“Fabulous Time! We will be back!!”
Review of Allegro Playacar

Allegro Playacar
Ranked #80 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed September 30, 2013

This was my frist time at Allegro Playacar and I will be back! What makes this resort so great is the staff! They are all incredible people!

There are so many that deserve mention. My friends and I saw them most of the week and they always did their best to make sure we got the best service! I would like to give very special and sincere thank you to:
Ivan - the best bartender EVER- I swear he has more than 2 hands), making drinks for the restaurant, buffet lounge and customers at the bar, and NEVER without a smile and never in a bad mood! :)
Fidel - Our first waiter...really set the tone for the service we were going to expect. Always with a smile....Fabulous job! Introduced us to the Chiquita Sexy drink! Try it, it's great!!! He was by far one of our favourites! :)
Neri - Made my coffee every morning, and it was the best cappucinos! I couldn't live without them! :) And he got me addicted to the cookies......I'm sure I gained some weight eating them :)
Manuel(s) (there were 2 of them). They were so funny, always made us smile!
Angel(s)-One was the bartender, great personality, always smiling, and the other Angel, in the buffet lounge (always making sure everything was running smoothly)
Blanca & Lenny!!! -Always with a smile! We loved them too! :) Always great to us! Thank you!
Jacob-We always saw him at breakfast and lunch!!! He made us laugh almost everyday!! :) My friend was Japanese and he wanted to learn how to say hello, and said Ko Nee Chi Wa to us every morning :)
Jorge - Our waiter for the last 2 days! Such a great personality and uber efficient!
Dalia and Melesio - In the spa! Thank you, it was a great way to end my vacation!! You were both fantastic!
Also a big thank you to Luis, Octavio, Freddy and anyone else we may have missed.
Don't want to forget the front desk staff as well! Special thanks to Viviana and Jesus!

Honourable mention needs to go to Entertainment Staff!!! WOW!!: Israel(s), both of them, and Jorge!! These guys worked all day, pool activities, contests and then preformed at night for us! They work so incredibly hard! Not to mention they are all so talented!!! I've been to 5 star resort where entertainment was not even close to being as good!! I can't say enough about them!!

The resort was the perfect size! So it doesn't really matter what room you stay in. You could easily walk to the beach, buffet, pools. I'm not a fan of huge resorts where you need to take a golf cart or a bus to go to the washroom! HA!

The resort is a bit dated, but very very clean!!! We had a few issues with our a/c not working for 4 out of the 7 days we were there, which made sleeping a tad uncomfortable, But they always were doing their best to get it fixed, and did eventually!

Also the location in Playa Del Carmen is great! Close to all major attraction and the city where you are walk around and enjoy the local life. It really does give you a bit of everything!

I hope to be back someday! I really enjoyed it! I've been to a 5 star resort, where you pay more, and the service is just OK. But when you pay a fair price and are treated this well by everyone there, you really feel the value all around.

I sincerely hope management at the hotel recognizes all these wonderful people!!

L

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank LD C

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Me and my girlfriend found a great deal for a flight and a 3 night stay in this all-inclusive resort and we are so glad! SO MANY POSITIVES! first off, playa del carmen is a beautiful place and the beach is UN REAL. crystal clear water and soft white sand make this easily one of the best beaches i've ever had the pleasure to see (if not the best). I must say I live in Miami and grew up in Dominican Republic so I've seen my share. The rooms are nothing special but are not bad. The food varied from great (italian and mexican) to average (asian and american) but the Italian restaurant (not buffet) was INCREDIBLE! We were blessed with great weather and generally it was a quiet place so it was very relaxing. The crew was amazing (especially Octavio) , everybody was funny and always looking out for us. The entertainment guys were also great and everybody made us feel welcome and happy. TWO downfalls: Mosquitos (not many but enough to bother) and I found the drinks to be very soft, I had to ask for extra alcohol to get a buzz. However, these downfalls do not take away that this is a great place for you to vacation and I would def. go there AGAIN!

p.s. Coco-Bongo is worth every penny!!!!

