“We would never recommend this hotel.”
Review of Allegro Playacar

Allegro Playacar
Ranked #78 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed July 25, 2014

We stayed at this resort from July 1-8th, 2014. We have vacationed all over Mexico staying in more then 20 different resorts. This resort is by far the worst resort we've ever stayed at. The room had no a/c. I spilled a beer the first day in our room and it was never cleaned up. Broke a glass on my patio and requested it be cleaned up for 4 consecutive days. Cockroaches in our room. The bathroom is so dirty. My sheets had stains on them. The card reader on our door wouldn't work and we were locked out of our room on more then 10 occasions. The food left much to be desired. The pools were filthy dirty. No service around the pool. They even closed the restaurant at the pool one day cause it was raining!!! The only thing positive was the beautiful beach, but this isn't owned by the hotel. Never stay here.

• Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank Graywendy12
Guest Experienc... G, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Allegro Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2016

Dear
We would like to thank you for choosing the Allegro Playacar as the host of your recent vacation
One of our main goals is to work on a daily basis to constantly improve our services and guest satisfaction, and for that reason your opinion is very important for us!
We really hope you can give us the opportunity to host your stay once again; we will make sure you have a pleasant stay and a memorable experience. Should you require any assistance, please know that we are always available for you.

Guest Experience Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (5,620)

Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

We were there from July 8th through the 19th. We had to switch rooms three times because there were flying ants all over the room and no AC the second time no AC finally the third time again no AC and a very bad smell in the bathroom the only good thing was the service by some of the people. We will never go back to that hotel and I'll make sure I let friends and family members know not to stay the
re.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank robert c

Reviewed July 21, 2014

Three of us had a girls week at the Allegro July 12-19. We had 2 rooms.

The hotel was pretty much as I had expected. It was not the plushest resort I have ever stayed at, but we were very satisfied with everything. I had expected to have to wait for our rooms to be ready as we arrived at the hotel around noon, but after we checked in and went and had lunch, they were ready. The rooms are rather dated and dark, had a feeling more like a cabin. The lighting is rather poor, the beds were hard (as they usually are in Mexico) and the air conditioning was minimal. None of these were a huge issue for any of us. There was a small refrigerator in the room that was filled daily (all we used was the water). The rooms were kept very clean and we all got a good night sleep.

The beach was great! I have been so impressed over the past few years as to how the beaches have recovered from the hurricanes that went through. There were plenty of lounge chairs on the beach and around the pool. We were able to get a palapa daily by getting to the beach early. There were a variety of activities around the pool daily, we took part in the water aerobics and a couple of other things. The entertainment staff worked hard and made the Allegro a fun place to be.

The resort had very few Americans or Canadians this time of year. Most of the guest were Europeans, primarily Italians and Germans.

We found the food to be very good for all of the meals. Generally we only had lunch and dinner, but did have breakfast once. The was a good variety of foods daily. The main restaurant where breakfast and dinners are served were very hot as there is no air-conditioning. Each night the buffet had a different theme. We ate once each at the Mexican and Italian restaurants, they were very good!

The bars/drinks were great. They had a wide variety of liquors and lots of top shelf options. The bar staff, like all of the resort employees, were outstanding. The knew how to make a wide variety of drinks and would make anything else that patrons knew how to make.

I had emailed ahead and requested rooms next to each other. Because of this, we were given vip writstbands. With this status we were given our in-room safe free, invited to a special cocktail gathering for those who had used social media to contact the hotel where they had drawings for gifts, they filled our refrigerator daily rather than every other day, and our last night there each room was sent a beautifully decorated plate with chocolate dipped strawberries. We really didn’t speak to other vacationers to see if they got the same treatment, but it was a nice touch. Lidia from Guest Relations came out to the beach a couple of times and chatted, asking if everything was ok, etc.

To sum this all up, we had a great time and would go back again. I would probably be careful to recommend this hotel as it is not a five or even four star resort. I have friends that would have hated the resort as they want nicer rooms. The Allegro suited me just fine this trip! We knew what to expect and the resort met our expectations. The price was perfect as was the location. (I will only stay in Playacar because of the great beaches and proximity to 5th Avenue).

