“Diamond in the rough”

Ranked #88 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
“Diamond in the rough”
Reviewed March 21, 2006

Date: 12-18 March, 2006
We made our trip through a travel service, had the choice of several different properties, and chose the Allegro Playacar in Riviera Maya. I then started to read some of the reviews from February and March, 2006, reviewers, and started having 2nd thoughts. I almost called to switch resorts, boy am I glad I didn't. We couldn't have been more thrilled with our stay. The reports of poor room care, non-existent beaches, dis-honest personnel, were all totally false. The room was a bit small, but very nice and rated for only three people. The beds were a bit hard, but quite comfortable. The ceiling fans were a great plus and hardly needed any air conditioning as we kept the windows open with the fan running - perfect along with getting a wake-up call in the morning by singing birds. The staff was wonderful - they truly gave it their all to include you in the many acitivities around the pool, they were always very helpful with questions and helping to plan your day and where the best places were to go as well as how to get there, and the evening shows were somewhat plain, but fun at the same time as they included the audience in each of their shows. The buffet area above the lobby was just completed the week before we got there, as they had a tent set up on the tennis courts for the buffet until repairs were completed. I understand they did a great job in the tent before, but the new refurbished buffet was excellent. We also took in the Italian fare which was set up around the pool area as the main restaurant was still being repaired, but the ambiance at the pool with candlelight was very nice. The Mexican restaurant was done in the pool shelter, but was also very nice and the servers made it a lot of fun. To sum up the food and drinks, my 15 year old son was grinning ear to ear as we made our first walk to the beach - he said, "There's food everywhere!" He was in heaven. The all-inclusive drinks were great, too. There were pretty strong winds the first three days we were there, and, yes, the beach was pretty depleted - much smaller than shown in the website pictures. The wind went down on the third evening and magically we gained 40 feet of beach overnight. Dredging and beach filling was going on in Cancun beaches and they were to be moving down the coast about a mile a week over the course of the next several months. They hoped to have all beaches back to normal early this year.
It was our first time out of the country - we'd have no problem returning to the same resort. We loved the intimacy of the smaller 8 room thatched roof villa type buildings versus a large multi story hotel type arrangement. All the rooms were quite close to the pools and/or beach. The grounds were kept immaculate, eventhough there was construction going on several areas, it didn't take away from the gardens' beauty.
This is a 3 star resort, but the staff and our stay I'd rate it a 4 star. Great vacation!

19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (694)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Reviewed March 20, 2006

We stayed at the Allegro March 11-18,2006. There is some beach which is enough , the theater is under construction and the buffet restaurant is open. The food is 9 out of 10. Tip and you'll find the staff go the extra mile for you.

I give it a 8.5 out of 10 and would go back again in an instant. Hurricane damage has construction going on all over Playa Del Carmen; so we had a few short periods without electricity and one 4 hour strech without water.

If your are a diver, Vincent and Gulia at Barracuda Dive Center are tops and very trustworthy to dive with.

They are working very hard to get everything back to 100% around the city, but there was a major hurricane, so expect changes

Do not use the internet or phone unless you want to spend a LOT of extra cash

9 Thank Buddy047
Reviewed March 20, 2006

Wellman, Iowa and just returned from 7 days at the Occidental Allegro Playacar. We stayed here at this same place exactly one year ago and wanted to come back. Our only concern was what hurricane damage had occured. Allego once again definitely met our expectations. Other than the beach erosion, from the hurricane, it is fantastic. We love this place and what impresses us the most is the great food, variety daily, and the wonderful staff. The staff is always very kind, polite, clean and neat and continuosly grooming the grounds. Don't forget the frozen drinks, wonderful! We are once again planning a trip in March of next year and will only stay at one place, the Allegro!

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 19, 2006

Thank you Allegro for a wonderful, relaxing week.

Allegro Playacar is low key, well maintained, fairly small and intimate with accommodations located in multiple buildings with 8 units each - 4 upper and 4 lower. We had a lower floor unit which overlooked the relaxation pool and a bit of a view of the ocean. The room had 2 double beds which was not large, but was adequate for 3 adults. The staff was pleasant and helpful and our room was always clean. A minor problem with our shower was repaired promptly. Food was good and plentiful for most of the day and served buffet style; however, later in the evening the menu was pretty limited. We made reservations at the beachside restaurant one night and although it was a bit windy right on the ocean the great food and service more than compensated.
You had the option to relax quietly or there was always something to do such as pool volleyball, aerobics, bingo, etc. and nightly shows. We tried the kayaks - small sail boats and boogie boards were also available. The beach is small and kept very clean. The evening shows were very entertaining - great dancing, elaborate costumes and a good mix of different themes.

The highlight of our week was our visit to Xcaret - don't miss it ! Playa del Carmen, Tulum and Xel-ha are also well worth visiting. We found the best deals for the sightseeing trips at Walmart.

