Vail, CO
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

While I realize they are "in the process of becoming all inclusive" this place lacks the space and amenities to even come close. I did not stay more than a few hours and will tell you why.

Upon arrival I was asked to prove to them that I had a reservation. A simple ID wouldn't do for them. They actually made me look it up on my phone!! After I showed them and checked in they handed me an envelope, with my name on it, complete with a key and two remotes. The "bellman" took me to my room. It was accross and down the street! A property called Hotel Mariachi. This was where they breeched the contract thru the travel agent and I was refunded.

The worst, my room was not all inclusive, they wanted 37.00US per person. The pool near me looked like a swamp, disgusting. The room was fair, however it had windows that were large and did not lock and the door was falling off the hinges!! The towels, rags. The view, construction. Very loud, ear piercing cutting of concrete. This is no ones fault but I wasn't paying for it. The walls had holes and loose cords, dangerous, fire hazard. The bedding was polyester, even the sheets. There was no safe, and always before I book in Mexico, I check if there is a safe in the room. The TV was fuzzy, to say the least.

When I returned to the front desk, she informed me that it was my room and only option. When I asked where the safe must be she replied "we are your safe, leave your valuables here"

Did you laugh too?

The staff also continued to talk negatively in Spanish/gibberish about me and laugh, making it obvious while trying to make sure I really couldn't understand them. I could. When I returned the key and remotes and smiled the seedy staff shut up! I hope they were reprimanded.

I called Hotwire, Via Skype. This was difficult!!! The wifi cuts off often. So use it in the actual Tukan Lobby! Here I was only disconnected once.

Due to the nasty and unsafe room and because they were so problematic, unfriendly, and unaccommodating, Hotwire moved me to hotel Plaza Playa. This I recommend 10-1. Amazing. Short walk but who cares? You will probably (or should probably) only be in Playa Del Carmen a night or two.

Maybe after the new 5th avenue mall is built and they are done with the so called "All Inclusive Conversion" it could be nice. They have a motto here. Get money from a gringo now and who cares if they return! So bad for business. Anywho, my new hotel was perfect (and cheaper). Look for my great review there (:

Also, you may be looking for an all inclusive "Hidden Rate" but if this is in the pool, it's not worth getting stuck here!!!

Also most hotels have one way in and out with security for your own protection. This one seemed very unprotected.

1 out of 10 because the AC in room was nice while I decided that I was NOT going to rest my head here.

• Stayed April 2013
5 Thank 1trackrider
operaciones1, Gerente at Hotel El Tukan, responded to this review, April 24, 2013

Woodland, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

please keep in my minda that when u book a hotel and your in mexico u will get what u pay for and what u book. this is not a resort! its a nice hotel on 5th ave. we did get the premium and were very happy with it. the basic sucks 1 buffet and the food looks gross for lunch and dinner...the breakfast we did eat at (la cieba) hotel was beautiful we stayed on the 3d floor over looking the pool, there was construction going on next door but not loud and it stopped at like 6.the rooms shut out the noise and who wants to stay in the hotel all day anyways. pool was clean and nice. staff were ok.over all we would go back. perfect location on 5th st. we recommend this over a resort were u have to take taxis to get here. beach club was nice also.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
operaciones1, Gerente at Hotel El Tukan, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Dear Guest:
Thank you for your comments, Tukan Hotel is our commitment to provide the best service for that reason we are verifying the details mentioned, in order to meet their needs and fulfill your expectations.
Hoping to receive it again in one of our hotels.
Helsinki
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

We sayed a week at El Tukan during our Jucatan trip. Our room was on the new shopping mall building site on the 3rd floor up the stairs (no elevator). The balgong was heading the inner yard. During the daytime there was a horrible noice coming from the construction site from early morning to lare evening - really disturbing. The room was small but too little light made it difficult to read inside, only one night lamp. Anyway very clean thanks to cleaner ladies. Thank you also for surprising elephant and swan form towel decoration. Towels were worn-up and grey
First we got only one key card and it took a while to get the other one. "We always will come to open the door" - anyway climbing those stairs twice didn't attract very much.
Eventhrough climbing I recommend the upper floors and inner yard view. Downstair rooms with terrace seemed to be very dark and humid I heard.
There seemed to be several types of room decoration - ours was of older type even the television. The balgong was good. Also the breakfast was excellent.
I hate the tip culture in this country..

Room Tip: upper floor, inner yard
1 Thank Maari100
operaciones1, Gerente at Hotel El Tukan, responded to this review, April 3, 2013

Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

The hotel is split in three parts, in which we stayed in the "premium" one. Good location. Calm during the night but very close to the happenings / main street. To the bech club, it's rather far and be there on time to get a proper sunchair.

The hotel is very clean and the best was the cleaning ladies that surprised us daily with a towel creation. Though, as most hotels in Mexico, you hear sounds from neighbor rooms.

We did not go for all inclusive, and are happy. The breakfast is ok in the recommended AI restaurant, but here are soo many good places to go and you rather spend your money on diffrent restaurants. And surpringsigly, the quality of the food is better than expected. Avoid the restaurants along the 5th Ave. They are way too overprized. If you pay the same price as back home (The Nordics) - then you pay way too much.

The best two restaurants are found close to the hotel; Da Gigi, italian place with pizzeria atmosphere but great food. 10av/calle 20. Byblos, french restaurant with excelllent service, good food and wine at very good price.Calle carazon /calle 14. Worth to visit both of them!

To get around / Caba / Paradise Beach / Akumal (turtle snorkling) you do best in renting a car. We rented a car for 25US a day and it's easy to drive in Playa del Carmen / along the coast.

1 Thank jvmjvm
operaciones1, Gerente at Hotel El Tukan, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Guest,
In Group Tukan we are dedicated to providing the highest quality and satisfaction to our customers by offering the best service possible.
Awaiting your early return to one of our hotels.
Denmark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

After reading some negative reviews on this forum I tried to contact both hotel and sales department with some requests. No response whatsoever.
Please note that this review is based on a 2 and a half star hotel category. In my oppinion the hotel is a good hotel for this category. I received a non updated double room on the 4th floor with pool view. The room is a standard room with with the necessary facilities with TV and small balcony. A bit worn but everyday cleaning was very good. A/C and ceiling fan. No reading lamps.
Reception informed that there only was WIFI in the reception area. However the signal was so strong that it worked in the room as well. Service in the reception was good and friendly. There were porters to carry luggage. No elevators. Did not use the pool and spa but it looked clean and was used by other clients. There is a hotel shuttle to the Kool beach club were sunchairs are free for clients of the hotel. Did not try the restaurants Tulipan and La Ceiba which are connected to the hotel. Situated on 5th Ave and close to the beach - a very good location. One drawback - the hotel is very badly insulated which means a lot of streetnoise/discorhytms/personnel/furniture being moved on stone floors/children frolicking in pool in the early morning....
The hotel also has a concierge and a travel agency in the reception. All in all a quite good budget hotel.

Room Tip: Perhaps the lower floor rooms are not so prone to streetnoise. No elevators.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
operaciones1, Gerente at Hotel El Tukan, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Guest:
Hoping to receive it again in one of our hotels.