“Definitely a great experience”
Review of Allegro Playacar

Allegro Playacar
Ranked #77 of 215 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed May 25, 2013

The hotel is set in lush well kept gardens . It is on the Beach with 2 excellent swimming pools. Rooms are basic but adequate and the staff give excellent service. The walk up the never ending ramp to the restaurant is difficult for those with even slight walking difficulties. Oh why not a lift or escalator. We stayed in block 25 which was very central. Low numbered blocks get the full blast of the evening entertainment sound systems. We would stay here again without hesitation. In May we found the waves very powerful and the sea difficult to enter unless you swim strongly.

Room Tip: Try to get the higher number rooms. Lower numbers are blasted by the evening entertainment
6  Thank Iansheffield_13
Write a ReviewReviews (5,489)

Reviewed May 23, 2013

We flew down for a long weekend and didn't want to spend a lot of money on such a short trip, so we chose this place. Have been to Playa del Carmen 2 or 3 three times a year for the last 5 years, and always stayed at 4 1/2 to 5 star resorts,so I wasn't expecting much. Wow, was I surprised! From the moment we walked in, we were treated so well, and I have to say we never met one staff member - from housekeeping on up - who wasn't friendly and eager to make sure we had a good time. It's not always like that at a high end resort.
The lay out of the place was fabulous. The rooms were fine - who are you people that even care how big the room is - are you spending any time in there besides sleeping? What blew me away was the fact that I could sit at the swim up bar, look out over the pool and see the beach and beautiful water beyond. The bartenders, Humberto especially, were fantastic, making sure we always had a drink, and making sure we were happy with what we were drinking. Once I mentioned, after they asked, that my cocktail was sweeter than I normally liked, and they went and made me a different drink they thought I'd like better. Talk about service - they actually care that you're happy with everything!! At lunch they had a buffet, and a grill and a pizza/pannini place right by the beach, right in the middle of the action, right by the pool and that was perfect. I've seen people gripe about the food in their reviews but it was good, with lots of variety. I've had worse at 5 star places. Regarding food, we ate at the Italian restaurant twice, and it was delicious. A huge shout out to the hostess there, Lenny, and her staff. Wonderful service. I enjoyed being able to hang at the bar in front of this restaurant, and have a drink and chillax before dinner. Another shout out to Ivan, the entertainment director. I've never seen someone more suited for his position than him. He was fun, and he truly wanted you to have a good time too. From salsa lessons to volleyball, the entertainment team was all over it.
We walked up and down the beach, which I love to do, and even checked out some of our neighboring resorts, and I was so glad we were staying where we were. They other places seemed very crowded and chaotic compared to ours. Several of them had waverunners and boats all over the front of their beaches, which is annoying to me, as it blocks the view.
To anyone thinking of staying here, I highly recommend it. Regarding the complaints I've seen on here - yes it's an older place, yes people save spots on the beach/poolside(I've seen far worse, and we could always find a place), yes the a/c could be a bit cooler, but for the money this is a win/win place. Go for it!

Room Tip: The higher the room number, the closer you are to the beach
7  Thank Melawell
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Allegro Playa car is generally a good hotel in an excellent location on a magnificent beach. The staff are friendly and very hard working.

Due to an early flight we arrived at 1030 am but had to wait until 3 pm before being given a room. Why don’t they just give out rooms as they become available as opposed to a set time. They do however take you luggage and allow you to start using the facilities.

The property is divided into small 8 room buildings with thatched roofs. We were initially given a poor room backing onto the side of another hotel next to a loud generator room and on the 1st floor (2nd level in American speak). The problem was that there was no ceiling other than the thatched roof which does not work well with air con and every so often dust and rubbish would fall into the room and onto the bed. On speaking to the reception staff they were very good and changed my room the following day to a much better one that was right by the beach and on the ground floor.
All the rooms are dated but clean and the beds are uncomfortable as they are just mattresses placed on a concrete block.

Taking into account however that this is a 4 star resort, it is lacking some basics. The rooms don’t have any alarm clocks, the air conditioning is unpredictable, there is no non-motorised water sports included and internet is expensive.