This resort is good value for the money. We would definitely stay here again.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 19, 2006

I just returned from this hotel and I will say that it was a nightmare (at best) from start to finish. We started out with a terrible flight. We flew a charter flight on Funjet. Got to the airport and many people there waiting for the next person to "scam". Terribly busy airport esp on Thurs and Sun., so keep that in mind.

So, we get to the hotel....more people waiting to "scam" you for excursions, which by the way, are cheaper if you buy them in town. We were taken to our room via concierge. It was a rude awakening upon entering. Musty,damp smell and mold can be seen in the ceiling tiles. Very dirty floors. The shower has NO shower curtain so every time a shower is taken, there is a river of water to clean up from the shower to the bed. The worst part of the room for us was the mosquito infestation that it had. I had to literally try and kill all of them for an hour before bed to keep from getting bit during the night when the sheets slipped off. We spent several dollars on repelent and mosquito coils, but that didn't help anything. I came home with about 30 bites esp behind my ears and on my ankles. We did tell the desk, but nothing got done about it until the day we were to leave. As we were walking out of our room, there was a nice man walking up to our door with a sprayer. 5 days later!!! Had complained at least 3 times during the week, and to no avail, nothing was done. It didn't help either that the maid kept the door propped open during the day to clean, allowing anything insect wise to enter as it pleased. We also had NO electricity or hot water during some of the days of our stay. That means NO air conditioning in the heat of the day in an already musty, moldy, swamp-like room. Imagine it!

Also the bed is perched as a mattress on a concrete slap. It was honestly a lot like sleeping on a rock hard floor. Awful! The TV had 2 channels available in the English language which were E and Cartoon Network. Pathetic! I was sooo disgusted by this. Felt completely tuned out from the world with absolutley NO news channels.

Also there was NO beach to use. If you wanted to go to the beach, you had to walk over rocks to go walk to the nicer beaches down the way. The ocean in front of the resort was also NOT swimable as there are rocks that cut your feet upon entering the water. Another disappointment was that the hotel will not let it's patrons have the water equipment at times ie: windsurfers, boogey boards, catamaran. All things that were supposed to be part of the all-inclusive package. What a crock! Couldn't even really give an explanation why---- other than if the water was a little rough that you could get hurt. Funny the other resorts down the way let their patrons have all those things!

Was VERY frustrating NOT to have more to choose from restaurant wise. The 2 offered are a mexican cantina (which the food and service were good) or the other was an Italian style set up right next to the pool. It was very chilly at night and windy, so if you want to brave that, you can.....it's a set up outside....not restaurant style. I thought it was a poor choice to have people sitting outdoors during the evening hours. Both restaurants, however, are set up that way.

The few good things that I can say are these. I was never served anything without a smile. All the workers were especially cordial and did the best they could to be of service (aside from the front desk staff). I was impressed as well with the amount of work done by the maid services. They are very hard workers and did the best they could with what they had.

My overall review of this hotel is that it was a pathetic excuse for even opening. I do NOT feel that the renovation needed, after the hurricane wiped it out, is adequate. It should NOT be open until the mold problems and the lack beachfront are irradicated. It was very frustrating having NO electricity due to the workers needing it to be turned off. Not to mention the incessant pounding and nailing and sawing in the middle of the night was also ridiculous and completely rude. People are there to be on vacation, not to be awakened at 3 am by construction.

Good luck to anyone staying at this hotel! It was a joke from start to finish. I would NEVER stay here again. I'm sooo utterly disappointed at the amount of money we spent on the whole trip for all of it to be ruined by the lack of accomodations. Wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Plano, TX
Reviewed March 15, 2006

Probably would not stay there again.

Reviewed March 14, 2006

Just got back actually. No electricity when I got to my room, waited for them to fix that, no working TV until a nice maintenance man showed up, I tipped him. Food was terrible, I stuck to certain things that I could count on. No room service as advertised by my travel agent. If you wake up hungry, too bad. Drinks were fine but I'm not a big drinker to be fair. Web site boasts in room safe, I use these for my passport and credit cards, it was broken and gutted. The roofs have huts on them instead of roofs so plan on no rest, entertainment each night that actually vibrated my room until 10:30 PM, woke up to power tools and construction at 2:25 AM that went on all night. I love birds, but these horrible black birds scream at the crack of dawn at each other on the roof tops of each "hut". The people who work there are very nice, it's all this place has going for it. The grounds are beautuful and maitained well, but no beach at all anymore. there were many beautiful hotels on the same street, go to any of them. The Mayan ruins all down the street were facinating and I would love to go back..to a different hotel. The bathtub was stained, filthy, and broken, as was the shower head until late in the week. No shower door so be ready to wipe up all the water off the floor, which by the way, was always dirty. The pools were very nice, but good luck finding a chair to sit in. My favorite, I like to chain and bolt my door when I sleep at night, the trim on the door was broken and a gentle push lifted the trim away and the bolt was useless. The maids are over worked and have so much to do, I tipped her 2 times. The bed is concrete with a mattress, I could go on but you get the picture. A beautiful paradise and a horrible hotel.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#38 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Allegro Playacar? Share your experiences!