“the good the bad”
Review of Allegro Playacar

Allegro Playacar
Ranked #80 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I hope this review will be of some help....
We arrived at the hotel Aug. 3, beautiful resort, beautiful grounds. Upon arriving the staff was in a meeting behind the front desk and it took some time in getting their attention. I set up ahead of time to have the upgraded rooms ( 2 ocean front ). Those upgraded rooms were not available and we were issued a letter for our travel agent to reimburse us for those rooms, i'm curious to see if that will really work! We were instantly greeted by the "time share" on staff, very nice man, who wanted to sent us to look at another property. I honestly has been up since 6 am , traveled all day and not interested in listening to anything, I wanted food. We got into our rooms, looking clean and nicely decorated and ran to find food. The ONLY thing open at the time was the pizza shack, not exactly pizza I would ever pay to eat but OK and we were starving! there was a little sandwich area in the same location but the cheese was melted and the meat warm. No thanks. we walked down to the beach, relaxed and then dressed for dinner. Every night has a theme. Figured with a buffet there would be plenty for everyone. In fact, the food was a bit different and although there was variety, all foods had lots of ingredients ( meaning my picky eaters found finding something to eat VERY difficult!) they would have lived off salad even but there was no ranch.... YES I have picky eaters. The food in general was OK, I was not excited about the taste of really anything. The waiters were Extremely friendly and entertaining. ( I quickly learned that so far Mexico has by far been the most "tippy " place I have ever been to! I have been to all inclusives where tips were included, this is not one of those, I had no problem leaving a few dollars at meals because the staff was very good!
We made one reservation for the Mexican restaurant on the grounds, and though I felt the food was better here than at the buffet, still lots of onions and peppers ( picky eaters) the wait staff here was exceptional!
We did have to speak with the front desk multiple times for a broken safe, bit of a language barrier at times but they all tried ( always looked for Carmen whose English was great and so sweet) when signing the open safe ledger, you can't help but to notice that ALOT of safes don't work properly and the young man who came out to fix it said most don't work. THe last time it broke , there were 3 people trying to fix it and we were waiting to leave for the beach for over an hour. minor inconvienice they were very friendly.
We really explored the grounds and there are some beautiful areas and great tropical photo spots. the beach is beautiful! beach volley ball was a great way to meet people from ALL over the WORLD!
lots of comments about hard beds, yes they are, they do have a foam egg crate mat on the bed. but could definitely be upgraded, they looked very old. Lots of domestic drunk episodes and thin walls made for a few interesting evenings.
My kids had a room with a thatched roof. Very cool looking but does smell like a barn ( hay) and LOT of bugs in the beds ( the rooms seem to be open at the top making it very easy to hear others ) the room was below and did not have the same bug issues and couldn't hear others as easily)
I might go back to this location as the staff was friendly and it was a great trip, minor issues, I think the kids would like some of the nearby hotels that we saw soccer goals on the beach! and perhaps food more appealing to them.
I don't want it to sound like we didn't like the place because it really was a fun vacation. No one got sick so there fore sanitation seems to be on par too!!

Room Tip: bottom rooms have less bugs, top rooms with thatched rooms have a great view. the upgraded rooms hav...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank valynne1

Reviewed August 13, 2013

They deliver on their value promise. You get more than you pay for. If you want an inexpensive quality vacation, Allegro Playacar is for you. Therefore, I give them 5 stars. Great job to Julieta, head of Guest Services. She is smart, listens well, nice to talk to, and gets things done.

Allegro Playacar is a clean, small resort. No big statues or grand staircases. No waiting in long lines. No trolley to your room needed. Only takes three minutes to walk from lobby to the beach. Perfect if you set your expectations & then enjoy your trip. If you want a resort with “GRAND PALACE DELUXE” in the name, then go ahead & stay there…but you’ll pay 10x more. I don’t think you’ll get 10x better.

The rooms are older, small, but clean. Air conditioning needs some help. Eventually the workers got it fixed. Beds are typical Mexican hard, so ask for a mattress foam topper. We had plenty of towels, water, minifridge beer & sodas, and a nice size electronic safe that could hold a laptop. Showers are older. If only the curtain was one inch longer, water would stay in the shower & not spill onto the floor.

We ate incredibly well. Not sure where people saying “bland food” ate. EVERYTHING had wonderful flavor. Food was presented nicely. In the main buffet, you can choose the air-conditioned room or the main dining area. AC for me!

The beach, like everyone says, is on the best section of Playacar. It’s widest, cleanest, and not too busy. Waves were small but fun for my kids to boogie board. The hobie cats & kayaks are free to use at their sister property next door, the Royal Hideaway. Go there to reserve or have the pool guys call over in the morning. Books up quickly. Best sailing is 2-4pm when the winds are up.

Towel game was in force sad to say. I was up at 7am for coffee & reading by the pool only to find most shaded chairs taken. Oh well. This happens at every resort & will never change.

Not sure about this entertainment team. I don’t think they are alive. They just sit in their hut, look at their cell phones, play the same music day after day, and basically do nothing. Julieta, please give them a kick in the pants. Daytime activities are the same EVERY DAY. Look at the board. It’s almost funny to read. Why waste the time writing the days of the week since it’s always the same! Sneak them to nearby properties so they can observe how to lead fun times. It’s bad when you’re looking forward to 3:30 bingo!

Sorry to say the Kids Club was a bust. Facility was shaded but outdoors. And the one guy counselor there looks like he hated his job assignment. When I approached him as he sat alone looking at his phone in the Kids Club, I asked if he takes kids out to the pool or beach to play and have fun. He simply said, “No. I must stay here in case others are looking for me.” That didn’t stop him from hanging the “CLOSED” sign on the gate most of the time. So my two kids refused to go. Frankly, I wouldn’t leave them here unless something changes.