They divide their guests up between 1st class (time share guests) and 2nd class (regular guests). There is a lack of loungers by the pool or shaded loungers by the beach unless you in the 1st class group.
On another note you will be continually annoyed by the time share sales people who have have the cheek to leave a note on your door stating that “their sorry that they missed you but to attend their desk to receive a free gift”. Don’t its time share sales.

There is a general lack of information with regards to resort facilities and you have to keep asking at the front desk. All other resorts we’ve stayed in had a very well put together information book or binder in the rooms which detailed everything about the resort and area.

The TV only has basic channels all of which are dedicated in Spanish with only some programmes shown in English.

We would defiantly return to the area but perhaps another resort.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms.
3  Thank Zak33
Reviewed May 21, 2013

The room: Got there on the night of the 15th. Paid for a superior supreme room and upon arrival placed into a standard room. The front desk did NOT care to mention this to us, until I had to call later and ask why I paid for a ro closer to the beach and did not receive that. The front desk assistant (Carmen) insisted they did not have the space available that day. So do you just over book without informing your guests? And charge me for it anyway? Moving forward, the hotel informed me I would be moved the next day, and we were in fact relocated closer to the beach. The room wasn't much nicer, they are VERY outdated, the beds are terribly hard and they look dirty- although they are cleaned daily. It must be because everything is old. The covers are terrible also. very rough. On the plus side- The maids were very nice :)

The food: HORRIBLE! Bland! The fish was scary because it sat out a while in the heat. Nothing had flavor and the menu did not have much of a variety. My guest and I both got very very sick. I was sick 2 Friday and then again Sunday, and he was sick Saturday, then again Sunday. I believe it was due to the food. The burger bar seemed like a good idea, but after biting into a burger we noticed it was not cooked thoroughly. The cook was in a rush because a lined formed waiting on fresh burgers.

The poolside bar: drinks were not that great. They use cheap alcohol, but what's to be expected when its an all inclusive resort? I felt very nauseous after drinking the piña coladas. The bartenders were not very friendly. There was one in particular, Lucas, that was extremely RUDE. We placed several orders with him, he would walk off like he was going to make them and I would see him on the other side serving other people. After 7 mins (counted) he retuned and asked if someone else got our drinks. OF COURSE imbecile, we have drinks in our hands! He would look at us and laugh like it was a joke. Another bartender (not sure of name, but older with some silver teeth) he was the nicest guy ever! Always made sure to ask if we were ok on drinks, even if he was dealing with other people. Also, this wasn't a 24/7 all inclusive which sucks because people like to drink past 1 a.m

The activities: absolutely nothing to do at night. Sure,there were were a few shows at night outside in the theatre area, but it got so overly crowded and the music was blaring it just wasn't a fun time. There should be more fun activities at night. During the day I tried the parachute activity off the back of the boat which was kind of neat, BUT they over charged me. They said it would be 110 usd, and when I got back to the states and checked my bank statement it was charged 121 usd. The amount on my credit card slip read pesos, so I did not notice until later.

This was just all around a bad trip for us. Last year we visited the Gran Porto Real about 15 mins away and it was much more exciting, luxurious and cleaner. I will not recommend this place to anyone. Ever.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Bribripetunia
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stayed at the Allegro Playacar in April of 2013, and while we had a good time, there are several reasons why we would not return to this resort.

We arrived at approximately 11 a.m. on a Saturday, and our room was not ready, but we were given our bracelets, and encouraged to enjoy the facilities that the resort had to offer. Sylvia at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. Surprisingly, our room was ready around 1 p.m., and we were given an “upgrade” because we had contacted the social media manager ahead of time regarding a special event (birthday).

Our “upgraded” room was a lower-level room very close to the beach and pool. It had a king bed, a TV with a horrible picture, and a clean-but-needing-some-repair bathroom. We were not charged for the use of our safe. We were among most of the timeshare owners’ rooms, and it was very easy to tell which room was ours, due to the cheap plastic furniture on the patio instead of the cushioned wicker furniture that the “premium” rooms displayed. We didn’t use the patio, so it wasn’t a big deal to us, but it was an indication of how this hotel treats their timeshare owners differently from their regular guests.