2  Thank TravelingCesar
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My wife and I were celebrating our 30th anniversary and spent from Sept 12-19 at this resort and would like to thank Jose, Sarai, Santiago and Adel for making the trip a better experience due to the rain, rain rain that week. It probably helped being first club members for a few things but we still ate and saw the entertainment(in between rain storms) as everyone else in the resort. Jose knew that we were there for our 30th and had balloons and chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us .Our bed was rock hard I mentioned it to Sarai and that day a foam pad was installed which made all the difference I must say that we were at this resort in Aug 2012 and the food was much better this time which was our main complaint last time. Everyone works hard to keep the resort as clean and safe as possible . I like going here because of the location and the beach, a 2k walk to Playa del Carmen or walk the other direction and explore a little.The biggest "problem" we faced was no internet because a storm had wiped out the wifi earlier in the week. We were there to relax and get away so no big deal. Sure there were signs of the weather around but the staff did what ever they could to remedy the situation as fast as they could. This is our 5th time in the playacar area in the last 3 years and the first time weather clouded the vacation(pun intended)
We will be back. We did go to the Royal Hideaway for a few days to see what the differences would be like and I must say that the treatment we got from both places was excellent. I would give the allegro a 3.5 star and when all of the renovations are done this will go up I am sure

Reviewed September 26, 2013

I travelled about 2 weeks ago with my boyfriend for our anniversary, we are both students so we knew we needed to find a cheap place. including air fair we paid about 850$ each for a week (plus round trip transfers). I think considering what the resort had to offer it was well worth it. What you read in reviews are pretty well accurate so know what to expect when you get there, this is not a 5star resort, however the service staff works very hard at dinner and the bars. this resort needs updates as far as the swim up bar tiles and bathroom tiles, and even the rooms floors, but i was happy to see the thatched roofs beeing redone while we were there.People had alot of comments about the timeshare people but they said come talk to us later when we were walking by and never bugged us after that. Also the beds were not as bad as everyone makes them out to be, 90% of the day your not even in your room. we had a bottom floor room with perfectly fine AC and our cleaning person had our room well kept everyday. The connecting door is really bad at being a sound barrier you can hear everything the other person is doing in the room next too you. the safe in the room was free, but warning internet insn't, it wasnt a big deal though Playacar plaza is a 3 minute walk from the resort and it has free wifi at starbucks. the food was actually really good i found something every day that i liked, and the entertainment was alot of fun make sure you find time to see it every night. all in all under the circumstances i dont think i will choose this resort again, since we were tight on money it was an easy choice but next time around i will be going to a 5star. also be sure to check out xelha, xplor or chitchen itza those are my three favorites and well worth the money.