4  Thank MNWinterHater
Guest Experienc... G, Manager at Allegro Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2015

Dear MinnesotaWinterhater

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience. For us, its extremely important to achieve customer satisfaction, and therefore, your opinion is an opportunity for us to discover new ways to improve

Christian Cuevas
Guest Experience Department

Reviewed July 21, 2014

My travel companion and I arrived at the Allegro, at 13:30 in the afternoon and we did not get access to our FOR ONE NIGHT ONLY UPGRADED TWIN BEDROOM before 18:15 in the evening. We had a booking for a twin bedroom for the 4 nights stay. During our lengthy discussions with the hotel representative Silvia, who kept reminding us that she was trying to help us find a solution. Though the HELP was that there was no twin bedroom available nor was there two single or double rooms available and no upgrades either.......there was NOTHING she could do......... how about reminding me what the word HELP means........... eventually she gave us an upgrade to a twin bedroom for one night. The next afternoon we were given a twin bedroom, meaning that it was pointless to unpack all our belongings until the following evening.
I can further mention the room features such as TV, A/C and fridge was only at 50% capacity or none at all.
The 10$ per day WIFI access is ridiculous priced. Log in required when the network is inactive for appx. 15 min.
We were a group of 11 guests, and when trying to book a table in the Italien or Mexican restaurant for the evening meal (these restaurants were included in our all inclusive package), but we were told that his was reserved for the Occidental members............ The restaurants were near enough empty during the evening.............. makes you wonder why we weren't granted a reservation there apart from one evening.
We did not feel particular welcome at this hotel.............!

2  Thank Lisbeth S

Reviewed July 21, 2014

I am really confused as to what all the hype is over the social media. I too contacted Sylvia via social media, with two requests, I was traveling with 9 individuals 3 of which were 77 years and older, we booked 4 Superior Premium rooms which means they are closer to the beach and asked if they can put us as close together as possible within the resort as it makes managing activities for me a lot easier, My other request was that the two rooms housing the individuals who were over 77 plus be placed on the first floor as climbing steps can be rough especially for my uncle who will often use a walker. I have to tell you none of this was done, even after speaking to Sylvia several times via email, nothing, we were all in different buldings and in fact I was placed on the complete opposite side of the resort from the rest of my family. The two rooms requested on first floor again was not accomadated. I asked Sylvia why and can she do anything about it and was told no, but if something came up in a day or so we could move. Oh they lead you to believe you are VIP guest when you arrive, they contact Sylvia so she can personally come and give you a private check in, news flash, no one was checking in when we arrived, and also our amenities and refrigerator would be stocked daily, which never happened. Our rooms were closer to the beach but we paid for this so this was by no means a gift. Its seems as though Sylvia made no effort to even try to accomadate any of my requests. viOther than what I mentioned there was no real benefit to going through social media what so ever, but rather a gimmack utilized for advertising, obviously a benefit to resort not the customer. All a scam to make you believe you are getting something and to possibly take your mind off of how bad things could get. If it wasn't for the non management workers and all the servers, and of course the beach, I don't think my family would have handled all the issues as gracefully as we did..
We had problems with two out of the 4 rooms booked, no air condition and leaks everywhere, Sylvia did not assist, but rather, 12 oclock that evening the girl at the reception desk Jacqueline saved the day and gave my family two rooms to sleep in without moving and promised if the air in the booked rooms was not fixed the next day, they would find us comparable rooms, God bless her, she was so patient and kind and we did end up moving the next day to rooms with air condition that worked for the most part or at least better than what we already had.
The resort is in a perfect location, the beach is premier which is really what we look for most when booking a trip, believe me, we travel often and I can honestly say my family rated this beach in the top 3 its that good, however, they really need to invest a little in the rooms. Yes the price was extremly reasonable so we knew not to have high expectations and usually we are not all that hard to please anyway. We know everyone says you don't spend a lot of time in the room, which is true, so we can usually overlook the small details of ar room or a high rated resot, but the rooms were really, really, gross in fact and beyond how you invision your vacation. The air didn't work very well or at all in some rooms, the floors always felt dirty, there were a lot of spiders, there was no room for luggage and clothes, the toilet clogged in 2 of the rooms, the safes broke several times again, in two of the rooms, the beds consisited of a boxed spring placed on top of a concrete slab with an egg crate piece of foam on top to try and mask how awful it truly is and if you were in a second floor room with the thatched roofs, the room had a constant aroma like a mans dirty urinal, it was just awful. I will say if you called the front desk for assistance with a problem in your room they did show up immediately to try and recitfy the problem, but some things just couldnt be fixed.
The food was average and wealways found something to eat. Jacob one of the servierss was one of the best we've ever had, on any vacation, in any location, so accomdating and always took care of you with a smile, even came down to the beach to locate us before he left for the day to get us drinks. This was very typical of most of the servers as they definintely over compensate for the downfalls of the resort accomadations, I would go so far as to to give the service 5 stars they are wonderful and really work very hard to make you comfortable.. They did have two specialty restaurants but unfortuantely because there was 9 of us we could only get a reservation for one night in the Italian and that wasn't till 9 pm, even Sylvia couldn't help with that, instead she promised to send champagne and strawberries to all our rooms, one room recieved champagne, the other 3 just recieved strawberries, however we were all inconvenieced. Its a real shame that we could not take advantage of the restaruants and believe me, we've traveled to all-inclusives as a family at least a dozen times previously and never had this problem before.
All in all the beach was amazing, which was the saving grace for our family vacation and we all tried to make the best of it and enjoy ourselves. If only they'd invest in the rooms, between the beach and the service the resort could be premier. Would I return, if they upgraded the rooms to resemble their vacation club yes, if not, I would definitely returns to playacar for the beach and the people, but sdly I will research the area for better resort accomadations.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms, only the vacation clubs rooms are worth returning for if you could even get...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed July 21, 2014