The food was fine. We aren’t picky eaters, nor are we connoisseurs, so we were pleased with what we had. We ate at the Italian restaurant, and while the food was good, service was extremely slow. It was also stifling hot inside the restaurant despite the air conditioning being on. Due to the bad service and heat, we didn’t patron the Mexican restaurant, and spent the rest of our trip eating at the buffet, which was delicious and plentiful. Breakfast was the best meal of the day, by far, and the Allegro’s French toast was yummy. Chips, guacamole, Pico de Gallo, hot dogs, and nachos were always available at the poolside grill, and the Allegro also served undercooked hamburgers and oily fries at a hamburger stand during lunch time.

The main pool is large, and in need of repair, especially at the swim-up bar. It was crumbling into the pool from a lack of maintenance. Getting service at the swim-up bar was sketchy; sometimes it was great, other times you’d have to ask multiple people multiple times to get a drink. I’ve traveled all over the Caribbean and have never experienced such a service discrepancy—especially in a hotel bar. Most bartenders are friendly, having a good time with guests. The guys at the Allegro weren’t friendly, and did not provide very good service.

Our biggest problem with the resort—and the main reason we will not return—is because of the timeshare salespeople. They are parked right outside the main lobby and main buffet areas, meaning you cannot go to the lobby or buffet without being hassled. We told them on day one that we weren’t interested in doing their presentation, but they continued to hound us every single day about it. We got notices from them on our door about coming to see them and get our “free gift”. They would follow us down the walkway, badgering us about their “great free breakfast”, and got offended when my husband told them we already enjoyed the Allegro’s “free” breakfast. I normally can shrug off salespeople, but they are relentless at the Allegro. I paid a lot of money for my vacation, and wanted to relax, not waste my time to make another large purchase. Had I known about the timeshare people ahead of time, I would have never booked the Allegro, so if that is something that would bother or annoy you on vacation, take that into consideration.

Some other issues that were very annoying are, as others have mentioned, the “Towel Game”. We didn’t play it, so we lost out, and rarely had a place to sit. The Allegro would do well to provide its guests with more chairs and palapas. Oh that’s right…they do. For their timeshare “premium” guests, who always had chairs and palapas available to them in sectioned-off areas. They clearly segregate the “haves” from the “have nots” at this resort, and as a paying guest unable to find a chair to sit in around either of the pools or on the beach, I found that pretty offensive and unreasonable. There is no reason the Allegro cannot either provide more chairs for their non-timeshare guests, or have staff members remove towels and personal effects from chairs that sit empty for hours.

If you’re looking for a relatively inexpensive vacation and don’t mind a few bumps, you’ll have a great time at the Allegro. The beach is pretty, the resort is fairly well maintained, and very clean, and most of the staff is pretty friendly and helpful. If you don’t like segregation of classes, or timeshare harassment, or inconsistent service, you may want to check elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank HazelEyedGinger
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Allegro Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Dear chollinger,

First of all thank you for choosing our resort as your holiday place and thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are always concerned about our guests’ well-being and strive to make their holiday at our property an unforgettable experience.

I must apologize if the actions of the Vacation Club team were inappropriate. Their staff should be providing personalized service to our guests. I will relay your feedback to the Vacation Club Director to avoid a future occurrence. We always try to provide the best service to all our guests, thus your comments are taken in earnest. Rest assured that we strive to provide the best of quality and service to all of our guests equally.

Please accept our sincere apologies for not reaching your overall dining experience and for the lack of service you encountered at the Italian restaurant and at The Grill, we pride ourselves on our impeccable service and we usually receive great feedback. I assure you that I will address your comments with the Food & Beverages manager to ensure that we are maintaining our high standards.

I am very sorry to read about your experience with the beach loungers, we want all of our guests to enjoy our sunny weather and relax by the beach and pool in the comfort of their own chair. To do so, we’ve implemented a policy that consists on release all the unoccupied chairs for more than 20 minutes. We understand the hassle caused by this experience, therefore our security staff is now ensuring our rules are being strictly followed.

It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Sincerely

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Booked an all inclusive here with myself and my nephew. He had a budget and I wanted to show him the Caribbean side of Mexico. This seemed like a good choice close to the town of Playa del Carmen. I knew this was not a high end resort so my expectations were limited.
I liked the physical look of the resort and the beach was awesome! After that, however, the quality went downhill. Our room was quite simple with variable availability of hot water (I can deal with that) but food was bland at best and the drinks were uninspired. You can definitely find better food! (A word of advice - no bottled water here so insist on the water from the large bottle tap and do not accept the directions to go to the soda fountain water. Might be coincidence but we both got sick one day after drinking water from the soda type fountain.)
Knowledge of staff is questionable with respect to the local rules (eg taxi fares, local restaurants...) Mexican toilets are notorious for backing up but 2 Canadian boys had to flush multiple times during the process to ensure success.
Rooms are pretty compact and air con/fan is not very reliable.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank drdave007
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed at the Allegro Playacar twice over a 10 day period. The first stay the room was fine-ac worked but poorly was tolerable and email requests to have all 3 rooms near each other and on lower floors were obliged at check in. Arrived at 1:00pm and had to wait until 3:30 to be given a room. The food was the best I have ever had at an all inclusive resort-Fresh, varied and plentiful-with lots of options. Housekeeping was good as well as wait staff and most of the front desk staff.
On our return for the second stay, despite all 3 rooms being requested separately to be put near each other was not granted. With some re-arranging 2 of the rooms were near each other but the other room was on the other side of the property-3 women travelling together, proximity gave us a more secure feeling. 2 of us were assigned 1304 and 1301-These rooms are in bad shape-very run down with tubs peeling, dented and scarred furniture, lampshades with holes burned, toilet continuously ran-fixed it myself 3 times, phone didn't work-one room we had a lot of issues with the lock-first couldn't get in-then had difficulty getting out and both rooms the ac did not work. They were doing construction on the bungalow beside our rooms so they were construction noises including intermittent power sawing-not a peaceful or relaxing environment. I advised the front desk my ac was not working and was told they would move me.....not fix it. The temperature that day was 29 celsius-I checked out of that room at 11:00am and was not given another room until 2:45pm. I had a conversation with Cynthia at the front desk at 2:00pm asking if they had a room for me and was very abruptly and arrogantly told there are no rooms available and had to wait another 30 minutes-Correct me if I am wrong-check out is 11:00am-had no one checked out?. No apologies were made to me for the inconvenience or hot night I had spent in the room the night before-or offer to move my luggage from one side of the property to other to a room that was on the second floor. I have arthritis in my knee and asked a young male employee if he could carry by luggage up the stairs and was told "No". This room was much better but the AC was very weak-the coolest the room got was 25 Celsius. There is a charge of $10/day US for the internet-the signal is intermittent and not strong enough to do voice skype call without loosing the signal several times. Also I noted at check out if you want to weigh your bags before going to the airport they charge 10 pesos. I feel if my issue with the lack ac had been handled more graciously by Cynthia I would have left the property with a much better attitude-as I do realize there can be issues with rooms anywhere it's just how the issues are handled by the representitive of the property here which has left me feeling negative- Due to this I know the 3 of us will not be returning there

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Winnie211

Dear Winnie211,

We truly appreciate the time you took to write your review; our guest’s feedback helps us to focus our attention in the areas where we need improvement and to enhance our guest’s experience.

We are very happy to read you enjoyed the quality and variety of the food in the resort, our executive chef strives to offer a wide selection of gourmet specialties and regional dishes and it is very flattering to know that we have reached your dining expectations.

On behalf of the entire team, I would like to express my sincerest apologies that your second stay was not to our expected level of service, from your arrival to the quality of your room. I have followed up with our Director of Housekeeping to address your comments about the A/C and we are currently verifying that all equipments are in perfect condition and ensure guests well-being.

Additionally, we are very sorry for the shortcomings you encountered with the location of your rooms, we do our best to accommodate all guest preferences, however it can be challenging during high season and thus we can’t guarantee them.

We are saddened to read that our attempts to make your stay more enjoyable were unsuccessful, and it is unfortunate to read that you did not receive the welcome feeling you were expecting. We hope, that despite this experience, you present us an opportunity to show you the level of service you have come to know and expect of our property. We look forward to a return visit from you.