2  Thank bertran1
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Let me start by saying i think the terrible weather maybe has clouded our judgment of this hotel a little as we noticed many faults that we probably wouldnt have paid as much attention too had we not had to keep running back to our room in the daily downpours!
we travel every year for our hols in sep,so we know to expect rain......but we were unlucky this year,but i dont think the hotel does anything to accomodate there guests in the downpours which at times lasted a long time..the annimation team did nothing to entertain guests at all in the rain from what i could see, so most times we ended up back in our room, as our patio faced the sea and we couldnt sit out on it during the storms as we got soaked. thats when you notice the things that make this hotel a 3star at most.
We were not expecting 4or5 star treatment but surely a few board games set out in the lobby in the storms is not too much to ask ,if you got caught up there was nothing to do but sit and wait for the storm to pass.This is the only hotel we have been too,whatever star rating,that does not provide umbrellas in the room at this time of year,and you couldnt even get one from reception,so the lobby shop must have made a fortune from guests.Health and safety a big issue in the wet weather,especially around the pool bar and snack area,only one slip mat,people slipping all over the place,not good. Food....breakfast..o.k..no bacon for 2weeks,but good sausages. Lunch...very good,fab guacamole and french stick really fresh...Dinner...first week..awfull...2nd week 100% better,,go figure!....Drinks..really good,except no straws to drink cocktails,found that a bit odd,also,basic thing like coasters not provided so tables always really wet,and big drips all over your clean clothes everytime you pick your drink up.The mexican restaurant,o.k no atmosphere,average food,,kept hearing the microwave ping,,,not that fresh ! The italian was better.Lack of seats around the main restaurant bar which was really annoying as there is know where else to go and relax with a drink in the bad weather other than around the pool bar,which again lacks atmosphere,no background music,and if the mexican restaurant was closed that night,which it was alot..your pretty much left in the dark,as they close off the restaurant and dont provide any lighting at all other than that around the bar,even outside on a dry night...not good. Pools...lovely,especially the quiet pool,despite the seagulls which entertained me...i noticed the pools being checked and cleaned daily.We never had any problems with getting clean pool towels as many times a day as we requested. The beach was beautiful,wide with white sand,the sea on a good day was gorgeous,calm and warm,never had a problem with sun loungers at the beach or around the pools,however i can see in peak season how this would be a problem..it was a lovely walk along the beach to playa del carmen,which is a great little town with plenty of bars and restaurants and souvinear shops..go to wallmart for your booze..mega cheap..litre of smirnoff...£6.50 !!!! The rooms..very basic,clean bed linen everyday,plenty of clean towels...cleaning..hit and miss...the bed spread on top of bed,like and old horse blanket thats seen better days,very hard and scratchy,not nice to sit on at all. The staff throughout the hotel were very good,lovely people who worked hard.The evening shows that we saw..pretty bad...very bad..think they need a bigger budget ! the theatre in dry season probably fab...awfull in the rain,seats and floor absolutely soaked,you couldnt sit in there when it was raining. On the whole we had a decent holiday despite the weather,the hotel is having a refurbishment in the next year or two apparently,maybe then it can be great again,it has alot of great features,but theres so many basic things that let it down ,which is a shame because the grounds and location are fabulous.Maybe when its had a makeover we would go back again,but think i have discovered i like the little luxeries of a 5star hotel...better save some more :)

Room Tip: higher room numbers close to beach and pools,fab ocean view,e.mail sylvia at guest services see what...
2  Thank beachbunny2013
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We had a great vacation at the Allegro Playacar. I had emailed a couple of days before we arrived and the front desk people were waiting for our arrival. They did everything to make our stay what we wanted. We were close to the beach in room 5502, beautiful view and comfortable. My husband and I don't go for all the fancy stuff, we go to relax at a nice small and friendly resort and enjoy the beach. All the staff were exceptionally friendly and as helpful as they could be. Despite the unsettled weather we had plenty of sunshine during our stay. I would recommend this resort for anyone just wanting to relax. The price was unbeatable and we will absolutely return in a heartbeat!!

Travelled September 15th - 22nd 2013
Ontario, Canada

Reviewed September 23, 2013

We were on vacation from July 29 to August 5, 2013 with a party of 24 guest. On the first day after checking in my oldest son went to the bar pool and due to poor maintenance when he went into to pool he cut the bottom of his foot he received 6 stitches at the hospital. The pool was in horrible condition. The next day due to poor maintenance also at the bar my 76 yr old father slipped due to floor being so went he dislocated his shoulder and broke foot, nothing was done by the hotel for him. The rooms are nasty, they smell like drainage, A/C doesn't work. We had a horrible experience at this hotel. I would not recommend this hotel to no one it's just horrible worst than a MOTEL with a beach. Pay a little more and stay somewhere else were they treat you nice,rooms are better and the foods tastes better too! So please think twice when you make reservation to this hotel. Still as of now they don't want to pay for medical expenses that my father sustained at their hotel which SUCK!! Hope this review helps you!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank gorda35
SocialMedia_Ctor, Social Media Coordinator at Allegro Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear Gorda35,

Thank you for the time you took to send us your comments. The comfort of our guests is top priority, and it appears we may have fallen short of this. Please know we will address this with our management and necessary measures will be taken.

We value your feedback as it allows us to continuously improve upon the highs standards of service we strive for deliver.

We want to truly apologize that you had encountered not the 100 percent best service during your entire stay, about your concerns the room´s maintenance. We know can do and we will improve on a daily basis.

Thank you again for your comments.

Sincerely