Where to I begin?! I had read a lot of reviews already on Allegro Playacar and some are true but most are not! This trip was my 3rd time visiting all inclusive resorts, 2nd time in Mexico. Allegro is older yes but it doesn't lack in charm and fun!

When my friend and I arrived we were warmly greeted and got checked in after a short wait. There is a margarita bar waiting 3 steps away on the counter so we were happily occupied. Then we met the very friendly Javier that sat us down just outside the lobby to explain to us the ins and outs of the resort. Dining times, locations, restaurants, activities, room amenities, pools, entertainment, and even suggested were to go and eat in Playa. After that we were taken to our room were our luggage was waiting. The room was all set up for us, I had contacted Silvia via Email before hand for the VIP facebook promotion. We had a bottle of champagne, fruit plate and fun towel flower decorations in the room. The room AC was lacking so I mentioned it to the front desk clerk and a maintenance person was over within the hour to work on it. It worked great the entire visit after that. The beds: everyone keeps mentioning being so stiff, they were awesome. I was very comfortable!

I had purchased a excursion to Tulum online before we arrived through a different company. The morning of our excursion there was a miscommunication from the pick up and they did not come. I asked the front desk to call the company. Jackie and Mellisa together spent 40 minutes speaking to 3 different people to help me work out this mistake. They had a lot of customers at the front desk to help at that time but still helped me resolve this issue even it wasn't something I purchased from them. If it were not for them I would of been out the money and excursion! I am extremely grateful for their help and patience.

Other points to mention about this resort that was stellar: The food, It was GREAT! They had a very good variety daily and we had some dishes that were DELICIOUS! I suppose there are resorts with better food buffets and restaurants sure, but Allegro was excellent. The Mexican and Italian restaurants were top notch as well. I served 4 years in a upper priced steak restaurant serving 4-6 courses. The service and presentation at the resort was spot on, even wine presentation. The entertainment staff: From the very 1st morning my friend and I visited the main pools swim up bar, we were approached by Ever, Rueben, Phillip, Jarmando, and later met Iman and Selma. They were so much fun! We danced salsa lessons at the pool, I played beach volleyball with Phillip and Ever. We went to clubs in Playa with them, we watched the fire show, and they would sit down with the resort visitors during lunch. I led a yoga class when Iman and Selma asked me to, one morning at the pool! It was all fabulous!
Last but not least there is Silvia: This woman does a darn good job keeping everyone happy and accommodated. She sent us everything we asked for plus some. Water (we got a whole case, we drink a lot of water) Champagne (a bottle even though its not served every night.) Dinner reservations (squeezing us in for our busy schedule) Chocolate covered strawberries TWICE! She even offered to let us move closer to the beach but we decided not too since we were happy with our AC and accommodations.

The resort all together was the very best I had ever been too for the overall experience. I will be going back. It is 3 stars of the most fun you will have hands down! Its older yes, its hot yes, its small rooms yes: all worth it, unless your allergic to having fun :)

2  Thank Kristen H

Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

This was a last minute trip f or my wife and I. After the winter we had my birthday & fathers day wad the best time to get away. At Cancun airport we had private transportation waiting for us provided by a company working with the resort. The SUV was clean and the ride smooth.
Our check in took longer than expected but the end result was we were upgraded to VIP status. Our room was stocked with four different alcohols and the small icebox full of beer, Soda and water.
The two restaurants on site, Italian & Mexican cuisine, were good except that if you wanted better wine (not the house wine) you had to pay for it. I never had to pay at an all inclusive resort...The buffet was nice and the workers exceptionally helpful.
The entertainment staff during the day by the pool & beach and the ones during the evening are very talented, fun, and approachable. They crave crowd participation and I participated in everything. .. I would definitely return.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple