“Don't do it!”

Ranked #151 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Vail, CO
“Don't do it!”
Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

While I realize they are "in the process of becoming all inclusive" this place lacks the space and amenities to even come close. I did not stay more than a few hours and will tell you why.

Upon arrival I was asked to prove to them that I had a reservation. A simple ID wouldn't do for them. They actually made me look it up on my phone!! After I showed them and checked in they handed me an envelope, with my name on it, complete with a key and two remotes. The "bellman" took me to my room. It was accross and down the street! A property called Hotel Mariachi. This was where they breeched the contract thru the travel agent and I was refunded.

The worst, my room was not all inclusive, they wanted 37.00US per person. The pool near me looked like a swamp, disgusting. The room was fair, however it had windows that were large and did not lock and the door was falling off the hinges!! The towels, rags. The view, construction. Very loud, ear piercing cutting of concrete. This is no ones fault but I wasn't paying for it. The walls had holes and loose cords, dangerous, fire hazard. The bedding was polyester, even the sheets. There was no safe, and always before I book in Mexico, I check if there is a safe in the room. The TV was fuzzy, to say the least.

When I returned to the front desk, she informed me that it was my room and only option. When I asked where the safe must be she replied "we are your safe, leave your valuables here"

Did you laugh too?

The staff also continued to talk negatively in Spanish/gibberish about me and laugh, making it obvious while trying to make sure I really couldn't understand them. I could. When I returned the key and remotes and smiled the seedy staff shut up! I hope they were reprimanded.

I called Hotwire, Via Skype. This was difficult!!! The wifi cuts off often. So use it in the actual Tukan Lobby! Here I was only disconnected once.

Due to the nasty and unsafe room and because they were so problematic, unfriendly, and unaccommodating, Hotwire moved me to hotel Plaza Playa. This I recommend 10-1. Amazing. Short walk but who cares? You will probably (or should probably) only be in Playa Del Carmen a night or two.

Maybe after the new 5th avenue mall is built and they are done with the so called "All Inclusive Conversion" it could be nice. They have a motto here. Get money from a gringo now and who cares if they return! So bad for business. Anywho, my new hotel was perfect (and cheaper). Look for my great review there (:

Also, you may be looking for an all inclusive "Hidden Rate" but if this is in the pool, it's not worth getting stuck here!!!

Also most hotels have one way in and out with security for your own protection. This one seemed very unprotected.

1 out of 10 because the AC in room was nice while I decided that I was NOT going to rest my head here.

• Stayed April 2013
5 Thank 1trackrider
operaciones1, Gerente at Hotel El Tukan, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
We are very sorry your experience with us.
We can ensure that the foundation of our company is to give satisfaction and total quality to our customers.
Unfortunately we have no report of the details written on their part.
We hope your experience will be allowed to return back to the hotel to improve printing.

management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Woodland, California
Reviewed April 19, 2013

please keep in my minda that when u book a hotel and your in mexico u will get what u pay for and what u book. this is not a resort! its a nice hotel on 5th ave. we did get the premium and were very happy with it. the basic sucks 1 buffet and the food looks gross for lunch and dinner...the breakfast we did eat at (la cieba) hotel was beautiful we stayed on the 3d floor over looking the pool, there was construction going on next door but not loud and it stopped at like 6.the rooms shut out the noise and who wants to stay in the hotel all day anyways. pool was clean and nice. staff were ok.over all we would go back. perfect location on 5th st. we recommend this over a resort were u have to take taxis to get here. beach club was nice also.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
operaciones1, Gerente at Hotel El Tukan, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Dear Guest:
Thank you for your comments, Tukan Hotel is our commitment to provide the best service for that reason we are verifying the details mentioned, in order to meet their needs and fulfill your expectations.
Hoping to receive it again in one of our hotels.
Helsinki
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We sayed a week at El Tukan during our Jucatan trip. Our room was on the new shopping mall building site on the 3rd floor up the stairs (no elevator). The balgong was heading the inner yard. During the daytime there was a horrible noice coming from the construction site from early morning to lare evening - really disturbing. The room was small but too little light made it difficult to read inside, only one night lamp. Anyway very clean thanks to cleaner ladies. Thank you also for surprising elephant and swan form towel decoration. Towels were worn-up and grey
First we got only one key card and it took a while to get the other one. "We always will come to open the door" - anyway climbing those stairs twice didn't attract very much.
Eventhrough climbing I recommend the upper floors and inner yard view. Downstair rooms with terrace seemed to be very dark and humid I heard.
There seemed to be several types of room decoration - ours was of older type even the television. The balgong was good. Also the breakfast was excellent.
I hate the tip culture in this country..

