“I will recomend to friends!”
Review of Allegro Playacar

Allegro Playacar
Ranked #77 of 215 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Hello, I just to say that I really enjoyed my trip to this hotel, its my second time in mexico and first time to this hotel. The best this about this hotel , is the staff, alway cheerful and helpful, nothing to say about it. I really enjoyed our waiter at the buffet Alex or alejandro , their bairman Ivan and our houskeeping Jose , all did a very great job.

The beach is all white sand, no need to have shoes in the water.

The only thing I was disapointed with was the roof our room. Its not sound proof. I could really ear everything from outside et the room next to each other, even if the only cough ... but beside this I would consider going back there.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ljon
Write a ReviewReviews (5,489)

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We recently stayed for a week at the Occidental Allegro Playacar and the review is mixed, but the overall experience was wonderful. We were there as members of the First Club, and that went a long way toward making the experience wonderful. The property is older, but we are not spoiled travelers so if the basics are good, we are fine. The personnel at the Club couldn't have been nicer. We truly felt pampered by the Club. We were upgraded to an amazing room overlooking the beach. 4711, two bedroom apartment (there were 4 of us) if you want to know. That said, the air conditioning was minimal and the door never locked. What was the result of that? We weren't as cool (actually warm at times) as if we'd been at home yet we were as safe as if we'd been at home. Do I think a corporation as large as Occidental should fix a lock and AC? Absolutely. Do I think anyone I came in contact with thought we were in danger? No. I spoke with another guest who said her room was cold, so it is hit or miss. We visited the adjoining properties and decided our beach front room was more valuable than the amenities offered by newer properties. We would not have changed, not even for the ritzy Riu. All that said, if we had not been Club members, would we think this property is competitive with Iberostar or others for the same price nearby? Perhaps not. Just being truthful. However, I cannot say enough superlatives about Francisco, Denisse, Adiele and all the other people who helped us at the Club. The beach is absolutely gorgeous, but other properties share this same beach. The real value of Allegro Playacar is the staff. I cannot stress this enough. We are going to Costa Rica (Occidental again) in a couple of weeks so I will let you know the opinion there :) Bottom line, we had a wonderful trip and whatever flaws existed in the infrastructure were more then compensated for by the Club staff and the location.

3  Thank STLTourist385
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We were there for 7 nights, my husband and Me, Room 2- daughters and their friends. We had to have a room change the first day because the shower fell off the wall and the safe locked us out...Day2, new room for hubby and I. Had to have maintenance almost every day because the safe locked us out every day. Rooms need updated very bad. Very low water pressure, but very clean (although we did tip the maid daily, which everyone should, they work very hard for very little) BUT....the resort was beautiful, pools very nicely kept, the beach was the best we have been to in the Riveria Maya, bar service was great ( a tip or two goes a long way). Probably the best food we have ever had at an all inclusive. Every night at the buffet was different, the Specialty restaurants (Mexican and Italian) were excellante. The best of all was the entertainment staff. Thanks to Ingrid (she was our favorite), Sergio, Jorge ( Hor-Hay) Elvis, and Roberto.. Absolutely so much fun. Many activities to keep you laughing. Nightly entertainment was great..The beach service was great ( once again a few dollars goes a long way) They would bring you food if you wanted. We have been to several all inclusives in the riveria maya and this was the best for the price. If you are looking for a six star resort, then find one and pay for it. This was definitely a four and a half and would be a five if the rooms were updated. Yes the beds were hard, but the rooms were clean and if you had had enough fun during the day, then you will be able to sleep on a hard mattress...then you get up in the morning and have a mimosa or two....We normally do not go back to the same place twice but we would come back here because of the fun and the price. Thank you Juan ( Dive Center where you can book excursions) for all your help..You will not be disappointed if you are going to have fun and not just critique the the unexpected disappointments. this was an awesome place to vacation with family and friends..

Room Tip: 2nd floor was great because you had a cathedral ceiling of thatched roof. it rained every night we...
4  Thank melinda h
Reviewed July 18, 2013

The cost of our all-inclusive trip, including airfare, was cheaper than the flight alone. That being said, we were willing to overlook some of the hotel's imperfections because it was still worth the savings. The staff was incredibly friendly (especially Antonio, Nestor and Angel); there is easy access to book excursions; the beach and grounds are beautiful and clean; the entertainment is fun; there was a great variety of food; we appreciated all of the bar options and multiple restaurants. Our only complaints were the following: uncomfortable beds, a few bugs in the room (slightly understandable because of location), poor lighting in the rooms, and lack of updated bathrooms.

Room Tip: We had the option of paying $10 for a Superior Premium room, which meant we were closer to the beach...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank allenej
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Since I only have 200 words let me sum it up for you guys in one word: disgusting. I was very disappointed. The food at the buffet got me and a few members of my family terribly sick. I was on the toilet 4 times in one day and that was on multiple days. The restaurants were ok, but the service was somewhat slow and we were lucky to even get a reservation. The rooms are so gross. We had to switch rooms due to mold in the sink and tub. To be honest we were terrified to walk around without our flip flops on. The beds were not comfortable and were outdated. There were also so many mosquitos..IN THE ROOM! I was killing them left and right and when they came to spray, it seemed as if there were more mosquitos than fewer. It didn't help that there was a jungle outside my door. It's really tragic that I have to give the hotel this many stars because the people that work here are so nice and are doing what they can to accommodate these absolutely horrific rooms. From the outside the resort is absolutely beautiful. The ocean is right there and there are two pools to lay out at. I blame Occidental corporate for the reviews that are ones and twos. There is no reason Occidental Allegro can't look like Occidental Royal...right next door.