Shows performed by the professional dance troupe were good. Same with the Mayan cultural show. But anything led by the entertainment team was not good. The so called “comedy show” was anything but funny. They dragged each skit out 15 minutes! And the punch line wasn’t worth the wait. They need some comic help! And “Mr. Allegro” audience participation show is a bad copy of every other resort’s show of similar script.

Best server by far: Jacobo. You’ll see him working the breakfast buffet serving in the air conditioned dining room, then the rest of the day he’s running around the pool & beach serving drinks to your chair! He remembers your order & brings one when he thinks you’ll need it. Of course, we tipped him well because he deserved it. Also high marks to the pool bartenders. They worked hard and smart, somehow staying calm in the heat of battle against pushy demanding tourists. At least toss them a buck tip once a day?!?!

Even though I slam this resort for certain areas, I came for rest and relaxation at a very low price. I don’t care that the entertainment team is sleeping. This is the place if you’re looking for the best value resort at the lowest price. Food & beach are excellent, rooms are simple and clean, and go with the right attitude to enjoy the experience. If you want The Grand Palace Whatever, then go there & pay for it. Set your expectations, and you’ll love everything. Again high marks to Julieta.

Room Tip: Like everyone says, higher number buildings are closer to the pool & beach and quieter at night...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
11  Thank SeaBass
Reviewed August 9, 2013

The resort is small the rooms are dated but the staff works very hard to keep it up and give you what you want loved our stay. Food was good lots of choices. we will go back for the 4th time. Rooms are well taken care of. the staff is always doing something.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank nanny74
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Our room was dirty, both restaurants serve mostly Italian- read filler -foods. The staff is few and far between and everything is extra. The entertainers were nice young people who deserve a better place to work. Yuck. We went here because we waited too long to get into the riviera maya riu, we won't make that mistake again.

• Stayed: April 2013
5  Thank Kimberly M
ItzeSocialMedia_Ctor, Social Media Coordinator at Allegro Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Dear Kimberly M,

Thank you for sent us your comments. We really sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. Please accept our sincerest apologies for your experience at Allegro Playacar.
Excellence is what we strive to be known for; your feedback is extremely important, it enables us to continually improve our service.

The departments involved are aware about your experience. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the issues, prevent future occurrences and improve our guest’s experience.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

We arrived at 12:00 Noon on July 30 for six days and were given wrist bands to enjoy lunch. The hotel has a policy that the check in is at 3:00. They will not check you in 1 minute before 3:00. This is a policy that they strictly adhere to. When you are given your wrist bands you will be greeted at the counter by a gentleman offering you a cerveza or margaruita who will tell you that he has been assigned to show you a map of the facility so that you can find your way around. He wears a nice outfit with Allegro Playacar on it, but he is actually the dreaded time share salesman. We checked in to our room at 3:00 and found the room temperature to be around 80 F. The temperature of the room varied between 78 F and 82 F depending on the time of the day and night. I had them come and check it one day with no success. The room is very dated, but everything was in working order. It helps to keep the bathroom door closed to preserve cooling because in most of the rooms the bathroom windows do not close. The beds are hard and it is advised that you order the mattress pads when checking in. There is no cost and it really helps, unless you like a very firm bed. The staff was friendly and helpfull whenever needed. If you need anything taken care of at the front desk you should see Eric. He gets things done. The rest of the front desk staff while nice don't really seem like they know what you are trying to say. We found the food to be very good on each visit and the selection was satisfactory. We were never sickened from any meal. We scheduled the Mexican dinner for our anniversery and found the food and atmosphere outstanding. Our waiters Octavio and Miguel were also outstanding. They sang to us and our room was decorated on our return. We also enjoyed the bartender Lucas. Our lack of Spanish and his lack of English made the conversations interesting. There are many workers every day making sure that the grounds are top notch. I only have 2 complaints about the Allegro Playacar. 1. They need to update the rooms and cooling system(if you are in the room only to sleep it's still too warm.) 2. They must sell daily passes to the locals for swimming and drinking. Most days were not bad, but on Saturday there were about 200 locals overtaking the pools and crowding out the bar. When trying to get thru to get a drink I found these people to be very rude. They look at you like you are crashing their private party. And I almost forgot about the mosquitos that are in the lobby. They hang around floor level and bite your ankles. Anytime you enter the lobby you should have your legs sprayed. There are vendor carts outside of the lobby that contract with the hotel. The guy selling the Cuban Cigars insist his are real and even shows some you fakes, but his are also fake. Some of the nightly shows were actually pretty good.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank BobHawk507
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 10 days from 27th April.The beach and pools are clean and nice.The view is an amazing.Food is lovely and lots of choices:)We had great time.Thanks to all animation team who is doing good job!!!!!!They've been so nice,we will miss you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!The bungalow had broken roof and one night was raining so we had all water inside-horrible.We get another one and was fine there.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 870Karolina
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I recently stayed at this resort between the dates of 7-5-13 to 7-12-13 with my son and my father and we all had a wonderful time. We encountered no issues at all, the ac worked fine, the shower worked fine, check in was simple and the people at this resort worked very hard to ensure that we had a great experience. When reading the complaints it seems that the people who didn't like this place didn't pay attention to it's rating and were expecting the Ritz Carlton for a motel 6 price. I don't need a waterfall in my room to have a great time on vacation. The beach at this resort was fantastic, the food was good and there was enough variety to keep my party satisfied all week. This place is a steal for the price they are charging. Seems to me that the complainers are people who should not leave their native countries.... I would come back here in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
#51 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Viva Wyndham Azteca
Viva Wyndham Azteca
#75 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Allegro Playacar? Share your experiences!