Room Tip: upper floor, inner yard
1 Thank Maari100
operaciones1, Gerente at Hotel El Tukan, responded to this review, April 3, 2013

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed March 31, 2013

The hotel is split in three parts, in which we stayed in the "premium" one. Good location. Calm during the night but very close to the happenings / main street. To the bech club, it's rather far and be there on time to get a proper sunchair.

The hotel is very clean and the best was the cleaning ladies that surprised us daily with a towel creation. Though, as most hotels in Mexico, you hear sounds from neighbor rooms.

We did not go for all inclusive, and are happy. The breakfast is ok in the recommended AI restaurant, but here are soo many good places to go and you rather spend your money on diffrent restaurants. And surpringsigly, the quality of the food is better than expected. Avoid the restaurants along the 5th Ave. They are way too overprized. If you pay the same price as back home (The Nordics) - then you pay way too much.

The best two restaurants are found close to the hotel; Da Gigi, italian place with pizzeria atmosphere but great food. 10av/calle 20. Byblos, french restaurant with excelllent service, good food and wine at very good price.Calle carazon /calle 14. Worth to visit both of them!

To get around / Caba / Paradise Beach / Akumal (turtle snorkling) you do best in renting a car. We rented a car for 25US a day and it's easy to drive in Playa del Carmen / along the coast.

1 Thank jvmjvm
operaciones1, Gerente at Hotel El Tukan, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Guest,
In Group Tukan we are dedicated to providing the highest quality and satisfaction to our customers by offering the best service possible.
Awaiting your early return to one of our hotels.
Denmark
Reviewed March 21, 2013

After reading some negative reviews on this forum I tried to contact both hotel and sales department with some requests. No response whatsoever.
Please note that this review is based on a 2 and a half star hotel category. In my oppinion the hotel is a good hotel for this category. I received a non updated double room on the 4th floor with pool view. The room is a standard room with with the necessary facilities with TV and small balcony. A bit worn but everyday cleaning was very good. A/C and ceiling fan. No reading lamps.
Reception informed that there only was WIFI in the reception area. However the signal was so strong that it worked in the room as well. Service in the reception was good and friendly. There were porters to carry luggage. No elevators. Did not use the pool and spa but it looked clean and was used by other clients. There is a hotel shuttle to the Kool beach club were sunchairs are free for clients of the hotel. Did not try the restaurants Tulipan and La Ceiba which are connected to the hotel. Situated on 5th Ave and close to the beach - a very good location. One drawback - the hotel is very badly insulated which means a lot of streetnoise/discorhytms/personnel/furniture being moved on stone floors/children frolicking in pool in the early morning....
The hotel also has a concierge and a travel agency in the reception. All in all a quite good budget hotel.

Room Tip: Perhaps the lower floor rooms are not so prone to streetnoise. No elevators.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
operaciones1, Gerente at Hotel El Tukan, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Guest:
Hoping to receive it again in one of our hotels.
London, UK
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This isn't normally the kind of place I'd spend a lot of time - I'm not much of one for sun, sea and sand - but I came with a group of friends to celebrate someone's 40th birthday and stayed here for ten nights. The location is good, a short walk from the clubs and the beach. If you expect to be right on the beach, this isn't the place for you, but that was fine with me.

The staff were OK - I didn't need that much help from them, so I can't say if they were especially helpful or not. The accommodation was comfortable if not plush (I had the bog-standard room and was perfectly happy with it) and had one of the largest beds I've ever seen in it. The hotel bar isn't exactly cheap but it isn't exactly expensive, had quite a nice laid-back atmosphere and our group used it as a meeting place in the evenings.

I think the only actual complaint I would have about the hotel is that you have to ask at reception for a key to the room safe and they charge $1 a day for the privilege. It's not much, but it's annoying.

I should say that I booked this as part of a package deal with flights from the UK and airport transfer. I think that was pretty good value, but I couldn't comment on how good value for money it would be to book just the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
operaciones1, Gerente at Hotel El Tukan, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Guest,
Awaiting your early return to one of our hotels.
Amersfoort
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We had the worst experience in all our years of traveling here in El Tukan. They made a mistake in our booking by Booking.com and had only a room available for two people, in stead of four. A mistake can happen, but they didn't care at all. They had two matrasses we could put on the floor, and we had to make the beds ourselves. No excuses, no drink or refreshment during the long, long waiting (which is no fun when you just arrive from a flight from Europe). The room was very hot and humid, dark and smelly and they charged us a lot more than we ought to pay according to our Booking.com voucher! ( which was very correctly handeled by Booking afterwards!). So they make a mistake, can not solve the problem in a decent way, and overcharge the booking just as easy. The receptionist was not interested, could not care less. We left the next day and moved to a better hotel, with friendlier staff ( for even less money).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank floorenniels
operaciones1, Gerente at Hotel El Tukan, responded to this review, March 1, 2013

Travelers are raving about these Playa del Carmen hotels