Room Tip: Go next door to Occidental Royal Hideaway.
2  Thank Patriciabbrunner
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Allegro Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear Patriciabbrunner,

We are really worried about the negative experience that you find during your stay with us. Our staff have been made aware of your review and are currently verifying that all rooms are in good condition. We would like to inform you that our resort is ongoing renovations’ which include: brand new thatched roofs on all buildings, new décor and update of sinks and bathtubs in rooms.

Please accept our apologies for the issues you had with the room due to the mosquitos. Our resort it is located in a Tropical-Caribbean zone, and July is a raining season. We have a pest control which works to offer you a comfortable stay.

In the same way we shared your comments with our Food & Beverages Manager is also aware of your disappointment and is looking into ways to enhance of food options at the buffet and our beverages quality.

Sincerely

Reviewed July 16, 2013

I have to agree with Tracy C. from Vancouver. The Allegro is probably closer to a 3 star. I give it a 3.5 because the grounds are well maintained and we found everything to be very clean.
Most of the reviews on here are very accurate.
Check-in: We never got a greeting or any kind of welcome drink like I've read on here - no big deal. Our daughter's room was ready, but ours was not. We waited until 4:00 for our room and were given 3 different #'s before being sent to building 2. They were painting or something in the room next to us and had walkie talkies going and sanding so I asked for another room. Of course they were 'over booked' and couldn't move us. I was expecting that so just went with it.
Food: The food is adequate, but they should have a little more variety. My daughter is a vegetarian and got tired of eating pasta and salad - and the spaghetti sauce was awful. It tasted like plain sauce straight from a can. I didn't want to try the Italian restaurant because if everything was made with that sauce, it wouldn't be that good. The veggie burgers at the pool bar were not very good. My husband and I were always able to find something we liked.
Rooms: They are bare bones. Nothing fancy here. Single sink with no counter space for any toiletries. There's shampoo and gel in the shower, but no conditioner or body lotion so make sure to bring your own. They did have a shower cap (does anyone really use these?), q-tips, and a sewing kit. There's an iron and ironing board. There's no dresser to put your clothes in. There's a few shelves and a rod with hangers that are open. We had no problems with water pressure or temperature. We had adjoining doors into the room next door and it was LOUD. We could hear everything going on in the next room and had the misfortune to be next to a couple of older women who had to be hard of hearing. Their TV was blaring and they would talk non-stop louder than the TV. They went to bed late and woke up every morning around 6:30. Even with ear plugs they'd wake us up. Yes, the beds are rock hard and so are the little bricks they called pillows. Another note about the 1st floor rooms. When they clean the 2nd floor, they throw the buckets of water onto the deck and if you happen to be standing below on your own deck, you're going to get hit with a downpour of bleach water. I was walking out of my room and went back in for sunscreen. While I grabbed it off the bed the water came pouring down. Had I not stopped for a second, the water would have dumped right on my head. After that, I made sure to look for the cleaning cart by our rooms.
Pools: There are 2 pools. The one with the swim-up bar seemed more crowded. There were a ton of little kids splashing and playing right by the bar. A lot of times we couldn't get seats at the bar because all the kids were on them. I have 3 kids and just don't think they belong at the swim-up bar splashing and jumping around. The bartender's at the pool bar were great.
Check-out: There was a phone charge of $7 to my daughter's room. Her friend tried to use a calling card to call her mom, but it wouldn't work. She hung up the phone and used the one in the lobby. Apparently, that was a 'connection'. The girl at the desk asked her to write down what transpired and sign a paper. She said she would have had to pay the phone charge if my daughter's friend wouldn't write down what had happened.

The resort sells day passes, which they don't really tell you about. It's $40/adult for the day and kids under 8 are free (maybe why so many kids at the swim-up bar?). All of the amenities are included. It's supposed to be until 6:00 p.m., but a lot of the people were staying well past 6. They also have a night-time pass, but the people I spoke with only had day passes. Anyone can buy a day pass.

We've stayed at almost all of the resorts on the Playacar beach as well as others in the area so I have a lot to compare the Allegro to. For the money, it's a fine resort. You're not paying RIU Palace prices, so don't expect a 4 or 5 star resort. The big drawback for me was the amount of people purchasing day passes and having a free-for-all. That alone would keep me from going back.

6  Thank Colette P
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Beautiful grounds coupled with good food and great service made this a vacation to remember. We like to interact with staff and guests with a lots of props and practical jokes, and the staff really got into the spirit of the fun. The grounds were well kept and the beach was clean and plentiful. We found plenty of food to our liking, well prepared and tasty. Our room was well maintained and the staff kept it clean and stocked. The pools were very clean and tested regularly. Some may not like the smaller resorts, but there was a good ratio of ground to guest, where you didn't feel crowded. Plenty of chairs around the pool, places to set and eat. Short walks to all the activities, food and beverages. Good selection of libations and knowledgeable bartenders who would remember just what you ordered before.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
4  Thank Bryan W